PDA

View Full Version : Garth hits UK

angelamccann
11-12-2001, 08:27 AM
Would you believe the store nearest to where I work, which opens at 8am and was therefore ideally suited to receive my custom (oops, how British of me), DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING BY GARTH, LET ALONE 'SCARECROW'?????

I would have ranted at the girl sitting on the till as to why they didn't have it, but she looked so tired and miserable, it was obvious she didn't have Garth in her life, so instead I sent a few thanks to the GarthAngels for my blessings and slunk off to work.

10am comes and I know I can't wait till the end of the day - so I tell my boss I'm taking an early lunch and will be out for longer than usual. She sees the wild look in my eyes and acquiesces.

12.10 - I see the clock, stop in the middle of what I'm doing, grab jacket and bag and run to the tube station, hotfoot it to HMV... and there he is. I can see him as I descend the escalator into the country section. Two copies (1 to play, 1 to keep sealed), to the cash desk, pay, out and on the bus back to work without even looking at anything else in the store.

On the bus I look at the covers - I was going to play one as soon as I got back to work but if the sealed one gets cracked on the way home... It's killing me, but I'm keeping them both safe till I can put them where they belong in my apartment. I've even prepared my evening meal already so it can be reheated before I settle down to *listen* with no interruptions.

Even just knowing the CDs are there in a little bag in my drawer, right next to me, is a GOOD feeling. :) And if I'm this excited without even having opened the case, actually listening may well be too much for me - but I'll manage!

Angela x

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-12-2001, 08:54 AM
Yay Angela! Enjoy your dinner show :)

CC

jstensig
11-12-2001, 09:23 AM
He he - I brought my Discman so I wouldn't have to wait until I got home:)

Jakob

angelamccann
11-12-2001, 01:35 PM
Lucky you, Jakob (says Angela, gritting her teeth and concentrating really hard on stopping herself wanting to kick Jakob in the shins under the computer desk). There was no way I could have concentrated on my work if I'd had Garth playing - now I'm glad I waited because I really needed to sit down and hook my ears around the whole of that album with nothing to distract me :)

I tried really hard not to have expectations of this album - kept saying I'd love it when it arrived, but it's impossible to guarantee that - all one can do is believe it's going to be great.

Great? Scarecrow is more than great - it's amazing listening, moving from light and breezy to a tornado that sweeps the listener off their feet. It's music for every season and every mood. Wrapped Up In You sounds just wonderful with all the additional depth good sound reproduction provides (I'd only heard it in mono up to today), Beer Run still sounds fresh and vibrant even after hearing it dozens of times on George's CD. Some of the songs are so personal (Thicker Than Blood and Pushing Up Daisies to name but two), it's as though Garth has literally opened his soul to us. When You Come Back To Me Again was always going to make me cry. What else? Mr Midnight is reminiscent of Dean Friedman, yet takes any song I've ever heard of Dean's and puts it up on another level of feeling.

And there's a different attitude here too - Garth seems (dare I say it) a little frisky. There's a lot of fun - a lot of freedom, blended with a whole lot of passion. God, I *love* this CD :D

Angela x

Lowland_Kid
11-12-2001, 02:23 PM
I CAN'T WAIT!!!

*sigh*

Marjolijn

jstensig
11-12-2001, 02:38 PM
*LOL* Angela.:)

Jakob

KindanewGarthfan
11-12-2001, 02:41 PM
I hear you Angela
I couldn't get out of my lecture quick enough. There I was trying to make my way through the throngs of shoppers, who all happened to be in town at the same time, rather odd??? As soon as I saw the cd across the shop I just couldn't wait to hear it. Luckily I had come prepared, I 'd brought my personal cd player, and once I had convinced the little old bus driver that I honestly didn't mind waiting on the bus for ten minutes before it left, I put the disk in and pressed play and .....

OH MY GOD, it is fantastic, it really took my breath away. Its fast, upbeat, fun, emotional, moving and very personal. 'Don't cross the river' and 'Beer Run' had me tapping my feet, 'When you come back to me again', 'Pushig up daises' and 'Thicker than blood' bought a tear to my eye, and 'Squeeze me in' and 'Rodeo or Mexico' (my personal favourites along with 'Why ain't I running' and 'When you come back to me again') made me grin rather cheekely.
And when I opened the cd booklet, well all I can say is WOW.
I've had this album six hours, and already its one of my favourite, I love it to pieces. There is something for everyone and every situation, it make you laugh and cry, dance and reflect. It really is great.
Garth should be very proud of it, it is a true work of art

Thank you Garth from the bottom of my heart

Hannah:)

angelamccann
11-12-2001, 04:24 PM
You got all that in ten minutes before the bus left, Hannah? Wow :)

Angela x

BigGfan4life
11-12-2001, 04:27 PM
You guys are making me all soo jealous!! I'm having one of those one-in-a-million kind of bad days and I feel like I'm about to burst into tears at a moments notice, and the only thing that I know will make me feel better is hearing Garth. *Sigh*...I can't WAIT till tomorrow.

On a lighter note, though, I really do appreciate hearing what everyone thinks of the album ahead of time...glad you are all enjoying it :)

Jude
11-13-2001, 03:14 PM
My copy is in the post!!!!!!!

Shipment got delayed!!!!

I have waited this long so another day WILL kill me!!

Jude

KindanewGarthfan
11-14-2001, 11:13 AM
Ahhhh Jude thats awful, hope you coped ok? It would of driven me mad. The album is amazing, so its worth the wait. Let me know what you think
See you next month, I can't wait

Jude
11-17-2001, 04:40 PM
Hannah,

I love the cd! And everyone who gets in my car will have to listen and love it too.

I coped ok but was getting desperate to here it.

Only a few weeks and we'll have a blast!!

Jude

Jude
11-25-2001, 01:02 PM
Hannah

Only a week and we will be Garthin'

Jude

KindanewGarthfan
11-25-2001, 03:59 PM
Im so glad you loved the cd, its so amazing. I know what we'll be listening to on the way back on Sunday, :) lol
One week, woo hoo I can't wait.

Jude
11-25-2001, 04:31 PM
Yep, it will be Garth and Rick all the way.

Jude