PDA

View Full Version : CMA Awards show may not be live....

Darrell
11-02-2001, 01:22 PM
From countrynation.com and tennessean.com

CMA prepares backup plan so show will go on
By BRAD SCHMITT
Staff Writer

The Country Music Association is taking the extraordinary measure of prerecording its nationally televised awards in case security issues force cancellation of Wednesday's live show.

This comes after the CMA consulted with the FBI and other anti-terrorism agencies to provide the most extensive security for the annual show.

Performers are being asked to attend rehearsals in full stage dress and makeup so their performances can be taped. Presenters will be taped announcing all nominees as winners, Executive Director Ed Benson confirmed last night.

The moves will let the CMA air a show even if the live event is canceled at the last minute. The show is one of the CMA's largest sources of income.

''If the show doesn't air, CBS doesn't pay us,'' said Kix Brooks, half of country duo Brooks & Dunn and a member of the CMA's television committee.

Benson also added: ''There's too much that America needs to hear that we have to say.''

Both said it was highly unlikely that the prerecorded show would air.

''We don't anticipate anything happening,'' Benson said.

Here's how the taped version would work: The rehearsal performances would be prerecorded, as would presenters' announcements of each nominee as the winner. For instance, for entertainer of the year, the presenters will pre-record, ''And the winner is Tim McGraw,'' ''And the winner is the Dixie Chicks,'' etc. The actual winner would be the only one to be aired. All nominees would be in a studio in a secret location so that the winner could give a live acceptance speech, to be inserted into the taped portions.

The show is set to air from the Grand Ole Opry House 7-10 p.m. Wednesday on NewsChannel 5.

The Emmys, the first major televised awards show after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, were delayed twice because of security issues. They are scheduled to air Sunday, also on CBS.

twister
11-02-2001, 02:25 PM
cool beans. Could they also pre-record me as the winner of something?

littlebit
11-03-2001, 10:38 PM
"Could they also pre-record me as the winner of something?"

:D :D

seriously tho,

just wanted to say to all those participating

Thank you and we will be wishing that all goes well and ya'll will be safe.

Let no bad happen.

ProducerJ
11-04-2001, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by twister
cool beans. Could they also pre-record me as the winner of something?
My brother uses the expression "Cool Beans" all the time. Any idea where it came from? It sounds like a Saturday night live thing.. or something from a movie.

J.

Shiner03
11-04-2001, 10:57 AM
I really hope all goes according to plan...our local DJ's already know they won...I think the category is called "Radio Personality of the year" They are taking their show to Nashville live for 2 days prior to the CMA's.

We should get some awesome stories. It will be really cool to hear names of people we KNOW being announced...although I think this category is usually pre-recorded anyway.

I do hope all goes well, CMA's the only awards show I really watch.

Tracy

twister
11-04-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ

My brother uses the expression "Cool Beans" all the time. Any idea where it came from? It sounds like a Saturday night live thing.. or something from a movie.

J.

I have no idea where it came from. A friend of mine says it and now i do to.

twister

BLL
11-04-2001, 10:51 PM
I have NO idea where it started, but I remember saying it as far back as 1972!!!!!:eek:

twister
11-05-2001, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BLL
I have NO idea where it started, but I remember saying it as far back as 1972!!!!!:eek:

72!! i wasnt even born!!

twister

BLL
11-05-2001, 10:51 PM
Ummm, thanks, twister.....it's not like my kids don't remind me of my age .... :p (LOLOLOL!!!!!!!)

BTW middle age is 20 years older than you are; just ask me gran-she's nearing 90!!! :):)