PDA

View Full Version : name the artist quoted as saying .............?

fuzzwuzz
11-01-2001, 10:49 PM
I have been wanting to start a thread like this all week, but after seeing this artist's bold statements made recently I couldn't hold back any longer. If you know the answer, please help guide others in the guessing and feel free to add a quote you might have come across too. I'm hoping we all can help each other name the artists as we go along. And comment on the artists words only if we want to.

This one came out today. Source: infobeat.com
I have been the artist with the longest career and I am so proud and honored to be chosen from Heaven to be invincible. The songwriting process is difficult to explain because it's very spiritual - you're in the hands of God and it's as if it's been written already.
That's the real truth. It's like the songs have been written already in their entirety before you were even born, and they just fall into your lap.
I feel guilty having to put my name on the songs sometimes because I write them, compose them, score them - and it's all really the work of God.So. Who do you think could have said that? ;)

jstensig
11-02-2001, 04:42 AM
I really have no idea???

Jakob

ProducerJ
11-02-2001, 11:09 AM
Good heavens - I hope it wasn't a country artist that had that sort of ego!

My guess is going to be Prince, or whatever symbol he's going by these days. Although it kind of sounds Michael Jacksonish too.

Do I get 2 guesses? LOL
J. <--- who loves this idea for a thread!

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-02-2001, 11:42 AM
I'm with Joyce...gotta be Michael Jackson.

CC:)

This is fun! another please!

Kerri
11-02-2001, 03:43 PM
I agree. Sounds like something Michael Jackson would say. Egos like that in country music happen, I'm sure. But I can't picture Reba saying it [she doesn't write.] Nor George. None of them, really. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a quote to add. :)

Palle
11-02-2001, 04:57 PM
I have no idea:o

But I will add another one:)

"It's a fantastic movie and they did a fantastic job. But I thought they just took advantage of a very humble and unknowledgeable man."

Said just before he filed a suit, claiming $3m damages and demanding that the film be barred from television screenings or video release. He lost!

fuzzwuzz
11-03-2001, 01:04 AM
Dang, you guys are good! Ego or not, I kinda think there is some truth at least to what Michael may be trying to say. Music IS a gift from God. He sure seems to have a terrific sense of humor whose lap He freely dishes it out to! I can't remember which prophet it was, but God sent him out to a certain family to 'crown' God's chosen king of Israel over Saul, and it ended up being his last choice(David) of 12 brothers maybe? Well, guess what? David is also the young shepherd that not only slew the giant when the men couldn't, but he was the one with the songwriting(Psalms) and musician(harp) talents! Makes ya wonder sometimes don't it?!

Palle, I'm not sure. Could it be Tim La Hay, co-author of the Left Behind book series, who is trying to stop the making of the movies that follow it, by Ten Cloud Productions?

So. Joyce. And Kerri. You think country artists don't have an ego 'problem' too? This one will refresh your memories I think!
"I was dropped by a label two years ago. They let me walk out of there with the album of the year. I never compromised and it's very sweet to know I was right and everyone else was wrong and that makes me just gush. It's revenge every day, if there's any revenge to be had. I'm kicking their ass from the top here. I'm standing up here lookin' down on them now."

jstensig
11-03-2001, 05:10 AM
WOW - people in the music buissness sure have egos!!!

Yes, Dale - you have some good arguments, but still... it's too much. A bit of humbleness (sp?)would be nice from Michael Jackson.

About country music egos: Dont' forget Garth. I think it's his ego that made him stop. He can't give himself fully now, because he has other responsibilities now - and he doesn't want his SUPERstardom to fade.

I don't understand that way of thinking, but that's what he has chosen and I respect it.

Jakob

(ps: I'm sure he can't stay away from music forever. He just loves it too much!!!!)

Pilgrim
11-03-2001, 06:29 AM
I KNOW PALLE!!!!!!:D

I will keep my mouth shut though;) Hmmm I will give a bit of help;)

The main character say in the movie...

"I'm black, and I'm proud"

*hehehehe*

Dale!
*LOL* Please tell me who I have to trash for that comment *LOL*
I don't know much about him and his record deals, but it sounds very Tim McGraw to me *LOL*
But the "refresh your memories" make it sound like one of the older acts so it could be Waylon Jennings as well :o

Brian

Garth_FANtasizer
11-03-2001, 08:25 AM
Toby Keith! LOL he cracks me up!

~Ann~

Kerri
11-03-2001, 09:31 AM
NOOOOOOOOO! It can't be Tim! LOL
Was it Toby? Geez. Okay. Maybe I was wrong about the ego thing. I have been known...to be...not right....on occassions.
That was kinda hard to say. Hmm. :p
The Michael Jackson thing wasn't completely egotistical, just certain parts.
Okay. I've got two quotes. One is so easy, I figured it'd get guessed quickly. So, I've got another.

"We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere"

"They knew if I didn't make it they were going to have to put me in an insane asylum."

"It doesn't take a superstar; but it takes a man to be
a dad."

Okay. I lied. I had three. I'd forgotten about one of them. They're fairly easy.

I understand if Garth didn't want his Garth-dom to fade. I don't agree with it, because I think he still had a lot of years left. But I can understand not wanting to fall from such a high point in a career.

ProducerJ
11-03-2001, 09:40 AM
You see Dale, most country stars don't have the big egos because Toby got everyone's share. <BEG>

J.

jstensig
11-03-2001, 11:14 AM
Hmmm Brian and Palle.

Who is it??? I can't guees it. Who plays the chracter?

Jakob

Palle
11-03-2001, 12:33 PM
The movie is not about the singer who I quoted. The movie is about a band, and they sing the same kinds of songs as the man who said the words. He thinks he is the greatest performer, and his ego is HUGE, he even thinks he is some kind of father to all the singers that performs this kind of music. I can't help anymore:o

jstensig
11-03-2001, 12:48 PM
I havent't got a clue???:confused:

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-03-2001, 10:36 PM
Oh wow Joyce. You are funny! You know, now that Toby's made it to the top, whatever that is, I'm very happy for him. We need someone like him on top of things, looking down on a changing industry. I hope at the right time he can also step down with the class and humility Garth is showing us that truly can be done.
Maybe if Michael Jackson and Prince (is that the answer Palle?), should learn they are not as invincible as they would have us believe. Stick a cowboy hat and boots on either of them and maybe that would help them fit the saddle better! Let's see if they REALLY have what it takes to ride this rodeo!

Now Kerri, when I look upon Tim McGraw, I see a man very much humble and at peace with himself, both personally and privately, and with his position on top. He must be the one you are quoting, because I remember him also saying something about music having pieces of each other too.

Funny how the ego thing keeps coming up on here. Can you be famous and have %100 ego and %100 humility at the same time? I think of how Garth says he can never do anything less than %100. And his constant struggle with that. Only, now, he says, he is in a good place. And he can start over. Cool!

This was spoken by a well-known performer who attended the Concert for NY. Seems 'we' are now finally getting around to checking our egos out at the door since Sept. 11, 2001.
Because of the bravery of the policeman and firemen of this city, people everywhere are treating each other with respect and compassion. You've given us all something to aspire to. It is the end of a selfish and cynical age. Because you have reminded us of who we really are. We've learned that freedom comes at a terrible price and God help us if we don't do something worthwhile with it. And we are seeing results already in the entire entertainment industry that Garth says is now about to do it's part. I certainly enjoyed seeing all the faces of the people as big as life on the screen as those who are famous were singing their praises!

Palle
11-04-2001, 03:55 AM
Nope, it is not Prince. And as nobody seems to know the answer, I better tell you:

The movie is the superb The Commitments by Alan Parker. The best movie ever made about the music-industry.

The very humble and unknowledgeable man with the biggest ego in the world are the horrible, horrible Godfather of Soul, Mr. James Brown:)

The leadsinger in the band in the movie is called Deco. His real name is Andrew Strong, and his voice and understaniding of music is way better than James Brown, so I think the only reason Mr. Brown wanted to stop the movie was because he was afraid Strong would go out and be a bigget star than he was.

jstensig
11-04-2001, 07:58 AM
OK - now I remember the quote "I'm black and I'm proud".:)

Dale... I'm not sure I understand it... is it Toby keith or what???

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-04-2001, 12:50 PM
Yeah, it was Toby. But what about the next quote from the concert from NY? Who do ya think?

Palle, I don't think I've heard of that movie, but I've missed out on a lot of movies in the last 10 years or more. Can you give us another quote? Or maybe you can Brian? How about you Jakob?

jstensig
11-04-2001, 03:13 PM
Dale - I dont' know much about most country singers... it's limited how much I read up on other singers on the net... :o

We only have one country magazine here in Denmark (well actually it's an import of "CountryMusic" from USA).
So - my knowledge of other musicians is quite limited.:o

- But I sure enjoy this thread.

Jakob

Kerri
11-04-2001, 05:20 PM
My first quote was Tim. My second quote was Faith. My third quote was Tim.
:)

jstensig
11-04-2001, 05:41 PM
Kerri - I liked the two "Tim's"

Jakob

Pilgrim
11-04-2001, 06:09 PM
I don't know any quotes either:o

Brian

Kerri
11-04-2001, 08:42 PM
Thank you!

fuzzwuzz
11-05-2001, 12:45 PM
Ok. Am I losing you guys already with too many comments?

Here's a clue to the answer to the performer that spoke at Concert for NY. He starred as the 'green/mean one' in a recent newer adaption of one of Garth's all time favorite movies.

And while we are at it, let's keep this going. I will be very surprised if anyone comes close to guessing this one.
I make music. I think that thatís coming in touch with God when I write a story, when I come up with a phrase or paint a picture, because thatís about creating. Art gives people a reason to be alive. It gives people something to believe in. I think art is the only thing thatís spiritual in the world.Good luck!

mistydawn42450
11-05-2001, 01:19 PM
YOU are wright there is some big egoes up in heare I hope garth did not have that big of an egoe Hey I have and idea let's have something like a contest but we wount be giving away any prizes unless you can think of some let's see who is the biggest Garth fan by how much they really no about him .

fuzzwuzz
11-05-2001, 09:13 PM
Hi Misty. Gee, I don't know. I'd have to say we are ALL big Garth fans here.

NYstar314
11-06-2001, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Ok. Am I losing you guys already with too many comments?

Here's a clue to the answer to the performer that spoke at Concert for NY. He starred as the 'green/mean one' in a recent newer adaption of one of Garth's all time favorite movies.

And while we are at it, let's keep this going. I will be very surprised if anyone comes close to guessing this one.Good luck!

Is it Jim Carrey?

no1cowgirl
11-06-2001, 04:34 PM
Jim Carey Rules. :) I also think it's him...

Dale, did ya know that my cousin played "Little Cindy Lou Who" in the new Grinch movie? :) Taylor Momsen. She also is in a new movie with her little sister (Sloan Momsen) and Mel Gibson called "We Were Soliders Once...And Young". It's a Vietnam War Era movie about a general...and Taylor and Sloan (who has the bigger part in this movie), play 2 of the general's children. :)

Anyways...I'm done plugging now. *L*

Krista

fuzzwuzz
11-06-2001, 09:41 PM
And Krista, I have yet to see the movie. Sounds good, both of them. Congrats to your cousin.

Now, to get back to the last quote. Here it is again. And I'll try and find another from the same artist that might help us along.
I make music. I think that thatís coming in touch with God when I write a story, when I come up with a phrase or paint a picture, because thatís about creating. Art gives people a reason to be alive. It gives people something to believe in. I think art is the only thing thatís spiritual in the world.

basil
11-10-2001, 08:33 AM
i dont think some one sing country songs says something like that because they are simple people and they dont have that too too much eago
it the words of some Paranoid mind like the prince or M.J

fuzzwuzz
11-11-2001, 12:58 PM
basil, you may be right! One more clue, then I hope someone comes up with a good country artist quote. Those 'simple' people sure seem to have a better way with words and sense of identity than this 'freaky' guy...
"To me, Satan ultimately represents rebellion. Lucifer was the angel that was kicked out of heaven because he wanted to be God. To me, what greater character to identify with?...Maybe I should become a Christian and make them all happy...But I think if I found Jesus--which, I didn't know he was lost in the first place--I don't think he would be all that different from me." ~beliefnet.com interview~

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-12-2001, 02:47 AM
ok...wild guess...Rick James.

CC

fuzzwuzz
11-12-2001, 11:58 AM
Gee CC, I couldn't imagine! Lol!

Imagine, but only briefly, please, of every parents nightmare to their children's ears and hearts. And think, Alice Cooper seems so sweet and innocent compared to this guy. Didn't Alice even have an album called Welcome to my Nightmare?

But enough of this gorey stuff. Can't someome give us something with better substance? Someone worth quoting to our children?

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-12-2001, 02:05 PM
So was that a confirmation of a correct or incorrect answer Dale? I'm not sure lol. If not, my only other guess would be Marilyn Manson.

I will try to find some quotes. Until then, I will enjoy guessing some more :)This is an interesting and fun thread. Thanks for starting it Dale :)

CC

fuzzwuzz
11-12-2001, 02:41 PM
But I don't want to bog down this thread with his or my comments. I seem to be confusing what should be flowing smoothly. Hope you find something CC. Any others care to keep this going too?

jstensig
11-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Keep 'em coming - this is an interesting thread!

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-13-2001, 12:42 AM
I'll try Jakob. Don't you have anthing interesting to share?

jstensig
11-14-2001, 12:10 PM
Sorry no:(

I'll try if I can find something.

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-14-2001, 02:26 PM
when asked in a recent interview: You've said that "_________" emerged fully formed from a dream. What is your personal understanding of inspiration?

I don't understand it at all. I think life is quite mysterious and miraculous. And I don't want to know...I find the magic in it so - it's a faith thing...it's a great spiritual belief that there's something really magical there. And that is what helped me write "_________." Something to do with me, something to do with my love of music and my faith in the process. But I don't quite know what it is and I don't want to know.

jstensig
11-15-2001, 10:11 AM
No idea:confused:

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-15-2001, 11:31 PM
Ok. He says "____ ________"(his band's name) are like four sides of a square. Without any side, the square collapses."

The song title scrambled...

drayteeys

BlueRose
11-16-2001, 03:59 PM
Paul McCartney, The Beatles, Yesterday

Cheryl

no1cowgirl
11-16-2001, 06:35 PM
That was good, Cheryl *L* How was GMA? :) :)

Here's another one:

"I've always managed to do exactly what I want, and largely it's coincided with popular tastes, which I like--rather than, say, 'OK, what's the formula here? How do I sound like Britney Spears this week, or *NSYNC?' Well, I can't, and I don't, so I just really make the record for myself and my friends and musicians. If it flies up the flagpole, great. If it doesn't, we'll have another go a couple of years later."

:( Krista :)

fuzzwuzz
11-17-2001, 01:19 AM
Did you read the new Reader's Digest too Cheryl? Hey! I saw you at GMA! I rewound and slowed the play just so I could drink in your smile and wave back to you longer! Lol! You all looked so happy today! Gee! I wonder why?

Krista,I was gonna say Billy Gillam but I don't think he's old enough to think that far ahead.

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-18-2001, 01:02 AM
Hey Krista~ I'm going to guess...Mark McGuinn

CC

no1cowgirl
11-18-2001, 01:38 AM
Hmmmm good guesses, but no luck :)

Krista