PDA

View Full Version : Evelyn Shriver's response to Garth.....(from the Tennessean)

Trishy
10-31-2001, 08:55 AM
'Beer' brawl? Garth fires his own salvo

From Tennessean music writer Peter Cooper:

Garth Brooks fired back Monday at George Jones' manager/record label chief Evelyn Shriver, who said, essentially, Garth failed to deliver on his promises to the Possum on their duet, Beer Run. The main point of contention: Garth yanked Beer Run as his first single, saying the song's message (''Hey, let's go get beer!'') was inappropriate in the wake of September's terrorist attacks.

Interviewed Monday morning, Garth said he and Jones aren't quarreling.

''Jones has every number for me, and if he has a problem with me he can call me,'' Garth said. ''The problem isn't Jones. It's a lady I met once — at Tammy Wynette's funeral — and for some reason she has something against me. She was on a national television show (PBS's Charlie Rose) just ripping my a.. two or three years ago, saying my music was forgettable.''

''I didn't want to work with her or other people he's surrounded himself with that nail me every week in the paper,'' Garth said. ''It's bad marketing to think if there's some kind of stink that can be raised here that more attention will go to George Jones and the record.''

At a listening party Monday evening, Garth also asserted that Shriver used George's 1999 car crash to drum up publicity for the Possum's Cold Hard Truth album.

Will this beer thing ever come to a head?

More from Peter Cooper:

Evelyn Shriver, George Jones' manager/record label chief, is less than pleased with Garth Brooks assertions described above.

''In terms of my willingness to use anything to sell records, it seems to me that Garth is a master of that himself,'' she said yesterday morning. ''I do take great exception to the statement that I used George's car accident to sell records. We had an album scheduled to come out, and we released it to great acclaim. We achieved gold status and George won a Grammy… I know that it thrilled George to have this reaction to his music and I make no apologies for what we achieved.''

Yeah, but what about the alleged broken promises?

''Garth knows the truth about how he has treated George throughout this process. He did a lot of posturing about what he, Garth Brooks, was going to do for George Jones. The Sept. 11 tragedies have affected us all — not just Garth Brooks — but they have not negated our obligations. I only spoke up when it became apparent that Garth had no intention of honoring his promises to George.''

Stay tuned tomorrow to see if the Garth-George duet might be part of the CMA show Nov. 7. Looks like it might happen.

missy1462
10-31-2001, 09:03 AM
If there was one person in this world that I could personally fire from their job ..... guess who it would be? This woman has a real attitude problem, doesn't she?

If I were George I would rather have no publicity than all the bad publicity she keeps stirring up.

Missy

Lost 'n' Garth
10-31-2001, 09:07 AM
Okay..I am not sure if I am too crazy about this Evelyn person...
I still would like to hear George's version of the story..not hers..ya know.

Thanks for posting the article.

Cheri :)

Garth_FANtasizer
10-31-2001, 09:47 AM
Now it is plain as day why Garth is reluctant to respond to the negative remarks and lies made about him. He knows it will fuel the flames for reporters wanting a story, and has beens lke Evelyn Shriver, who can't get in the papers at all w/o riding on Garth's fame. :rolleyes:

Oh well - I for one will not give her anymore of my attention. She had her 15 minutes worth. I know Garth's loyalty and integrity for the people he has worked with. No one has ever complained before. Quite the opposite.

To Ms. Shriver - I flick a booger on her!

~Ann~

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
10-31-2001, 09:51 AM
:eek: eeeewww Ann! LOL

Chris Gaines
10-31-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Trishy
Stay tuned tomorrow to see if the Garth-George duet might be part of the CMA show Nov. 7. Looks like it might happen.

Wow.. and to think.. someone said.. "too much a process goes into singing on that show...

...but it looks liek it'll happen...

Jason

Cheryl
10-31-2001, 02:17 PM
To Ms. Shriver - I flick a booger on her!

ROFLMAO! :)

Yep, I agree....she is NOT worth the time of day she's already had.

Wendi5000
10-31-2001, 03:37 PM
So George accuses Garth of something, Garth accuses someone else of something, they accuse Garth of something else....

Sounds about like the quarrels we have been known to have here.

My message to the music industry in general - "Grow up!"

kiwigbfan
10-31-2001, 03:46 PM
Roll on November 7 - if Garth does appear in any shape or form, singing whatever @ the CMA's, I think I shall fall off my chair, crawl to the TV and give it a whopping great hug. :cool:

A public thanks to Mary Liz who's going to tape the show for me - I'd love it if he sang WYCBTMA - that's one of my favorite songs. In fact I got the DVD from Amazon just for the song - however it turned out to be a not too bad movie so I get the best of both worlds. YIPEE!! :)

Carey

diem nash
10-31-2001, 04:35 PM
Well, I think, that woman is poison for the friendship of Garth Brooks and George Jones. I have no idea, why she is doing this and why she dislikes Garth so much. I think, it´s "hard" enough for him to handle it all. Garth himself told, that he has a lot of respect for George Jones and that he is real shy, when that "big" man is in the same room. Remember! They couldn´t sing together. Garth really respects George. It´s not getting easier with that! So, "lady" play with your dolls and let the adults do their job!
Thank you!
:-)

kiwigbfan
10-31-2001, 05:01 PM
And this today from www.country.com

Garth Brooks Open to Performing With Jones
Jay Orr
10/30/2001

Garth Brooks leaves open the possibility that he and George Jones could perform together on The 35th Annual CMA Awards, set for Nov. 7 on CBS.

“I’m not talking to the CMAs [in Nashville],” Brooks told country.com Monday (Oct. 29). “Our discussions are with [senior vice president for specials] Jack Sussman with CBS in L.A.”

In The Tennessean on Oct. 24, Evelyn Shriver, chief of Jones’ label, Bandit Records, said Jones was “hurt” because Brooks had not responded to his invitation to join him for a performance on the CMA show. “Beer Run,” a duet, appears on Jones’ recently released album, The Rock: Stone Cold Country 2001, and on Brooks’ upcoming release, Scarecrow, due Nov. 13.

“If George has a problem with me, he’ll call me,” Brooks said. “He’s been great at that. He’s been great at being very forward.”

Speaking later in the day to radio representatives, Brooks underlined his stance. “He called me up about two weeks ago and asked about the CMAs,” Brooks said. “I told him I was talking to Jack Sussman. I would call him back. I plan to do that as soon as Sussman lets me know, and as of 5 o’clock this afternoon, I was under the [impression] that there was a place for Jones on the CMA, and now we’ll see if Jones, that’s something that he wants. But it will be his call.”

A CMA spokeswoman said Tuesday that a Brooks-Jones duet has not been slated for the awards show. “We’d love to have Garth and George on the show,” said Wendy Pearl, “but nothing’s confirmed at this point.”

Brooks joked that he’s not necessarily looking forward to the prospect of matching vocals with Jones. “If I don’t do the CMAs with Jones, it saves me getting murdered on national TV by George Jones,” he said. “He’ll sing circles around me.”

Sounds like Garth want's to perform, I want him to perform too.

Carey

honky
10-31-2001, 07:26 PM
Hmmm... I don't understand this. The single is BEING played on most of the country stations right now. And even if the single is not released officially, most country listeners are well aware of this new song. And I think it would be even better on George's behalf because he can use this opportunity to release another single of his new album. This way George gets both songs on the radio!!!! ISN'T THIS BETTER???

Tommy

Brits
10-31-2001, 07:31 PM
Hey Carey,
I just wanted to comment on this

I think I shall fall off my chair, crawl to the TV and give it a whopping great hug
I'm SOO glad I'm not the only one who hugs their TV when Garth comes on... :cool:

Hazel :D

kiwigbfan
10-31-2001, 08:06 PM
I used to be into trees but then I was introduced to Garth....the rest, they say, is history.

Happy hugging Hazel :)

Carey

BLL
10-31-2001, 09:44 PM
Having seen Charlie Rose's show more times than not (let's hear it for insomnia LOL :( ); I have heard this woman trash music in general, country music in particular and Garth especially more times than I've the capacity for nausea. I have no idea why she is in the music industry, as all she apparently has for any artist that she isn't making money from is total disdain.

Garth, honey, if she doesn't like you, you're doing good thangs!!!

Evelyn....get a life. And in the words in our "PG Poet" Teresa..'Bite Me'.

fuzzwuzz
10-31-2001, 11:18 PM
Garth's right. This 'stinks' Evelyn. It downright sucks too. Big time! If you don't start fighting fair, I just might have to deck you too! Now shut up and don't forget who's driving!!

"and when she gets mad, you best leave her alone" ~ Garth and Fan~