PDA

View Full Version : The Listening Party

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 12:22 AM
Where to begin? The invitation came about a week ago...

http://www.planetgarth.com/gbphoto/index.php?action=display&cid=154&pid=660

There were about 60-70 people there. Probably about 40 media people and a couple of dozen EMI and Capitol folks. I met some radio folks that had been flown in from all over the country, and Mike Dungan pointed out some of the EMI Canada team.

Garth was dressed in a black turtleneck, black hat, wranglers, and those tan work boots. He was nervous. They had set him out a stool to sit on, but he ditched it. No stool meant he could stand and walk and pace and walk and pace some more. There was a microphone on a stand for him, but he rarely used it, the accoustics in that room were great, and we were all down in the first few rows.

The first song he played for us was Beer Run. When the song started he walked off to the side and went into this little corridor that leads to the green room. When the song ended, he came back in and said - I know a lot of you are media. If it makes you uncomfortable to clap, you don't have to. (Well everyone kept clapping all night long.)

And of course, Beer Run was a perfect opportunity to set the record straight about his friendship with George Jones. . .

J.

garthsgirl
10-30-2001, 12:31 AM
OOOHHH, Joyce, thank you SOOO much for this snippet before I head off to bed. We do appreciate this very much. Thanks for putting this up so late, I know you must be tired.

Lisa

no1cowgirl
10-30-2001, 12:35 AM
Joyce, You are definately a Garth Angel. :)

Krista

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 12:49 AM
It was almost like, he played Beer Run first to get the George Jones thing out of the way.

When asked if he would please comment on the controversy brewing in the local paper about George Jones's accusations against him, Garth replied:

"First of all, George Jones has every phone number I have." (lucky George!)

Then he went on to say "You have to wonder. Is this George Jones... or is this a lady by the name of Evelyn Shriver?" He talked about not having met her except at Tammy Wynette's funeral, but told of a bad experience he'd had on a project they'd both been involved in. (As I posted on another thread, no recording devices or cameras were allowed into this event, so we all had to rely on our notes. I didn't take good enough notes on the actual project to retell the story, but suffice it to say he was not a fan of Evelyn's.)

I did write down the quote "If I remember George's accident, Evelyn spins publicity in a way she thinks will sell records." Then he talked about how your choices become, do you get involved and fire back, and therefore feed the machine, or do you just hold your head up because you know the truth in your heart?

So he talked about the CMA thing and how them being on CBS he's tying it into one big package with his November specials (there's that plural again!)

He did say with regards to the CMA's.............

and I quote:

"It's probably going to happen."

He also acknowleged how he couldn't sing in the same room with George when they were recording, and said he was probably going to get up and make a fool of himself on national television. AND he said if they couldn't work it out to be on the CMA's, he would be sure to have George come sing the song on one of his specials.

Now about those specials.... plural.

J.

Faye Edwards
10-30-2001, 01:04 AM
Joyce

I always get excited when I see a thread you have started because I know it is news coming from someone who knows what she's talking about!!!Thanks for staying up so late, getting all the good stuff on here for us Garth addicts. I had intended to go to bed early since we have a trip planned tomorrow but here I sit waiting for another Garth tidbit. Thanks again
Faye

nelty
10-30-2001, 01:09 AM
Joyce..

WOW!!!!!! SPEECHLESS... Completely speechless... Thanks you so very much for sharing. :)

I can't wait till CMA and those specials... :):):) :d

Nelly

Cheryl
10-30-2001, 01:14 AM
:):):)Joyce....thank you! VERY COOL that you get to be at these events, and COOLER still that ya tell us all about them! :):)

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 01:23 AM
Specials. Plural.

FIRST OF ALL !!!!!!! The MOST important part of this is that they are still in negotiations. So NOTHING is fully decided. (Except the fact that November sweeps start this week... so they'd better get moving.)

He threw out a number at us tonight, it's different than numbers I'd heard a week ago, so anything can happen. The morning newspaper may tell you the number tomorrow, but personally, I'm going to leave it at plural. (you know how some people like to twist my words, I can just read it now "Joyce said it was going to be 12 specials but really it's a dozen!") - And no, it won't be that many! He did publicly say they would be LIVE one hour specials, and he is working on doing something VERY cool with them that I'm almost afraid to get into a discussion of on these forums. . . so be watching for that.

At any rate... one last note before I head to my bed. I have written these reports exclusively for Planet Garth. Please don't copy and paste them onto other websites, do Brandon the courtesy of posting a link back to PG.

Tomorrow we go through some of the songs.... including the one that made me cry, what the Beatles connection is to Wrapped Up in You, what's new about WYCBTMA and if you haven't figured it out already - the duet with Trisha ROCKS!

Let me leave you with this quote... and remind me to explain it to you tomorrow:

"I'm a guy. Size matters."
J.

CheyenneWindRoper
10-30-2001, 01:31 AM
Joyce ~

Consider yourself ...:eek:...REMINDED!!!!

:p;):rolleyes:
Mary Liz

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
10-30-2001, 01:31 AM
Bless your heart Joyce for staying up to type all that. You are simply the best :D

CC

Linda
10-30-2001, 01:33 AM
Now you peaked my curiosity??!! Don't worry, we won't let you forget to finish this one :eek:

Monica Lockhart
10-30-2001, 01:40 AM
Leave us with a quote like that and then go to bed!

I won't be able to sleep all night :(

<sighs>

Moni

CaptMorgan
10-30-2001, 01:47 AM
Wow Joyce!

You tell it all so well, it's like we're right there in the room with you. (I only wish)

Thank you so very much for sharing all of this special information with us at PG. We are truly honored.

I can't wait until tomorrow when we hear ... the rest of the story! :)

Sher

CaptMorgan
10-30-2001, 01:49 AM
By the way Joyce ...

That last line of yours can be considered cruel and unusual punishment you know!

<another big sigh>

Pilgrim
10-30-2001, 02:40 AM
Very cool Joyce:)

Brian

zulu
10-30-2001, 02:51 AM
Thank you Joyce :)

Waiting impatiently for the next goody news :D

Zelia

majmom
10-30-2001, 03:38 AM
Joyce-

Youy BET size matters - and YOU are the BIGGEST SWEETHEART going to share all the wonderful, no-kidding, straight up details about Garth and the Nashville goings on.

I, for one - rush to read every post you make - because I know it will be truthful and informative and insightful (you getting the idea that I REALLY appreciate your posts?)

Thanks so much for sharing with us - I KNOW Garth would appreciate your sharing the 'real story' with the PG faithful!

Kerry *patiently* (yea, right)waiting for the next installment...

SweetGBFan
10-30-2001, 05:24 AM
Oh my Garthness! This is so exciting. Thank you for posting this. I pray Garth will be on the CMAs. And if and when he does those guys at Country weekly site will get an earful. All I did was argue with them about this. I want him to do this so I can say I told you so. November will be a great month!

wmcinnis
10-30-2001, 05:31 AM
Thanks so much Joyce for posting all this info for us. Like some of the others have posted, I always look forward to your posts also:) I really hope everything works out for Garth to be on the CMA's, the show hasn't been the same without him!

Are you up yet Joyce?;)
Can't wait to hear the rest of the story:)
-Susan-

Lost 'n' Garth
10-30-2001, 05:48 AM
Joyce!! Joyce!! Wake up Joyce! (as she rattles the bed to awake Joyce)

I have to work this AM but trust me I will return after work to get the latest!!

Thanks Joyce!!

Cheri :)

GBShameless
10-30-2001, 05:59 AM
Thanks Joyce :)

Are you awake yet, it is 5:00am down there, that isn't to early, are you up!!!!????

Robin :) :)

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 08:27 AM
All right GarthNutts ! ! !

My 4 1/2 year old daughter, who I normally have to DRAG out of bed kicking and screaming at 7:30 every morning as she begs me to let her sleep......

was up at 6:45 this morning. Cheri - I think you were rattling the wrong bed !

When I get back from taking her to pre-school I'll work on the next installment, which is going to be the Trisha / Garth duet.

He introduced this by saying talking about himself and his ego, and how he sometimes thinks that he is smarter than the average guy on the street when it comes to making music. Then he said "If you hang out with people who can sing, people think you can sing as well..."

J.

Original GB Fan
10-30-2001, 08:29 AM
Gosh how I wish I walked in your shoes Joyce! For all of your hard work you get wonderful perks!

JoAnne :)

redstrokes77
10-30-2001, 08:32 AM
I'm going to leave it at plural. (you know how some people like to twist my words, I can just read it now "Joyce said it was going to be 12 specials but really it's a dozen."

I almost fell off my chair when I read this. LOL!

A big heartfelt thanks Joyce for all the "real" info!

Can I be an official member of the "Producer J" fan club?

deb

Garth_FANtasizer
10-30-2001, 09:25 AM
Am I the only one who hit the floor with "I'm a guy. Size matters."?

I had to go back and reread everything else. After that statement, my imagination took hold of my brain! :eek: LOL

Joyce, you are a treasure! Thank you so much for bringing the party to us!

I hope you drive fast! :)

~Ann~ <- Wondering if it really is a bakers dozen or not? ;)

MT4GB
10-30-2001, 09:31 AM
Joyce thanks for posting about all of this! This is a nice pick-me-up after what Gary and I have been through this week-and it is only Tuesday!

God bless Joyce and Garth!

Nancy

Jen19
10-30-2001, 11:47 AM
Hey girl,

I still want to know.. where this concerts are and when I can go.. sure not leaving us much time for planning is he...LOL

JEN

Keep going.. I'm dieing here..

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 12:13 PM
Sorry for the delay... Roughstock went down right as I had this one ready to go, and then I had to leave for a while. Where was I?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Delbert McClinton and Gary Nicholson wrote a song called "Squeeze Me In" which is on Delbert's current album. Garth referred to this song last night as "Honey, Can You Squeeze Me In." But whatever you call it, it's a great song!

Before I go any further, I want to make sure it's understood that the lines I posted earlier about Garth saying he was smarter than the average guy was said very tongue in cheek, leading into his comments about surrounding himself with people who can sing. It was very typical Garth self-deprecation, and not said egotistically at all.

Ok, have I said yet that THIS SONG ROCKS!!!? Garth told us that it was his idea of a great country record, but he knew people would listen to it and think it sounded more rock & roll than country. I wrote two words down next to the title. Billy Joel.

There is a real strong, what I call "jangly piano" throughout the song. He told us that the song was recorded live with 5 pieces (instruments) all playing together. (He mentioned Bobby Woods on the piano.) "She's singing, I'm singing, we're all live together in a room." When pressed by someone if they used their original vocals without any overdubs, he said he never has to over dub Trisha, and admitted they tweaked his a little, but for the most part, it went down as they recorded it. And he talked about what a great live song this would be, and that even though he isn't touring, they still, as they have done ever since No Fences, make an album as if they would be performing it live.

Now about that quote...... calling himself "The King of Overkill" Garth talked about Allen Reynolds and how he's continually simplifying and pulling him back and letting the music speak for itself. It was when he was talking about how Allen wanted to just do the 5 instruments, the drum sitting on the floor, them all playing together and Allen having to convince Garth that bigger was not always better. And in his great comical delivery that he does so well he just shot out there with "I'm a guy. Size matters."

He was talking about the SOUND of the record. What did you THINK he was referring to?????

At any rate, Nashville radio has been talking about this this morning, and I'm sure some of the radio syndicators put out quotes in their morning prep sheet, so you should be hearing lots more of Garth. I know a lot of the print press was using last night in their stories closer to the album release date, but some media you might keep your eyes on that were present last night include:

Hazel Smith (Country Music Magazine), Brian Mansfield (USA Today and CD Now) Becca Walls (countrystars.com), Jay Orr (Country.com) and Nancy Brooks, no relation (Launch.com.) I know Peter Cooper of the Tennessean was holding his story till mid November, but some of the web media especially should have some tidbits up sooner.

Next time: the Beatles connection to Wrapped Up In You.
J.

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 12:15 PM
OH! Forgot to include that if you are looking at the lyrics of this song, Garth takes the first verse, Trisha the second.
J.

ImaGBbeliever
10-30-2001, 12:31 PM
Joyce, You are amazing. It is so thoughtful of you to include us in this ride you get to take. I know a lot of us will never get to see Garth the way you do, so it is a blessing for you to bring us there with your posts. I love to read every word you write.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Kristi

Okay, NEXT! :)

CheyenneWindRoper
10-30-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by redstrokes77

Can I be an official member of the "Producer J" fan club?

deb

Deb~ Consider yourself "OFFICIAL!" Y'all keep in mind though...that I refuse to concede :eek: my position as President of this fan club, until I am "Pushing Up Daisies" myself. :p

You have us all hanging on your every word Joyce and craving the next installment! But, a little side observation and brutally honest critique ~ May I just say one thing about what you have written so far?...............................

THIS POST ROCKS!!!!

:)
Mary Liz

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 12:49 PM
*whew*

I thought Mary Liz was going to tell the whole Planet that I had too many commas. And apologies to everyone for the fact I was too lazy to spell check these.

And please, don't thank me! Thank Brandon and Monica and all the awesome moderators here at PG for allowing me to have a little home on the web to share my stories. They do everything they do here, which I'm telling you is a LOT of blood sweat and tears on their own timeclock, because they love Garth and love his music.

SO... if you like what you see here, give back to those who give it to you! Visit regularly, post often, and tell your friends that PG is not only the BEST place on the planet for Garth nutts - it IS the Planet!

J.

Garthmedic
10-30-2001, 12:53 PM
I am sitting here- mesmerized and speechless.

WOW!

--spud--:)

Garth_FANtasizer
10-30-2001, 01:13 PM
And please, don't thank me! Thank Brandon and Monica and all the awesome moderators here at PG for allowing me to have a little home on the web to share my stories. They do everything they do here, which I'm telling you is a LOT of blood sweat and tears on their own timeclock, because they love Garth and love his music.

SO... if you like what you see here, give back to those who give it to you! Visit regularly, post often, and tell your friends that PG is not only the BEST place on the planet for Garth nutts - it IS the Planet!

J.

You're absolutely right, Joyce! Thank you Brandon and Monica (and anyone associated with PG!) Truth is, we're lucky to have all of you!

Now Joyce - what are you doing reading these posts? Don't you have a story to finish? LOL

~Ann~

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 01:13 PM
Next!

"It's country. It's fun." Garth's words to describe Wrapped Up in You.

Garth wasn't going to play this one for us, because of it being the current single. Then someone from Florida, not sure who he was, said he hadn't heard it that his radio station wasn't playing it. So Garth wound up playing it. And he instructed Karen to send the guy back to Florida with a copy of the single.

But before that he told us the song was designed to be reminiscent (someone spell check that for me?) of 4 guys sitting around on a front porch in Kentucky. And those 4 guys were John, Paul, George, and Ringo.

He said the song was cut in the studio with the 4 players sitting around in a circle. And I'm sorry, I didn't write down the 4 guys name, but I remember Terry McMillan (sp?) on harmonica, and of course Jimmy on fiddle. And he pointed out that Jimmy was a Litchfield, KY native. Sorry to say, he didn't comment on the Ba Ba Baaaaaaa's.

Moving on..... in no particular order, we'll go back to the first cut on the album. Garth talked about how important the first song was. He talked about CRS and what a bad place he was in at the time, and how this song set the tone that showed he was in a good place now. He said it was Bob Segar inspired, and conjured up images of thunderstorms in wheat fields. Trisha sings backup on this one. In my humble, un-educated musical opinion... this song sounded more of the monster-ballad, power song that comes off of Music Row, where as Wrapped Up in You and Beer Run are more of what sounds to me as "stripped down." (Engineers up and down Music Row would be rolling there eyes at that description I'm sure.) This song was written by Kent Blazy, Tony Arata, and himself.

Now... I'm sorry to leave you but I have GOT to get some work done, but if y'all promise to root loud and hard for my Predators tonight, I promise to come back after the game and fill you in on the next single off the album.

Deal?
J.

Jen19
10-30-2001, 01:29 PM
its a deal Joyce, I'll be checking later tonight to read more about it. I gotta work late again,dumb baseball :)

Hey Joyce I got a quick ? if Garth is gonna do these CBS speicals don't you think he would want one to be on before the cd comes out. hummm I guess we all beter keep our ears wide open.

hey guys don't forget this Sunday during football the first Dr.Pepper commerical is gonna air. can't wait to see that.

JEN

Honeybunny31
10-30-2001, 01:34 PM
In a matter of one minute, ive become a Predators fan!!

GOOOOOOO PREDATORS!!!!

Deal,

Thanks PG and Joyce,

PEACE ALL,

Lisa

PJ
10-30-2001, 01:37 PM
What's the title of the song co-written by Kent and Tony please?

Thanks SO much Joyce for always sharing with us little people without a press pass! :)

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by PJ
What's the title of the song co-written by Kent and Tony please?

Thanks SO much Joyce for always sharing with us little people without a press pass! :)
Oh my gosh I'm such an idiot, I left out the song title! LOL. Thanks for paying attention PJ. The song was called "Why Ain't I Running?"

And PLEASE don't ever call yourself "little people"! Believe me, Garth would MUCH rather be talking to the people without press passes! He just uses the media to get to the important people, the fans. <G> But I'm ok with that, 'cause I get to call myself both.

Let me hear you now - GO PREDATORS!
J.

GBGirl1
10-30-2001, 01:55 PM
Joyce ........ thanks for being such an awesome lady with such a big heart for all of us GarthAHolics out here! I am just on pins and needles waiting for your explanation <quote>"I'm a guy. Size matters."<unquote> WOW!! what does it mean??? well i know what it means, but what does it mean? LOL :eek:

And about Dr. Pepper? I heard Garth was just a few hours away from me and I didn't even know it ........ waaaaaahhhhhh!! I'm really sad here :(

Keep those details coming Girlfriend, cause we are lovin it!

Mel :D :D

*fingers crossed* I hope I win that trip to the CMA's!!! :)

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Jen19
Hey Joyce I got a quick ? if Garth is gonna do these CBS speicals don't you think he would want one to be on before the cd comes out. hummm I guess we all beter keep our ears wide open.

One would certainly think so!
Maybe, Jen, you should start a brainstorming thread about what cities and venues Garth is particularly fond of? And the PG detectives can start snooping around?
J.

PJ
10-30-2001, 02:04 PM
Joyce, can I see your Fang Fingers? ;)

Thank you for that info. While at the Bluebird Friday night, Kent mentioned the song The Storm, but not this one. We were under the impression that Tony didn't have a song on the new album so am VERY happy to see that was incorrect!

honky
10-30-2001, 02:08 PM
WOW! THIS IS FANTASTIC!!! :)

Keep posting :D

Tommy

Pilgrim
10-30-2001, 02:22 PM
but if y'all promise to root loud and hard for my Predators tonight, I promise to come back after the game and fill you in on the next single off the album.
That depends on who they are playing;)

Oh I see it's Minnesota so no problem:)

Brian;)

jstensig
10-30-2001, 02:31 PM
Joyce - you ROCK so hard I can't believe it.:D

Jakob

Teresa Morris
10-30-2001, 02:33 PM
YES GARTH...SIZE MATTERS!!!!!

The size of ya....

HEART that is.

Joyce, this is cool. Thanks for sharing! Keep it coming!!

Teresa

ProducerJ
10-30-2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by PJ
Joyce, can I see your Fang Fingers? ;)

Thank you for that info. While at the Bluebird Friday night, Kent mentioned the song The Storm, but not this one. We were under the impression that Tony didn't have a song on the new album so am VERY happy to see that was incorrect!
...... waving my Fang Fingers to the south at PJ! ........

Well..... that is very interesting. Because when Garth first told us about the song, he said it was he, Kent Blazy, and Kim Williams. Then he corrected himself to say it was Tony.

So heck, now I'm wondering if maybe it wasn't a Victoria Shaw song.
LOL.

J.

angelamccann
10-30-2001, 03:56 PM
*Sigh*

I love Joyce.

Joyce let me hold her press pass for the PC a couple of weeks back and it was a moving experience (I did think of asking Ros to distract her whilst I made my getaway, but since we were all going to a Trisha concert afterwards it occurred to me I wouldn't be too hard to catch...)

Thank you, Joyce - on the ball as always!

Angela (btw, my jet lag's really kicking in tonight so if anyone sees me still online around 6.00pm GMT this is actually midnight where I live and I'd appreciate being reminded to go to bed :))

kiwigbfan
10-30-2001, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the info Joyce - Garth will probably never visit NZ again, but you know what - I don't care!!!

I've got his CD's and I've got this great bunch of people at PG giving me my daily fix.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

*Carey* :cool:

Vanessa
10-30-2001, 05:35 PM
Producer J-

Having just read this entire thread all I can say is..WOW!!! :eek: You've done an AMAZING job with all of these details :) I can't thank you enough!!

Vanessa :)

DixieChick4GB
10-30-2001, 07:45 PM
I'm probably gonna get in trouble with my company for logging on the Planet on my laptop in my hotel room here in Lexington, KY, but this is such a terrific thread I couldn't help myself.

Thanks Joyce. You just don't know what a high you are giving to all of us.:)
Elaine

evrywoman
10-30-2001, 07:50 PM
My turn to jump on the "We LUV Producer Joyce" bandwagon! :) Geez, I leave this morning for work and only a few posts were on this thread... now it's 2 pages and growing!!
Not much to add --I'm just another PGer who is very fond of Joyce AND certainly her dedication to keeping all of us up to date and SMILING :) :)
Oh yes- and kudos to Brandon, Monica and the moderators for helping to make all of this possible.

Bring it on, JOYCE...

Bonnie

PJ
10-30-2001, 08:07 PM
At the Bluebird, Kent said he and Kim co-wrote The Storm. Maybe there's more than one song written by his favorite songwriters.

GBsMydance
10-30-2001, 09:35 PM
I LOVE THE PREDATORS...

How did they do J?
Keep up the great work... We love the Garth life line you have so kindly given us ;)

Paula
10-30-2001, 09:43 PM
What a great thread to read after being away for a few days. Joyce, you are absolutely GARTHTASTIC!

Oh, and before I forget....GO PREDATORS!!!!

Thank you for all the details...you are a true Garth-reporter and know how all important every detail is. I am looking forward to the rest of your report!:D

Paula

Garthfan92
10-30-2001, 09:49 PM
Man, one day I don't manage to get on here at all and I was missin all this! Joyce, you are absolutly AWESOME!!! Thank you so much, and keep it coming!

Lisa

Snow
10-30-2001, 10:07 PM
How's the game going Joyce? :)

Thank you sooooooooooooooooooo MUCH for giving us content of this event. Your enthusiasm shows through... but I can tell we are getting it exactly the way you heard it... unlike the spin that might be put on some of it by other members of the press in the days to come.

Are you sure you don't need an assistant for some of these press events? I'm a very good note taker! ;) *lol* I'll carry your briefcase... purse... get you a soda... take messages... anything at all!

Hey... I morned the passing of CountryCool.com... but hey... at least you get to give us all the good stuff now!

fuzzwuzz
10-30-2001, 10:32 PM
Joyce, truly you are a gift from Garth to us the fans. I can't help but think there is none happier than he himself that you have stepped in and filled a need that helps bridge the gap between him and us as we all go through this shiftin' of gears in Garth's expansion into other areas as an artist. Maybe the big tours are no more, but I kinda like this other quiet, intimate stuff that helps us know we are still there for him, him for us, and all for eachother. You sure are helping to make the transition a whole lot smoother. And fun! Fun! Fun!

And I can't wait to hear "Why Ain't I Runnin'?" I have been saying also that I am in a good place right now, for lack of a better way to describe it better than Garth I guess. And I do see those thunderstorms and wheatfields too in That Summer, making the new song already very inviting to me. And the rest of the album as well, because he says "Why Ain't I Runnin'?" finally set the happy tone for the whole thing. Cool!

Lost 'n' Garth
10-30-2001, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ

Maybe, Jen, you should start a brainstorming thread about what cities and venues Garth is particularly fond of? And the PG detectives can start snooping around?
J.

National Car Rental Center in Sunrise, Florida would be cool and I think Garth would be fond of it.....Okay..Okay...so it is down the street from me and the Florida Panthers play there..oh wait..I am supposed to say .."GO PREDATORS"..Right???..not Panthers. OOPS SORRY JOYCE!!

Is the game over yet?? Can't wait for more details.

Cheri :)

CheyenneWindRoper
10-30-2001, 11:37 PM
Joyce ~

It is most obvious that the PGer's appreciate getting first hand information from you! This thread has had over 1000 views in 22 hours! That has to be some kind of record! Fa-a-a-a-a-r Out!

What a privledge Moni & Brandon have bestowed upon us here making you our Nashville Correspondant! It is so nice NOT to have to read things second hand or after they have already become old news!

THANK YOU BRANDON! THANK YOU MONI! THANK YOU JOYCE!

Mary Liz

PS...Now get your fanny home from that Predators game and tell us more!

fuzzwuzz
10-30-2001, 11:57 PM
Also, it was nice to know someone was there representing Florida and the need to keep Garth on our airwaves down here. I don't get to listen to radio but I'm glad Garth accommodated us through giving Wrapped Up in You to an obviously Garth ready outlet that maybe doesn't get the attention that other broadcast areas may get. Do you think that's true Joyce? That guy should have had Garth's new single.

ferretcrazy
10-31-2001, 12:02 AM
Thanks Joyce!!! Counting the days.......:)

Joan

ProducerJ
10-31-2001, 12:35 AM
Minnesota 4 Nashville 2. Including an empty netter in the final few seconds. *sigh*

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. :) Before Saturday's game I'm buying you all megaphones though....

Please, no more emails from people telling me they were missing sleep waiting on my posts! GO TO BED! The thread will be here waiting for you in the morning. My little fingers are typing slow tonight, and I don't want anyone to miss their beauty sleep.

J.

Garthmedic
10-31-2001, 12:41 AM
God knows, I need it.

--spud--:)

ilvgarth34
10-31-2001, 12:47 AM
hey Joyce!! thanks for the info...CAN'T wait til tomorrow!!!!!!! Sorry about the game....Very much looking forward to more

Robin

ProducerJ
10-31-2001, 01:15 AM
The song that made me cry, was "Thicker Than Blood." Co-written by Garth and Jenny Yates, Garth thinks that this will be the next single, sometime after Christmas.

Garth introduced it as being James Taylor influenced. He first said it was autobiographical, then explained that it started out as being about his mom, dad & family, then it goes on to talk about the whole human race. Eerily enough, the last verse talks, he said, about a holy war. (Although it didn't use that exact term.) The opening lines, which repeat again at the end, to the best of my memory are:

She was born in Kansas City
Raised in Arkansas
Was married to an ex-marine.

At the end of the song Garth came out and said if we knew of anyone who'd ever served in the marines, there was NO such thing as an "ex" marine, and he apologized to his dad for the term, but said he couldn't come up with anything else that fit. There were also some great lines about not having the same last name, but belonging to the same family. It was really a great song, and SO personal. The "hook" is 'Blood is thicker than water. Love is thicker than blood.' As a stepmom I love that!

I think I can wrap this thing up in one more installment. Ba ba ba ba baa baaaa baaaaa...

J.

ProducerJ
10-31-2001, 01:55 AM
He told us his favorite song was The Dance.

But that his favorite RECORD was When You Come Back to Me Again.

Actually, he first told us that anyone who knows Garth knows that his favorite song on an album is the last one. And that the last song on this album was WYCBTMA. (Did I get all those letters right?)

He then started talking about Mark Miller, (Allen Reynold's engineer, NOT the lead singer for Sawyer Brown.) Mark is apparently the engineering genious who will spend days at a time mixing one song.

He said Mark did a rough mix of this one in about 5 minutes and called him in to listen to it. And they kept it. He told us although we knew this song, he really wanted us to listen to the mix of it.

What's different? Well, I can't honestly tell you. But I know at the end of it... I had goosebumps! There are some parts that are clear and quiet and simple, and then all of a sudden it's like a choir hitting you. Amazingly beautiful.

So... I think my story is done. This listening event was part of a very long long day for him. After the private event he met with syndicated radio reporters for a round robin, and then with all the local radio folks who he'd flown in. The HOF's head of security wound up spending the night there, because Garth didn't leave until 1:30 in the morning! In true Garth style, he didn't leave until every person in the building who wanted to, got to talk to him, get autographs, take pictures, and tell their stories.

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there while I pieced it all together. I can't wait for some of the media stories to start coming out of this so that I can remember all the stuff I've undoubtably forgotten!

Hugs to you all -
Joyce

CaptMorgan
10-31-2001, 02:08 AM
I've got goose bumps just reading! I can't imagine what it will be like when I acutally get to listen to the whole cd! How many more sleeps now? :)

Joyce:

I can't begin to thank you enough (personally, and on behalf of all PG members) for the gracious way you share your information and knowledge with us. You share willingly, freely and completely from the heart. You are truly the definition of class!

Sher

Honeybunny31
10-31-2001, 02:11 AM
Thanks so much Joyce,

Couldn't wait to get home from bowling tonight to read your posts!! Glad I hurried. Well worth it.

Thanks to everyone who makes the latest news possible. I know all of you work you butts off... WE LOVE YOU FOR IT!!!

Peace all,

Lisa

garthfamily
10-31-2001, 02:42 AM
I vote for a Seattle show.:):)

Thanks Joyce for the wonderful news.

Sharon

ProducerJ
10-31-2001, 02:53 AM
Monica was kind enough to put up my press pass for y'all to see.

http://www.planetgarth.com/gbphoto/index.php?action=display&cid=154&pid=661

J.

majmom
10-31-2001, 04:08 AM
<<<hugs>>> and heart pats back at ya, Joyce. I'm kinda glad I'm working midnights - I got to be one of the first to read the final installment!

Thank You again for sharing it with us...

Kerry

NJ4GARTH
10-31-2001, 05:45 AM
I have to agree with Kerry working the midnight shift did have its advantage tonite.:)

Very Cool Post as usual.:)

Hey since we are on Planet Garth, I want to name a continent on it Joyce. A fitting tribute to one heck of a lady:)

PJ
10-31-2001, 08:06 AM
Thanks again Joyce for sharing all your insights. Scarecrow is less than two weeks away! Unfortuantely, no stores close to me open early enough for me to pick it up on my way to work, but I'll be sure to get it at lunch.

Cheri - I have a Miami native in the household so we cheer a LOT for the Panthers!

Joyce - I'll be in Nashville New Year's Day to cheer for my Avs. ;)

missy1462
10-31-2001, 08:51 AM
Joyce

You do such a great job for all of us. I hang onto every little word you write. And, it's obvious that you are not greedy with your knowledge about Garth and his happenings.
Thank you, thank you, thank you............

Missy

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
10-31-2001, 09:02 AM
Hey Joyce ~ Thanks for giving us the real stuff :)To quote Mary Liz..."YOU ROCK!" :D

Brandon, Monica, and Planet staff ~ Thanks for everything you do to make this Planet a better place :)

Cudos to you all :D

CC

BigGfan4life
10-31-2001, 09:35 AM
Joyce, thank you SO much for sharing all of this info with us :) You've totally made my day :)

BTW, one of the DJs from our local station got to go to the listening party. She's been talking non-stop about how "WONDERFUL" and "GREAT" the CD is, and of course, how wonderful Garth was to her, as well :) She said that she gave him some cooking tips cause he said he likes to cook meals for the girls now when they're at his place :)

GBGirl1
10-31-2001, 10:19 AM
{{{JOYCE}}} ... You are the absolute bestest!! Thanks so much for sharing all your precious Garthmoments with us the fans! It means so much to be able to feel like we were there with ya and enjoying the moment. :cool: :D

You have made my day Garthcomplete! thx! ;)

Mel

ilvgarth34
10-31-2001, 10:29 AM
Joyce Thank You soooo much!!!!!!!! I am now more excited to get this new CD!!!!! I can't wait for NOV 13th!!!!!!!!!! It just can't get here soon enough!!! Thanks again!!!!! :)

Robin

nelty
10-31-2001, 10:44 AM
Well... Joyce

what can I say... Thanks you so very much for sharing.. it's nice to hear Garth moments... :)

Nelly

Cheryl
10-31-2001, 02:03 PM
Joyce....THANKS AGAIN!!!! :)

PG is very very lucky to have you! Thanks for taking the time to write such complete reports....all the details are wonderful. Let's see....I think it MIGHT have been said already ;), but YOU ROCK! :)

Jude
10-31-2001, 02:18 PM
Joyce

Thank you for the news. WOW!

Jude

sonic
10-31-2001, 05:15 PM
Joyce
wow, great report as usual, all I can say is I wish I had your job:)
Sara

boppityboo
10-31-2001, 05:20 PM
WOW! Joyce, you are wonderful! Thanks a Garthzillion for all the hard work you do to keep us here on PG well-informed. Thanks to Brandon and all the moderators too. This truly is the 'Planet'.

I would gladly give him a few pointers on what to cook for his girls too, as I'm in the same situation. :)

Happy Halloweeen all!

Ellie :)

Jen19
10-31-2001, 05:36 PM
Hey Joyce I know you already know this but YOUR

GARTH-A-RIFFIC !!!!

JEN

thanks for all the wonderful details :)

honky
10-31-2001, 07:17 PM
WOW.. a little bit of mix for "When you come back to me again"?? THIS IS SO COOL!! Can't wait to hear this one :)

Thanks for sharing ProducerJ!!

Tommy

Brits
10-31-2001, 07:20 PM
Hey Joyce... Thank you SO much for posting this! I LOVED every word. :)

I heard something on our radio station that Garth talked about there, something that he called Shower Nights...? thought it was one of the neatest stories I'd heard, so if you remember it how about you post it? If you don't, I will, cause as I said, I thought it was REALLY neat. :)

It was nice meeting you at the Press Conference!
Hazel :D

loreli
10-31-2001, 07:42 PM
Im late but I had to say that.

Thanks so much!!

Lori

Vanessa
10-31-2001, 09:13 PM
Joyce- Thanks for the update :)

Vanessa :)

ProducerJ
10-31-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Brits
I heard something on our radio station that Garth talked about there, something that he called Shower Nights...? thought it was one of the neatest stories I'd heard, so if you remember it how about you post it? If you don't, I will, cause as I said, I thought it was REALLY neat. :)
ALL RIGHT FOLKS! Y'all gonna let Hazel get away with taunting you about Shower Nights at the Brooks household???????

Hazel, I don't know the shower story. Garth met with local radio separately, later in the evening after the listening party, which was mostly national media (although I think a handful of the locals that arrived in town in time were at the listening event too). By all means - post that story!!
J.

Garthfan92
10-31-2001, 10:25 PM
Joyce, a huge THANK YOU again. We're lucky to have you here!

Lisa

no1cowgirl
10-31-2001, 11:17 PM
there was NO such thing as an "ex" marine, and he apologized to his dad for the term

Oooooooo Ra! :);)

Krista

garthsgirl
11-01-2001, 12:01 AM
Yes, Hazel, please do post about 'shower night' at the Brooks home, LOL!! Pretty please! NO more taunting, fess up.

Thank you again Joyce. Though Garth was nervous, it must have been REAL NICE to watch him pace back and forth...especially BACK!

Lisa

ilvgarth34
11-01-2001, 12:10 AM
Yes Hazel PLEASE:)will you post that story? That is one i think would be quite interesting!!!!!!! ;) :) Pretty Please with sugar on top!!!!! :)
Robin

CheyenneWindRoper
11-01-2001, 12:28 AM
ROTFLMAO Lisa! Girl you crack me up! :p You are too much!

Hazel...GET your booty back here and tell us the story! ;)

{{{{{{{JOYCE}}}}}}}

Mary Liz

NJ4GARTH
11-01-2001, 03:05 AM
OK Hazel,

We are on to you. Drop little insinuations (sp?) then leave us hanging.;)

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow nite I take it. Errrrrrrr!!!!!!LOL

PJ
11-01-2001, 07:43 AM
I keep watching shows like ET in hopes that they might have some coverage of the listening party, but no luck. Has anyone seen anything more about this other than online?

ImaGBbeliever
11-01-2001, 08:00 AM
Hey Joyce, thanks again for the wonderful coverage! I have a question... is the mix of WYCBTMA going to be on the new album, or will it be the old version?

Believing,
Kristi

ProducerJ
11-01-2001, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by PJ
I keep watching shows like ET in hopes that they might have some coverage of the listening party, but no luck. Has anyone seen anything more about this other than online?
You won't see anything on ET or the other shows, because cameras weren't allowed in to the listening party. Even still cameras. At one point the guy next to me raised his hand to ask Garth if he'd mind if he shot still pictures, and Garth commented that it was fine with him as long as he agreed to skinny him up. Then Karen reminded him that this was supposed to just be a casual "hang out and listen to the new album with friends" night, and no audio or video recording equipment was allowed, and to keep it intimate she didn't want pictures either. That's why you'll probably see slight variations in the print quotes, because everyone, myself included, was scribbling as fast as they could.

The only video camera I ran into in the museum Monday was CMT and they told me they were waiting for a "quick bite with Garth." (Odd that it took 4 of them to get a quick soundbite....) So maybe keep your eye on those CMT newsbreaks.

ProducerJ
11-01-2001, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by ImaGBbeliever
I have a question... is the mix of WYCBTMA going to be on the new album, or will it be the old version?
The way I understood it, new version, new album.
J.

PJ
11-01-2001, 08:45 AM
Thanks Joyce!

I remembered you said no cameras, but thought the entertainment shows might at least mention something about Scarecrow coming out soon. I didn't see anything on after the press conference either and there were LOTS of cameras there.

Brits
11-01-2001, 08:49 AM
OK, OK, I'm here...But...
Moni posted the story in the topic called "Funny story Garth told at the Listening Party"
My DJ maybe got the name of it wrong??? He said it was called "Shower Nights" because Garth would throw his girls into the shower afterwards... If you want to find out why, go over to Moni's post. She said it better than I coulda! :)

Hazel

madam divine1
11-01-2001, 03:28 PM
Producer J, all i can say is "AWESOME" :D
'nuff said!

Tina

p.s. that goes for Moni and Brandon too! :D

fuzzwuzz
11-01-2001, 09:42 PM
If there is no such thing as an 'ex' Marine, I wonder what Garth was thinking by using it in a song that he would feel the need to apologize to his Dad. Was, or I guess I should now say, 'Is' he a marine?

Yukongirls
11-01-2001, 10:56 PM
Thank you Joyce! :D

Can't wait for the specials!!! Garth and Stillwater together again. Yeah baby! :)

Leanne & Michelle

Monica Lockhart
11-01-2001, 11:42 PM
Dale,

Garth is quoted as saying..." My dad was a Golden Gloves champ in the Marines in Korea".

I found this in the Garth Brooks Scrapbook written by Lee Randall

It's a great book.. got my copy on Ebay...

Moni

fuzzwuzz
11-02-2001, 12:01 AM
Oh wow Moni! That explains why sometimes I feel like I'm having a 'time out' with Garth when his music or something he says just knocks me 'around, up, or over' AND sideways, when I least expect it!!! Good thing I've been in a little bit of training since then for getting in the ring with a Scarecrow!

Debbie R
11-02-2001, 12:03 AM
There was a blurb on CMT when I was watching it late at night. It was Garth after the listening party. They mainly focused on the Garth and George Jones controversy and basically Garth said that he's open to performing at the awards show and the ball is in Jones' court. I think they showed the cover of the CD too. That was about it, unfortunately.

phillyfan77
11-02-2001, 08:53 AM
Wow! This thread is awesome! :eek:

Thanks Joyce for keeping us informed! :D It means so much to us!

And about the Predators... Cathy and I attended our first Predator's game on Oct. 11th, and we had a blast! The fans are great, the food was good (in the section we were in, they brought the food you ordered right to your seat!) and the arena's atmosphere was spectacular! We also enjoyed the clever use of the big TV's on the scoreboard! We even got an autograph from one of the injured Pred players between periods on the concourse! The arena is located across the street from the Hall of Fame, so if you're ever in Nashville, check to see if the Preds are playing! You will enjoy yourself, even if you're not a hockey fan! (For those of you going to Nashville to see Garth in December, I believe the Preds are playing on the Saturday night before Garth's show on Sunday. Check it out!)

Jim :)

ProducerJ
11-02-2001, 10:17 AM
Hey Jim -- thanks for joining the Predators cheering section!

Thanks too for the kind words about the game presentation. I work for the in-house TV crew. The "Kiss Cam" and cartoon hairs, cowboy hats and thought bubbles are my job. Oh yeah, and player stats, sponsor graphics, and boring things like that.

Now if we could just get the team to WIN at home! LOL
There is indeed a home game Dec. 8th, and they are giving away Scott Walker (#24) bobblehead dolls.

J.

bluebyrd777
11-02-2001, 10:32 AM
Joyce - thank you soooo much for your a detailed report, I almost felt like I was there!.
You have clearly done a great job - given that you were only armed with pen and paper - but I'm sure you *must* need someone to assist you at these very demanding events, and it just so happens that I could be available :).
It was great to see you again the other week and we must do Pina Colada's again sometime.......SOON!

Thanks also to Brandon and the moderators for keeping us all in the picture.......great job guys.

Ros

countyfair_85
11-02-2001, 01:03 PM
Joyce...

I just want to say Thank-you for sharing your experience at the 'listening party' with us.
With all that info...I'm sure you know 'shorthand'! :)

I can understand Garth making it personal with all those there...because after all, it is you guys/gals that bring the fans
the news about Garth.
Maybe it was a way for him to give back to all of you for your efforts by making it a special event.

I'm looking forward to the release of "Scarecrow"...even more now.
I can't wait! :D

I just want to let you know another thing before I go...
You were concerned about what you report being an asset to PlanetGarth...
all I can say is, You've done a wonderful job keeping us informed.
but even before you gained the title "PlanetGarth Nashville correspondent"....
you were already an asset to PG.
Just like everyone else!

-Diane

PJ
11-02-2001, 01:17 PM
I didn't realize that's what you did at the games Joyce. Did you do the same job the inaugrual season? We have never been featured on your kiss cam (Thank you for that!) but we were boo'd at the Predators very first home game for wearing the opposing team's jerseys. It was actually kind of fun! ;)

redstrokes77
11-02-2001, 04:09 PM
I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering about a comment I heard somewhere that since Nashville got it's football team that the attendence at Predators games has dropped. Is this true?

deb

PJ
11-02-2001, 04:25 PM
The Titans have been in TN as long as the Predators have so I doubt there is much of a correlation. Certain Predators games always sell out due to the opponents like the Red Wings, Avalanche, etc. but I think weeknight games against weak teams are still far from sellouts.

ProducerJ
11-02-2001, 08:02 PM
Yeah Deb, not only has attendance been lost to the Titans, but corporate marketing dollars. The first couple of years the Titans were in TN they played in Memphis and then at the college stadium, and no one was going to the games. But then they moved to Adelphia... where the seats are very expensive, and of course, went to the Superbowl. They took up a lot of "luxury dollars" that people spend on sports and entertainment. Will be interesting to see what this season's many losses does. Preds first season we had a 97% attendance rate - the best attendance rate in the NHL for markets our size. This season... well, they don't talk about numbers much.

Yes PJ, I worked the inaugural season, I've been with the arena since it opened, 5 seasons with the Kats and on my 4th with the Predators. I'd be happy to kiss cam you in January :-)

Diane, thank you for your kind words.

Ros -- I'm STILL waiting..... :rolleyes:
J.

PJ
11-02-2001, 08:23 PM
Unfortunately, the person I would be kissing usually steps outside when you do the kiss cams. :(

CountryBee
11-03-2001, 11:39 AM
Joyce, I just wanted to add my THANKS for all your reports.
Bee

littlebit
11-03-2001, 02:01 PM
Whew!!! Just read this whole thread!

Joyce, a BIG {{{HUG))) and thank you for sharing this. now i really can't wait to hear the songs.

And Brandon and Monica and all you moderators

for all you've done and all you do,

this {{{HUG}}}'s for YOU! :)

Thank you. :)

(from a retired Marine's daughter! :p)

angelamccann
11-03-2001, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
Ros -- I'm STILL waiting..... :rolleyes:
J.

Ros hasn't got access to her computer this weekend, so sorry for the delay - we're getting to you tomorrow evening hopefully. Patience is a virtue :)

Angela x

Hawk7lte
11-03-2001, 08:14 PM
"Garth....then explained that it started out as being about his mom, dad & family, then it goes on to talk about the whole human race. Eerily enough, the last verse talks, he said, about a holy war. (Although it didn't use that exact term.) The opening lines....

She was born in Kansas City
Raised in Arkansas
Was married to an ex-marine.

There were also some great lines about not having the same last name, but belonging to the same family. It was really a great song, and SO personal. The "hook" is 'Blood is thicker than water. Love is thicker than blood."

We are all family - and even stronger are the love bonds.

Yep - that says it all!!!!

Hawk

fuzzwuzz
11-03-2001, 08:59 PM
"The human race is getting better." ~Garth Brooks~

That's ALL of us as one family. :)

diem nash
11-04-2001, 05:44 AM
"The human race is getting better." ~Garth Brooks~

That's ALL of us as one family.

Amen!!!