PDA

View Full Version : Neon Rainbow, premier issue, industry talk

fuzzwuzz
10-29-2001, 11:27 PM
Anybody also subscribe to Alan Jackson's new quarterly magazine? I was surprised to read he arrived on the recording artist scene around the same time as Garth, or at least the same year, right? late 1989. Scott Hendricks was Alan's co-producer of his early stuff. When did Scott go to Garth's label as President? After Bowen?
This is from the article, "Music Industry Talks Up a Treasure." Scott says:
I really cherish the time I worked with Alan and I'm glad he has stayed true and honest to who he is and what he is about. It's nice to have someone in country music who is anchored 'cause it seems like there are several artists these days who feel they have to change what got them there to keep up with what is supposedly going on.

Pilgrim
10-30-2001, 02:06 AM
Very true words:)

I don't get the mag though:o

Brian

fuzzwuzz
10-31-2001, 12:10 AM
"When he did 'Midnight in Montgomery,' it was progressive for him.," recalls publisher/manager Marty Gamblin, another of Jackson's early associates. "I told him if he did more songs like that he could reach out and get more fans. He said, 'Yeah. But I might lose the ones I got.' He's never turned his back on the people who have supported him, but he's gotten other[fans] just because of his popularity."

Pilgrim
10-31-2001, 02:53 AM
Very wise words:)

Brian:)

fuzzwuzz
10-31-2001, 10:47 PM
Ok, just a few more.
"He's got the same thing as Hank Williams or Merle Haggard or even Tom Petty in rock and roll," says frequent AJ songwriter partner Jim McBride("Chattahoochee," "Chasin' That Neon Rainbow," "Someday"). "People associate with them. Whatever comes out of their mouths, people believe it. And there is a brilliant simplicity to Alan's music. The songs aren't hard to grasp or hard to learn, but they still have a lot of meaning."

Is Jim any relation to John? And I agree about the true depth and brilliance I once overlooked in the 'simple' Alan Jackson.

Pilgrim
11-01-2001, 03:44 AM
Alan jackson IS a great artist:)

I have a few of his CD's and they all have some great music on them:)
I think "Home" ia an awesome song:D

Brian

jstensig
11-01-2001, 08:24 AM
Absolutely.

Alan Jackson is very talented. It's soooo cool he stayed true to the roots. Not many do that.

My absolute favourite is Gone Country.:D What an awesome song.:)

I have two albums of Alan... but I don't know if I'll ever get all his albums.:o I think he could change his formula a bit - and not do the same all over again. He can stay true country even though he stretches out and changes his style a bit - just for an album or two. He could do a bluegrass album for example.:)

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-01-2001, 09:26 PM
This is from Hazel Smith's write up on Alan.
Surely fan loyalty has to do with Jackson's music. Songs that he sings are hummable, another word not found in Mr. Webster's dictionary. Some of the mish-mash on today's airways, why, you couldn't hum 'em on a bet. Not that way with Alan's music. When he sings a new song, the second time you hear it, you can hum along on the chorus. A dozen or so plays later, you know some of the lyrics because the words to his songs have meaning and feeling and heart the way country songs are meant to be. Believeble songs. Songs that interns don't hear taking a music business course at some college! Jackson records real songs with real meaning like "Litty Bitty" from the pen of the great singer/poet, Tom T. Hall and his own masterpiece, "Don't Rock the Jukebox." Songs you can remember and sing. Pro that he is, Alan took Hall's song and made it his own just like he does the ones he writes.There's that word 'real' again that seems to go with everything country! But the only way to see it's real is to go country or bust I reckon! I'm right with you Jakob! That's my song too. And someday, "the whole world (and everybody)has Gone Country!" Ya think?

jstensig
11-02-2001, 04:50 AM
:)

One could hope so - then no R&B and Rap anymore;)

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-03-2001, 12:23 AM
Jakob, if I can 'go totally country' and still love all things rock, ANYBODY can! It's like a good/balanced marriage if you will.

jstensig
11-03-2001, 05:01 AM
I agree - I think people just have to "tune in to country" like Garths said in a Danish interview.

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-03-2001, 10:44 PM
That makes sense to me Jakob. Because it was country that helped me understand the rest of the music I love so much clearer now. But it was Chris Gaines/Garth who acted as the bridge. Interesting.