PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Doubts He Will Work Live With Jones

redstrokes77
10-18-2001, 05:10 PM
This from Launch.com

Garth Brooks's recently recorded a duet with his life-long musical hero, George Jones, but the superstar says it's unlikely the two will pair up for a live performance. Jones's presence alone is a distraction for Brooks, who doubts he would be able to offer up his usual performance, he explains to LAUNCH.
"I just don't know. I mean, I cry every time I see him, and you're just lookin' at him and your goin', 'Holy cow!' What's weird is he's the only guy in the studio that doesn't know. . . he's George Jones! It's weird! He has like little self-confidence in himself and he's always shy and me and the guys are like hanging on his leg, you know? So, I don't know if you'll ever see a duet with us at an award show -- probably not, but if there's something that'll handle itself live and maybe something we can't talk about yet in between now and Christmas, I would jump at the chance to do something with George Jones."

Brooks and Jones did not record their parts for Jones's current single, "Beer Run," together in the studio. Nonetheless, Brooks says just watching Jones work was a treat for Brooks. Brooks adds that Jones is even more of a hero to him now than before the duet. "He's one of these guys from the old school. Like Billy Joel said, when you can't reach a note, you just get tougher and you punch it out. Well, that's George Jones. He's gonna beat himself to death to get the song done and that's my kind of guy. He's 70 years old and, I ain't kiddin' you, he was running 90 miles-an-hour to my 10 miles-an-hour. I was amazed, and they say never work with your heroes cause they won't be your heroes afterwards, but I can say George Jones is 10 times the man he was before I worked with him than he is now."

"Beer Run" holds the Number 29 spot on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart.

Wonder what he's up to now? ;)

deb

Garthfan92
10-18-2001, 09:54 PM
I kinda doubted we'd see them perform it live. We all know how Garth gets around his heros.

Lisa

Pilgrim
10-19-2001, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the article:)

Brian

Vanessa
10-19-2001, 09:35 AM
it would've been :cool: to see them perform together live but that's ok :)

Vanessa :)

missy1462
10-19-2001, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't it be something to see two great superstars bringing down the house!
Thanks for the article Deb.

God bless us all (please!)
Missy

countyfair_85
10-19-2001, 02:17 PM
Deb...
Thanks for the article...

Missy...
It sure would be something!

Imagine Garth though...being a fan of someone like he has of George Jones for so many years...
You know how we would feel if we had to perform side by side with Garth as much as we admire and love him...
It could be impossible for some people...:)
I know Garth doesn't Idolize George because he said in an interview not long ago...he doesn't believe in Idols...
And Garth isn't an Idol either...

I've sang with him as close as I could get in concert...but if he had pulled me on stage with him (except in dreams :))
I wouldn't be able to make a sound! :eek:
I'd be trembling too much!

Maybe that's how Garth feels about George...
those butterflies get to be too much sometimes...LOL

-Diane

missy1462
10-20-2001, 11:41 AM
Diane - But wouldn't it be something to get the chance to see how we would react to singing side by side with Garth?
Of course, if he was singing beside me, he would be cringing at the first sounds that came out of my mouth. I try to reserve my singing talents to the shower stall. :o :p

But, yeah, I understand what you are saying. It's just hard to image Garth, as great a singer as he is, being made "speechless" by another singer.

Missy

babyblue777
10-20-2001, 05:13 PM
Garth did perform with George on an award show with a whole bunch of floks on "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair". When I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame, there's this video where Garth says that everytime George came up to him, he would start crying and that on stage, he got as far away from George as he could. It would be kinda funny to see Garth moved to tears on a song like "Beer Run". I guess if I were singing with Garth, I'd be kinda freaked out too.