PDA

View Full Version : I hope one of them does well

RightNow
10-11-2001, 10:52 AM
Well if "Wrapped Up In You" doesn't make it very far on the Charts then I hope that "Beer Run" will do it for both songs. I Love both but I hear a lot of people saying that they hate WUIY because it sounds pop, why is it alright for almost everyone else in country to do pop sounding songs, and not Garth? I have been hearing a lot of songs that sound like Pop? What else is funny about all this is how The wizard of Oz has had a comeback. Someone in some song is telling her story to the Scarecrow, and some other singer is wishing that he was the Tin Man. What Next?

Pilgrim
10-11-2001, 10:59 AM
I have heard quite a few complaining over Shania, Faith, Lonestar etc. Also here on PG.
Some of the same people (not aiming at PGers here) probably also failed to buy Ty's albums, Brad's, Alan's or George Strait's:o

I think it must be something about jealousy;) People don't like when someone gets bigger than the Gman;)

Brian

CheyenneWindRoper
10-11-2001, 11:12 AM
Hi RightNow!

I too love both these songs! I tend to favor Wrapped Up In You a little more, just can't get enough of the "Ba Baa Baa Baa....." part! LOL;) Both are happy, upbeat & fun songs and I plan on doing everything I can to see to it that they are successful ~ requesting them on my radio stations, buying the album in multiples as gifts, etc.

Do you suppose I will have a mutiny on my hands at work if I play these over and over non-stop? Naaaaaah, cuz if you work for me at my store ~ the first question to answer on the employment application is..."Do you absolutely and unconditionally LOVE Garth Brooks?" LOL

Hi Brian...I think your comment is valid, but do not think any of the singers you mentioned are bigger than Garth! At least in my book anyway and as far as record sales are concerned! AND, as far as "Big" is concerned...I doubt any of them are bigger than 6'2" and 210 pounds either! LMAO! :p

:)Huggies:)
Mary Liz

Pilgrim
10-11-2001, 11:24 AM
You can't deny Shania has set him straight with Come On Over the past 3-4 years;)

Brian

drycactus
10-11-2001, 11:28 AM
I don't think Garth is 6'2" or 210 lbs, that's being nice.

annette
10-11-2001, 12:43 PM
Shania definitely doesn't sound country to me though. She has sold big time, but not because of sounding country. SEX is what sells unfortunately......just my opinion. (I do like her singing). I won't let my little boys watch alot of CMT anymore because they see things like Faith Hill laying in bed barely covered by a sheet and Shania Twain....hanging out, etc...Yes, I am sure men enjoy it, but it is all getting to be sex, sex, sex. They love to listen to music and I think it is sad that even country now is getting like MTV. I want to preserve their innocence for a while. So, when somthing like Wrapped up in You comes along, that is happy and they can boogie and sing along...I say more power to Garth or WHOEVER does it.:)

annette

CheyenneWindRoper
10-11-2001, 01:07 PM
Thank the good Lord for conscientious Moms like you! God Bless! :)

DryCactus...Nope not being nice (or patronizing) at all! When My hubby and I first met Garth and got to spend 20 minutes with him privately...the guys were talking "guy talk" about working out, throwing bales of hay, etc. Garth mentioned he was 6'2" and 210 pounds. Well, I don't know about you, but, I am not about to dispute the man! Also....He is looking very trim to me recently ~ and others I have also talked with who have seen him recently too ~ I highly doubt he is much, if any, over that right now!

:)
Mary Liz

Lowell Miller
10-11-2001, 01:30 PM
It really doesn't sound POP at all....but pop only means popular. So that's good. :D Has anybody heard any POP lately? It may sound like POP of the seventies but not modern POP. Maybe if he tossed a couple F words in there it would sound POP. If Garth released "Fever" or "Shameless" or "The Red Strokes" etc..the list goes on and on....these whiners would say the same thing. It sounds POP....boo hoo! Give me a break. :p Country music isn't the same as it was in the early 90's it's evolving and changing. It happened in the early 90's and it's happening now. Go figure? So POP a different CD in if you don't like it. ;) :p :p

Lowell Miller
10-11-2001, 01:35 PM
Hey I'm 6'2 and about 210 :) ...but I have a flat tummy. *lol ;)

*BTW I like Faith's video ;).....but that's a valid point. :) Don't want the kiddies to grow up to fast. *lol

TracyByrdFan
10-11-2001, 02:33 PM
Very Well Said!!!:cool:

Angela...:rolleyes::p

annette
10-11-2001, 04:25 PM
Lowell....yea, men are prone to like Faiths videos ;). I liked them better when she first came out, but not lately. I do love her singing though.

annette:)

jstensig
10-11-2001, 06:27 PM
That was actually a very good post Lowell.:cool:

Jakob

Pilgrim
10-11-2001, 06:28 PM
What's wrong with sex??:confused:

Garth also use his sexappeal to sell, so no big difference, really.

Brian:)

Stephc0121
10-11-2001, 06:38 PM
I havn't heard Garth's new song yet, but I love Beer Run.

I hope both do well on the charts.

As far as the song being too pop for country radio, they play Faith don't they.

Stephanie

annette
10-11-2001, 07:15 PM
Brian,
I have yet to see Garth Brooks or any other male country singer, or Martina McBride or Patty Loveless or countless other performers (who get a little overlooked by alot of people) pushing the sexpot thing. Yes, they are all sexy to whomever is attracted to them. That is the way it should be. However, I cannot stand back and let a 4 yr. old and a 10 yr. old who love music and want to watch videos watch Faith Hill looking like she is having an orgasm and Shania Twain dressing the way she does in "Feel Like a Woman". I happen to love both of their music, but maybe those types of videos should be shown late at night or on "Adult" video channels. It is none of my business what people enjoy seeing, but, When you are sitting around with your little ones thinking that you have found a family oriented video channel and all of a sudden that comes on, you of course have to switch the channel. Kids are exposed to way too much stuff at way too young an age. I don't say you can't enjoy, it, but sadly, there isn't a whole lot left for the kids, because the music that is aimed toward them is even worse. I don't mean to try to censor you or anyone who enjoys that kind of thing. I have just gotten alot more concientious since I have become a parent. :)

annette

MT4GB
10-11-2001, 07:56 PM
I hate to say it but sex does sell-why do you think that Shania and Faith do so well! I liked Faith before she married Tim! I believe the song-"Let's Make Love-I felt like screaming at the video and at them-get a hotel room-the rest of us do not want to see this! I mean Faith sounded a lot better before she got together with him! Shania Twain-please-if you got it flunt it-I think that is her motto!

Martina is a lot better and she uses her talent well! She sings and looks good and a lot of her songs has a message in them! Trisha is the same way-they both sing songs that all women can relate too!

Okay that is my opinion-I will now get off my soap box!

Nancy

majmom
10-12-2001, 02:58 AM
Shania has so many re-mixes of her songs - that's why she sells so much (IMHO). I don't think she put Garth in his place at all - frankly, Garth is in a place all his own that it's gonna be hard for anyone to touch - especially Shania! Just because Come On Over sold more than No Fences?? Don't think so...

I've always thought that the video channels catered to women - especially sexy ones! I mean, wasn't there some kind of an uproar when there was a video where a male country star had his shirt off? (I forget who it was now) - yet Faith can roll around under the covers all she wants.

As far as Martina and Trisha - I think they are both beautiful women but their voices are their main assets. I had the priveledge of seeing Martina last week - and she floored the audience with her amazing vocals - I'm so glad her greatest hits CD is doing so well!

I agree about the kids - I DON'T even let my 15 year old watch MTV (you realize, of course, I'm the ONLY mother in creation who does this! lol)

That's enough of my 7 cents...

Kerry

Pilgrim
10-12-2001, 05:00 AM
Annette:)

You make it sound like sex is some kind of sin *LOL*

Are Americans scared of sex???:confused:

Garth does (or did) wear tight jeans on stage, and when he say it was comfy he is talking BS. Nothing is worse than tight jeans as hey squeeze your balls *LMAO*
He does it because it's what the women wants. Just like Faith and Shania does it because the men want it:)

The human body is beautiful so why not enjoy it:D

Brian

annette
10-12-2001, 11:13 PM
Brian...you don't understand. You or anyone else can enjoy whatever you want. I just wish they would put that type of stuff on when the little ones aren't going to be watching. I don't think young children need to see that stuff. They love country music and want to watch videos, but I don't want them to see the ones that are risque'. And I can turn it off. Which I do. I was just SAYING...sex sells. Some people don't even sing good but if they show enough "sex appeal" they sell. Whatever.:p

annette
10-12-2001, 11:22 PM
By the way...Nancy, and Kerry,
I agree totally with you both. There is a big difference between tight jeans and nearly nothing also. MTV is NOT an option for our t.v. either. Glad to know there are others out there!
annette:)

MelMalovesGB4eva
10-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Here's another home where MTV is not allowed. My girls who are 10 and 7 could care less, but my son who is almost 9 hears other kids talk about it and is naturally curious.
I wish they would take it off the basic cable line-up so we couldn't even get it.

MT4GB
10-13-2001, 12:17 AM
I remember watching a Hank Williams Jr. video-"All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight"! There is a part where a woman in a very tight outfit being pulled by a tracter-driven by a man-and she acts like she is enjoying this! I mean really! Where were the people who complain about Garth's "The Thunder Rolls" or Martina's "Independence Day"! That was sexist and degrading and has a woman I am very upset and angry that this video was played on TNN!

I mean Faith and Shania complain that no one takes them seriously! It makes me feel that if I am not "sexy" enough and do not show it I will not be taken seriously! Please! I do not take Faith or Shania seriously anymore! Bring me Garth, Martina and Trisha any day!

Nancy

Pilgrim
10-13-2001, 08:44 AM
Annette.

I don't understand this:confused:
Soooooo many Americans keep their children away from watching innocent videos with a bit of sexual exposure in them.
But they had no problem in putting them in front of the TV to watch people jump off two buildings and to see a massive tragedy live.

Sex is innocent and harmless:)

Brian

Cheryl
10-13-2001, 12:41 PM
Brian....not all the networks here showed people jumping from the buildings. The network we watched at home, ABC, purposely said they WOULD not show that. So, I'm glad to say that I or my daughter did not see such a horrible thing. As far as watching the actual attack....I dont see how you can compare that with some sleezy video. The attack was real, it will be a part of history, it was a life changing event. Sex on TV is none of those things. Sex on TV just is an advertising tool.

honky
10-13-2001, 04:20 PM
*sigh*

I wouldn't mind if they choose to turn "males" as sex objects.. eheheh

Tommy

Karinda
10-13-2001, 05:01 PM
I find it kinda strange that even though the first single was changed from "Beer Run" to "Wrapped Up In You", my radio station is playing "Beer Run" every hour since it came out, but I haven't
heard "Wrapped Up in You" even one time one the radio. (glad I have internet) I guess I will have to request it, to inform them that the sing is released. They don't seem to even know about it! The songs depend partly on the people demanding them.
I LOVE BOTH SONGS :)

MT4GB
10-13-2001, 07:26 PM
Tommy my friend I would not mind seeing men as sex objects in these videos either! hehehe!

Brian I do not agree with women being degraded and used like a piece of property like Hank Williams, Jr! did to the women in his videos! I feel someone should use their talents that God has given them and not have to use so called sex appeal to get their music across!

I mean look at some of these videos where violence and rape is used to get their lyrics across! I have no use for artists that have to do that! And by the way Garth's "The Thunder Rolls" and Martina's "Independence Day" brought domestic abuse out in a classy and tasteful way! I still can not understand TNN and CMT not wanting to so those videos but they will show Hank Williams Jr videos! Go figure!

Nancy

Pilgrim
10-13-2001, 08:06 PM
Cheryl

not all the networks here showed people jumping from the buildings. The network we watched at home, ABC, purposely said they WOULD not show that. So, I'm glad to say that I or my daughter did not see such a horrible thing. As far as watching the actual attack....I dont see how you can compare that with some sleezy video. The attack was real, it will be a part of history, it was a life changing event. Sex on TV is none of those things. Sex on TV just is an advertising tool.
Good for you and your daughter about ABC.
But what are you afraid of with sex on TV??? What's the problem??
It doesn't harm anyone.
Of course sex is an advertising tool and as I have said earlier, Garth uses it as well, PERIOD!
Tight jeans is enough to get a woman hot, and I think that has been proven more than once here on PG.
it would look goofy if he turned up without a shirt or in shorts or whatever.

Nancy

Brian I do not agree with women being degraded and used like a piece of property like Hank Williams, Jr! did to the women in his videos! I feel someone should use their talents that God has given them and not have to use so called sex appeal to get their music across!
It's their own choise. they are not forced to do it.

I mean look at some of these videos where violence and rape is used to get their lyrics across! I have no use for artists that have to do that! And by the way Garth's "The Thunder Rolls" and Martina's "Independence Day" brought domestic abuse out in a classy and tasteful way! I still can not understand TNN and CMT not wanting to so those videos but they will show Hank Williams Jr videos! Go figure!
Sometimes that's what you need to get the point across:) Of course the videos should not promote such a thing, but other than a few RAP artists I don't think any country artists does promote violence or whatever.

Hmmmm it seems to me that it is usually women who complain about "sexy" videos. Do I sense a little bit of envy or maybe even jealousy??;)
They don't seem to have a problem when men dress light.

Brian

MT4GB
10-13-2001, 08:23 PM
Brian please! I am not jealous of Faith or Shania-I do wish I had some of their money! hehehe! I mean are they being taken seriously because of their singing talents or how they look! When I think of Garth I do admit I do look at his build but I look at the whole package-his talent and his big kind heart!

What would these women do if they did not have their looks and had just their singing voice? I mean I look at certain men and they are not Robert Redford but I still think they are sexy!

By the way if Garth came in with his shirt off you probably would have to pick a lot of your fellow female garthnutts off the floor! And I would be one of them-and I am proud to say that!

Nancy

Cheryl
10-13-2001, 08:31 PM
I dont have a problem with sex appeal. :) Garth has tons of that, and demonstrates it quite nicely. And tastefully. That's what the difference is. Oh, and BTW, I've seen Garth both without a shirt on and wearing shorts, and I assure you he didn't look "goofy" in the least! ;) As for country videos, there are plenty of male and female artist who keep things more on the classy side than others. To each his own on that.

What I dont like is the blatant in-your-face use of sex to sell music. And I dont like the fact that young kids are exposed to it, simply because I dont believe that they are old enough to understand the responsibilities that come with sexual relationships. Sex is NOT harmless. There are emotional issues involved, as well as personal safety issues, and birth control issues. And besides that....honestly, if sexually explicit videos are needed to get a point across, that doesn't say much for the lyrics, does it? I mean good music is heard....not seen.

Pilgrim
10-13-2001, 09:19 PM
Nancy

Brian please! I am not jealous of Faith or Shania-I do wish I had some of their money! hehehe! I mean are they being taken seriously because of their singing talents or how they look! When I think of Garth I do admit I do look at his build but I look at the whole package-his talent and his big kind heart!
I think they are beaing taken seriously because of their music:) They were played lots here in DK before any videos were aired.
I think I still have to see a Faith video here:eek:

What would these women do if they did not have their looks and had just their singing voice? I mean I look at certain men and they are not Robert Redford but I still think they are sexy!
They would still sell records *LOL*

Cheryl

I dont have a problem with sex appeal. Garth has tons of that, and demonstrates it quite nicely. And tastefully. That's what the difference is.
I am sure we can agree to disagree *LOL*

Oh, and BTW, I've seen Garth both without a shirt on and wearing shorts, and I assure you he didn't look "goofy" in the least!
I was thinking more about on stage where he use sex to entertain the audience. I know he has done it before, but he IS Garth and everybody know him as the good chubby singer with the hat. he could of course use leopard pants;)

As for country videos, there are plenty of male and female artist who keep things more on the classy side than others. To each his own on that.
And a great deal of the classy ones are also incredibly boring. I think they need to be more daring. That would be cool!

What I dont like is the blatant in-your-face use of sex to sell music. And I dont like the fact that young kids are exposed to it, simply because I dont believe that they are old enough to understand the responsibilities that come with sexual relationships
That is where the parent come into the picture. It should be your job to explain about such things. Not just wait until the child is 18 and emotionally immature. That's when things goes wrong.
Then they want everything as fast as possible. Marriage, kids etc.
I think (maybe you does??) you should atleast start teaching children about sex at the age of 8-10. That is the age where you can "brainwash" your child and teach it what's right and what's wrong
There were some shocking pictures on German TV last week where they interviewed 5-7 year old children in USA about the attack the 11th. And most of them were talking about killing Taleban and bin Laden.
At that age they don't know anything about all of that or what it mean. So it was VERY obvious that parents had "brainwashed" their children to say stuff like that, or to grow hate in them.

Sex is NOT harmless. There are emotional issues involved, as well as personal safety issues, and birth control issues.
That's true. That is why you are supposed to teach them.

And besides that....honestly, if sexually explicit videos are needed to get a point across, that doesn't say much for the lyrics, does it? I mean good music is heard....not seen.
Point taken:)

Brian

MT4GB
10-13-2001, 10:59 PM
Brian I see once again we are agreeing on disagreeing! I guess I will stay with Garth, Martina, Trisha and The Dixie Chicks!

Nancy

boppityboo
10-14-2001, 12:24 AM
"I dont have a problem with sex appeal. Garth has tons of that, and demonstrates it quite nicely. And tastefully. That's what the difference is. Oh, and BTW, I've seen Garth both without a shirt on and wearing shorts, and I assure you he didn't look "goofy" in the least!"

I'm with you on that, Cheryl. :) I don't have a problem with Shania and Faith videos showing so much skin or whatever. I have a choice to watch it or not. I hold the remote control. lol I don't let my two youngest watch too much either, if they are in the room I turn the channel and I do it for whatever is on TV. If I think it's inappropriate for a 7 and 5 yr. old, I switch channels. :) My parental right. lol. On the other hand, I'm not adverse to watching a pair of tight wranglers on TV. :)HEHEHE. I quite like filling my eyeballs with a Garth video(or calendar pic). How did we get off topic? lol

Ellie

annette
10-15-2001, 02:57 AM
Brian'
Sorry I took so long to get back here..I was in Owasso, for the weekend...but anyway, I don't let my kids watch people throwing themselves out of buildings neither in real life or just violent t.v. :)

Pilgrim
10-15-2001, 03:22 AM
No problem:)

Brian

annette
10-15-2001, 06:25 PM
So I guess that means you didn't even notice I was gone. I bet you thought I had conceded the fight to you, huh? :p