PDA

View Full Version : OK tornadoes

sunsets
10-10-2001, 08:14 AM
Coming out of lurk mode to ask this... Has anyone heard if any of the tornadoes yesterday were close to where Garth lives? I know one was in Elk City but haven't heard where the others were.

annette
10-10-2001, 09:43 AM
I have family where Garth lives...I haven't heard of any there.

twister
10-10-2001, 10:01 AM
i've heard there was an F3 maybe F4 tornado in Ok but i'm not sure exactly where. I'll go find out though. Also i heard last night that there were no deaths. And the news had some great pictures of it!!

Twister

twister
10-10-2001, 10:06 AM
Ok heres the news. But where does garth live?

--from weather.com--
Tornado outbreak strikes Oklahoma, Nebraska
Wed., October 10, 2001 8:00 a.m. ET

By the Associated Press, Jennifer L. Brown

CORDELL, Okla. (AP) - Emergency crews are searching through the splintered remains of homes and damaged buildings today after a series of tornadoes tore across the Plains.

More than 100 homes were severely damaged in Cordell, and at least six people were treated for injuries. Jim Scott, a sheriff's dispatcher in Cordell, said Wednesday that everyone initially reported as missing had been found and there were no life-threatening injuries.

The Cordell tornado left a wide path of destruction through the southwest Oklahoma town of 3,000. Windows were shattered, roofs were torn off homes, and an unoccupied nursing home appeared beyond repair. Trees and electrical wires littered the streets.

City Administrator Bob Lambert estimated one-fourth of the houses, including his own, had been severely damaged or destroyed.

Officers found one man covered in mud and wandering down a street. He had been driving his car when the tornado hit, rolling the vehicle and tossing him about 250 feet, police said.

Elmo Maddox, 72, climbed into the cellar of his daughter's farmhouse just seconds before the tornado hit.

"When we shut that cellar door, it was right on us," said Maddox, 72. "This was the worst I'd ever seen." He described seeing two tornadoes merge into one system that seemed to be a mile wide.

The tornadoes began touching down shortly after school let out Tuesday afternoon. Six were reported in eastern Nebraska, damaging at least two dozen homes northeast of Grand Island, and at least four tornadoes were reported in rural parts of southwest Oklahoma.

S.L. Anthony and his wife crouched in a closet as the tornado passed their apartment in Cordell.

"I held onto her," Anthony said. "The walls around us blew off."

When they emerged, Anthony stared out at a debris-littered field that used to hold a metal building where he often played pool with friends.

Some pieces of the building were stuck in a tree, boards had lodged in a metal trailer that was tipped on its side, and a pickup truck that had been inside the building was flipped over in a field about 50 feet away.

At the Daycare Depot, a group of children huddled in a safe room built with 3-foot concrete walls and a steel door. The center was slightly damaged but no one inside was injured.

Authorities had barricaded the hard-hit southeastern part of town by nightfall, allowing only residents with a permit from the police department to pass. People were streaming out of the area, carrying sacks of belongings.

Cordell Memorial Hospital administrator Charlie Greene said the injured, which included an infant, were treated primarily for cuts from flying glass and debris.

While tornadoes typically occur in the spring in Oklahoma, they aren't uncommon in the fall. In 1998, about a dozen tornadoes swept through the state on Oct. 4.

Lambert, the administrator, believes the sirens that sounded moments before the tornado hit town saved countless lives.

"They understand when it blows, find shelter," Lambert said. "We don't cry wolf."

Copyright 2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

sunsets
10-10-2001, 11:06 AM
Twister,

Thank you. Yesterday, I read an online article that had the name of the town where he lives. I wish I could remember where I read it or the name of the town. I remember it was close to Tulsa, and the name ends in ville.

annette
10-10-2001, 01:12 PM
Keetonville....Collinsville.....Bartlesville....al l close to Tulsa. Keetonville is where he is. I still haven't heard of anything there though.

twister
10-10-2001, 01:24 PM
According to maps.yahoo.com Cordell is not even close to Keetonville

Twister

CountryBee
10-10-2001, 03:47 PM
I finally found Keetonville on a map. It is to the West of Claremore, almost in between it an Owasso, which is to the NorthEast of Tulsa.
Bee

annette
10-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Keetonville is teeny tiny. Not much more than the "hill" that Garths land is up against. We used to live one road north of his place and we had the choice of Claremore or Owasso as our address (depended on which corner we wanted to put our mailbox on.) I was surprised to hear that "Keetonville" was his address.

annette

AgainstTheGrain
10-11-2001, 03:04 AM
from what i recall .. sandy is originally from owasso ...

annette
10-11-2001, 12:10 PM
Yep, Sandy is from Owasso. BTW, Garths place is in the Owasso school district. Keetonville has no school.

annette