PDA

View Full Version : REUTERS NEWS: Country star Garth Brooks unveils new album

Chris Gaines
10-09-2001, 08:48 PM
By Pat Harris

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Reuters) - Patriotic fervor and the shrieks of adoring fans greeted Garth Brooks Tuesday as he kicked off the debut of his new album, ``Scarecrow,'' at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

The 39-year-old country music superstar, who announced his retirement from touring last year, told a news conference broadcast live on country radio that the CD, his first new release in four years, was not his farewell album.

``Scarecrow'' was officially scheduled for release Nov. 13.

``At the end of last year I made a commitment to Capitol (Records) that I would try to bring them one more album. This is the result of that effort, a real labor of love, that I'm proud to hold up next to all of our previous releases,'' Brooks said.

Brooks said he will team with AOL Time Warner Inc. on a Web site and music special, and will appear in an advertising campaign for soft drink Dr. Pepper, his first national endorsement deal during a career in which he became the nation's No. 1 solo singer.

A U.S. Marine Corps color guard opened the event to a recording of the national anthem, followed by a group of first graders from a local school who marched onstage waving flags and singing ``God Bless America.'' Capitol Records President Mike Dungan started a ``countdown'' as album covers of Brooks' previous records were flashed across a large video screen.

Fans in the crowd whooped and cheered when a single from the new album, ``Wrapped Up in You,'' was played.

``For the first time in my life I think I made a happy album,'' Brooks said, describing the CD. ``It's heavy on steel guitars, but you're not aware of it in some places because the musicians are so good at what they do.''

Originally, Brooks had planned to kick off his album on Sept. 17 with a duet with George Jones titled ``Beer Run,'' but changed his plans after the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington.

``The old man (Jones) can sing circles around me, but we didn't think that song was appropriate at a time like this,'' Brooks said.

The new album also includes a duet ``Squeeze Me In'' with Trisha Yearwood and ``When You Come Back to Me Again,'' a release from the 2000 science-fiction thriller, ``Frequency.''

Asked if he would ever return to the concert stage, Brooks said: ``At this point, I don't believe so.''

The performer said he is concentrating on his children and that he regarded the trade-off between being a full-time father and a performer as ``awesome.''

Since Brooks and his wife, Sandy, filed for divorce months ago, he has been living in a rural area near Tulsa, Oklahoma. The divorce is not yet final.

Fans from all over the country camped out overnight at the museum in sleeping bags and chairs in anticipation of Tuesday's event.

Brooks, who has several million-selling albums, was named ''Artist of the Decade'' at the American Music Awards show last year and has won nearly every award possible in the industry.

Reuters/Variety REUTERS

BigGfan4life
10-09-2001, 08:58 PM
Thank you for posting this!! :)

Paula
10-09-2001, 09:06 PM
Here's an article from launch.com via yahoo -(Another Article (http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/lc/20011009/en/garth_brooks_provides_details_on_new_album_single_ 1.html))

Tuesday October 09 04:57 PM EDT

Garth Brooks Provides Details On New Album, Single

(10/9/01, 5 p.m. ET) -- Garth Brooks's forthcoming and possibly final album is titled Scarecrow and will hit record stores on November 13, the superstar announced during a press conference held in Nashville on Tuesday (October 9).

The album's first single, "Wrapped Up In You," was sent to radio stations across the country via digital delivery. Brooks talked about the new single and his decision to pull the release of the "Beer Run" single. The duet with his lifelong musical idol, George Jones, was initially set to be the first single released from the album.

"'Beer Run' was the original slated single, but because of what happened on September 11th, it just didn't seem appropriate to go after something like that," he said. "Forgive me if the choice was wrong, and if the choice was right, then we followed our hearts and did what we should. 'Wrapped Up In You' was supposed to be the second single off the album so it just made sense to come on in, and in listening to the lyric as it goes by, it really works. I'm very proud to have this as our first single. I don't know if we've ever had a first single, other than 'Friends In Low Places' off an album, where everybody that hears it gets the reaction that you want them to get from it."

The journey of making Scarecrow proved to be a difficult one for the entertainer, who almost gave up during the recording process, he explained. "I approached this CD very different than the previous ones. I wanted it to be the end-all, be-all of Garth Brooks to wrap everything up, and it didn't take long for me to abandon that way of thinking," he said. "I hate to admit this, but I wanted to quit three times in the last year on this album because country music has gone to a place that is its own thing now and sometimes you don't feel like you understand it or that it's speaking to me personally, so we had to dig 10 times as hard, and, again, three times I wanted to quit."

Brooks credits his longtime producer, Allen Reynolds, with pulling him through the tough times by continuously telling him to "think with your heart." The singer adopted the mantra, even when it came to naming the album, he explained. "So in trying to find a title for this album, I am saying that. I've got it pinned up on the house walls everywhere 'You gotta think with your heart,' and finally stupid me had to have three little girls tell 'em--when I said, 'Girls, what is the phrase for thinking for your heart, cause I gotta find a title for this,' and of course, the girls looked at me and said, 'Dad, the scarecrow thought with his heart,'" he said.

Scarecrow contains 12 tracks, including "When You Come Back To Me," a duet with Trisha Yearwood featured in the movie Frequency.

In addition, limited first edition CD, featuring a different cover and packaging, will be released. All advance orders placed through retail stores and online retailers will be guaranteed a first edition copy.

-- Margy Holland, NashvillePaula

kristen166
10-09-2001, 09:37 PM
"I wanted it to be the end-all, be-all of Garth Brooks to wrap everything up"

That sounds like he won't be around too much longer.:(

redstrokes77
10-10-2001, 05:03 PM
I thought we were told that here that the divorce WAS final.

deb

Vanessa
10-10-2001, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the articles Jason and Paula..all very interesting stuff :)

Vanessa :)

XFER
10-10-2001, 06:55 PM
It seems Garth likes trisha's voice :)