PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back from the Press Conference

ProducerJ
10-09-2001, 04:31 PM
Howdy --

I'm back at the computer and I see there's a zillion and a half posts, so I don't know what's been covered already.... so...... if you have any questions about the PC... post them here and I'll try to fill in any blanks.

For starters, I'll show you the press pass... we were joking that it had a Children of the Corn feel to it...

By the way Brandon -- the site looks AWESOME!
J.

GarthFanCanada1
10-09-2001, 04:35 PM
Thats a cool pass.... Producer J, is there anyway you could see if I could get a hold of one of those?

Barkley

BlueRose
10-09-2001, 04:38 PM
Thanks Joyce, very cool in a Nebraska sort of way! LOL Did any of the Nutts get to ask questions during the PC and did he stick around to chat afterwards?

Cheryl

no1cowgirl
10-09-2001, 04:39 PM
Very cool Joyce. :)

One question just popped into my mind: why "Scarecrow"? Did Garth elaborate on that?

Krista

AgainstTheGrain
10-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by no1cowgirl
Very cool Joyce. :)

One question just popped into my mind: why "Scarecrow"? Did Garth elaborate on that?

Krista

yeah krista... why scarecrow.. and not the tin man or the cowardly lion or even dorothy .. um.. nm :p

Lowland_Kid
10-09-2001, 04:43 PM
Welcome back! Hope you had a great time!

And yes, the pass is VERY "Children of the Corn", spooky! :eek:

I haven't heard anything about the PC itself, so any info is appreciated. Maybe you can describe the atmosphere to us?

Thanks!

:)
Marjolijn

jstensig
10-09-2001, 04:47 PM
Tell us anything you know.:)

Jakob

GBGirl1
10-09-2001, 04:55 PM
Oh Brandon ..........

You're such a tease!! ;) Fill us in on ALL the details!

I only got to hear bits & pieces this a.m. on Nashville radio station 95.5

Having Garthdrawals here in Michigan!

Mel

CaptMorgan
10-09-2001, 04:58 PM
Do I have any questions???

Yup, just one though ...
What did you do from the minute you opened your eyes this morning to the minute you got back from the press conference? ROFL Details please, and lots of them!

Be sure you don't leave a single thing out now. :)

Sher

Garth_FANtasizer
10-09-2001, 05:07 PM
I'm with everyone else here - ANYTHING you want to tell us about it is welcome!

How many people were there? Did anyone get turned away?

~Ann~

garthworshiper
10-09-2001, 05:08 PM
please,please, please post all the details, every single thing
or I'm gonna burst (AND YOU DON'T WANT THAT!!!)

ProducerJ
10-09-2001, 05:16 PM
Barkley -- I had a bunch of requests for press passes today, but unfortunately, there weren't any extras.

Cheryl -- they alternated questions between the press and the fans, so there were a lot of fan questions answered, but to my knowledge, none of the PGers asked any. Cindy from AOL asked him about doing an awards show with George, and he replied that there wasn't anything scheduled and the CMA deadline had come and gone, and he hadn't heard anything from them.

After the PC he appeared for a while in the back corner of the conservatory and some folks got to talk to him there, and I suggested to the HOF they take his picture by the drum pod, so he posed for me for a second. Then he stopped at the HOF gates on his way out and talked to folks for a few minutes. From what I heard he wasn't signing anything, but did accept gifts and give hugs.

Krista -- the explanation for scarecrow is very cool. Allen Reynolds kept telling him during the making of the album that he had to think with his heart, not his head. So he asked his daughters about what the phrase was that meant to think with your heart..... and they told him that the Scarecrow did that. And he talked about how in the Wizard of Oz (he referred to both the book and the movie) the scarecrow was the character representative of what he wanted to stand for. (Jason, make my Dr. Pepper a diet please, ice cold.)

Marjolijn -- the atmosphere was very exciting. From the time I arrived around 7:15 there was a line at the door and I got to greet old friends and meet new ones. Once inside everyone working had all this energy, despite it being so early. When Garth first appeared at the back of the stage the crowd started cheering. When he came on to talk everyone -- including the press, stood and cheered, and he got many more cheers throughout his q&a session. (Which lasted for almost an hour.)

Sher honey..... I would stick my tongue out at you if I knew how to use the smiley codes. I have 5 pages of notes from the PC...wanna try to decipher my scribbles?

Next?
J.

Lowland_Kid
10-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Thanks Joyce! :)

Sure sounds like a lovely Garth event to me! :)

*sigh*

Marjolijn

ProducerJ
10-09-2001, 05:25 PM
Ann -- there were just over 100 media, and they estimated around 200 fans. No one got turned away, in fact they had room for another 100 or so more.

Garthworshiper, I'd hate to mess up your beautiful English countryside, so here are some more details:

8:13 - 1st Garth sighting. Black ribbed turtleneck, blue wranglers, black boots, carrying his black cowboy hat that he put on when he took the stage.

8:14 - Mike Dungan, Capitol records, introduced a Marine Corp Colorguard (one of the things I told you was added) Star spangled banner was played off cd

8:19 1st grade class from Coles Ferry Elementary (where he's been reading for 10 years) sang God Bless America. Kids were in red t-shirts, waving american flags.... TOO CUTE! This was the other cool thing I told you was added, and they sounded great. They were 1st graders. This was the 2nd very cool thing, I mentioned that I hope radio covered.

8:22 Brief video clip, concert footage and the albums. (Garth left the backstage area when this came on.)

8:24 After a brief message from Mike again, a clip of the Retirement Press Conference, including his asking the press not to call it a "last" album, and continually referencing "the attempt" to put out one more album.

8:25 Mike announced the album release of Nov. 13th

8:26 Andy Brokaw from AOL (Andy/Andi? was a female) talked about Keyword Garth Brooks and a listening party for the album on 11/13.

8:29 John Clark - Dr. Pepper

8:30 The countdown clock ran out but Mike introduced a video countdown that reset it to 25 seconds, and then the single played.

8:33 Garth takes the stage to a standing O and opens the floor for Q&A.

That detailed enough for you?
J.

CaptMorgan
10-09-2001, 05:31 PM
Yup ... keep it coming! lol

Need any help deciphering? I'm not anxious or anything you know. :)

We're just getting to the good part now ...

Another question for you - how did you enjoy the PC personally?

:p gotcha!

Belaisme
10-09-2001, 05:31 PM
Hey Joyce

Im new here at PG and glad Im here.....Thanks so much for the details very nuch appreciated!

Mimi

Cheryl
10-09-2001, 05:34 PM
:) Thanks for all the details so far! 5 pages of notes???? Sounds good to me! Please? :)

I love that Scarecrow explanation. Toooooooo cute! :) I just knew there had to be something very personal behind it.

garthworshiper
10-09-2001, 05:35 PM
That's great J, cheers mate! I think the countryside is safe now
(apart from foot and mouth of course....)

MaineFan
10-09-2001, 05:38 PM
Joyce,

Thank you so much for sharing this exciting event with us!!!! I can't wait to hear more....Did he say how he is personally? Did he say what kind of promo he'll do for the album??

ProducerJ
10-09-2001, 05:51 PM
Ok, gonna post a few more things then I'm going to go work on my pictures.....

Some things he told us at the Q&A (and I'm sorry if some of this is repeats, I haven't had time to read the other 4300 new threads):

Album cover brought him full circle to 1st album, it's the same jacket he wore for Garth Brooks cover, shot it on his farm in Oklahoma. (joked about how his shoulders were the only thing that still fit in it.)

The quote I'm sure is getting used everywhere was him saying for the first time in his life he made a happy album, and that it was very unusual for him, but he was in a very good place right now.

Did I mention his fidgeting? Pulling the ear, pulling at the wood on the podium, and he must have rubbed a HOLE in his arm!

Uses the internet to keep in touch with the folks in (Virgina?) working on the art direction for Scarecrow, to him the computer is a place he can stick a lot of the girls pictures on the sides.

Wanted to quit 3 times while working on the album. Started off trying to make an album that was the "be all and end all of Garth Brooks." Allen Reynolds straightened him out and told him to work on making music from his heart.

Dr. Pepper -- feel good advertising campaign. Not going to be throwing a logo at you every second. Had offers from Pepsi and Coke, but he wanted to endorse something he used. If he had his way he'd endorse Dr. Pepper, M&M's and Taco Bell. Commercial was shot in the town square, with people from all walks of life. Also talked about them being sensitive to his weight issue.

Trisha. He got VERY teary when talking about her. They do have a duet, but she has control over when it gets released as a single. he called it "an undeniable single." Very attitudinal (he paused to tell us yes, attitudinal was a word.) Sassy, Trisha was singing with her hands on her hips. The song is a Delbert McClinton song called Squeeze Me In. He talked about how very different this was from the typical Garth / Trisha song.

He said he shot the video but he hasn't seen a frame of it yet. Commented on how he's made 4 videos he's never released, and he knows it's important to the label to have the video since he's not touring.

He listened to 8,000 songs and Allen had listened to 10,000 songs by summer. Commented that he heard a dozen Tim McGraw hits but wasn't finding music for Garth.

Was "happy as hell" that Mario LeMeiux (sp?) and Michael Jordan were coming out of retirement. "will that work for me? at this point, I don't think so." (remember, Jordan said that too after the 2nd retirement.)

He doesn't use a drum track in the studio, uses real live drummer (Milton Sledge, I think he said.) We'll hear steel guitar on everything.

Last song on the album -- WYCBTMA

Talked about NYC/DC and how he was 30 blocks away and never wants to go back to that day. Confirmed he'd been invited to the telethon, as well as a Nashville celebration and the Paul McCartney thing but couldn't work them for scheduling reasons. Said we should rethink taking God out of our schools.

"When you're heavy, dress in black."

There is a second album cover, although I don't think he fully explained what it was going to be used for, but had something to do with a bluegrass song he cut. Maybe someone else can fill in here?

Does Leno, doesn't ever do Letterman because he knows he'd go off on Garth about what's wrong with country music. has met him twice and he's been a gentleman both times.

Several college kids asked him questions about the business and he kept reiterating to get their degree and live life so they'd sing with conviction.

3 career highlights now: Grand Ole Opry, 100th Anniversary of Cheyenne Frontier Days, duet with George Jones

What DIDN"T make the album: 2 Tony Arata songs, and a Pat Alger song. We will hear a Kent Blazy / Tony / Garth cut, as well as a Jenny Yates song called Thicker Than Blood.

1st PC cancelled out of HONOR for victims - NOT out of fear.

Doing some things in Nashville in December, including the Opry (does he know it's at the Ryman in Nov / Dec?) and a cancer benefit at the Roy Acuff theatyer and SOMETHING in Wyoming. Mary Liz -- ya listening?

Ok, my fingers are EXHAUSTED!

nelty
10-09-2001, 05:52 PM
Thanks Joyce..

Appreciate the details...

Nelly

twister
10-09-2001, 06:44 PM
ok i thought you were all crazy for wanting every detail but i'm addicted. Give me more!

Second album cover is probably for the limited edition covers!!

Wish i was in Nashville to see the PC.

Ohh and i was just wondering if the A had anyting to do with anything. Its different from all the other letters in the title 'Scarecrow' and it appears in his name (on something i dont remember what)

Twister

Helena
10-09-2001, 06:45 PM
Thanks Joyce for all the detail.

Great to hear that he was so happy and that everything went so well
and he got the great reception he deserves.

Was hoping that the PC would bring some big news of a concert/tour or the famous special event for the fans.

Planned my lunch hour from work so I could get home and catch the PC on the internet, just got some snippets on WSM...?? So it is really great to have your detailed, descriptive report.

How I wish I could have been there, I'm surprised the place wasn't packed. If I was in the U.S. I would have been there !!

Thanks again Joyce
and for keeping all us Europeans filled in on so many behind the scenes Garth happenings in the past.

You're a real Garth Angel

Helena

Yukongirls
10-09-2001, 07:02 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH JOYCE!!! :D

Wow we are so excited. Thank you so much this is just awesome. We have all waited along time for Garth to do this. Sooooooo excited!!! :D

By any chance did he say anything about him and Stillwater getting together to do the shows or is it just going to be him? :)

thanks alot,
Leanne & Michelle

angelamccann
10-09-2001, 07:52 PM
Wooeee - thanks for posting all that, Joyce! :)

Ho hum, I should be finished packing and in bed by now. In fact my bed's still covered with stuff I haven't packed yet. Lots of time tomorrow (I'll make it somehow).

Angela x

CheyenneWindRoper
10-09-2001, 07:53 PM
Yes, I am listening!!!! :D:D:D:D PJ also PM'd me the news! WhooooooHoooooo! Too cool. Sorry everyone, but I am hogging the man when he comes to Wyoming...And, oh by the way...... if you don't have your passport to get into Wyoming, sorry it's too late, they aren't issuing any for 7 more years! You've got yours right Krista?

J/K of course,everyone is invited out and we can all have a Garthy pajama party at my house!

;)
Mary Liz

BigGfan4life
10-09-2001, 08:02 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for typing this out for us :) I missed the whole PC and had a pretty crappy day, but coming home tonight to find all of this info put a big smile on my face! So, you can be glad to know that you made at least one person's day better with all of your hard work and hurting those fingers typing! *LOL* ;)

Vanessa
10-09-2001, 08:06 PM
woooooooohooooooo Maryliz--a Garth pajama party!! I'm all there!! :D

Thanks so much Producer J for the wonderful specific details!! That really made my day :)

Vanessa :)

kristen166
10-09-2001, 08:08 PM
Thanks for letting us in on what happened.

Did Garth Garth say anything on after he is fully retired if he will still write songs and movies?. I remember he had said that at one time when he was talking about his retirement.:)

garthsgirl
10-09-2001, 08:13 PM
Thank you sooo mucb for giving us some details, Joyce. I know at the last PC Garth had mentioned doing promos for the album through specials on TV. Did he mention anything about it this time?

Lisa

Teresa Morris
10-09-2001, 08:15 PM
Just wanted to say THANKS to all sweet new faces I met today and THANKS to all the familiar faces who greeted me with smiles. It was a veryyyyy good day.

Garth's at a place....of wholeness again. That's cool for us all to watch and be privilged to be shown a part of. I am once again just so very proud for him and OF him. Whatever this cd holds, it's going to leave us all spellbound and once again as many times before, totally awestruck.

INSTANT SMILES was a phrase that came to mind to me today listening as the new single played. Very cool.

Teresa

CaptMorgan
10-09-2001, 08:31 PM
Joyce:

Wow! Thank you very, very much for all the wonderful details. It's just like we were all right there with you and listening to it all first hand.

That "something" in Wyoming sounds very interesting! Nice and close also. :)

Now go and wrap your very sore hands around a nice hot drink and relax. :)

Sher

loreli
10-09-2001, 08:34 PM
Thank you Joyce :)

It was really sweet of you to type that all out. :)

Lori

Chris Gaines
10-09-2001, 08:38 PM
the "A" is "sticks" ya know ya use stickes to hold up the Scarecrow? :)

anyways.. it's the exact same "A" used in the album are in the word "Scarecrow" ;)

So ya know :)

since no one answered that yet :)|

Jason

Paula
10-09-2001, 08:59 PM
Thank you SO much for all the details, Joyce. Any more details would be much appreciated...that is, once you've rested those fingers.:D

By the way, Jason, I didn't notice any response from you to Joyce's comment on the Oz connection.:p

Paula

Teach
10-09-2001, 09:05 PM
It was so great to read about the press conference. I listened on the Nashville radio station but they only played snippets and the song. Thanks again. :)

boppityboo
10-09-2001, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the great details, Joyce. Very much appreciated. It did feel like we were there with you. :)

Ellie

GBsMydance
10-09-2001, 09:53 PM
Joyce..

Talk about working and listening from the heart...
Thank you for all you do for us.. A gift you share with us so freely.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{Joyce}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Garthfan92
10-09-2001, 10:18 PM
Thank you, Joyce!!! I can't wait to hear some of it myself. It sounds like Garth really is happy again, and that makes me just about the happiest person in the world! It's great to see.

Lisa

ProducerJ
10-09-2001, 11:55 PM
Ok, I'm back. I went over to Monica and Kelli's hotel room and wrapped my poor tired fingers around a cold long neck, does that count Sher?

Mary Liz -- Delaynie says she'll bring the Barbies to the pajama party. When I told her I'd talked to you on the phone tonight she was SO MAD at me! BTW, the picture we took this afternoon on the phone with you turned out GREAT.

In answer to the Yukon Girls question about Stillwater.... he didn't specifically mention anything about them as a group, but he did talk about some of the players..... I specifically remember he mentioned Jimmy playing fiddle on Wrapped Up In You.

Angela, please tell me you finished packing, I don't want to see you in your birthday suit this weekend. . .

The tv specials he referred to, he referenced not being able to talk about them yet. If you have listened to the PC, you might have heard him talking about wanting to get into as many living rooms as possible, and he talked about television vs. internet and seemed to believe that television still had more "eyeballs" than the net.

J.

Jusdrummin
10-10-2001, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the info. on the PC. I figured here in the heart of Garthland (Oklahoma) that country radio would have carried it, but no, they were too busy playing stuff that was 5 years old. We wouldn't want to hear something new, and the PC that launched would we...

Rick

majmom
10-10-2001, 01:27 AM
Joyce-

THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THE DETAILS - YOU'RE A REAL SWEETHEART!!!

MaryLiz -

I guess I can safely assume that Garth t-shirts will be the jammies of choice??? (assuming, of course, that anyone actually SLEEPS!)

Kerry

ImaGBbeliever
10-10-2001, 08:56 AM
Joyce, You never cease to amaze me. I don't think you could know what your words mean to us. I am sitting in my cubicle bored to death and then I see this wonderful person begin to tell the story. My whole day is better, and it just started!

You are truly appreciated.

(Boy, was that sappy or what?!?!)

Thanks again,

Kristi

Jameelg4
10-10-2001, 09:59 AM
Thank you so much for all the details of the press conference. I was hoping that he would decide to tour maybe one more time....that would be great. A Garth show is like non other! I met him several years ago with my daughter, he couldn't have been nicer...a real gentleman. Can't wait for the new album.....Sheron

CheyenneWindRoper
10-10-2001, 10:10 AM
Who could ask for anything more? LMAO! Tell Delaynie that her Aunt in Wyoming loves and misses her sooooooooo much!

:D
Mary Liz

PS Yes, Kerry....OVERSIZED & comfy Garth T's are the required dress for the evening!

Garth_FANtasizer
10-10-2001, 10:19 AM
Is Garth invited to this pajama party too? If he is, I'll just wear him! :eek: :p

~Ann~ <-- Living happily in her fantasy world! :) )

gbroadtrip
10-10-2001, 10:56 AM
About the funny type of the letter "A"

PJ had some pictures from the PC and from what I saw, the art for the single "Wrapped Up In You" had the "A" in Garth, just like the "A" in the album title. Not sure if this means anything besides being from the same album. The album title wasn't offically released till yesterday, but the single title was. Anyone else?

Shan

GBGirl1
10-10-2001, 11:01 AM
Joyce (not Brandon! Sorry for the mixup :confused: )........ you are a sweetie! Thanks so much for ALL details. Just what I needed to hear. Listened to snippets on radio, but your details were fantastic and i felt like I was there too! U R THE BEST!

I was listening to PG PC, but it kept cutting out on me, will try later.

Mel

Yukongirls
10-11-2001, 12:37 AM
Thank you Joyce!!! :D

Leanne & Michelle