PDA

View Full Version : Alice Cooper's 'Real' Rebellion

fuzzwuzz
10-04-2001, 11:21 PM
SHOCK-ROCK PIONEER SAYS CHRISTIANITY IS 'REBELLION'
Shock-rock pioneer Alice Cooper, the singer who was alarming parents when Marilyn Manson was still a baby, recognizes some people think his Christian faith is ironic. "But it's the most rebellious thing I've ever done," says the star whose stage antics once included decapitating baby dolls and hangings.

"Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy," he tells "The (London) Sunday Times Magazine." "But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion." A pastor's son, he started exploring his faith about 20 years ago, when he stopped drinking.

The 53-year-old, whose 28th album, "Dragontown," comes out next month, says that he is rocking harder than ever. "If I write a song about horror, I'm writing about real horror - eternal damnation," he says. "I find the real world very shocking. Look at the genocides in Albania, Bosnia, Africa. Locking a 6-year-old in a closet for three years - that's horror."

The father of three, he observes that his children cannot tell him he doesn't understand how they feel. "I say, 'Wait a minute. I'm the one that designed your generation.' I must be the only father that bangs on the bedroom door and says, 'Turn that music up!'"

Surprised? Hey. According to Alice's golfing buddy Glen Campbell, Alice taught his kids in Sunday School and he had no problems with it.

I like what 'Alice' says about the real world being shocking. Because he's only speaking the truth. And he says he writes about what's real. Remind you of a certain country singer? I'm beginning to think some of this stuff out there we think so horrifying is meant to warn us of the true danger of what's going on in our world, and not try and push our embarassments under the rug where they don't get brought out into the light and dealt with. Like Garth says he tried to do with The Thunder Rolls video. We'd rather sit around and condemn the video than let it help us out seeing the light.

Hmm..didn't Marilyn Manson get raised by a Christian family? Well, we can always hope and pray that he comes around I guess. But I am not familiar with his music or his message except by comments made by him and his 'enemies'. I hope he learns like Alice that it's ok to be a 'rebellious believer' in God.

loreli
10-05-2001, 09:12 PM
That is a very cool story :D

I saw Alice in concert a hundred years ago :rolleyes: ;)

Lori

fuzzwuzz
10-05-2001, 09:54 PM
Oh really Lori? I would love to hear about it! Was it all weird stuff? Or just good music?

Pilgrim
10-06-2001, 07:16 AM
I never had a problem with him:)

I always thought he was kinda cool :) *LOL*

The same with Marilyn Manson:) He's just a boy scout who like to piss people off *LOL*

Brian

loreli
10-06-2001, 05:12 PM
At the time Alice was the epitomy of teenage rebellion.

It was an interesting concert to say the least. Most of his antics were pretty gross. But the music was good....loud and roudy. ;)

Lori

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2001, 09:54 PM
Lori, perhaps he's toned down his 'horror' stuff at this point? What about his newer music? Has that toned down some? I would think maybe it has, and probably to the chagrin of his die-hard, long-time fans. But that seems to be how it is for most bands as long-ago survivors in the business. Even Garth admitted once he likes the early stuff of his favorite singers better than the newer releases. But that doesn't mean we can't be surprised. I hope Garth surprises everybody with whatever is coming from him in the near future, don't you?

By the way, Brian, Marilyn Manson got caught on camera doing a big no-no in most boyscout handbooks!!;) And there was an new annual rock awards show Alice Cooper hosted once and I have to say he was visibly out of it or drunk and at one point got so weird and violent you could see the woman cohost's horror as he went on some kind of rampage with her on live tv. I think Elton John played a big part in that show. It had to be in the 70's?

Garthfan92
10-06-2001, 11:11 PM
It's an interesting way of looking at things, I guess. I think talking about issues is good, but acting things out on stage and stuff is different. I don't think acting violent and crazy is much of a way to say it's wrong. The whole thing about rebellion is actually true though. Isn't it so much easier to be bad than good?

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2001, 11:55 PM
Well, when I think of Alice Cooper saying his becoming a Christian is a form of rebellion, I think of it in a good way, like Garth's song, "Against the Grain." And it also makes me think of the line in Friends in Low Places, where he sings, "I was the last one you thought you'd see there".

When you say, isn't it easier to be bad than good, I think, "yeah, but why is that?" why do we NOT more easily do the good? I brought up the awards thing because it was clearly not an act but a man out of control with his actions at the time. I'm glad he's put more thought into the good since then. But who would have thought the guy is just as human as you or I, with that rebellious streak always wanting to go with the flow or against it.

I remember something Chris Gaines said about his music, that he was afraid he had lost his rebelliousness. He saw it as a good thing, like when we learn to turn and finally defend what's right and good and just. Or maybe like how the United States is really united now in coming against the evil that tried to strike us down but back-fired, because, like the people did to Tommy by The Who when they caught onto him, "we're not gonna take it! never did and never will!"

Scarecrow
10-17-2001, 04:30 AM
:)