PDA

View Full Version : BIG Garth News!

Darrell
09-27-2001, 09:05 PM
Well some of you were wondering when/how Garth was gonna help out with the NYC disaster......Garth Brooks is among the artists who've been asked to participate in the star-studded Concert for New York, an Oct. 20 benefit show for the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Meanwhile, Tim McGraw will be in Las Vegas Saturday to perform at Andre Agassi's sixth annual Grand Slam for Children charity event. Billboard.com

DixieChick4GB
09-27-2001, 09:08 PM
That's great news. We knew our man has been and will continue to do good things in this world.

MT4GB
09-27-2001, 09:09 PM
Thanks for sharing the news! Garth is so cool! I am very happy and not surprised that Garth is lending a hand to help the victims! Gotta love the guy for that!

Nancy

Chris Gaines
09-27-2001, 09:10 PM
Darrell,

I know he was asked.. but did he ACCEPT?!?!?!??!?!!?

if so.. I'm there!! :)

Jason

littlebit
09-27-2001, 09:21 PM
Darrell,

**jumping up and down**

WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! can't wait to see him! Thanks for letting us know mang! ;) :cool:

nici
09-27-2001, 09:27 PM
Does anyone know where the concert is going to be held?

Vanessa
09-27-2001, 09:36 PM
that's great news!!! I wonder if i can convince my parents to let me go... that would be a GREAT Garthy present!!! :)

Vanessa :)

Paula
09-27-2001, 09:38 PM
It's being held in Madison Square Garden in New York...I think Russ posted this somewhere. I know I read it on country.com and on PG earlier tonight. Anyway, according to country.com "At press time a spokeswoman for Brooks had not confirmed his participation."

Paula

Here's the link to the Billboard article that Russ referred to on his thread - Concert for America (http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1063424)

Paula
09-27-2001, 09:50 PM
Correction (my editing time ran out)...it's call The Concert for New York, not Concert for America.

Paula

nici
09-27-2001, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the info.

My dad lives in NJ and works in NYC (yes, in the financial district, mere blocks from the WTC...but he is ok! :)) so I thought about trying to attend this since I'd have a place to camp out. Now that I see that the families of the NYFD, NYPD, & Rescue crews will be the invited guests, I have changed my mind.
As the wife of a police officer, I would never take a seat from one of those family members. Even if there were tickets to be had, I wouldn't try to get one. I would gladly give my seat to any of them. I hope that my husband never has to make that ultimate sacrifice, but I know that he would...that's the man he is. I can't imagine what they all must be going through.

As much as I would give to see Garth perform, this won't be the time for me. I hope that they all have a chance to relax and enjoy a truly amazing group of performers. As little as it might be in comparison to everything else that is going on, each of them deserves to be able to be entertained for a spell.

Nici

littlebit
09-27-2001, 10:43 PM
if he does accept do ya'll think they'll televised it?

hugeGBnutt
09-27-2001, 10:47 PM
littlebit, this should answer your question....

The Concert for New York, will be held Oct. 20 at New York's Madison Square Garden. The show will be broadcast commercial free on MTV, VH1, and other networks, and simulcast on radio stations internationally.

-Ari-

LVGB4EVER
09-28-2001, 07:39 PM
Here is the whole write up for ya ;) I hope Garth accepts :)

I am really glad and excited that Garth is now starting to do more things for us and himself (of course ;))

Paul McCartney will headline a benefit concert for victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the U.S., and has invited some of the biggest names in the music world to join him. McCartney's U.K. spokesperson confirms that the event, which is being dubbed The Concert for New York, will be held Oct. 20 at New York's Madison Square Garden. The show will be broadcast commercial free on MTV, VH1, and other networks, and simulcast on radio stations internationally.

The Who, 2001 Billboard Century Award honoree John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, Melissa Etheridge, Macy Gray, Goo Goo Dolls, and 1998 Billboard Century Award honoree James Taylor are among the artists confirmed to appear at the event, sponsored by VH1, Cablevision, and Miramax Films. Among the other acts rumored to be participating are Bruce Springsteen, Garth Brooks, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, and David Bowie.

The U.K.'s The Sun newspaper reports that McCartney has even invited the surviving members of Led Zeppelin (vocalist Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, and bassist John Paul Jones) to play; Zeppelin reformed in 1985 for the Live Aid hunger relief benefit, held simultaneously in Philadelphia and London.

Film stars Jim Carrey, Jerry Seinfeld, Gwyneth Paltrow, John Cusack, and members of all of New York's sports teams are also confirmed to appear at the gala.

All telecasts will feature a phone number and a Web site address for charitable donations. Tickets for the show go on sale Oct. 7 and range from individual seats to VIP packages.

Proceeds from the event will go to the Twin Towers Fund, which was established by New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani to assist and support the families of uniformed services members and other government personnel lost in the tragedy, plus other unnamed charities. Members of the New York Fire, Police, and Rescue crews and their families will be in the audience as invited guests.

-- Brian Garrity & Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

There ya have it...lot's of good stars...Billy Joel and Bruce TOO!!!!! You will be happy to hear that BRIAN ;)

Take Care
Sue ;)

Hawk7lte
09-30-2001, 11:44 AM
I am happy to read about this benefit. This benefit is something that we all realize that Garth would seriously consider participating in and I hope he does decide to be a part of it.

I praise and thank God that Garth listened to his inner voice and left New York when he did. But what an inner conflict it had to have been for Garth at that time. Without doubt leaving went against his basic nature; part of his heart and soul belongs to New York. Yet in those circumstances, at that moment in time, it was the only decision and action that would have been the best and safest for others. I praise the wisdom of the decision. I praise and thank Garth.

Perhaps we will never hear of all that he really experienced and all that he really did; but he is one of the survivors.

I believe that God sent many angels in before and after, and each had different purposes and different links that were necessary. I believe that Garth was one of those and that he listened to God and did what he was asked to do - not what he wanted to do.

Kisses and hugs to all those that listen, ask the right questions, come up with the right answers, and live to fight future battles for our Lord.

Bless the survivors,
Hawk

redstrokes77
09-30-2001, 04:45 PM
This is just my opinion hawk but I feel that Garth felt he was responsible for the safety of those travelling with him. There was at least his spokesperson adn a teacher from Tennesse who were in NY to do some work for the reading program. I think he may have reacted differently if he were alone at the time. This is just my opinion however.

And thanks Hawk for offering your services but I have a feeling you learned a lot more about human nature than you ever thought possible!

deb

Hawk7lte
09-30-2001, 11:15 PM
Of course Deb, you are correct - that would be a part of the conflict that Garth must have experienced.

And part of what I experienced too.

Hawk

GRTH FAN
10-01-2001, 12:48 AM
Hawk,
Glad your back, and missed your wisdom!!
THANKS for being on PG!
Donna :):):)