PDA

View Full Version : PRESS RELEASE: Garth's Songwriters to hold FREE workshops.

Chris Gaines
09-27-2001, 12:43 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SEPTEMBER 24, 2001

IN THE BEGINNING: A TRIBUTE TO GARTH BROOKS SONGWRITERS
WILL HOLD FREE SONGWRITING WORKSHOPS
WHILE ON TOUR
FIRST TWO SET IN OKLAHOMA CITY AND FORT WORTH
AT BORDERS

Songwriters Pat Alger, Tony Arata, and Kent Blazy, who have written hit songs for Garth Brooks, Kathy Mattea, Clay Walker, Lee Roy Parnell, Patty Loveless, Trisha Yearwood, Nanci Griffith, and Diamond Rio (among others), have announced that they will hold free songwriting workshops open to the public in several cities in which they are also performing concerts this year. The writers have been touring during the summer in support of the In The Beginning: A Songwriter’s Tribute To Garth Brooks album on which they (along with 5 other songwriters) perform their own versions of songs they wrote and Brooks made famous. The first two workshops will be:

Saturday, October 13th - Borders at 3209 Northwest Expressway in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, from 4 PM to 6 PM. (The songwriters will also perform later that night at The Blue Door in Oklahoma City at 9 PM. Tickets for that performance are $20).
Sunday, October 14th – Borders at 4613 S. Hulen in Fort Worth, Texas, from 4 PM to 6 PM. (The songwriters will also perform later that night at Poor David’s Pub in Dallas at 8 PM. Tickets for that performance are $12).
At the Songwriter’s Workshop, Alger, Arata, and Blazy will perform several of their best-known songs (including “Unanswered Prayers,” “The Dance,” and “If Tomorrow Never Comes”) and discuss how they were inspired to write them. They will also answer questions from the attendees about songwriting, including how to pursue it as a career. Aspiring songwriters who bring in lyrics and recorded versions of songs will have a limited opportunity to have these songs critiqued by Alger, Arata, and Blazy. Names will be drawn from a hat for this portion of the workshop as time permits.

Alger and Blazy co-produced the In The Beginning: A Songwriter’s Tribute To Garth Brooks album, which is on VFR Records and available at all music retail stores and web-sites (the other songwriters on the album include Arata, Larry Bastian, Dewayne Blackwell, Stephanie Davis, Victoria Shaw, and Kim Williams). The album contains the writer’s performances of 15 songs that they wrote or co-wrote, including “Friends in Low Places,” “The Dance,” “The Thunder Rolls,” “The River,” “We Shall Be Free,” “Rodeo,” “Papa Loved Mama,” “If Tomorrow Never Comes,” “Unanswered Prayers,” and more; it also includes Blackwell’s humorous spoof of “Friends in Low Places” entitled “Pains,” which Brooks himself sang at this year’s Country Radio Seminar. The liner notes feature an interview with Brooks and include his thoughts on all the songwriters.

In various combinations, the songwriters have been performing concerts across the country this summer in support of the album, as well as on the Grand Ole Opry, on Turner South’s “Live From The Bluebird Café” television show, and on both “World Café” and the “WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour” national radio shows.

Alger is best known for writing or co-writing “Unanswered Prayers,” “The Thunder Rolls,” and “What She’s Doin’ Now” recorded by Brooks; “She Came From Ft. Worth,” “Goin’ Gone,” “A Few Good Things Remain,” and “Seeds” recorded by Kathy Mattea; “First Time Love” recorded by Livingston Taylor; “City Lights” recorded by Livingston Taylor & James Taylor; “Like We Never Had A Broken Heart” recorded by Trisha Yearwood, “Small Town Saturday Night” recorded by Hal Ketchum; and “Lone Star State Of Mind” recorded by Nanci Griffith. He has also had songs recorded by Mark Collie, Crystal Gayle, Mickey Gilley, Michael Johnson, Brenda Lee, Dolly Parton, Peter Paul & Mary, Chely Wright, and many others.

Arata is best known for writing “The Dance” and other songs that were recorded by Brooks. He has also written “Here I Am” and “Long Stretch of Lonesome” recorded by Patty Loveless; “I’m Holding My Own” recorded by Lee Roy Parnell; and “Dreaming With My Eyes Wide Open” recorded by Clay Walker. In addition, he has had songs recorded by Suzy Bogguss, Emmylou Harris, Hal Ketchum, Dave Koz, Delbert McClinton, Reba McEntire, Dan Seals, Randy Travis, Tanya Tucker, Don Williams, and Trisha Yearwood.

Blazy is best known for writing or co-writing “If Tomorrow Never Comes,” “Ain’t Goin’ Down Til The Sun Comes Up,” and many others for Brooks; “That’s What I Get” recorded by Diamond Rio; “Headed For A Heartache” recorded by Gary Morris; and “Can’t Get Enough” recorded by Patty Loveless. He has also had songs recorded by Paul Brandt, Kenny Chesney, Bobbie Cryner, Jennifer Day, Ty Herndon, Tom Jones, Chris LeDoux, Shelby Lynne, Barry Manilow, John Michael Montgomery, and Clay Walker. He is also one of the writers on “Beer Run,” the upcoming Garth Brooks/George Jones duet.

The official website: www.garthtribute.com

GRTH FAN
10-01-2001, 01:11 AM
That would be soooooo AWESOME to go to!!
Donna :)

littlebit
10-01-2001, 06:13 PM
i'd be so awe struck i wouldn't know what to do. ;)

Wish i could go anyways. :)

MDgarthgirl
10-01-2001, 06:16 PM
I'll meet'em when they do one in Nashville or anywhere I can drive to and back from in one night.

Nash

Chris Gaines
10-01-2001, 06:18 PM
Nash.. you gonna go on the 26th? :)

Would love to meet up with you again :)

Jason

LVGB4EVER
10-01-2001, 09:30 PM
:) Thanks for sharing J :)

Wish I could go :( OH well have fun guy's...

Take Care
Sue ;)

MDgarthgirl
10-01-2001, 11:28 PM
Jason,

I dunno if I can go or not. Even with it being a Friday, school's been up and down my schedule lately. I'm sure I'll have something to do.

We'll see, though. I won't make any promises.

Nash