PDA

View Full Version : Tribute Show The Thunder Rolls - Review

Lowland_Kid
09-22-2001, 04:19 AM
Finally, last night I (with 4 other UK Garthnutts) got to see the Tribute Show "The Thunder Rolls". :D

Actually, this is not going to be a real review. I think I'll let Angela do that, since she is far better at it (as is her command of English :)).

The show was just absolutely totally GREAT, BRILLIANT, EXCELLENT!!!!!!! :D

Guys, Rick may not be Garth. But he is definitely the next best thing! He and his band were absolutely true to Garth's music & spirit. He made us laugh, he made us cry, he made us sing and dance. Sooooooo :cool:

I was very much impressed with the choice of songs. I mean, they even did "Shameless" (ahhh.. my favorite! I was in heaven! ;)) and "In Another's Eyes", with Jodie Mitchell, the base guitarist. And it sounded sooooo GOOD!!

We talked to Rick after the show and he is such a true Garthnutt! :) It was really nice to hear him speak of Garth with admiration in his voice.

The venue was small and there were not too many people (80/100?), but we really had a GREAT time. In fact, we had such a great time, that I am going to get myself tickets for Thursday too! :D
(Hiya Rick, see you on Thursday! :) Hubby already promised to come home early to babysit :))
As I was lying in bed last night, too excited to sleep, I told my hubby: "I am so happy!" That sums up the feeling that one gets from this show.

:)
Marjolijn

Oops... almost forgot: the support act "The Bunch" was also very good. Just 3 guys with guitars, playing some covers and making a lot of jokes. Their voices beautiful in harmonies.

Lowland_Kid
09-22-2001, 05:15 AM
P.S.: Rick, the name you needed to remember was Marian ;)

Marjolijn

Lowland_Kid
09-22-2001, 09:12 AM
Sorry to keep replying to my own post, but I forgot to mention that Rick & Kevin did a great job on "Longneck Bottle" too! :) Again, I was very much impressed!

Marjolijn

Jude
09-22-2001, 04:47 PM
Wow Marjolijn

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to go to one of his shows too.

I did tell him you were going!!!

Jude

angelamccann
09-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Lowland_Kid

Actually, this is not going to be a real review. I think I'll let Angela do that, since she is far better at it (as is her command of English :)).

Angela's handed the reins to Hannah for this one - since Angela has an article/ interview for Southern Country magazine in the pipeline. But no doubt she'll come in with the odd teeny comment here and there. :)

I'm glad you remembered Marian, Marjolijn - Ros and I had managed between our two major intellects to forget completely (we have an excuse of sorts - a weekend Garthing and everything goes out of our heads - who are you lot anyway, and what is this place?)!

Rick - hope you enjoyed the show as much as we did. Maybe we'll catch up with you again at another show soon...

Angela x

UKGarthFan
09-23-2001, 06:17 PM
Hi my fellow UK nutts, just got back home half an hour ago from our Garthing weekend:)
Hannah should be home in the next half hour.
Great to meet up with you again Marjolijn, everything you said about the show and Rick is so true!!!!
Hi Rick I can't thank you enough for such a great show, you did Garth and us Proud!!! I hope it won't be too long before I can get to see the show again :)
Angela you and Ros weren't the only ones to forget to remind Rick about Marian. So lets all put it down to alot of Garthing and hardly any sleep. All in all a wonderful Garthy weekend :)
I'm sure Hannah's review will be great, she's still on cloud seven!!!
Thanks to you all it's been a great few days!!! :)

Norma

Pilgrim
09-23-2001, 06:56 PM
WOW!!! Sounds like you had a great time:D:D

I would love to see one of those shows:):):cool:

Thanks for the reviews:)

Brian

Garthmedic
09-23-2001, 08:17 PM
WOW!

Sounds so VERY cool! Thanks y'all for posting that and giving us a "psuedo-Garthy" thrill.

Sounds like y'all had a great time.

Thanks for that.

--spud--:)

RickMcKay0965
09-23-2001, 08:45 PM
Thank you so much for coming to see the show on Friday. It was great to finally meet some of you at last. I want to thank you also for posting your comments. It's so difficult to know if what you're doing is right, so when I read these posts it makes me feel proud of what I am doing and want to work even harder to get the show right for the Garth fans. Actually I like "Garthnutts" better.

It was great also that you made it to the Sutton show as the theatre had not advertised properly for the show. We needed all the help we could get. Portsmouth will be a different story, I'm sure.

Double 'H' Promotions hire the venues, so the theatre and staff get paid whatever the ticket sales are. It's a pity that Sutton chose not to support us fully. Oh well.

We are looking for 250/500 seater venues all over the UK to play so if you have one near you please let us know. We have to start off small and hopefully the show will build.

I feel bad that I can't offer Brian some more definite news about any planned European dates for the show. All I can say is that over the next few months, we hope to be able to book a few dates on the continent.

You will be getting a copy of the CD soon Brian, don't worry.

Thanks again for all your kind words, comments and suggestions. We'll see you soon. Why don't you all come on Thursday?

Love, Rick

KindanewGarthfan
09-23-2001, 10:40 PM
Was that a Garth weekend or was that a Grth weekend?
I can't believe you guys beat me here

On Friday night the south of England had their own taste of Garth mania through 'The Thunder Roll' tribute show.
The audience may not have been the size of thoses of a Garth concert but the spirit and enthuseiasm was the same. Rick wearing a black stetson and a 'Mo Betta' shirt lead us all in a chorus of Garth hits, from 'calling Baton Rouge', 'Shameless' 'In anothers eyes' ( with Jodie Mitchel which was fantastic), 'The Dance' to 'Froends in low places'
The utter enjoyment that Rick and the band were having was written all over their faces which in turn reflected on the audience, I don't think the smile left my face all evening, come to think of it it's still there :)
Along with the fun that they were having the utter respect that Rick had for Garth and more importantly his music was evident as he honoured the country superstar. This was the key to the show. Rick was not trying to be Garth, he was playing homage to the music. It is the pure love of the music that shone brightly through.
Rick and the band are trying in their own way to help keep Garths music alive over here until hopefully one day Garth returns here, and what a great job they are doing.
The chemistry on the stage was electric, they had us dancing in the asiles and singing our hearts out.
I cannot express enough how respectful and genuine Rick is, which was evident when we were talking to him after the show ( hope you got all the equiptment put away Rick, hehehe) as he poured out his love and respect for Garth and his music, and his true honour in doing the show, a tribute show, which I feel is a fantastic tribute to truely fantasic music.
Rick really is one of the nicest sweetest people you could ever meet, who couldn'r do enough for you, he even said a huge thank you to 'Planet Garth' for their help.

Just like Marjolijn said we laughed, we cried, we danced and we sang, it was a wonderful evening at a great show, I definately will be going again (with all the other Garth Nutts)

Thanks Rick, see you soon and I hope you enjoyed the M&Ms

Hannah :)

Garthmedic
09-23-2001, 11:41 PM
Double WOW!!

I gotta GO!!!!

Any UK'ers have any room in your garden for a spud to "sack out" for a night? :) LOL :)

--spud--:)

Chief
09-24-2001, 02:03 AM
Spud, mom's have a good garden here.. and it's right out of my window... so you will feel snuggle here..

only problem though, i'm at the exact opposite of UK!! *LOL*

angelamccann
09-24-2001, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by RickMcKay0965

Why don't you all come on Thursday?

Ros and I are working on it :)

Angela x

angelamccann
09-24-2001, 05:12 AM
You could always come and stay with one of us, Spud - we promise we won't try to snack on you during the interval...

Angela x

Lowland_Kid
09-24-2001, 05:31 AM
Spuddups,

Don't go asking for things when you already know the answer! :p

Just make it in time on Thursday and I'll drive you to Portsmouth for The Thunder Rolls! :)

Rick,
Good to see that you had a good time too. I am very much looking forward to Thursday! :D

Angela,
Sure hope I'll see you & Ros again on Thursday too. Please let me know if any of you need a lift.

Marjolijn

RickMcKay0965
09-24-2001, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone

You people are making the last years work entirely worth every minute. Thanks again.

Thanks for the M&Ms Hannah. I stuffed them away 'til I felt ill. Now I'll have to go join a gym to work 'em off!!;) ;)

Thanks also for your revue. Would you mind if I used a few quotes from it, along with a few from Marjolijn's if she doesn't mind?

Can't wait for Thursday :D :D :D :D

Love, Rick

KindanewGarthfan
09-24-2001, 08:16 AM
Hey Rick

I wouldn't mind at all if you use quotes from the review, it was my pleasure, we all had a blast.

Hey the pics came out as well, they are 'very cool'

I won't be able to make it on Thursday :( but the other girls will be there so it definately will be mad :)

Hannah:)

Lowland_Kid
09-24-2001, 01:59 PM
Rick,

Go ahead and use any quotes! :)

Glad we could return the favour and make you happy! :)

Marjolijn

UKGarthFan
09-24-2001, 02:47 PM
Great review Hannah of a great show:) and the comments you made about Rick himself, how true, such a genuine sweetheart of a guy and a true Garth fan!!!!

Don't worry Hannah you're not the only one that can't make Thursdays show :( too far for me with work next day.

Hey spud, like the others have said there are plenty of us willing to put you up if you come over, just say the word :)

Rick, pleased to hear you're a "very happy man" you deserve to be!!
You have truly earned all the compliments and praise coming your way!!!
It's plain for anyone to see that attends the shows, that this whole thing is done for the love of Garth and his music. Getting to meet with you and talk after the show only reinforced my opinion of that and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!
I think you'd better join that gym soon as possible, I can see those M&Ms start to flood in now :)
Sorry I won't be there Thursday, I know it will be another memorable night I'll be missing :(
See you soon I hope!!!

Norma

Jude
09-24-2001, 04:42 PM
Hey I'm going on Thursday. Gotta get the day off work and CJ is on jury services but we will be there.

Jude

Lowland_Kid
09-24-2001, 05:28 PM
GREAT, Jude! :D

We're gonna have fun!!

Marjolijn

RickMcKay0965
09-24-2001, 05:29 PM
Hey Everyone

I've got a strange request for the Garthnutts who came to our Sutton show and the ones who will be there on Thursday in Portsmouth. Please could you e.mail me photos of yourselves so that I can try to put the right names to the right faces when I see you on the road.

I really enjoyed meeting you all at Sutton, and I'm sure that I'll remember you, but I worry about calling someone by the wrong name and offending one of you.

I want to put together my own photo album of our tour and the friends we make on the road.

Sorry if this sounds strange, but I'm a bit of a soppy old sod!!

I can tell that keeping the weight off could prove difficult if the M&Ms keep coming. I am a serious chocoholic, so please be gentle with me. If I get too fat we'll have to get a new Garth for the show, and I love my job!!!

Love, Rick

Lowland_Kid
09-24-2001, 05:41 PM
Hey, soppy old sod :P,

Guess that is a Garth-quality that you have to work on then: remembering EVERYBODY's names?! ;)

I brought in my film on Saturday, but because the pics will also be put on a Kodak Picture Disk, I won't have them before Thu/Fri/Sat. Will send you the best ones of the show and the group pic we did afterwards and the pic of just the two of us (if it turns out nice) by e-mail asap. In case I get the pictures already on Thursday, I will bring them to Portsmouth, so that you can already have a look at them.

Marjolijn

P.S.: I tried to call H&H today, but didn't reach Ray & Eileen. Hope I can still get the tickets in time for Thursday?!

RickMcKay0965
09-24-2001, 05:53 PM
Hi Marjolijn

If you don't get Double H in time just come anyway and I'll make sure you get in.

Thursday's sales are going to be better than last Friday's but I don't think it's a sell out. we have a way to go to get to that kind of status.

I didn't say I wouldn't remember everyones names, I just said I wanted to make sure.:p

Love, Rick

Natsie
09-24-2001, 05:53 PM
You guys are making me feel so jealous here! :mad:

Don't worry, know you don't mean to! ;)

Keep posting dates here OK, I'll prob be in the UK sometime in December, so if you're doing a show around then.... ?!! :D

Love,
Nathalie

RickMcKay0965
09-24-2001, 06:03 PM
Hi Nathalie

We are doing a few dates in December just before the run up to Christmas.

Here are the dates and the areas. I'll post all the venues a.s.a.p.

December 1st Worksop, Yorkshire
December 6th Liverpool, Merseyside
December 7th Halifax, Yorkshire
December 8th Kendall, Cumbria

I hope these tie in with your visit

Love, Rick

Lowland_Kid
09-24-2001, 06:04 PM
Thanks, Rick that would be great. :) I am bringing a friend, hope that won't be a problem.

Nathalie,
It is a shame that we are moving to Switzerland end of Oct, it would have been nice to meet up! (I live quite close to Guildford.) Hope you'll be able to catch the show once you are here and meet up with some other GarthNutts! :)

Marjolijn

angelamccann
09-24-2001, 06:28 PM
Worksop - ahh, how exotic :cool:

The 1st is a Saturday, isn't it? (Just counting forward from my birthday on the 25th Nov - which I *think* is a Sunday this year...)

Hmm. I think some of us may just possibly be able to make at least one of those dates - just need to check with the Blessed Ros as she's the only one with a car...

Photos? You can't fool me, Rick - I saw that dartboard hanging up at the back of the stage. Actually I can't think of a good one of me (I don't photograph well - in my imagination I look like Julia Roberts but cameras don't seem to pick that up somehow) - maybe when we get back from our Nashville trip in a few weeks I'll have a better one (she types, wondering if she can pass off a photo of Faith Hill as 'this is me, honest') :)

Angela x

Pilgrim
09-24-2001, 07:24 PM
WOOOOOHOOOO RICK!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

That sounds SO cool:D:D

I can't wait to hear that CD:)

I am already confident it is better than any other Garth covers I have heard:)

Brian:D

KindanewGarthfan
09-24-2001, 09:30 PM
Hey Rick

Theres now't wrong with being a soppy sod, especially a soppy sod whos a Garth fan :)

Im going to get copies of Fridays pics for Norma in the next day or so, do you still want me to get you a set done? In the mean time i'll e-mail you the group pic and a pic of the two of us, but I must warn you I do look scary :eek:

As for all the M&Ms we'll bring to the shows, I don't think you need worry too much, what with all the running around on stage, hehehe

Thanks for posting the dates for the December shows, i'll definately be booking my ticket, thats if we didn't scare you off last time :P

Hannah:)

PS thanks Norma, we'll get there at x-mas

BLL
09-24-2001, 10:11 PM
I don't photograph well - in my imagination I look like Julia Roberts but cameras don't seem to pick that up somehow -

LOL Angela!!!!! My dear, sweet, penguin, you're a good 8 inches shorter, t'is true, BUT Ms Roberts has *nothing* on your beauty or talent!!!!:)

Alas, I've been told (when thin) I look like John Denver, and (when heavy)like Dame Judi Dench..one's dead and one's me mum's age....I think I'm not flattered:p ;)

RickMcKay0965
09-25-2001, 07:04 AM
Angela: If I may quote the great man himself...
"The first thing we look for is the beauty within".

Don't let Gary Perkins (our other opening act) hear you knock Worksop. It's almost his home town. Anyway, it is exotic. I saw a tree near it. And...Yes it's a Saturday.

Our February tour will be based much more around the weekends for the benefit of those brave enough to see the show more than once.

I thought seeing as I posted the December dates it might be an idea to post October and November's dates too. I'll compile a list of dates and venues and then post them later today.
We don't have too many booked because The Corn Dogs and The Bunch already had a few commitments in their diaries.

Hannah: I'd love a copy of the pics if it's not a problem. Let me know how much they cost you.

I'm definitely going to cut down on the sweets. Notice I said down, and not out? Look out for a slim, trim, not really him, Garth on our February/March dates.

No problem with tickets for you and your friend Marjolijn. You'll be able to get them on the door, if not ask for me. I did speak to Eileen at Double 'H' and she said she had it under control

Love, Rick

angelamccann
09-25-2001, 09:45 AM
Don't let Gary Perkins (our other opening act) hear you knock Worksop. It's almost his home town. Anyway, it is exotic. I saw a tree near it.
Me? Knock Worksop? Worksop, a land flowing with - er - stuff? Didn't Garth immortalise the town in That Summer? 'We were a thousand miles from Worksop, wheatfields as far as I could see'?

He didn't? Oh - never mind then... I'll just have to wonder what the 'beauty within' Worksop could be - since I've never been there yet. No doubt I'll find out soon enough.

I'm definitely going to cut down on the sweets. Notice I said down, and not out? Look out for a slim, trim, not really him, Garth on our February/March dates.
Just mini M&Ms till then, is it? :)

No problem with tickets for you and your friend Marjolijn. You'll be able to get them on the door, if not ask for me. I did speak to Eileen at Double 'H' and she said she had it under control
No mention of Ros and me, I notice (sniffle)... No, it's all right, don't worry about us - we'll just stand outside with a flask of tea and try to imagine what songs we're missing...

Angela x

RickMcKay0965
09-25-2001, 01:58 PM
Hi Angela

I'm so sorry, I thought you and Ros had already got your tickets arranged. I thought Eileen had told me you'd been in touch with her. I can reserve a couple for you both if you like, and you can pick them up from the box office. I arranged it for Marjolijn because she was having trouble contacting Double 'H'. Would you like your tickets to be seated near her.

I refuse to be dragged into a slanging match about Worksop due to the fact that I have to go back there later in the year. They were very nice to us in June when we played there. It's a wonderful place according to my Uncle Joe who has lived near it for most of his life. But that's just his opinion. I beleive the beauty withing might be referring to the little chip shop just along from the theatre.

I really do have to watch out for the M&Ms you know. we have a 7 piece band trying to cram onto a stage about 10% of the size of Garth's. If I get too big there won't be room.

Let me know about the tickets

Love, Rick

Jude
09-25-2001, 04:46 PM
Rick

I had trouble getting a reply from the box office. Left my name and number on Sunday and kept ringing on Monday morning until I got through. I did forget to ask what time it starts 7.30ish??? The really nice lady at the box office said she didn't have many tickets left.

Marjolijn

See you there hopefully.

Jude

Lowland_Kid
09-25-2001, 05:05 PM
Rick,
I hope Angela still wants to be seated near me ;). (Forgot to bring her the ear plugs last Friday)

Jude,
You bet! :)
Marjolijn

angelamccann
09-25-2001, 05:40 PM
Hi Angela

I'm so sorry, I thought you and Ros had already got your tickets arranged. I thought Eileen had told me you'd been in touch with her. I can reserve a couple for you both if you like, and you can pick them up from the box office. I arranged it for Marjolijn because she was having trouble contacting Double 'H'. Would you like your tickets to be seated near her.
That's OK - we didn't actually know we were going ourselves until after Friday's show! Ros tried getting hold of Eileen but only managed to get her answerphone. We've conferred via the miracle of telephonic technology and YES PLEASE, we would be very happy if you could reserve a couple of tickets for us. I don't know whether the tickets have any preference (perhaps you could ask them :)) but we'd like to be sitting as close to Marjolijn as possible, please and thank you.

I really do have to watch out for the M&Ms you know. we have a 7 piece band trying to cram onto a stage about 10% of the size of Garth's. If I get too big there won't be room.
So get the band to go on a diet then - if they all lose an inch it won't hurt if you gain six, will it? Works out much better that way - lots less painful for you too (except of course the Wranglers will be a little tighter - but Garth would say that's a good thing!).

Angela x

RickMcKay0965
09-25-2001, 05:42 PM
Hi Jude
The show starts at 8pm, doors open 7.30pm If you have trouble with tickets call Double 'H' or let me know.
Love, Rick

angelamccann
09-25-2001, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Lowland_Kid

I hope Angela still wants to be seated near me ;). (Forgot to bring her the ear plugs last Friday)

Sorry - I didn't quite catch that... someone forgot to bring their earplugs for me last Friday :)

Of course I do, Marjolijn - where else would I want to sit?

We've only just got our voices back from Friday - oh, good, just in time for the next one!

Angela x

bluebyrd777
09-25-2001, 08:36 PM
Well finally I got my internet access back today :)

So apologises for being around 4 days behind everyone here but I just wanted to give my (shortish) 2 cents worth from Friday's show, although you guys already did great reviews.

Well I have to say the show is sooooooo :cool: and I had a blast, in fact there were times during the night when I could have been back at The Opry last October (and no Angela I don't just mean my bunny hopping to Callin' Baton Rouge!).

I have to say Rick that you're very brave to do this show, especially with so many of us Garthnutts around that are very critical and most certainly protective of Garth and his music.
So I take (well I would if I had one!) my hat off to you guys for putting this on. You have worked (well at some point anyway) so hard to get this right and its a great job you have all done.
It was nice to meet and chat with you after too and to hear you speak about Garth with such respect and as a fan yourself. Not to mention of course how honoured you were to be in the same photo album as Garth....that was cute.

Well I hope you had as much fun as we did. I think its only been today that my voice as come back to near normal, so now I'm resting it for Thursday night, so pleeeeaaaaasssssseee save tix for Angela and I.

Regrading the December dates....when did Worksop move into Yorkshire?

....and you want pics of everyone too? You know I thought I saw a dartboard at the back of the stage aswell, so on that basis I'm not sure its a good idea at all.
But seeing as you are such a nice soppy guy, I'll let you have this one.

Jude, Sue & Marjolijn - looking forward to meeting you guys again.

See y'all Thursday night

Take care
Ros
x

RickMcKay0965
09-26-2001, 05:48 AM
Hi there
I'm just off to the studio to pick up the CD's for tomorrow's show. I won't be back at my computer 'til monday.

I've left tickets on the door as follows....

2 for Marjolijn
2 for Angela & Ros
2 for Jude

If anyone else wants to go I think there will be some seats left you can get at the door. I hope that's correct, and I'll see you there.

Love, Rick

Lowland_Kid
09-26-2001, 06:06 AM
Rick,
Thanks again! Am already excited about tomorrow! :)

Angela & Ros,
You have to practice your voices! I haven't had any problems after Friday :p
Nice pic of "the real thing", Ros!

See you all tomorrow! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! :D

Marjolijn

angelamccann
09-26-2001, 02:30 PM
Goodness, Ros - I've never seen that photo before. Rick seems taller than I remember too... :)

Rick - I know you're not reading this but THANK YOU and we'll see you tomorrow!

Angela x

RickMcKay0965
10-02-2001, 10:57 PM
Hi it's me
I'm only on here because I still have a couple of people to e.mail this page to. We couldn't possibly have asked for nicer reviews. I know I've already said, but thanks.
Love, Rick

Jude
10-03-2001, 05:07 PM
Rick and the guys and gals

Thank you! Best show I've been to for a very long time - since Dublin I think.

Jude