PDA

View Full Version : Move over Princess Moni ~ PG has a new Queen.....

CheyenneWindRoper
09-21-2001, 02:49 AM
Queen for a day, that is! ;)

I have to tell everyone here at PG, that Garth sure knows how to pick his people! I spent nearly an hour today with some of the sweetest & nicest folks who walk the face of this earth! Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU to Bo Mitchell (President), Don Johnson( Executive Vice President) and Chad Caldwell (Director of Marketing) of Teammates For Kids! You sure know how to make a gal feel special.:D

After almost a full day of dreary business meetings in the North Denver area, I headed South & arrived at the TFK offices a little before 3pm, to deliver the check for the "overage from the Tribute Book". (Great negotiating Nelly...I know getting refunds from some of those people who did not keep their contractual agreements was NOT an easy thing to do!) I was greeted at the secured entrance by a most infectious smile from a stunning silver haired lady, who left me to feast my eyes on sports and Garth memorabilia in the front office while she went and told Don & Chad I was there. I barely had time to read what Garth had written on 2 baseball bases hung on the wall when Don and Chad appeared. We small talked a moment and then went into their conference room where I handed over the check (and yes, your letter too Nelly & Lori!:p) and we looked for an appropriate spot to take a couple of pictures.

We first thought that standing in front of the ever growing board of contributing players (which almost covers a whole wall in the conference room!) but chose instead a HUGE picture of Garth with the little boy (the 1 on the Credit Card and used in most of the ads) would be more fitting. I had just taken a couple of pictures of Chad and Don holding the check when in comes Bo! Since I have spoken with him on the phone before, finally meeting him was a real treat! We posed for a few more pictures, talked quite a bit, laughed a lot and shared a few stories and then unfortunately Don and Bo were called away to catch an important phone call. I got a great hug goodbye from Bo and as he left he told Chad to show me around their offices.

Whoa! This was just so very cool & considerate! I was given the VIP tour and saw some really unique memorabilia. Bo's Dad was a professional baseball player and some of the incredible pictures, newspaper articles, etc. were almost too much to comprehend. There were pictures of Bo's Dad with Jackie Robinson, with Babe Ruth and one that absolutely fascinated me....A signed picture to Bo's Dad from a pitcher by the name of Larson (???). Chad explained to me that there has only been one perfect game ever in World Series history, Bo's dad played in this game and was the last man to strike out. The picture was autographed..."Better luck next time". I could go on and on about all the Garth things, jerseys, baseball bats, pictures, and everything that decorate all the walls, book cases and tables in this large office complex ~ but you'd go blind reading and I would be typing forever.

I was told that I am the first "fan" to visit Teammates and now that I have let the cat out of the bag as to what super people they are, I am afraid I may not be the last. They truly treated me like royalty, which they may live to regret if visiting these offices becomes "a Garthy thing to do", now that I have spilled the beans about their big hearts & hospitality.

As I was getting ready to leave, Hallie Caldwell (Director of Charitable Giving) came into her office and Chad introduced me to his bride, and most obviously, the love of his life! On the big Garth/little boy picture Garth has autographed the picture to the staff there and refers to them as "family"...yes they are! They are cut from the exact same cloth as Garth!

To say that our little contribution was appreciated would be an understatement. I know what we were able to donate (and will be donating from the "pool" when the new album comes out and also from the auction) is "little" by comparison but is by no means a reflection of negativity in any way. It is just plain fact that none of us will ever be able to make the kind of money the professional athletes make, nor make the equivalent donations. I was thanked by EVERYONE I met today several times. It was expressed that what we do as fans to donate to Teammates means an awful lot to them and how appreciative they are. They know our donations come from the heart to help the children and out of love of Garth....and quite often represents a personal sacrifice in doing so. So to every PG'er out there who helped with the Tribute Book, bought a Tribute Book, donated to the Thanks for the new album Garth pool, uses an MBNA Touch 'Em All credit card, or will be involved in any manner with the up coming auction...........

THANK YOU for your support from Garth, Bo Mitchell, Don Johnson, Chad and Hallie Caldwell and the entire staff at Teammates for Kids!

:)
Mary Liz

zulu
09-21-2001, 03:12 AM
Woohoo Mary Liz,

Cooooool:cool: :cool:

I would love to see those pic's you mentioned.

Zelia :cool:

CheyenneWindRoper
09-21-2001, 03:15 AM
Hi Zelia!

I used my regular camera...ya know, "Old Reliable"...not my digital, so I will get them posted on here as soon as I get the film developed and scanned.

God Bless!
:)
Mary Liz

Monica Lockhart
09-21-2001, 03:24 AM
I will relinquish my throne for a day... or two ;)

Mary Liz,

Thanks for the beautifully detailed account of your trip! I felt like I was right there with you!

Thanks for delivering the "excess funds" and presenting to TFK on behalf of all that donated, worked on the Tribute Book and especially The Editor In Chief... Nelly! I know she is extremely happy that the donation was finally delivered.

Moni

nelty
09-21-2001, 09:12 AM
Mary Liz,

I wish I was there with you. ;) It would have been nice to meet Chad and give it to him, myself. ;) Thank YOU for sharing your day at TFK with us. :D We'll all be waiting for pictures ;)Again, Thank you.

I guess you have to thank me for being the first fan to visit "Teammates for Kids" hehe... J/K;)

awww Moni... Thanks... I am happy that it is done...

Nelly

ProducerJ
09-21-2001, 09:47 AM
Mary Liz
::::: bowing before your Royal Highness ::::::

Thank you for the detailed account of your trip and for being the incredibly special person that you are! I am sure when you left the staff there was talking about the amazing woman who just left.

When you first stated that Moni was going to have to move over as PG Queen, I bristled... No one could replace our Moni! But you, my dear, are a wonderful substitute Queen. Hey, if Miss America has a first runner up.... so can Queen Moni. :D

Where can I apply for the position of Lady In Waiting?
H&H!
J.

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
09-21-2001, 10:02 AM
Wow May Liz! Sounds like you had a wonderful experience.
I know that you were a wonderful representative for Nelly,Lori,the TB staff/contributors and all of us here :)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :)

I just may have to drop in there, the next time I'm home for a visit ;)

CC

Garth_FANtasizer
09-21-2001, 10:09 AM
Welcome back, your Royal Highness! All of His Garthness's royal subjects missed you! :)

The people of TFK sound amazing! Thanks for bringing some Garth light back with you!

Nelly - I can't wait for the day that you get to reap the joy you were responsible for giving to Garth and us all too! Your time will come, and I hope I am there to see it!

Good job, Mary Liz! You may have to relinquish your crown today, but your halo remains forever!

Love & Blessings,
~Ann~

nelty
09-21-2001, 10:35 AM
hehe... Ann... Thanks.. I will one day... one day. ;)

Nelly

loreli
09-21-2001, 11:43 AM
Thank you so much for doing this Mary Liz.

Nelly can finally close the books :)

It really meant alot. :)

Nelly, I know you will get to meet Garth one day :) Hopefully sooner than later :)

Lori

nelty
09-21-2001, 04:43 PM
LORI!!!!!!!!! :eek:

blushing red, embarrassed

THANKS!!!! I'll have to cover my face the rest of the day.... I'm BRIGHT RED... :o

Nelly:p

Vanessa
09-21-2001, 11:17 PM
mARyliz-what you did was very :cool:!! I can't wait to see those pics!!! :) :) We're all very very proud of you!! :) :) :)

Vanessa :)

no1cowgirl
09-22-2001, 01:15 AM
Mary Liz-
You, me, Denver. *L* SOON. I wanna go!

Krista

majmom
09-22-2001, 04:14 AM
ML,

I bow in the presence of greatness!;) Thanks so much, your royal ML-ness, for delivering our donations for us - I guess there's a new stop on the "must-see GB tour" :p

Just one more Garthadventure I haven't had YET! :)

And "Princess Nelly" - thanks so much for the tough negotiations - you are responsible for such a great donation for the kids! You rock, gal!

Kerry

(as she courtsies in her best "catholic-girls' school form) At my age I just might get stuck down there :eek:

nelty
09-22-2001, 04:12 PM
Kerry..

You must be mistaken... lol.. No way I'm a princess. Thanks though. :) and ya most welcome...

Nelly's face turning bright red again

I emailed you a while ago.. did you ever receive it???

Nelly

Garthfan92
09-22-2001, 11:30 PM
Mary Liz, thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful details. Just goes to show that Garth always surrounds himself with the best people. Can't wait to see your pictures!

Lisa

Jen19
09-23-2001, 12:38 AM
Hey Mary Liz

What a great story and what a cool experince you had.. that must have been really cool :)

Can't wait to see the pics too !!

JEN