PDA

View Full Version : In pieces: No CDs for Brooks promo

redstrokes77
09-11-2001, 09:09 AM
I found this article at:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bpihw/20010910/en/in_pieces_no_cds_for_brooks_promo_1.html

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- Garth Brooks recordings will be the testing ground for a new procedure that may result in the demise of radio, promotional and review copies of CDs.

Authenticated users, as determined by EMI Recorded Music, will be sent digital files of the Capitol Records Nashville artist's forthcoming single "Beer Run (B Double E Double Are You In?)" over the Internet. Security and other technologies are from BayView Systems.

"Nobody is going to be sending CDs to radio stations anymore," EMI Recorded Music senior vp new media Jay Samit said. "I see a future where hard copies of the product are replaced with digital."

Piracy is one of the main problems the initiative will tackle. "Protecting prereleased tracks from music pirates is very important," Samit said. "We have many artists that are very, very concerned with the issue. It is crippling the launch of albums."

Samit said Brooks took a personal interest in the project. "Garth is the No. 1-selling artist of all time, and security is a huge issue for him, for other artists and for us," he said. Future product from Brooks and other artists also will be distributed this way.

He added that the initiative also will result in significant cost savings when compared with packaging, handling and mailing out CDs. Additionally, there are strategic business advantages to this distribution method.

"Not only does this protect content from leaking out, but it also provides tracking," Samit said. "You can keep track of how it was used, when it was used, where it was used -- imagine, in the future you could find out when a track was played on the air even on college radio."

He does not believe that there will be any backlash from the thousands of programmers, critics and other people deprived of receiving the actual CD. "I don't foresee any difficulty," Samit said. "In some ways, I think this will even be more convenient for them."

I also found a new pic of Garth at:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/ap/20010910/en/1000129707briefs_brooks_ny113.html

deb

Pilgrim
09-11-2001, 09:47 AM
No more promos??:(:(

Brian:(

jstensig
09-11-2001, 12:10 PM
The idea is good - but a shame about the promos of course.

Jakob

Dancer
09-11-2001, 04:07 PM
That's a real shame. Especially for the collectors of hard to find music memorabilia. :(

MDgarthgirl
09-13-2001, 08:49 PM
I'm probably the weaker voice here, but speaking as an advocate for the industry, I think it is an awesome idea. There's no one I'd rather see at the lead than Garth and his team.

Piracy, the used CD market, etc., are detrimental to all involved in making music. Personally, I think mostly of the writers, publishers, and musicians. Their music is not free.

Nash

Chris Gaines
09-14-2001, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by MDgarthgirl
the used CD market are detrimental to all involved in making music. Personally, I think mostly of the writers, publishers, and musicians. Their music is not free.I don't see how the used CD market hurts anyone. The royalties for that ablum on the shelf is already paid for. It's just like you going to eBay to sell old CDs you no longer need. I mean.. Piracy.. yes..

It's not illigal to sell any of you're old stuff.. goto a yard sale you'll see music for sale there.. along with chairs.. clothes... (I don't hear Wrangler, or Lee jeans complaining about used clothes shops.) ya know?

:)
Jason

Pilgrim
09-14-2001, 05:13 AM
Jason!!!!!!

We totally agree:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Garth should be ashamed for his greediness in trying to stop the selling of used CD's:(

New music on the internet from Napster or whoever put it up now befre it is released is TOTALLY okay, but used CD's??

NO WAY!!

Brian

MDgarthgirl
09-14-2001, 05:37 PM
Yes, the royalties are collected on the first sale of a CD. The problem with used CDs is that royalties are not collected on the additional sales. So, every used CD sold is one new CD sale lost to the writers, etc.

Unfortunately, you’re right, copyright laws show no recourse for this practice. The "first sale doctrine" actually permits individual owners of a copy of a record lawfully made to "sell or otherwise dispose of the possession."

It remains, however, that writers and publishers are cheated out of royalties when their sales are lost to the used CD market. And if it keeps growing into larger retailers, they will lose more and more money. And if one domino falls…

As far as the clothing industry, the circumstances are a little different based on the absence of copyrighted material. I don’t yet know the conditions of brand name trademarks.

Nash

onair
09-14-2001, 06:25 PM
This is nothing new to Garth or the industry. When Garth released Long Neck Bottle, it came through via satellite. The same thing was done with Fever from Fresh Horses. Shania Twain also sent her new singles this way to radio. Capitol sent a John Berry Christmas Carole back in '98 to stations across the country.

The only draw back is that not all stations have the satellite technology to receive the songs this way. So if the promo CD's are going away, then the stations will have to actually buy their music from 1 of a couple of music companies.

onair

Chris Gaines
09-14-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by onair
This is nothing new to Garth or the industry. When Garth released Long Neck Bottle, it came through via satellite. The same thing was done with Fever from Fresh Horses.I've got The Fever & Longneck Bottle Promo (radio single) CDs... if it was done that way.. it wasn't done completely that way :)

Jason