PDA

View Full Version : Does Garth still have what it takes?

SweetGBFan
09-01-2001, 08:41 AM
Well, I read the post about what that guy Jimmy Carter had to say about Garth. We on this forum are all die hard Garth fans and Garth could produce toilet water and we would all rush to buy it. However, do you think he makes some valid points or not? Has Garth lost some of his fan base because not only from the Chris Gaines stuff but also from going back and forth on his retirement? Will he be able to produce the numbers on his CD sales this time around? After all alot of people just go to these sites on the web and download songs. Will that hurt the sales? Do people really care about Garth anymore? There is now Tim McGraw who is the most popular country star at this time and there is Faith Hill and alot of new country artists coming along such as Blake Shelton, Keith Urban, Jamie ONeal, Brad Paisley and so on. Will this hurt Garths popularity?

Also, if his CD doesnt sell 9 or 10 million copies and only goes multi platnium 3 times are people going to think he is a failure? After all Chris Gaines only sold 2 million copies which people said was a failure. (Tim McGraw sells 2 million and its a big hit, Garth sells 2 million and its a big failure. Go figure!)

Will he debut on the charts at #1 or will he debut at a lower # and be called once again a failure.(Tim's CD debuted at #2 once again a big hit)
What Im getting at has country music changed so much that people will think Garth is a has been? For me and for us he will never be a has been. I know Wild Horses was eaten up by radio stations and a ten year old song got to #7 on the charts and really flew up the charts to that position. Will this song do really well do you think and possibly be another #1 for Garth? I for one think Garth still definitely has it. He may take awhile to build back up again, but if he decides to tour and promote I think that people will see he hasnt changed and come to see him in droves. Do most people still love Garth Brooks and his music? It seems like most people either really love him or they really hate him. What do you guys think?

I for one will continue to buy his CD even if I was the only one buying them. If he toured I would go to his concerts even if I was the only one there. What a dream come true, to be the only person at a Garth concert!!!

Garthfan92
09-01-2001, 11:49 AM
YES! New material is all it will take. As soon as there's something out on radio again, I think people who have drifted away from Garth will come right back. It's not gonna take long at all. I to will be buying albums and go to any concerts if we were the only two there! Somehow I think there's a lot of other people that would join us!

Lisa

Garth_FANtasizer
09-01-2001, 03:07 PM
I really don't see any reason for concern. Garth is now, and always will be the best thing that ever happened to Country Music.. actually, to MUSIC of any genre! Garth isn't a fad - He is an icon! A living legend!

~Ann~

Jusdrummin
09-01-2001, 04:09 PM
I went for drinks and ya'll are trying to take the whole front row.

Chris Gaines is The Game
09-01-2001, 05:30 PM
I think the album will do very well. Most of us have been waiting for it and that can only help it. Look at artists such as Bon Jovi who took breaks and came back juat as big before. With a fan base as large as Garth's the album should do good.

Vanessa
09-01-2001, 06:10 PM
I totally agree with you Chris Gaines Is In the Game :) :) very well said!! :)

Vanessa :)

Darrell
09-01-2001, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SweetGBFan
[B]. We on this forum are all die hard Garth fans and Garth could produce toilet water and we would all rush to buy it. ?

Uh...no thanks, all though I do agree with some of your other points.

justus
09-01-2001, 10:14 PM
<<<<<Climbs up on a really big soap box that sits way out on a long limb

First of all, I think to question if "Garth still 'has it'" is to in some way belive he 'lost it'.

That being said...the following: Do I believe Garth has lost some of his fan base? Yes, but they are more likely the ones who either came in just before or just after Garth did the CGGH. (which brings me to a point of LeAnn Rimes who did the vocals for the "singer" in Coyote Ugly - how come she can do that but not Garth?? - sorry, whole nuther issue :)) Those people who have not been able to see Garth live and really "get it" are in another group of possible losses. These two groups have not hit upon what we know and love about Garth (no offense to those here who came to Garth after CG - you all have taken the time to find out more about Garth, have bought his older stuff)...there are many who did not do either.

My local country station, whose design includes a "Garthesque" form is not being very nice about all of this either. They haven't trashed him, but close.

I think that the low sales failure issue is considered that because Garth is an icon in the industry. Anyone who has done any living knows that to get anywhere, someone somewhere will be upset by it. A strong person recognizes that. Garth is in no way presenting any weakness in my estimation by re-releasing and putting out this next CD. On the contrary, he has gotten flak about doing both of those things and is not backing down.

Tim McGraw is a very talented artist, but obviously not "the next Garth". His sales reflect that. Country music needed another Garth to stay alive and Tim McGraw seemed to best "fit the suit" (Brady Bunch pun intended). Most of that is because of the Tim/Faith love story and the fact that Tim McGraw is also very energetic on stage and looks good in tight jeans (again, he is no Garth lol). Garth's only true replacement is Garth.

I look forward to the new CD with an unabashed sense of urgency. Do I want Garth to sacrifice what he has now to tour again?? No. There is plenty of time to tour, there is only precious time with our children while they are young and with our parents in their prime. If he does though, y'all will have to get through me and mine before you snag the whole danged front row!!

<<<<<Gets down of my really big box very quickly before she is pushed off! :p

Paige

wizard2C
09-01-2001, 10:59 PM
Hi!

You all have very well taken points. We must remember Garth is releasing a single with George Jones (who is no doubt a country music legend). This should help Garth enormously get the radio support needed. And once the single is released and sells well (I can't see why it shouldn't) then there is enough momentum to keep the balls rolling til Garth's CD is released.

I know the country station I hear out of Lakeland, Florida plays Garth music all the time.;)

I doubt if we'll see Garth touring again...well that would mean a band, electronic equipment and gizmos, a vehicle convoy (pls. if anyone seen my rubber ducky, send him home), a new wardrobe of jeans (leather, pls...Garth!...and oh yes, tight):cool: :p

Carol
Wizard2C:)

----------------------

"Dance!Sing!Fun!" a 2002 world-wide children's charities event!.....They want to play and run, To laugh without a fear!

Garthfan92
09-01-2001, 11:10 PM
Paige, I see you live very close to me (I'm actually in Elk Grove). You're right about US99. They haven't outright trashed Garth, and play lots of his music. There have been some upsetting comments over the last couple years though. Probably ever since the CG album came out. Then other times, they'll turn around and be very flattering. Wish they'd make up their minds one way or the other at least!:mad: It does sound like they're excited about the new album though. They better play the new material A LOT, or I'll be on Trish's case about it!

Lisa

no1cowgirl
09-02-2001, 12:46 AM
After all Chris Gaines only sold 2 million copies which people said was a failure. (Tim McGraw sells 2 million and its a big hit, Garth sells 2 million and its a big failure. Go figure!)

While I also disagree that this is a double standard, I understand it. You have to look at Garth's sale's #'s and compare them to what the CG album sold. For a Garth album, 2 million IS small. The media/music row people weren't the only ones criticizing the "failure" of the project. I believe Garth was dissapointed, too (I'm pretty sure I've heard quotes from him about it). Considering that Garth has sold in an excess of 100 Million albums, you have to understand that an album "only" selling 2 million is small when set in Garth standards (*L* everything's different in Garth's world). I'm not sure what the numbers for each album are (having a hard time finding it), but they're nowhere hear 2 million.

I didn't like the CG project at first...and then I heard the music. :) Awesome.

He never lost it. He still has it. He'll always have it.

"Choosing music as a profession is not something that comes to you in life. It's a path chosen for you long before you enter this world."

Krista

fuzzwuzz
09-02-2001, 12:55 AM
Do people really care about Garth anymore? There is now Tim McGraw who is the most popular country star at this time and there is Faith Hill and alot of new country artists coming along such as Blake Shelton, Keith Urban, Jamie ONeal, Brad Paisley and so on. Will this hurt Garths popularity?

Do people care about Garth anymore? We do, if we really love him.

Will this hurt Garth's popularity? It might, but in a good way that he may want, for the sake of country music to 'grow up' into it's own, without him, and with him.
I love all the singers mentioned. They all stand out as winners for country music on their own.

Pilgrim
09-02-2001, 01:30 PM
Has Garth lost some of his fan base because not only from the Chris Gaines stuff but also from going back and forth on his retirement?
Tup, he definitely has:) Especially if you compare to the "No Fences" CD and what it sold.
Will he be able to produce the numbers on his CD sales this time around?
Not the numbers from NF and RTW unless he cheats his way through it all again with multiple covers and first editions.

After all alot of people just go to these sites on the web and download songs. Will that hurt the sales?
Not too bad....... I HOPE!!

Do people really care about Garth anymore?
Sure, we care about him here on PG;) But that is like 99.99% out of the rest of his fan base. *LOL*

There is now Tim McGraw who is the most popular country star at this time and there is Faith Hill and alot of new country artists coming along such as Blake Shelton, Keith Urban, Jamie ONeal, Brad Paisley and so on. Will this hurt Garths popularity?
Tim who???? I don't know him:confused:
I like Faith and Brad, but Garth is still better:)

Also, if his CD doesnt sell 9 or 10 million copies and only goes multi platnium 3 times are people going to think he is a failure? After all Chris Gaines only sold 2 million copies which people said was a failure. (Tim McGraw sells 2 million and its a big hit, Garth sells 2 million and its a big failure. Go figure!)
Of course CG was a failure. It was even a fiasco like some guy said. A brandnew garth album that sell only 2 million copies IS a failure. No way around that.
And if a brandnew COUNTRY album doesn't sell more than he is in deep sh*t :eek:
Then he don't have what it takes. I do think it will sell around 5-7 million copies though, but he should get rid of the sub-country style on FH and "Sevens" then and go back to the style on his first three albums.

Will he debut on the charts at #1 or will he debut at a lower # and be called once again a failure.(Tim's CD debuted at #2 once again a big hit)
I don't think I risk much by saying I am VERY confident that I can guarantee that he will debut at #1:)

What a dream come true, to be the only person at a Garth concert!!!
You don't wish him success??:confused: I am pretty sure he wouldn't think it was a dream come true:p

brian

angelamccann
09-02-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Pilgrim

Of course CG was a failure. It was even a fiasco like some guy said. A brandnew garth album that sell only 2 million copies IS a failure. No way around that.

Tricky one - CG was a Garth album that wasn't a Garth album, so I don't think we can count it in the same terms - I certainly don't! I disagree that it was a failure - his Christmas albums haven't done 10 million and no-one points a finger at them :) It's one of those 'in the eye of the beholder things, I guess.

I do think it will sell around 5-7 million copies though, but he should get rid of the sub-country style on FH and "Sevens" then and go back to the style on his first three albums.

I can just see Garth reading this and saying 'Why didn't you tell me this when I *started* recording this album? Dang - back to the drawing board...'

I don't think I risk much by saying I am VERY confident that I can guarantee that he will debut at #1:)

Woohoo to that - but does this mean you're prepared to buy enough copies to make sure? ;)

You don't wish him success??:confused: I am pretty sure he wouldn't think it was a dream come true:p

Garth runs onstage at Texas Stadium to find the whole audience consists of one person - LOL Cute image just thinking how his face would look! Having said that, he's played to an audience of nine before and still gave them everything he'd got. I don't think he'd worry about it unless it happened every night...

Angela x

SweetGBFan
09-02-2001, 03:52 PM
Angela, that was funny!! I can see it now. Here I am front row tickets that werent too hard to get!! Garth comes up out of the piano and there I am all alone in the front row, he sees me, stops and looks, big grin, shrugs his shoulders, blows a kiss and gives the concert of his life!! Dream come true for me!!!!

Lost 'n' Garth
09-02-2001, 03:59 PM
EXCUSE ME..TB (aka sweetgbfan)

Make that you and me in the front row and girl..you better be ready to fight for that kiss. (our hands in the air flailing, trying to grab that kiss..pushing each other away)

Hey I will bring the popcorn!!:p

Cheri :)

Lost 'n' Garth
09-02-2001, 04:08 PM
Sorry..Lost my mind a bit!!

In response to the question:

Do I think Garth has want it takes and will this album go #1..yes!!

I do think Garth has lost fans over the years but people are fickle. I don't think Garth lost fans because of Chris Gaines or anything else..Just think people change and music interests change.

I think Garth has a pretty good fan base. He will do well but I do not think he will ever find that popularity that he had in the early 90's.

If he does well..:) If he doesn't..oh well..he made his true fans very happy!!

Thanks Garth

Cheri :)

MT4GB
09-02-2001, 04:10 PM
All of the sudden Nancy runs in and pushes the other ladies out of the way and gets to Garth and plants a kiss on him and takes him back to Montana where he does a concert for her and Brian! Brian is my co-trouble maker so he helps me get Garth to Montana! And of course Garth loves all of this attention and gladly goes to Montana with Nancy and Brian! Garth also goes to the hospital to help raise money for the dialysis unit! Hey I can dream too can't I! hehehe!

Nancy

Pilgrim
09-02-2001, 06:04 PM
Tricky one - CG was a Garth album that wasn't a Garth album, so I don't think we can count it in the same terms - I certainly don't! I disagree that it was a failure - his Christmas albums haven't done 10 million and no-one points a finger at them It's one of those 'in the eye of the beholder things, I guess.
It was a Garth album. Period:)
He was the one singing on it:)
So it was a failure.
Also the Christmas album had lots of traditional songs on them which is probably a huge factor as tio why it wasn't sold that much. people simply have the songs already, and we can't expect everyone to be like us here on PG infact we are in a minority among Garth fans I would say.:)

Brian

SummerWind
09-02-2001, 06:15 PM
Of course he has what it takes...he never lost it, its just been put on the back burner secondary to more important things. Tim is the biggest male star right now because Garth hasn't been putting out new music. How can you win awards and such without new material. The man certainly deserved a vacation and if he still plans to retire after this album I support him 100%. It wont mean he LOST anything at all.

I definately think the album will debut at #1. How could it not? Fans have been waiting for it anxiously...my anticipation grows every minute. I for one will be there when the stores open to get one of the 1st copies :)

I do believe that he may have lost some fans over the past few years. NOT from lack of talent or what not, but because he had no new music out. I call them "fair weather fans" NOt to say thats a bad thing but I cant even imagine being this big of a fan for anyone else ever. GB is too special. I have just spent the time listening to all the old stuff. I dont think CG was a fiasco, it wasn't the success of GB proportions but then again it wasn't GB...well not really...know what I mean.

JMTC
Jenny

CheyenneWindRoper
09-02-2001, 11:32 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Mary Liz

angelamccann
09-03-2001, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Pilgrim

It was a Garth album. Period:)
He was the one singing on it:)
So it was a failure.
Brian

Well, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to disagree with you on that one - so I will :)

Angela x

Pilgrim
09-03-2001, 07:17 AM
Yup, but I would like to know if it wasn't Garth singing it, then who was it:confused: :confused: :confused:

Brian

SweetGBFan
09-03-2001, 07:32 AM
Hey Cheri girl,
Didnt your mother ever teach you to share??? All you had to do was ask for a front row ticket in a nice way and I gladly would have given you one, seeing as there were plenty to go around!!! Now, I dont know you might just have to fight me for that ticket!! Anyway as long as you bring the popcorn I will forgive you for interupting my concert with Garth! Nancy, as for you.... you definitely will have to fight Cheri and I to get Garth out of that place!!! Anyone else want to join in our dream come true concert???

redstrokes77
09-03-2001, 09:10 AM
Seems everyone is basing the number of sales as equaling "sucess.":(

Garth has said it more than once: it's the MUSIC that counts!

If his music still touches hearts, makes you scream and shout, or makes you think, that's what I consider success!

The race is not for the sales numbers but for the number of people's hearts that are touched. Just because people may not "buy" the music doesn't mean that it won't affect people in one way or another.

deb

justus
09-03-2001, 11:03 AM
Very well said Deb!!
A resounding AMEN!!!!
:):)

Paige

wizard2C
09-03-2001, 12:56 PM
Hi!

:D Count me in......a concert for just me from the G-Man? How thoughtful of you all. I don't know what I'd do in that front row all by myself though.....who would pick me up after I passed out from the ecstasy of it all....seeing Garth perform?:eek:
So someone ought to sit next to me just in case. Better bring along that popcorn in the event it's a long affair and we get hungry. :cool:

Carol
Wizard2C:D

---------------------

"Dance!Sing!Fun!" a 2002 world-wide children's charities event!:o

kristen166
09-03-2001, 01:13 PM
I don't understand who could think they know what it takes for Garth in the music biz beside Garth himself. I would like to hope if people knew what it takes for Garth Brooks to be sucessful in his music career that they would be the ones selling millions of albums and running at the pace he does.:)

Wendi5000
09-03-2001, 01:18 PM
With Garth taking time off to be with his family, and then playing baseball instead, and then "coming back" to music with a new album and trying to be his alter ego instead of himself, and then announcing possible plans for retirement, and then going out and doing about a million new things, I'm now even so sure that Garth knows what it takes to be Garth these days :rolleyes:.

MT4GB
09-03-2001, 01:34 PM
Garth is going through a very hard time in his life-his mom dying from cancer and then the divorce! I remember when we first found out that Gary is sick and almost died! I did not know if I was coming or going! I felt like I was a very well trained robot! I had all of these people telling me what to do or what to say-my ex-friends and my in-laws! So in a way I can understand what Garth is going through! When my in-laws came and told us we were moving to Wolf Point and started to try to break us up that is when Gary and I finally woke up and said NO MORE! I still have bad days and I do sometimes feel like a robot but now I am in better control of the situation! We should not be second guessing every little move that Garth makes! I believe in Garth and yes I admit that I do like him to retire but it is his decision and I respect him for it! I still believe he has the "gift" otherwise I would not be on PG and counting the days to new Garth music! Okay I am no getting off my soap-box! I hope I have not offended anyone by what I just posted! By the way Garth and I have a understanding that he will come to Montana and do a private concert just for me! hehehe!

Nancy

SummerWind
09-03-2001, 01:54 PM
Deb,
VERY well said! AMEN!

Jenny

MT4GB
09-03-2001, 02:17 PM
Oops I meant to say that I may not like him to retire but I do respect his decision and I stand by him!
Deb I agree with what you have said also!

Nancy

no1cowgirl
09-03-2001, 06:50 PM
deb-
You're right! :) I was from looking at it from a business stand point, but you make a VERY vaild point yourself. I know very well that it's the hearts, not the #'s that count. :) Thanks for reminding me.

Krista

fuzzwuzz
09-03-2001, 09:40 PM
Oh Brian! What am I to do with you? It's Chris Gaines fault I'm even here to annoy you once in awhile. There is no way I can ever call a failure something that gave me you as a friend, ok?

And all this talk about Garth giving a concert for one? Isn't that what he offers with his Double Live cd? A #1 seat in the first row? Garth already sings to us one on one with his music. Only, I got it FIRST through Chris Gaines. You wanna talk intense?!! I hope I NEVER recover!! Chris either!!;)

littlebit
09-03-2001, 10:31 PM
:) always had, still has and always will have! ;)

Not only do i love Garth for his music which will last forever imho

But i love him cos he's real. And record execs, fly by night fans, and idiot critics ( why do we even listen to these people?) will never understand that whether he is being his sweet self or whether he's playing a role like Chris Gaines, he's sincere.

And sincerity can't be marketed. Nor can an unsincere person try to fake haveing it. And they can't BUY it LOL

And alot of people are jealous becos they will never have it.

But Garth (and the members of Stillwater) have it. And you can take fame away . . .

But you can't take their sincerity away. :cool:

no1cowgirl
09-03-2001, 10:58 PM
:) You are SO right deAnnalynn.

Krista

fuzzwuzz
09-04-2001, 12:13 AM
She sure is!!!

Pilgrim
09-04-2001, 03:29 AM
I know "Chris Gaines" brought you here Dale:) It's still Garth though;)
Cool:)

I like your reply about DL:)

Brian:)

fuzzwuzz
09-05-2001, 02:04 AM
See Brian! I told ya Garth would make sure you got your wish of a one on one concert!! And I've been 'listening in' too like you said I could! Remember that thread? ;)

Pilgrim
09-05-2001, 05:07 AM
I'm afraid I don't remember the thread:o:o:o:(

Brian

fuzzwuzz
09-05-2001, 06:22 PM
Oh I do. It was where you said you would want a one on concert with Garth and I asked if I could come and watch from the wings and you said yes. I can't remember the question though. Maybe to describe your dream concert with Garth? Mine was lots of Chris Gaines, yours wasn't, I'm sure. Funny the things we remember, or forget. I have many good memories with you Brian. Some you may not even realize meant anything to anybody. But they did to me. Thanks for that.

Pilgrim
09-06-2001, 04:06 AM
Oh it does ring a bell now:) I just can't place it:o
I am glad that I can bring you GOOD memories and not bad :) *LOL*

Brian