PDA

View Full Version : My Moment

justus
08-29-2001, 11:45 PM
I wasn't going to post this because it just seems so private...still does, but I want to share it in hopes that it might touch just one person.

First of all, some of you may remember me as fullhouse from #gbfan a few years ago. Some of you might remember a story about a little boy who was handicapped and sick...Adam. That's my little angel.

Through some wonderful people here (y'all know who you are) we were blessed with the opportunity to see Garth in concert in E'ville,IN and a few other things...

Anyway, I got this call from a Wish agency that I was working with...Garth was not going to be doing any M&G's, was there another wish?...Nope, we'll wait...

Two months later, another call...Can you guys be in Florida in 10 days?...We're there!!

We were sent an itinerary and tickets...we are to be at spring training at noon...we got lost...I called the stadium...they were looking for us...are we ok?...yes, just lost...we were to be there at 10am...Crap!...Come anyway, we'll see what we can do...

We get there and were met by someone from the agency...we just have to see Garth after the game...
We are walked to the field...I'm digging in my bag for my camera...I hear voices...I turn around to an outstretched hand "Hi, I'm Garth Brooks." "Duh..It's so cool to meet you!" "It's cool to meet you too"

We went over to Adam and Garth starts playing with Adam's hair...I couldn't bear to cut off Adam's curls, so he has a tail, which Garth is now twirling in his fingers...the tears start to flow...I turn away...Garth comes over to me and gives me a huge hug, apologizing for stinking (Garth??Stink??) Never! I tell him (I have since been informed, he has and does!! LOL)

I proceed to tell Garth how he has been Adam's pain medication and has gotten him through many,many surgeries (too many if you ask me)...Garth asks about his fave song...it used to be Callin Baton Rouge, but has been replaced by Long Neck Bottle...Garth runs into the dugout and comes back with a guitar...he kneels down beside Adam's wheelchair and starts singing LNB....more tears...Adam is "singing" along...Garth closes his eyes and smiles...yes,Adam has been able to give back to Garth.

There was more, so much more...we talked, shared family stories, laughed, took pictures and got autographs...The one thing that will stay forever (besides everything else) is when we were leaving,Garth gave me another hug and said "Stay strong"...Now whenever Adam is having a rough time, I hear those words loud and clear and keep going....

Thank you for letting me share this...I would love to share all of it, but it's so close to my heart that it's hard...

Paige

justus
08-30-2001, 12:03 AM
Just want to add a pic

justus
08-30-2001, 12:07 AM
:)

Monica Lockhart
08-30-2001, 12:23 AM
Paige,

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely story and especially those pictures! I was there and actually remember seeing Adam. I remember seeing him in that outfit! The M & M's outfit was certainly fitting... what did Garth have to say to Adam about it?

Garth is so giving to his fans. I know how you must have been overwhelmed with emotion. I am so glad that Adam was able to meet him.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how is Adam doing? I will certainly keep him in my prayers :)

Monica

justus
08-30-2001, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Monica Lockhart
I was there and actually remember seeing Adam. I remember seeing him in that outfit! The M & M's outfit was certainly fitting... what did Garth have to say to Adam about it?

He actually yanked on Adam's shirt and said "Hey bud! You're wearin' my shirt!" It was so cute! Adam just laughed.

It was very emotional, and still is...Adam's room is full of Garth and he "talks" to him all the time!

Originally posted by Monica Lockhart
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how is Adam doing?
He is having a rough go at it lately. More surgeries coming up way too soon for me. He has actually gotten worse over the past year, since his last surgery. Thank you so much for thinking of him.:)

Paige

Lowell Miller
08-30-2001, 02:05 AM
Paige what a truly wonderful experience for Adam, you and Garth. The look on Adam's face while Garth is singing to him is priceless. I would think doing something like that would be/and is Garth's greatest accomplishment. To be able to lift somebody spirit like that really means more than selling 500 million records. I'm so glad this happened to Adam. :D I can tell by looking at him he is very, very special.

justus
08-30-2001, 10:01 AM
Lowell~
Thank you for all your kind words, soooo sweet.

You made my struggle with getting this post up more worth it!
Paige

majmom
08-30-2001, 12:29 PM
Paige-

Thank you so much for sharing yours and Adam's moment with us. It musn't have been easy, but you have certainly brought a smile to my heart today! :D

I know it's a struggle to share something so personal and special - but take comfort in knowing how much joy you've given those of us who have the priveledge of sharing it! ;)

Moni - I remember you guys relating how special it was to be there when Garth was with Adam - it's so great to have that confirmed by Paige! :)

Thanks for the pics, also - VERY sweet. :)

How are you and Adam doing?

*Prayers*, *hugs* and *heart pats* to you,

Kerry

justus
08-30-2001, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by majmom
Paige-

Thank you so much for sharing yours and Adam's moment with us. It musn't have been easy, but you have certainly brought a smile to my heart today! :D

I know it's a struggle to share something so personal and special - but take comfort in knowing how much joy you've given those of us who have the priveledge of sharing it! ;)

Moni - I remember you guys relating how special it was to be there when Garth was with Adam - it's so great to have that confirmed by Paige! :)

Thanks for the pics, also - VERY sweet. :)

How are you and Adam doing?

*Prayers*, *hugs* and *heart pats* to you,

Kerry

First of all, let me say "Thank you Kerry". I struggled with this for over a year and a half. I figured if Garth wasn't going to talk about it, I'm not either. (Cause, ya know when you go through a wish foundation...there's press)But then I thought...Ya know something....THIS is why Garth is where he is...NOT the controversy that you hear...It's because he reachespeople, even those most of us think are "unreachable". Hell, I dd. If it wasn't for how Adam reacts to Garth and his music, I wouldn't have believed he was cognitive of much at all. Garth had given me new eyes to see and I felt that if I shared our experience, maybe someone else would see with those eyes too. Not that I believe any PGer's are blinded in any way...on the contrary, you all are the sweetest people know!!

Secondly, I must have missed Monica's post about Adam and Garth...does anyone have it, know where I could find it? I'd love to share it with Adam. He was soooooo excited when I told him about Garth's new song!!

Finally, thank you for asking about Adam and I. Adam is in the midst of more medical junk, trying to figure out what's going on and why. I'm actually thinking about moving to N'ville, so he may have his next surgery there. I am doing good...struggling through a divorce, but stronger for it :)

Paige

majmom
08-30-2001, 01:27 PM
I struggled with this for over a year and a half. I figured if Garth wasn't going to talk about it, I'm not either. (Cause, ya know when you go through a wish foundation...there's press)But then I thought...Ya know something....THIS is why Garth is where he is...NOT the controversy that you hear...It's because he reachespeople, even those most of us think are "unreachable".

AMEN, girl!

As far as Moni's post, I can't swear it was she who posted - it may have been one of the nutts she was with who also got to witness some part of Adam's "moment". You can search the "Moments" forum if you click on "search" at the top of the page and follow the directions from there.

As I am replying to this, "To Make You Feel My Love" is playing on the radio - I guess that's what Garth did with Adam and what you did with us by sharing this post :)

Adam is in the midst of more medical junk, trying to figure out what's going on and why. I'm actually thinking about moving to N'ville, so he may have his next surgery there. I am doing good...struggling through a divorce, but stronger for it

Gal, you seem pretty strong to me already! ;)

Take Care,

Kerry

justus
08-30-2001, 02:47 PM
Kerry~
I looked and looked, but could not find the post about Adam's moment viewed from afar. There was a post about a little boy in a wheelchair, but that ws not Adam...Adam cannot talk. I know that makes it more difficult to imagine his response. Funny thing is, that is exactly what made Adam's moment with Garth soooo wonderful. Garth didn't care and Garth was able to see them smiles generated only by and for him!

We had an incident of sorts with the press in Evansville, which also made posting this rough.

As far as me being strong...it is in our weakness we receive strength from Him...so I cannot take credit for that, but thank you :)

Paige

majmom
08-30-2001, 03:36 PM
Paige -

maybe I have the stories confused - when Moni reads this perhaps she can shed some light on it,

Kerry

justus
08-30-2001, 11:28 PM
It's ok Kerry. It just would be interesting to know how someone on the "outside" felt. I felt terrible walking past all those people waiting to see him, I just wanted to take them all back there with us!

You know, I've been looking at some of the pics in the Main Forum and it reminds me that in all that time, there is not one pic of me with Garth....well, there's always next time right???;) :p

Paige

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
08-31-2001, 01:16 AM
Paige,

I want to thank you so very much for sharing (you and Adam's) incredibly touching story. Adam's smile is just beautiful :) I can tell,just from that smile, what a special and precious child he is.

(((HUGS))) & God Bless

CC Ajmera

Hawk7lte
08-31-2001, 02:47 AM
Paige;

The "stay strong" in indian language is pronounced sty-you'
(not the way it is spelled)

It's a very SPECIAL statement as it actually means several things; and the full meaning manages to recognize the strength you (and your child) have shown, are showing, and an awareness and recognition that you will most likely continue to show strength in all ways under very difficult circumstances.

It was (I would suspect) his way at the moment of conveying his recognition, support, and admiration of all you are dealing with on an ongoing basis.

It was a verbal hug! A sincere compliment too. It is something special to store in your memory and to hold onto during difficult times and remember, when you think of those words, to realize that Garth looked at you and recognized your inner strength and ability to continue to be that way too. You and Adam deserved it then, and deserve it now.

Hawk

justus
08-31-2001, 08:53 AM
CC: Thank you...Adam has always held so much of my soul, I thank God that he has the ability to share a part of his with others. It is my belief that is why God allowed mistakes to be made and the resulting brain damage...to show others a "reverent innocence".

Hawk: This has been a very rough time for me regarding Adam's health and upcoming surgery(ies), probably why Garth has been on my mind so much. The words just scream at me in my darkest moments. Your words have touched me as well. I am right now getting ready to take Adam to the hospital and decide what we are going to do with his 'non-functional' pump...the tears I have reading your post has now messed up my freshly applied make-up, thank you very much! LOL ;) I treasure very much the time Garth spent with my son...there's a constant "icon"(the puter type:)) in my vision.

Paige

Hawk7lte
08-31-2001, 01:31 PM
Paige

I wanted you to know as much as possible what the phrase means.

In the way I was taught growing up - you don't say goodbye - it is always more of a "until we meet again" phrase that is used. Stay strong - is one of those that is used especially with people that have touched your heart and soul.

It is the exact words/phrase and meaning I used to end a letter I wrote to Garth to thank him for helping some indian children during very difficult times for him. They are words I whisper across the distance at times as kind of a prayer too; sty you'(hard to get the exact pronounciation correct - perhaps better written in English as "sti yu'"), in English - best translation - stay strong.

That he said them to you is a treasure so priceless that I wanted you to know all that is meant by those words. That the phrase comes back to me from you at a time that I needed to think of them too is a blessing for me also. It is a moment of hands reaching out, and being held across the distance and time.

Hold onto that memory and those words - and that Garth said them; I am so pleased that you have them to hold onto now and forever.

Bless you and your child,
Hawk

Vanessa
08-31-2001, 07:01 PM
Thanks Paige for sharing this with us :) It must be very hard.. I hope that everything goes well for you and Alex :)

Vanessa :)

Garthfan92
08-31-2001, 11:24 PM
Thank you for sharing your story with us, Paige. Garth touches so many lives, and all of those stories are very personal. Some are much harder to share than others though. I hope and pray that things get easier for you and Adam. I also hope you'll let us know from time to time how things are going. Just try to remember that there's a reason for everything we go through in life.

Lisa

justus
09-01-2001, 12:06 AM
Lisa~
Thank you, and I always remember that. I went through a bad time when Adam first had his stroke..."how could God let this happen", etc. I have come to the acceptence that God intended this to happen for a reason(s)...it is up to me to grow and learn from it.

I will keep you guys up to date as much as possible. If ya'll are ever wonderin'...feel free to email me, sometimes I am not on for various reasons, right now I happen to be trying to work through all of this and the more people I can conversate with - the better!

Thank you!!!!!!

Paige

fuzzwuzz
09-01-2001, 02:05 AM
Paige. Thank you for struggling to share with us. And now you have us to struggle with you through the tougher part, concern and care for Adam. He is a truly beautiful boy. You both warmed my heart. Could you tell him I talk to Garth all the time too? And that he answers sometimes? But that I bet he talks Adam's ear off!

You both are in my prayers. God bless you and continue to be your strength. Dale

SummerWind
09-02-2001, 02:51 PM
Paige,
Thanks for posting your's and Adam's moment. I love reading everyone's Garth Moments but this one was really special and brought tears to my eyes. I loved the pictures too especially the one with Adam smiling when Garth was singing to him. I am sorry to hear that Adam is still having medical problems. You mentioned divorce, I just hope that you have family support, I know you need it. I will say a prayer for you and Adam. And hope that things will look up. I have been away from PG for quite a while due to an immediate family member fighting a losing battle with cancer. It always gave me piece of mind when people told me they would say a prayer, I hope it can give you some.

God Bless,
Jenny

fuzzwuzz
09-03-2001, 10:16 PM
Someone emailed me that they were stumped by my comment here about Adam's talking to Garth, so maybe I should clarify some if it helps, but I feel a little silly!!

You know those people in your life? who you know so well?that you can almost know what they would say to you in any given situation when they come to mind? I don't think Adam's stroke blocked access to that place in the heart where Garth touches us all. Do you? In fact, sounds like Adam has a true friend for life in his. Like I said, I'll bet Garth talks his ear off! And Adam his! Does that help? Correct me if I am wrong Paige, ok? He's your son, so you would know.

I believe the language of the heart is universal, it transcends words as we understand them.

Thanks again for sharing. I continue to think of you both in my thoughts and prayers. Godbless, Dale

justus
09-03-2001, 10:27 PM
Dale~
It's funny you should mention that, especially in the way you expounded on it.
It has been an incredibly rough week and a worse weekend for me. Adam is so up and down lately (health wise)and I am troubled by the decisions I am forced to make alone. All week, however there have been so many "signs" that I have lost count! Yet my weekend has ended with witnessing an accident where 2 small children were fatally injured and Adam coming home from his vistation having difficulty maintaining adequate oxygen levels. Adam AND I are doing a LOT of talking to Garth these days!!
Most nights Adam can be heard somewhere around 2am yapping (sounds a lot like baby babble) and laughing. If you sneak up on him, you find him face to the wall talking at his favorite Garth poster hanging right next to his bed (at eye level). Given the fact that he laughs hysterically, I KNOW Garth talks back!!
If y'all don't see me for a bit, it is because of what I just mentioned. Feel free to email me anytime.

Paige

Hawk7lte
09-03-2001, 10:30 PM
Fuzz -

That is beautifully said -

each time you say it I understand more and each time the "language of the heart" means more to me too!

Such a wonderful message.

:)
Hawk

StarCrystal
09-08-2001, 10:46 AM
but i was too young to go to his concert when he came to toronto canada when i could go see him. i was only seven. lol but i already liked him.

fuzzwuzz
10-02-2001, 02:23 PM
Paige, While over here at Garth moments I thought about you and Adam. How are things going at this point? Ok I hope. I've been kinda behind on my PG reading.

bowlerchic69
10-08-2001, 12:58 PM
Paige,
I am really glad that you and Adam where able to have the expierence that you did. That is going to be something that you will never forget. I have never had anything like that happen to me, but part of me is glad. You are going through a worse time then I am right now. My mother passed away awhile ago and I ended up having to move into my father's house. My father is not a pleasent person to be around. He tells me that I am nothing but a screw up and I am good for nothing, so I had to move out, because I can't live in that kind of enviornment. It is bad enough that I already have a low self confodense as well as a low self esteem. So every day I listen to Garth's "The Dance" and "The Change", just to remind me that I am not the only one who is having a lot of problems. Just remember things will get better. My prayers go to you. Just Believe.

God Bless,
Samara

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
02-10-2004, 06:16 AM
This one certainly isn't just another Garth moment.

This is what Garth exists for, this is the kind of situation that God created him for. His music goes into places that we think are impermeable, God uses Garth as an instrument to provide healing where nothing else can go.

I thought I knew which one of these 'Spring Training Moments' was the 'most special', if you will, but I was wrong. Of course, each time Garth touches a life, changes a heart, it is special. But not like this.

Paige ~ I was almost afraid to bring this one to the top, simply because I feel completely inadequate to even comment. God Bless Garth for taking the time to bring joy to Adam. God Bless Adam for teaching us ALL so much about life. But, most of all, God Bless YOU for all that you have had to endure. I know that you love Adam and that he brings you joy, but I can't imagine any of it being easy. Thank God that Garth gave you those words to hang on to, they certainly came from HIM! I don't have to tell you to keep hanging on to them!

I hope all is well with you and Adam now, this is such an old thread, I have no idea. Take care, God Bless both of you, and thank you for sharing such a tender story with us!

DeeDee :)

Paula
02-10-2004, 09:59 AM
I hope all is well with you and Adam now, this is such an old thread, I have no idea. I had the pleasure of meeting Paige last year at Fan Fair when she was there with Harriet and JoAnn. Paige stops by at PG on occasion, so maybe bringing this to the top will get her to give us an update on how Adam is doing. I know Harriet and JoAnn keep in touch with (and visit) Paige, so they may come by to update us as well.

Thanks DeeDee for bringing these threads to the top so we can relive the moments from past Spring Trainings. I wish I knew what happened to the posts that were cut off. All I can think of is that they somehow got lost in one of the forum upgrades. I would also like to clean up the old codes...and might just attempt that if I get some time...so they would be easier to read.

Paula

justus
02-10-2004, 10:35 AM
This is what Garth exists for, this is the kind of situation that God created him for. His music goes into places that we think are impermeable, God uses Garth as an instrument to provide healing where nothing else can go.

Wow! I came online this morning to check my banking stuff and my email......when what to my wondering eyes should appear?!?!?!

I remember Adam being in awe of him.....just watching him.....My other kids running around throwing newly autographed baseballs on the field.....

Adam has ups and downs. All of it seems so long ago now. Talking about his medical issues used to be a form of therapy...now it has an opposite affect as I am comfortably floating down the river of denial. The truth of the matter is that he stops breathing between 200-400 times per night. That has a tendancy to affect other functions as well. Those become the day-to-day irritants. His doc says "as long as he starts breathing again"....the only cure is to trach him and put him on a ventilator....Quality is so much more than what I used to think it meant. I am working on planning one final surgery for him this fall. If I can bring myself to do it.

Paula......I know I should come here more often.....was that a hint????? I sometimes find it hard to be so close to something I am so close to (I hope that sounded right...lol) If ya ever want to know....email me or PM me....

DeeDee....You captured what I hoped for, what I have seen for so long....I am so blessed to have Adam...yet Adam would not be who he is without Garth....I believe that through this, Garth knows how much he has done for Adam and many others like him....thank you

ProducerJ
02-10-2004, 02:20 PM
{{{PAIGE}}}}

Good to see you here. I think about you and Adam often!
Joyce

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
02-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Paula ~ You are very welcome! :) If you get the chance to do that, great, if not, that's okay, too, it sounds like a LOT of work to me! :eek:

Paige ~ No, thank YOU! I never imagined, with this thread being as old as it is, that you would show up right away and let us know how you and Adam are doing, thanks so much for getting us up to date!

I don't know what to say, I am in awe of YOU! I've always been such a baby about this kind of stuff. From very young, when I would learn of different kinds of disabilities that make life extremely difficult for children, I was always fearful of God 'blessing' me with a situation like this. I'm almost embarrased to say that I have six healthy children. It's times like these when I realize that I have NOTHING to complain about, even on my worst days. When people hear that I have six kids and that I homeschool them all, they ALWAYS say the same thing 'I don't know how you do it!' Geez. I look at you and your situation and it's like 'Big Deal for ME, I don't know how YOU do it, I think I would buckle and lose it!' I admire you, because I know that God only allows things like this to happen to people who have the maturity, the character, and the strength to make it through and provide a secure, loving home in the face of extreme adversity. You are obviously that kind of person. I don't know that I would be. GOD BLESS YOU!!! And I KNOW that He does!!! He is SO there for you, girl, don't you EVER, EVER forget that, okay? Like Garth told you, just stay strong, and try to look for the JOY in every little situation, that can make all the difference in the world, between despair and peace! If you have to, when things get really tough, you just cry out 'God, show me the JOY in this, help me to see what you want me to see!'

"...yet Adam would not be who he is without Garth..."

Wow. That's an amazing thought, definitely made me stop and think, and also brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks again, Paige, for sharing! I know it's probably not always easy to do, but it has touched hearts, so thank you for doing it!!! :)

DeeDee