PDA

View Full Version : Garth story Du Jour. . .

ProducerJ
08-21-2001, 12:18 AM
Had a brief little Garth encounter today that I thought y'all would get a chuckle out of.

We had Bailie & The Boys in the studio today for our classic country channel. For those who aren't familiar, they are a trio (Kathy, Michael, and Allen) who had radio success in the late 80's / early 90's. (Pre-Garth)

They were telling stories about songs they recorded. Allen told of a time when they were searching for songs for their next record. He invited his neighbor, Tony Arata over to play anything that he thought might work for them. Tony brought two songs.

The first song he played Allen didn't care for. But he told Tony to make him a demo of the second song, he was sure Kathy and Michael would love it.

They didn't love it, and never cut it. The first song, which he passed on, as you've probably guessed by now, was The Dance.

BUT... they were all three quick to point out that the making of a good song is a marriage between the right song for the right singer, and that it was obviously a song meant for Garth.

J.

MT4GB
08-21-2001, 12:24 AM
Boy I would be kicking my self in the behind if I turned down that song! But I am very happy that Garth decided to record the song! I think only Garth can sing the song and make it come to life!

Nancy

Pilgrim
08-21-2001, 02:47 AM
Very funny:D:D *LOL*

I agree with them though. The Dance is not that special.:)

I wonder how many times it actually happen that an artist turn down an offer for something that get big in the end??:o

Brian

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
08-21-2001, 03:53 PM
Great tidbit Joyce :) Thanks!

CC

Wendi5000
08-21-2001, 04:01 PM
I wonder how many times it actually happen that an artist turn down an offer for something that get big in the end??

Kinda like the agent that turned down Elvis? Or the one that said the Beatles weren't good enough?

Or all the millions of agents who have turned down begining singers who went on to be big stars.

I'm sure it happens all the time. What you have to remember is, a song that worked for one person might have flopped for another, just as an artist who got big on one label might have remained obscure on another.

Garthfan92
08-21-2001, 09:39 PM
I can't think of specific songs right now, but I've often heard stories of an artist considering cutting something that became huge for someone else. Most of the time I can't imagine the other artist doing the song! I really believe they ususally end up in the right hands (or vocal cords lol).

Lisa

PJ
08-22-2001, 08:44 AM
Speaking of The Dance - I found the following interesting...

Last time I saw the songwriters at the Bluebird Cafe, Tony Arata explained that when he wrote The Dance he really wasn't writing from experience of having lost anyone close to him and he didn't have any particular reason for writing the song, it just came out. He said it wasn't until years later that the meaning of the song really sunk in after he had experienced losing a loved one. I found it interesting that even the writer of a song can find deep meaning in a song that he maybe didn't realize was there when it was originally written.

fuzzwuzz
08-23-2001, 12:06 AM
It's ok Brian. I didn't 'get it' with The Dance at first either. When I finally did, it was while watching Garth sing it on that most recent Austin City Limits, and I had to turn off the video and just let the tears fall. Just know, pal, when I hear the song, I'll be thinking of you, ok?

CheyenneWindRoper
08-23-2001, 01:37 AM
On a televised interview, I heard Tony Arata say he got the idea (or was inspired?) to write "The Dance" from having watched the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married." I thought that was pretty cool!

Joyce ~ You post the best & certainly most interesting little bits of info! Thanks! :D

:)
Mary Liz

fuzzwuzz
08-23-2001, 01:49 AM
Maty Liz, does that movie have anything to do with Buddy Holly and his song?

Pilgrim
08-23-2001, 03:41 AM
Cool Dale:D:D:D:D

Brian:)

PJ
08-23-2001, 08:50 AM
No Dale, not really. The movie stars a young Nicolas Cage and Kathleen Turner who were high school sweethearts in the 50s.

CheyenneWindRoper
08-23-2001, 11:05 AM
Hi Dale!

As PJ said, the movie is not related to the Buddy Holly song "Peggy Sue" other than the lead characters name. It is a fun movie about a woman who goes to a high school "prom" re-union, passes out and ends up back in time...re-living when she and her husband were kids in high school. I won't say more than that, so as to not ruin the movie for anyone who has not yet seen it. It is a fun show, with a serious underlying theme ~ which of course is the whole gist of the song "The Dance". I think the cast does a wonderful job and there are lots of really funny parts, like when Peggy Sue's Dad buys an Edsel! :D Rent the movie, I know you'll enjoy it!

:)
Mary Liz

Vanessa
08-23-2001, 12:15 PM
That sounds like a :cool: movie Maryliz, thanks for sharing :)

J- thanks for the info too :)

Vanessa :)

Wendi5000
08-24-2001, 07:25 PM
Sounds like an interesting movie to go see :)

Jen19
08-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Hey Joyce thanks for posting your Garth moment of the day...
its always cool to have those little GB moments...

JEN

PS: shake it Lee ..LOL

Lowell Miller
08-25-2001, 01:53 AM
I remember Bailie & The Boys. :) Two of them are married aren't they? Cool info Joyce! :cool:

ProducerJ
08-25-2001, 05:53 PM
JEN -- I cannot get that image of Lee out of my mind! I told my program director about it... told him I wished I was still in TV instead of radio!

Lowell -- yeppers, Kathy Bailie and Michael Bonagura are married. Good memory!

J.