PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Things Up

RightNow
08-19-2001, 01:34 AM
Let me be the first to tell you all that "This Is Garth Brooks, Too!" was released on video tape back years ago. I remember in 1997, I went into Record Town at the Fox Run Mall here in Newington, New Hampshire. Just the usual routine, walk into a store and go directly to the Garth section, do not pass GO, do not collect 200 dollars. Well, I went to the video section and I saw 'This is Garth Brooks' and 'This is Garth Brooks, Too!' right next to each other. Since I was in a rush, I didn't investigate but I did ask myself the question "Why is 'TOO!' on this one when it isn't on the other one. I hadn't returned to Record Town for nearly half a year to find out why. So, there you have it, I could have gotten it and it would probably be worth a lot of money someday if I did. I don't know why it is not for sale anymore, and I don't know why you guys/gals couldn't find it when you were looking. That would be something to ask GARTH!:confused:

jstensig
08-19-2001, 06:27 AM
Man that is depressing.:(

I hope Garth will realease them on DVD soon.:D

Jakob

angelamccann
08-19-2001, 08:06 AM
'This Is Garth Brooks, Too' was *not* released officially in any format according to all the sources I have (http://troyal-garth-brooks.org is pretty reliable and they certainly don't list it). I can only assume your record store either had a promo (and I only know of PAL promos in existence unless anyone here knows different), or it was a bootleg.

If there had been an official release, *someone* on PG would have one, and we'd see it advertised on Ebay from time to time along with other Garth videos. Mary Liz would certainly have it since her collection seems to be bigger than Garth's :)

Angela x

jstensig
08-19-2001, 08:10 AM
I think you could rent it once....

Jakob

angelamccann
08-19-2001, 08:15 AM
If it was ever available in such a format, someone on here would have it. Jakob, maybe your rental place had one of the promo copies available - that's all I can think of...

Angela x

PJ
08-19-2001, 10:43 AM
I agree with Angela. At least in the US (I don't know where RightNow is located) it was never officially released. I was surprised to find the promo copies existed, but it was in the PAL format so would not have done me any good anyway. The seller of that auction even contacted me to ask why the bididng was going so high. He had no idea how hard this is to come by.

RightNow
08-19-2001, 11:29 PM
I didn't mean to say that it was released, what I meant to say was that I saw a video tape right next to the the other one and it said 'This Is Garth Brooks, Too!' maybe it was a promo but as I said before, I never got to investigate. I wish I did and if it was real, then I would be the only one on PG to have one and that would be cool.

G Nigma
08-20-2001, 12:53 AM
interesting.

loreli
08-20-2001, 11:03 AM
It WAS released for video rental, because I rented it years ago. If I were a bad person I should have said I lost it :o. I may have to go do a little search..lol

Lori :D

Vanessa
08-20-2001, 12:06 PM
I remember seeing in Blckbuster's TIGB and TIGB2 for rent.. I don't know if you could buy 'em though.. I'm sure that you could :)

Vanessa :)

Producer
08-20-2001, 12:13 PM
This is Garth Brooks Too, was released to the public by NBC on VHS format. It was a limited release but yes if you search hard enough there are some places that still carry it. All the rental stores were allowed to purhase it.
I hope this helps.

Producer

angelamccann
08-20-2001, 12:34 PM
Well, if we're going to clear this one up it looks as if a little detective work is needed!

Are you ready, Sherlocks/ Perry Masons/ Poirots and all?

1. Anyone registered at a video rental place (and those who work in one), can you ask whether TIGBT is in stock *or* has ever been in stock - do the rental store's records go back far enough to confirm? If you remember renting it, can you check your records with the rental store as to when this happened (if they list titles you've borrowed this could be possible), and make sure it was definitely TIGBT?

2. Anyone want to contact GBM or the video company issuing TIGB as to whether TIGBT was actually released, either officially or as a promo within the US (we already know there was a UK promo)?

3. Are you 100% sure it's TIGBT the concert and not The Video Collection 2 you remember borrowing - can you describe the video case, if you saw it? If you borrowed it, what was the picture/ sound quality like?

At the moment we have some saying they think it was, some (including me) saying they think it wasn't - the problem is we have people going on memory as to where they saw it and *no-one* has yet come forward with concrete evidence. Or even the tape itself!

I would not be surprised if some promos sent to TV stations also found their way to rental stores (if there were some left over for example) - maybe it was a means of seeing whether a sell-through release would work.

We'll get to the bottom of this mystery yet, huh Scoob? :)

Angela x

jstensig
08-20-2001, 12:53 PM
I would not be surprised if some promos sent to TV stations also found their way to rental stores I highly doubt that GB management would send VHS copies to TV stations. The quality is too poor.

Jakob

angelamccann
08-20-2001, 12:58 PM
I did say 'promos' Jakob - that's not a copy off the TV, it's an original! The picture and sound quality would be as a sell-through release - possibly even better (the promo I've seen was excellent).

Sorry Producer - didn't mean to ignore your post but it wasn't there when I started typing mine! It sounds like a promo if it was released by NBC - question still has to be, why doesn't anyone on PG seem to have a copy, and why haven't we seen any offered for sale on Ebay apart from the UK promo last week?

We're all making assumptions based on a small amount of information but with very little to go on, it seems - all the sources I consulted said no official release, but I suppose that doesn't rule out the sale of some copies to rental stores. It would be sooooo nice if someone could come up with an actual tape to scan for us though, or proof that it was out there (e.g. listing on a release catalog)!

Angela x

angelamccann
08-20-2001, 01:04 PM
Just to clarify, VHS copies are sometimes sent for use as promo material - if only a short clip is being broadcast the quality is not such a major issue. The VHS promo I saw was broadcastable quality.

Angela x

jstensig
08-21-2001, 12:59 PM
Thanks for clarifying Angela.:)

Sorry I misunderstood you!

Jakob:)