PDA

View Full Version : New Garth article

Darrell
08-09-2001, 08:25 PM
Garth Brooks to help children enjoy reading
By HENDERSON HILL III
Staff Writer

Thanks to Wilson County teacher Judy Cummings, country superstar Garth Brooks is ready to make reading fun for millions of children.

Brooks will serve as the 2002 honorary chair of Read Across America, a national week of reading activities centered around the birthday of legendary children's author Dr. Seuss.

Brooks first participated in the program back in 1991 before he was an international household name when Cummings asked him to read to her class.

The two got acquainted in 1990: Cummings was a Metro school teacher who worked part time at a local country-western clothing store, and Brooks was just one of hundreds of Nashville's aspiring singers.

Now the country star has been reading to Cummings' classroom for seven years, following her from Metro to her current classroom at Coles Ferry Elementary in Lebanon, with only two absences because of scheduling conflicts. Every year he pulls up in his pickup truck with no entourage ready to read to the children.

''There's nothing better than watching a kid's eyes light up over a good story,'' Brooks said in the August issue of the TEA News, a teachers' union publication.

Reading to Cummings' class has been great preparation for reading to his own children, he added.

''I read to them every night, and it's the highlight of my day,'' Brooks said.

As honorary chairman of the event sponsored by the National Education Association, Brooks will be featured in dozens of radio, television and print public service announcements. He's already asked Cummings to accompany him to New York next month for meetings arranged by NEA with a variety of editors to discuss plans for the event.

For Cummings, a 30-year teaching veteran, the whole scenario is just one more example of the magic of reading.

''I believe you can teach a child anything through a book,'' Cummings said. ''I don't use text books I use real books.''

Henderson Hill III can be reached at 259-8079 or hhill@tennessean.com.

TOP | HOME | LOCAL NEWS
SPORTS | BUSINESS NEWS | OPINION/LETTERS | ENTERTAINMENT
WEATHER | PHOTO GALLERY | OBITUARIES | CELEBRITIES
IN-DEPTH REPORTS | CLASSIFIEDS | EMPLOYMENT
CARS.COM | NEWHOME NETWORK.COM| APARTMENTS.COM

Copyright 2001 The Tennessean
A Gannett Co. Inc. newspaper
Use of this site signifies that you agree to our terms of service (updated 08/01/2001).
Associated Press content is Copyrighted by The Associated Press.

Vanessa
08-09-2001, 09:30 PM
very :cool: article Darrell!! oh to be one of those little kids Garth's gonna read too.. *sigh* :)

Vanessa :)

garthfamily
08-09-2001, 10:42 PM
My daughter's school is going to write to Garth and see if he will come read at her school.:)

Sharon

MT4GB
08-10-2001, 12:53 AM
Garth could read the phone book and make it sound good! Boy maybe I should have not watch Garth on cmt earlier-I am starting to get over heated-I think my fellow female pgers understand what I mean! Good thing I have the fan running to cool me off! hehehe!

Nancy

CheyenneWindRoper
08-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Very nice article Darrell!:) Thanks for putting up here! For once in my life I will be ecstatic to see and read commercials! LOL ;)

Sharon, let us know if your daughters class gets a response!

Nancy ~ ROTFLMAO :D:D:D Yes, I know exactly what you mean!

:)
Mary Liz

nelty
08-10-2001, 01:22 AM
very funny Nancy... but it would be a little boring, no???

cool very cool... thanks for sharing Darrell.... :)

Nelly

MT4GB
08-10-2001, 10:30 AM
Well maybe I could get Garth to read something else to me while I am sitting on his lap!!!!!!! Boy it is a good thing my husband is not reading this or he might make me cancel the internet! hehehe!

Nancy

Hawk7lte
08-10-2001, 11:58 AM
:)

Good for Garth!

Hawk

Jen19
08-10-2001, 12:26 PM
I was excited yestereday reading my newspaper to find that article ..very cool

JEN