PDA

View Full Version : My story: "We Shall Be Free"

Vanessa
07-28-2001, 11:53 AM
Hey ya'll!! :)

I hope that you like it. :) Feedback is welcome :)BTW, AOD means the Angel Of Death.

The reason I asked what this song emant to people is because I was curious and I used what some of ya'll said in this as quotes... I hope Diane, Cheryl, and Lisa don't mind.

“We Shall Be Free”

Disclaimer:Andrew and Garth don’t belong to me, Andrew belongs to CBS. Garth has a cameo appearance in this story.

Ch 1

A woman sat in her car, she had her CD player blasting to Garth Brooks, and she was a huge fan of Garths. She’d never been to a concert or met him but she loved him even more so. Her name was Stephanie and she was 17 years old, a senior. Stephanie went to Oakland High School, in Oklahoma. Her favorite Garth Brooks songs were “The Dance”, “The River”, “We Shall Be Free” and many more.

Stephanie’s thought were of Garth as she saw in her head the images of the song “Ain’t Goin Down (‘Till The Sun Comes Up) and she smiled. She was finally brought back to hearth by the honk from the car behind her; she quickly sped through the intersection. The teenage girl was on her way to her school. School started in 15 minutes- at 7:30am, it was now 7:15, and Stephanie would have to hurry to get there. As she sat in the long line in her car, waiting to get into the school parking lot, she was still blasting Garth Brooks. This time she was listening to “Rodeo”, she couldn’t sing very well but she didn’t care. People gave her weird looks as she sat there in her car singing aloud, Stephanie just smiled back at them and continued on singing. Andrew sat in the back seat of her car, he smiled, and he thought that her singing was pretty good. He knew that this was going to be a hard assignment for him to do, but the AOD knew that he could do it.

Stephanie finally was able to get into the parking lot and park her car; she knew that today was going to be a good day even if the people in her school weren’t nice to her. Stephanie was a very smart girl, but a shy one. She had been on the Honor Roll for 3 years now, hopefully for 4 years. She didn’t have many friends at school, but she had lots of friends at church and that made her happy. Andrew could tell by the way that she acted towards others that she was kind, generous, hard working and determined and she didn’t care about what others thought of her. Stephanie knew that God loved her, and she had a deep and strong faith and love for Him. This made Andrew happy and he smiled. Andrew was going to be Vanessa’s friend and classmate in her Cooperative Work Experience class.

Ch 2

Stephanie entered the classroom, no one else was there, and she put her books down and just sat down and thought to herself. She prayed to Him the Lord’s Prayer and thanked Him for all of the other things that she was blessed to have in her life. After she was done praying, she heard someone enter the room, it was a tall blond hair boy and he was really cute! He had sandy blond hair and deep green eyes and he looked like he was built to play football. Stephanie couldn’t stop gawking over this cute guy! He was wearing jeans and flannel shirt- with the sleeves rolled up and a belt, he also had on tennis shoes.

Andrew walked in the room and smiled at her and said, “Hi, my name’s Andrew and I’m a friend of Mrs. Hamilton (the teacher)” Andrew put his books down and took a seat near Stephanie. Stephanie hoped that Andrew wouldn’t be mean to her like everyone else was in this class, she just hoped that she could make it through the class time without running out and crying. Andrew could see the fear and nervousness in her eyes. He sighed to himself because he knew that this was going to be hard. They talked until the warning bell ran out throughout the school. As the other kids entered the room, the took notice of Andrew and he smiled to them, but they didn’t notice Stephanie at all. She felt small and weak, but yet she felt strong and proud at the same time and she didn’t know why.

The class began and everything was going along just fine and Mrs. Hamilton and the kids began to have discussion about the greatest compliment that someone was ever given. Stephanie raised her hand and said, “The greatest compliment everyone has ever given me is for my parents to tell me that they love me.” she said in a soft voice. A boy in the classroom just laughed at her, Stephanie didn’t feel any emotion; she just sat there quietly in her chair. She looked over at Andrew as he shook his head at what the boy had said to her. ‘People can be mean to each other’ the angel of death thought to himself. Andrew smiled at Stephanie and she returned the gesture.

At the end of the class, the bell rang to go onto the next class, as Stephanie walked out of the classroom, Andrew followed close by. The quiet girl began to walk quickly to her next class and Andrew finally caught up with her. “Hey! I’m really sorry about what happened back there, some people are just so mean, you know?” Andrew said as he walked next to her. They talked about discrimination and race and color and ethnic back rounds of people. Andre walked her to her next class and it appeared that he was in this class too. That made Stephanie very happy, because even though she hardly knew Andrew, she felt like she could trust him.

The class that they were in now was Introduction to Chemistry and Physics; it was a very fin class for Vanessa because she learned a lot. Some of the kids that were in her Cooperative Work Experience class were in this class as well. When Andrew was there, thing were good for the both of them, Stephanie wasn’t called any names or anything like that. But when Andrew wasn’t “there” (he watched form the back of the room in his angelic state) things were pretty bad for Stephanie. She never got picked when they had to do labs, she always worked by herself and she got made fun of because of the way that she ran or talked or acted. Andrew could feel her pain and sadness and he hoped that he could make a difference in this girl’s life.

As Andrew and Stephanie went to and through their last class together, Andrew finally discovered something about this girl, that even through the cruel jokes and names and the feelings of loneliness; she was a strong girl with a lot of faith and hope to make her future bright at this school and change the way that iit’s students view others in the future.

Ch 3

As the weeks went on, Andrew saw more anger towards others just because of their skin color, race, sexual orentation an many other things. Feelings were hurt, property was destroyed and lives were shattered and changed forever just because certain people hated others. All of this hate, made Andrew furious at the way humans treated other humans, it seemed so stupid to him. Both he and Stephanie tried to get people to listen to the message of Garth’s song, “We Shall Be Free” but they wouldn’t listen. They all thought that it was stupid idea.

After trying to get people to listen after several weeks of trying, they were just about to give up hope. They’d tried everything that they could think to get people to stop hating each other, but it didn’t work. The hate just continued on and on and on. Both Stephanie and Andrew if they would ever get people to listen to them and change their minds, it didn’t seem that way at all.

One day at home, while Stephanie was listening to her Garth Brook’s “Double Live” CD, up in her room, there was a knock at the door. She got up and went to the door and found out that it was Andrew, she opened the door and let him in. They talked about the ongoing problem at school and how they could change it. They agreed that they would give it one last try, Andrew talked to the principle and he agreed to have an assembly so that they could try just one more time to help those hatful people.

There were a few people who gathered together to help Andrew and Stephanie, touch hearts and change lives.

The next day at school, after her first class, Andrew met up with Stephanie and he had some great news to tell her, Andrew knew that she would be very excited. Stephanie stood waiting in the hallway, near a water fountain, she smiled as she saw Andrew walking towards her with a big smile upon his face.

“So, what are you so happy about?” she asked the AOD. “Well Stephanie, I talked to the principle and he agreed to have the assembly!!” Andrew said as he hugged her tightly . They shared laughter and smiles over this great news.

They hurried off to their next class together and waited impatiently for the news to be announced.

Ch 4

During the beginning of their next class, they heard an announcement come over the loud speakers “Attention all students and teachers, there is special assembly in the auditoriums right now. If you could please bring your students there, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.”

The students in Andrew’s class cheered because they could get out of class for the assembly, little did they know that it was going to change their lives forever.

After everyone was sitting down in their seats, the principal walked on to the stage and to a microphone. “This assembly is a very important one, I want you all to pay attention very closely. As you know, Stephanie and Andrew, both seniors of this school have tried extremely hard over the past several months to help stop the hate that has been going on in this school. Unfortunately, they haven’t succeeded at all, so Andrew came to me and asked me if he and Stephanie could try one last time to change ya’lls hearts and of course I said yes. So here I give you Stephanie and Andrew.” The principle guestered for them to come up on stage and they did so, some student in the school booed them and others cheered for them.

Andrew and Stephanie went up on stage and talked about the things that they had done to try and stop the hate that was in the school.

Andrew said, “Stephanie, I know you’re a HUGE Garth Brooks, fan so I have a surprise for you and for all of you Garth fans out there.” Andrew said as he hugged Stephanie. “You’ve told me that you’ve always wanted to meet Garth Brooks, so here’s your chance!!” he continued on with enthusiasm in his voice. Andrew then motioned for Garth to come out onto the stage. Stephanie couldn’t speak, she was too shocked to even breath!.

When Garth came out on stage, he was wearing, black Wranglers, a MoBetta shirt, Justin Ropers (his boots) and a black Stetson, he smiled at Stephanie and reached out his hand. Stephanie looked into Garth’s eyes and was captured of how he looked right into her soul.

After Stephanie’s GarthMoment, he said to her and everyone else. “I have a surprise for ya’ll, Andrew’s told me about the hate that goes on in this school and how that he and Stephanie have trued to stop it. I’m here to sing ya’ll a song that talks about having an open mind and heart towards others and many other important issues. The song is called “We Shall Be Free”. So after I’m done singin’ we’re all going to talk about how this song has affected people’s live. These people are people, and this song has changed their life and they’re going to talk about it.” Garth said as he prepared to sing. There also is a video to go along with this song and I’m going to sing it while the video plays.

We Shall Be Free
Written by: Garth Brooks, Stephanie Davis
This ain't comin' from no prophet
Just an ordinary man
When I close my eyes I see
The way this world shall be
When we all walk hand in hand

When the last child cries for a crust of bread
When the last man dies for just words that he said
When there's shelter over the poorest head
We shall be free

When the last thing we notice is the color of skin
And the first thing we look for is the beauty within
When the skies and the oceans are clean again
Then we shall be free

We shall be free
We shall be free
Stand straight, walk proud
'Cause we shall be free
When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
We shall be free

We shall be free
Have a little faith
Hold out
'Cause we shall be free

And when money talks for the very last time
And nobody walks a step behind
When there's only one race and that's mankind
Then we shall be free

We shall be free
We shall be free
Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith, hold out
We shall be free

We shall be free
We shall be free
Stand straight, have a little faith

We shall be free

When Garth finished singing, the whole place was erupting with cheering and appaulse from the crowd. The loudest group was of the Garth fans.

After the noise had died down, Garth smiled and said “Now we’re going to have some story telling time. Is there anyone who would like to share what this song meant to them?” he said with a smile.

A group of crazy women were going nuts at the sound of that question, one lady stood up and Garth noticed it. He asked to come on stage, her name was Leah. She began to talk “It hasn't changed my life, but my way of thinking. It helped me have an open mind and heart, but the fact that someone wrote it to change other people is really cool. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for one of Garth's songs, it wasn't WSBF, but it's because of WSBF, that I have tried to have an open mind and heart.” Leah told this with a big smile and hope in her heart that it would help change the lives of others here today.

Many more people came up and told how this song has changed their lives, Lisa said “I guess what it represents to me is everything Garth stands for. It's his beliefs through and through, and I agree 107%!”

Cheryl explained, “Hearing WSBF in Cheyenne right before I saw Garth the very first time in concert, had such a huge impact on me. I wasn't into Garth or country for that fact prior to 7/22/96 and as I sat in my Sister's living room listening to that song among others of his the day before I would see him live for the first time, I knew that he was a man who could change the world to be one that only visionaries had spoken of and certainly no one in country music that I was aware of.

"When we're free to love anyone we choose,
when this world's big enough for all different views, when we're all free to worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free."

and......

"When there's only one race and that's mankind, then we shall be free."

Then when he sang it in Central Park seeing people of all races and ethnic origins singing those words and crying...for one moment, it seemed possible that those words would be embraced by us all by the very society that says it's not possible...because the way it has always been, is the way it shall be. “

Diane said, “I love what Garth says in that song...and how he tells us to have faith and to hold out and walk proud...and that we shall be free. Garth says "It's for me and for anyone out there that feels a better day is yet to come"...

then he says... "There's Faith, Hope and Love and the greatest of these is love, that's cool".…”

The people in the audience were stunned, they now knew that with a faith, hope and love that they too could change the world and make it a better place for all to live.

Ch 5-CONCLUSION

As the assembly ended and Stephanie walked out to her car, she was met by Andrew. Everyone else had left school earlier that day. Stephanie was just hanging out with Garth for a few hours after the assembly-they had lots of fun and they talked about lots of things. As Stephanie opened her car door, she aw Andrew walking towards her, and she smiled but wondered what her was doing her so late at school.

“Hi Andrew, thanks for helping me with that assembly today and thanks for surprising me with the visit from Garth. I had lots of fin!!” she said as she hugged him. The AOD hugged her back and smiled, he then said. “Stephanie, you and I have to talk.” The girl smiled at him. Andrew started to illuminate and the girl stepped back in fear. “I’m an angel sent by God Stephanie to tell you how proud he is of you for standing up and changing people’s lives forever. He loves you too. You’ve shown them that they don’t have to always hate everything, that life is beautiful and good.” Andrew said as he smiled a compassionate smile at Stephanie. Stephanie was no longer afraid and she was estatic inside about the fact that God was proud of her. Andrew handed her a photo of her and Garth together and when she looked up, Andrew was gone. Stephanie knew that she had done the right thing, she smiled as a dove flew over the night sky.

Vanessa :)

fuzzwuzz
07-29-2001, 12:37 AM
Vanessa, I'm gonna post the same reply here as I did at the Vine when I first read your story. Thanks for sharing it among adults who you obviously consider friends. You may be younger than me but you are in no way 'childish' with your words of wisdom! When we are among friends, we are ALL equal. As our hearts are woven together as one.

OMG Vanessa. Am I glad I took the time to read this. Good job!! I thought I was in church at that assembly! Truly you have shown how Garth's music CAN change hearts if we are truly open to it. We can sing We Shall Be Free till the COWS come home, but until WE do, it's just words whose life changing power is lost on us. Thanks for bringing the message in the music home to us Vanessa, straight to the quick in our hearts where we do need The Change. Each one of us. I'll bet Garth would love to see some assemblies for REAL like you have described. Where the people do more than SING along to his songs but learn and change from them right there on the spot among the people as a congregation. A group effort and exchange of hearts. I've never been to a Garth concert, have you? But I was there for him singing We Shall Be Free in Philly. I wonder if 'Andrew' was hanging around the crowd that day? And what he saw?
And thanks for bringing to our attention the things in life that TRULY matter. LOVE of God, LOVE of parents, LOVE of each other. LOVE of Garth!! Yeah, the greatest of these IS LOVE!!! We best get BACK to it it right?

countyfair_85
07-29-2001, 02:52 PM
Vanessa,
That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever read! :)
Thank-you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful story.

I think you should make a copy of it and send it to GBManagement... I'm sure Garth would love to read something like that from one of his young fans. :D

keep writing...
you do a wonderful job of it!

-Diane

Garthfan92
07-29-2001, 07:14 PM
That story would make Garth proud, Vanessa. I think that was his whole goal with WSBF, to change how people treat each other. I could have used an assembly like that when I was in school! I got teased a lot, and it was for nothing more than being the smallest kid in the class. It would have been nice to have them all listen to that song and see if things could be changed by that and some honest discussion. Thing is, you can put it out there, but can't make people listen. God knows, Garth's done about as much as one person can to make a real difference in this world.

Lisa

NJ4GARTH
07-29-2001, 07:21 PM
Very Nice Vanessa,:)

That was a very good story and you told it so well. I agree with what Diane, Fuzz and Lisa also said.

Thanks for sharing it with us. And you just never know maybe the producers would like to see that as a script for one of their shows. Now how cool would that be?

Vanessa
07-29-2001, 09:43 PM
Dale-

Even thought you and I communicate susing the 'net..you're still a great friend to me!! Thanks for all of the kind words you said to me you always peak the truth..thanks for tell me what I wanted and needed to hear!! I love ya and you're a great friend!! :) :)

NJ-

That' would be GREAT if they used it for one of thier shows..it goes to show you how much Garth inspires just one person to do!! very :cool:!! :)

Lisa-

I know how it feels to be made fun of, some fo this story was true, I did get made fun of at school like in this story, just like Stephanie did.

The class began and everything was going along just fine and Mrs. Hamilton and the kids began to have discussion about the greatest compliment that someone was ever given. Stephanie raised her hand and said, “The greatest compliment everyone has ever given me is for my parents to tell me that they love me.” she said in a soft voice. A boy in the classroom just laughed at her, Stephanie didn’t feel any emotion; she just sat there quietly in her chair.

Diane-

I'm sure that garth would love to read it!! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll send it out on Tuesday. :) Dpes anyone know the mailig addy to GBM?? :)

I know that I can always count on you to help me apprecaite the thongs that I write!! :)

Thanks again for the comments!! :)

Garthfan92
07-29-2001, 10:04 PM
I can relate Vanessa, believe me! School was still better than home for me most of the time though, so I couldn't afford to let it get to me. It was usually encouragement from teachers that kept me going. I was fortunate enough to have some great ones over the years. That and my Garth music was all I needed!

Lisa

Vanessa
07-29-2001, 10:06 PM
Thanks for sharing that Lisa, Isn't it :cool: how teachers and garth inspire and help us so much throyghout life?? :)

Garthfan92
07-29-2001, 10:12 PM
Yes. And come to think of it, wouldn't Garth make a great teacher? He loves kids and really knows how to reach them. I think that would be a good possibility for what he'd be doing if music had never worked out. (As if that's even something we could ever imagine!)

Lisa

babyblue777
07-29-2001, 10:25 PM
OMG!!! I'm in the story!!! Yay!!!!!

I feel important:D and popular:D and I'm in the audience:D and that's as close to a Garth concert as I'm gonna get:(

Oh well!:D Very neat, keep writing, I deleted your e-mail with the list of storys you have written, I didn't mean to, I was getting rid of all this junk mail and went too far. Will you please send me the list again?:)

Vanessa
07-29-2001, 10:31 PM
I'm glad that you enjoyed the story and I'm happy that your happy cause your in it as well!! :)

Sure I'll send you the list again :)

Vanesa :)

Original GB Fan
07-30-2001, 12:31 AM
Hi Vanessa, The address for Garth's management is:

G. B. Managment
1111 17th Ave. S.
Nashville, TN 37212

(615) 329-0166

JoAnne :D

Vanessa
07-30-2001, 12:34 AM
Thanks so much!! I can't wait to send it off!! :) :)

littlebit
07-30-2001, 06:56 PM
Very cool story Vanessa!

:cool: :D

Vanessa
07-30-2001, 10:38 PM
Thanks littlebit!! :) :)

bjmg
08-08-2001, 05:52 PM
Hey Vanessa! I read your story and I loved it! It was great. I especially liked the way it expressed faith and hope. I hope that more people get a chance to read it and I'm sure that Garth would be proud that the message from WSBF is recognized and spread by his fans. I am curious, how long did it take you to come up with the idea for and write the story? And, have you written any other stories? I can tell that by reading your story that you have a talent for writing. Keep it up! Thanks for giving me the chance to read such an inspiring story!

Brad