PDA

View Full Version : Colleens music

jstensig
07-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Is it possible to find any of Garths mums music?? It could be interesting to hear her sing.

Jakob

Pilgrim
07-26-2001, 01:12 PM
I am afraid she is made more popular than she ever was:)

I have never heard any of it, and I have tried to ask in several music stores (like Accord) if they could find something. And they couldn't.

I think she must have been some kind of one hit wonder or so, if she ever had a hit *LOL*

Brian:)

jstensig
07-26-2001, 01:17 PM
I agree - but it could still be interesting to hear her.

Jakob

Teresa Morris
07-26-2001, 04:12 PM
Hi yall...I have searched extensivly myself and have yet to ever come across any music of Colleen's. IF any of you should ever find any, PLEASE email me. This would be a true treasure to my heart.

Thanks for the topic and for thinking of Mama Brooks.

Teresa

Garth_FANtasizer
07-26-2001, 04:42 PM
I too have looked for something by her and came up with nothing.

It would be so cool if Garth would sing some of her songs along with her recording and turn them into duets!

~Ann~

littlebit
07-27-2001, 12:19 AM
Garth singing his mom's music. THAT would be very :cool:

countyfair_85
07-27-2001, 10:59 AM
Garth had a hard time trying to locate a record of his mothers also...but he eventually did...
I have a cassette of her singing one of her songs...it's from a radio show back in like 1994 and they played his mothers song.
A friend sent it to me...and she got it from the radio station.
When I get some spare time...I'll listen and write down the words to it for you.

-Diane

jstensig
07-27-2001, 11:03 AM
That'd be cool Diane.:)

Jakob

Garth_FANtasizer
07-27-2001, 03:31 PM
What a very special, priceless thing to have!

If you had to compare her voice to another singer, who would you say she sounded like?

I would love to hear her sing! Garth speaks so highly of her vocal ability.

~Ann~

Hawk7lte
07-29-2001, 12:45 PM
What would be wonderful to the point of awesome would be if Diane could send a copy of Colleen singing to some computer Wiseman like Jason who could put Colleen's music online for all to hear - especially when the anniversary date is coming around again.

Would be so good to hear her voice again.

And what a present for Garth that would be!

Okay - so I'm hinting - maybe to the point of please, please God, pretty please.

Hawk

countyfair_85
07-29-2001, 01:10 PM
Hawk...
you know what...since you've stressed such a desire to hear Garth's mother sing...
I'll make you a copy of the entire radio show...it takes about 4 cassettes...and I'll send it to you...
just e-mail with your addy at:

countyfair_85@excite.com

-Diane

countyfair_85
07-29-2001, 02:44 PM
Ann...
I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question...:o
But you'll have to tell me who you think she sounded like when you get your copy of the radio show...:)
To me, she had a unique voice...like an angel and you'll see how it touches your heart when you hear her sing.
If she had the opportunity to sing with Garth as he wanted her to...with the new technology now...the sound equipment and all...
My closest guess to a voice that would match hers...would be "Trisha Yearwood" or "LeAnne Rimes".
let me know what you think?

-Diane

countyfair_85
07-29-2001, 06:19 PM
Brian...you'll find this interesting and about the sacrifice of a wonderful woman.

Teresa...If your interested, I'll send you a copy of the radio interview also with Mama Brooks singing...you won't be disappointed...
I know you loved her very much...and it will touch your heart greatly when you hear her beautiful voice...
is your address still the same?

to everyone else,
I'm sorry...right now, I can only make three copies due to limited cassettes...so, I just listened over and over to the tape and wrote down every word from the section of Garth talking about his mother and the dj talking.

Jakob...
this is for you, and anyone interested in the song and part of the radio show telling about Garth and his mom.

Bob Kingsley talking

'The Garth Brooks Special' continues now, I'm Bob Kingsley, and at this point we thought that we would take you back to the very beginning of it all...
The very source of Garths talent and inspiration, it goes back some 40 years ago to an early recordings to a talent lady, named Colleen Carroll ***not sure of the spelling of mama Brooks maiden name.***

Garth talking

"My mom started out on 'KMark' and 'Cardinal' records
back in the early 50's and then '55-'57 recorded out at the Capitol studios, out,(pause) in Hollywood, yes(or I guess)
...That was a big influence of course in my life and what I wanted to do."

Bob Kingsley talking

"Indeed, Colleen Carroll gave up her dream of stardom to become a wife and mother, but she kept music alive in her home with regular Saturday night family talent shows...
where she instilled the joy of performing in all of her children.
Now, Many years ago, Colleen's copies of her early recordings were lost in a fire, but Garth scoured the country and he found a couple of rare Colleen Carroll records.
He was kind enough to send one along so you could hear the very source of his talent.
From 40 years ago, here's Garth's mom.

Garths mom singing
IT ISN'T FAIR

"It isn't fair the way you please me,
then turn around and leave me,
but baby,
I'll keep right on lovin' you.
It isn't fair the way you kiss me,
Then tell me you don't miss me.
but darlin'
I'll keep right on lovin' you.

Bob Kingsley talking

"Even on an old worn record...that pretty voice of Colleen Carroll, Garth Brooks mother, shines through.
That was some of "It isn't Fair" recorded back in the 1950's when she was dreaming about doing, what her son has done.

Diane... (Her voice is so beautiful...there are no words to describe it)

Pilgrim
07-29-2001, 06:31 PM
That is very interesting:cool:

But how sad most of her stuff got lost in a fire:(

I'll just have to try and make another search I guess:o

Thanks for posting this Diane:)

Brian

countyfair_85
07-29-2001, 07:49 PM
Brian
Your Welcome...:)
I'm glad you enjoyed reading about Garth and his mother.
See, what I meant about the sacrifice she made?
I'm sure she never regretted a minute of it!

Maybe I should listen to more of the radio shows and type up some great information about Garth you've probably never heard before...there's sections with his sister talking also and telling some family secrets...also one of her songs...and Ty England talking about Garth...etc...

-Diane

Pilgrim
07-29-2001, 08:01 PM
I see what you mean;):)

I would also love to read some more if you don't mind:D

Brian:)

Vanessa
07-29-2001, 09:48 PM
Thanks for posting that Diane :)

I'm sure that Garth is very happy that he has soemthing with his mom's singing to remember her buy!! very :cool:!! Thanks for shairng!! :)

Vanessa :)

countyfair_85
07-29-2001, 11:07 PM
your welcome Vanessa :)

To everyone else...
now about the tapes of the radio shows...
PJ has contacted me and asked for a copy and she'll make copies for everyone that wants one.
So, when she gets back to me...I'll send her a copy and you can contact her...that way everyone can hear Mama Brooks sing...:)

I want to explain I wasn't trying to be rude when I offered to make a few people a copy of the tapes...
and put a limit to three people...
it's just that I don't have the financial means right now to make everyone a copy...nor that many cassettes! :(
If I could...believe me, I would...
but PJ has offered to take on this big job...:D
thanks PJ very much! Your an angel!

-Diane

Original GB Fan
07-30-2001, 12:24 AM
I would like to be added onto PJ's list for a tape copy, if you don't mind. I will send you a check ahead of time for the tapes and you time. If it is okay with you - just e-mail me your address and what I owe you.

Thanks,
JoAnne :D

Teresa Morris
07-30-2001, 12:27 AM
The continous love and generosity of the people who call themselves fans of Garth never ceases to amaze me or to warm my heart.

I would wholeheartedly love to have and would treasure with all my heart these tapes. I'll GLADLY reimburse whoever can make them, for the tapes, the time and trouble and for shipping!

Colleen is on my mind a lot lately. I've even had my nails painted purple since her birthday. Just a way to remember her I guess.

I recieved a very special gift a few weeks ago. What it represents both honors me and makes me feel so blessed. It's a gold ring, the ring is ^ shaped, like an upside down "V" actually. In the tip of the "^" there are two small stones. One is a vibrant blue, the other a vibrant purple. I was told that they are to remind me of two people I hold so close to my heart, Garth and his Mom. What makes this ring doubly special to me is that it also reminds me of my two daughters, Kayla and Lindsey. Kay's favorite color is blue and Lindsey's is purple. So, in both respects...I carry them all with me...in this ring.

So, yes, Colleen is more on my mind than usual. I've found myself clinging to sunsets lately...searchin the darkening sky for shades of purple. Thank God, I've not been disappointed.

Luv u all...for being YOU...for being special...for taking care of Garth like you all...and for the special ways we all seem to try and take care of each other.

Teresa

jstensig
07-30-2001, 07:34 AM
Thanks Diane. That was very interesting! Keep on listening and writing!:)

PJ is one of the best:)

Jakob

PJ
07-30-2001, 09:00 AM
Thanks Jakob, that was very sweet of you to say! :D

Paula
07-30-2001, 07:47 PM
PJ, add me to your list. Just let me know how much to send.

Paula

countyfair_85
07-30-2001, 11:07 PM
Your welcome Jakob...
I've been posting some of it on topics here and there...
aren't you going to put your name in for a tape from PJ?

Teresa...
Is your address still the same?
I'll send Anns and yours out on Wednesday.
Also, an unbelievable story about my purple and blue rings.
I have four of them...on two necklaces.
I took one necklace to Philly with me.

--Diane

jstensig
07-31-2001, 11:24 AM
Yes I certainly am, but I'll have to wait a bit... Not enough money right now. It's quite expensive to send the packages from USA to Denmark.

Jakob

TBG
07-31-2001, 03:38 PM
PJ, please add me to your list:)

If the number gets to large for making copies, I'd be willing to help.
Just let me know.

MO

Garth_FANtasizer
07-31-2001, 04:14 PM
Diane,

Did you get my email with my new address?

Webtv is sometimes slow sending and receiving mail and I just want to make sure you don't send it to the address you had. I moved this weekend.

~Ann~

wizard2C
07-31-2001, 04:31 PM
Hi!

Just reading about the early recordings. They sound to be quite interesting. It would be a nice idea, I think, for Garth to record one or two of her songs.

Perhaps if we check sources for old 45's.....we all remember what they are? Maybe, someone out there has a copy of Colleen singing.

I'm sure there has to be some sheet music too somewhere. Maybe we can all check different sources and see if any of us can locate something of Colleen's for Garth. What you all think? It kinda would be a surprise for him if we found something out there.

I'm trying to make my way to Nashville this weekend, so if I can I'll try to check out there for sources as well.

Carol
Wizard2C

:D

countyfair_85
07-31-2001, 04:54 PM
Yes Ann, I got your e-mail... :)
that was beautiful...I'll talk to you later about it...
so, watch for my e-mail.

I have yours and PJ's tapes finished already...
I wrapped yours with leftover purple ribbon from Philly...
since all of this is happening because of Garth's mom...and it's almost two years she's been gone...
and almost two years since my mother has been gone.

I'm making other copies right now.

Jakob...I'm going to get more tapes in a few days...
and I'll make you a copy also....:D

-Diane

jstensig
07-31-2001, 05:17 PM
WOW Diane. Thank you! :)

Jakob

Hawk7lte
08-04-2001, 01:45 AM
That's sweet Diane - thanks!

I'd be happy to reinburse for cost of any tapes sent to me - and I'm glad PJ jumped in and is making copies for all that want them. Cool. You guys are swell!

My Email addy is in my profile here.

Thanks again for thinking of me and responding so sweetly.

Hawk

PJ
08-04-2001, 12:10 PM
I received the tapes from Diane and plan to listen to them this weekend. If anyone would also like to hear them, just let me know.

loreli
08-04-2001, 12:42 PM
PJ PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put me on your list too :)

PJ your e-mail thingy doesnt work through here. Could you e-mail me at Lori2859@aol.com THANKS :)

I would also be happy to send a copy to someone who cant get one right now.

I LOVE the idea of Garth and his Mom singing together. I hope someday that will happen :)

Lori

wizard2C
08-04-2001, 11:54 PM
Hi!

Count me in on the tapes too. I was looking around today thru some old 45's but couldn't find any by Colleen. But they did have some neat old songs. Found one by James Taylor which I'm going to send over to Garth in Nashville.

Garth singing with Colleen....would Garth record with Colleen's music? I think Hank Williams Jr kinda did that with his dad. Found also a 45 of Introducing Hank Williams Jr. Neat what you can find. I'm still searching for some of Colleen's music.

Carol
:D :cool:

GRTH FAN
08-08-2001, 03:29 PM
PJ, Can you add one more to the list? I have been looking for a long time too, and would love to hear "ONE OF GOD'S GREAT ANGELS" so please just let me know how much!! My e-mail is on the profile too!
Donna :)

GBShameless
08-08-2001, 04:52 PM
PJ

If it isn't to late, can I be added to the list also, let me know what I need to send along if so.

thanks

Robin :) :)

garthfamily
08-08-2001, 11:22 PM
PJ

Will you add me in too. IF you need help making tapes I have a dual cassette deck

Sharon

gbchick
08-09-2001, 12:14 AM
Hey Diane,
Isn't that tape of Colleen singing from a copy of a radio special I made for you?
Remember my friend is a country DJ and gave it to me?
I was just curious if that is the same one...
now I havent listened to those CDs in a while but I still
have the papers/script that go with and and can check
but I think there is more of Colleen singing...
She sings so beautifully!
I was just wondering...
I'll talk to ya later!
Amber

Crackers
08-09-2001, 12:46 PM
Please add me to your list, too. I sent you a PM, but I don't think you got it. Please let me know what else I need to do, or to send you.

Judy

shmlss4gb
08-09-2001, 01:20 PM
PJ,

I would like a copy of the tape too. :) I'll email you later.

Terri

fuzzwuzz
08-10-2001, 01:27 AM
Amber! You have a script of it? Could you post it here somehow or send me a copy?