PDA

View Full Version : Is Alan Jackson a JERK?

phillyfan77
07-11-2001, 01:35 PM
While in Fan Fair last month, someone (sorry, but I can't remember who) told me a brief story involving Alan Jackson. From what I was told, Alan refused to sign an autograph for a young fan because he had on a Garth Brooks hat! (It might have happened at his Fan Club party, I can't remember all the details.) Can you believe that!

Alan Jackson has been on my Sh*t List for awhile now, most recently for his shoddy performance at Fan Fair last year. (BOO HOO! My record label is gone!) Not that his performances are that exciting anyway...

Jim :)

jstensig
07-11-2001, 03:14 PM
I don't know anything about it... but he does seem to think that he's the only one who plays country the way it should be.

Maybe he's too proud of his music??? I like many of his songs and have a couple of his CD's but he hasn't evolved musically at all. A shame if you ask me.

Jakob

shmlss4gb
07-11-2001, 03:17 PM
I talked to 2 girls that joined his fan club one year and said they never would again. They went to his fan club party during fan fair and he wouldn't sign for anyone or take pictures. Sorry, but shouldn't that be a perk of a fan club membership?? I've never met him personally, so I can only say what they told me.

Lowell Miller
07-11-2001, 05:49 PM
I knew there was a reason why I didn't like him!!! His first cd was OK..after that....zzzzzzzzzzzz. He would really, really really put me to sleep if I seen him in concert. That whole group of boring farts are jealous. ;)

Pilgrim
07-11-2001, 06:47 PM
I like his music:) I have never heard anything about him :o *LOL*
They can't all be as good as Bruce:D:D

Brian

kristen166
07-11-2001, 07:15 PM
I like his music. I don't pay attention to him personally, but I have no reason to hate or dislike him. Even if he has did some things to certain people, they were not to me and I did not see him in the act doing them. I won't judge him over what kind of person he is until I actually see him treat somebody or myself in a "jerky" type way.:)

If he is a jerk, I am very sure he is not the only celebrity that is one. :rolleyes: I am sure there are many that has let the fame and stardom go to their head. :P

But I won't jump on the bandwagon and automatically go along and say he is a jerk because a few people think so. I will wait and see for myself.:)

Lowell Miller
07-11-2001, 09:49 PM
Cool reply Kristen. :cool: If I hear of a star that thinks they are "all that" it really turns me against them. You should always be humble and thankful for what you have.

kristen166
07-11-2001, 10:00 PM
I agree I really dislike it when a star thinks they are all that, or complains about being what they are.:)

Garthfan92
07-11-2001, 10:16 PM
I've heard some not-so-nice things about Alan over the years like that. You can always tell by listening to DJ's and interviewers who've met a lot of artists. The one's they don't like, they won't say much about. The one's they're impressed with, they'll always say how wonderful the artist is in-person and how nice they are. You learn a lot by what they DON'T say about certain people. The bad stuff you tend to hear from the fans that got snubbed!

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
07-12-2001, 01:31 PM
As a brand new fan of Alan's since seeing him at the Srait Fest, it grieves me to see him blasted by those who imply they are fans. Is the guy not human like us? Can't we forgive and forget? Now that "She's Gone Country" maybe he's just a little jealous and wants 'her' all to himself! Lol! Nothing wrong with that!!
Anyway, I feel the love from Alan with his music and I am not one to discard it thoughtlessly now that I've seen the light. I really think it is US who owes THEM, not the other way around. And let's leave the $ out of it. It ain't what the music is all about.

phillyfan77
07-12-2001, 01:53 PM
I do feel that the $ is a part of it, though very very small.

I enjoyed his music, I bought the CDs, I became a Fan Club member, I went to his concerts, and I travelled all the way to Fan Fair to see him perform. Do I have the right to expect any kind of response from him? An autograph, maybe a quick photo at a Meet & Greet or at a Fan Fair FAN CLUB PARTY? The consensus description of Fan Fair is that it is "for the fans." Is this true?

Are we spoiled by the way that Garth goes out of his way to thank us fans for believing in him? Why can't Alan hang out outside the Opry after a show? Is he too big, bigger than Garth? (You don't have to answer that, of course.) I know all the answers to these questions, because I've seen Alan in person, as well as hearing MANY MANY stories from ex-fans. I didn't renew my Fan Club membership, and I refuse to support him in the future. You can chose to just listen to the music, and that is fine. I like to connect with an artist, like I do with Garth, Victoria Shaw, Tyler England, JoDee Messina, Trisha Yearwood, among others. These performers go out of their way to make you feel appreciated. After all, they are people just like us.

Please let me know if I am off-base on this.

Pilgrim
07-12-2001, 06:00 PM
Are we spoiled by the way that Garth goes out of his way to thank us fans for believing in him?
DEFINITELY!!!!

You shouldn't expect more from an artist than concerts and records PERIOD! What else they might do is totally their own idea.
If they don't want to sign anything, fine.:)

That's what I have been expecting from the man from OK, but he prefer to ignore his own promises.

Brian

no1cowgirl
07-12-2001, 06:31 PM
Jim-
I have heard several stories about Alan shunning Garth...and being a complete jerk to many of his fans. Too bad it seems as though he's forgotten who's put him where he is...without those album and concert sales....and people requesting his video's and songs...where the heck would he be?

Maybe we are spoiled? But ya know, Garth's sold over 100 Million albums--and for the past 12 years, ran an amazingly hectic schedual. He's a larger star than Alan (AJ fans would debate that--but if only based by #'s, Garth is bigger--not to mention popularity) But yet, he took and STILL TAKES time out for his fans, and still remembers who put him where he was. Funny how that works.

Krista

phillyfan77
07-12-2001, 06:34 PM
Yeah, you're right Brian. I may be expecting too much from him.
You just see so many other artists that will chat forever with you and show genuine appreciation. I guess since he's so popular that he doesn't have to go that little extra..... :rolleyes:

The article is really pretty good in Country Weekly. He SAYS all the right things anyways.

I'll forgive him eventually, I never hold grudges for long. Most of his music is too good not to listen to. Besides, they play it every half hour here so you don't have a choice. LOL

BTW... Thanks Krista, I was hoping that it wasn't just me! So there AJ! :p

kristen166
07-12-2001, 07:21 PM
It is nice Garth likes to do all that, but I don't expect him to do it for me. I know nobody makes Garth sign autographs, he stops and goes to his fans, but perhaps he feels more that he has to do it. Maybe he just don't want people bad mouthing him and thinking he is a jerk. So he stops, puts on a smile, and signs for hours.:) I am sure he likes doing it sometimes or most of the time, but it wouldn't be right to automatically assume Garth just loves signing autogrpahs for every single person that ever asked him or will ask him to.:) He does deserve a lot of respect and credit for how he treats his fans.

I know a lot of people probally bring Garth like 10 things to sign at one time. I would feel very rude to make him sign a whole bunch of stuff for me, specially if there are many others around wanting things signed or to talk to him.:) He probally gets people sometimes he can't get rid of, people not only wanting him to sign stuff for them but stuff for Cousin Bob, Uncle Bill, Aunt so-and-so, and so forth. :eek: You know what is sad, is when Garth spends all that time like at spring training signing autographs when a lot of them sold their stuff on Ebay. Didn't he like stop signing guitars for people or something at spring training?? I read somewhere he had to stop siging certain items because people were selling them on Ebay. Maybe it was just a rumor.:)

Chris Gaines
07-12-2001, 07:30 PM
Kristen,

he stopped singing Guitars at Spring Training.. yes.. but I've heard he's done it since then ;)

Jason

phillyfan77
07-12-2001, 07:40 PM
I think that Garth is strong enough in his beliefs that if he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't do it. I've seen this first hand on a couple of occasions. When he first arrives, he may say that he doesn't have time for autographs and photos, but he'll stay to say hello to everyone, and leaves it at that. If someone asks, he'll politely decline because it wouldn't be fair to the others. No big deal. Some people try, but he's been doing it long enough to know what's going on.

And he definitely has my respect for the way that he deals with his fans. Sometimes we take it for granted, but he really seems to enjoy his meetings with the fans. I really enjoy staying at a distance during these meetings and watching both Garth and the fans! It's really something to see! :D

Pilgrim
07-12-2001, 08:01 PM
Maybe Alan Jackson is a family man, and that's why he doesn't interfere too much with fans??:):)

Brian

no1cowgirl
07-12-2001, 08:42 PM
Brian-
The world will never know.

Kristen-
I'm not going to say that Garth likes signing autographs--because I am not Garth. I don't know the man personally--I am separated from him in one degree *L*--but otherwise, I have no connection to him, nor do I know what goes on in his head. All I can talk about is what I have observed--23 hours at Fan Fair in 1996 (?), countless hours taken out after shows and appearences, spending hours with a little girl in Cheyenne (which, might I add--he did on a whim and w/out press around)(I watched the video tape of this meeting)...etc.

The only thing I know...is that I've never heard a bad word from people who have met Garth (non-Garth fans included)...and I've heard many many stories about AJ. I don't have much respect for the man.

Krista

babyblue777
07-13-2001, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't be upset that he wouldn't sign an autograph, the man has a right to say no. But if he wouldn't do it because I've got a Garth cap or shirt on, that's crazy! That is what is jerkish, you can't be a fan of only one person. I had no idea that Alan felt that way about Garth until he said at one award show that he was happy that Garth was not nominated. This was at around 95' or 94'. I have seen a pic of Garth with Alan, isn't that funny that he'll say what he wants behind his back, but when he's around, they take pictures together!! Like I said, the guy's human, I've never met him, but if this is true, I wouldn't consider it a big loss if I never did meet him. He's talented, and all do respect to his fans, but that's just what I think. I'm sure if Garth did this to an Alan fan, I would feel the same way towards Garth about being a jerk to fans just because the world doesn't revolve around him.

Pilgrim
07-13-2001, 06:49 AM
I think Garth fans must be too selfish now:o
And Garth is the jerk for over the years spending more time with the fans than the family.

Brian:)

phillyfan77
07-13-2001, 07:27 AM
*sigh* :rolleyes:

no1cowgirl
07-13-2001, 11:16 AM
*sigh*
Jim-
I agree.

loreli
07-13-2001, 11:47 AM
Triple *sigh*

I'm getting used to that statement :p

Lori

Lowell Miller
07-13-2001, 12:43 PM
But not seeing family as much as you would like is part of the sacrifice you make. If you want to be a full time family man....find a different job. I haven't seen my Dad and most of my family since November (Not that I can compare myself at all to these stars).....I'm always on call and never know when I will get a call for something? It's part of the game, and you know it when you go into it...It's very lonely but you do it...because you just have to... You can try your best to have the best of both worlds, but sometimes it doesn't work out. You should always give back to the fans who put you on top....they gave you what you have. They deserve as much attention as you can possibly give. But, I really do think Garth has a wonderful relationship with his girls...it seems he is working hard to have the best of both worlds. :D

Pilgrim
07-13-2001, 01:54 PM
I think there is three "slow" people who doesn't get the point:rolleyes:

Lowell:)

You should always give back to the fans who put you on top....they gave you what you have. They deserve as much attention as you can possibly give.
And concerts and records is not enough?? Are we really THAT greedy so we think the artists should take spend time on their fans beside the time they spend on making albums, preparing concerts, doing promotion etc.????

Look what it brought Garth to do it that way. A ruined marriage.

Atleast it seems like Alan Jackson has more brains and is caring more about his family. (Garth did it too late, not even when his mom passed away could he stay away from anything)
And now Alan gets trashed for it:confused:

It's part of the game, and you know it when you go into it
No it's not. It's part of the game with the press, but definitely not with fans. They like the press SHOULD be satisfied with albums and tours.
Apparently there are many greedy fans around here:rolleyes:
And to think I have been trashed for wanting Garth to finish his tour, sheeesh.

Kristen:)

I know nobody makes Garth sign autographs, he stops and goes to his fans, but perhaps he feels more that he has to do it. Maybe he just don't want people bad mouthing him and thinking he is a jerk.
I think you hit the nail exactly on the head. Greedy fans want him as their own id possible. Tours and albums are not enough for them. they want EVERYTHING, even himself if it was possible:rolleyes:
And now he is "away" indefinitely, and people start whining about Garth moments after less than 2 months if he haven't been in public.

Brian

phillyfan77
07-13-2001, 03:06 PM
I still don't get your point Brian. Sorry.

The reason that AJ is getting trashed here, at least for me, is that last month he was ready to give a young fan an autograph, saw the Garth hat, then totally refused! And you think that is the mark of a good family man, to dash a young kid's hopes?

What does this have to do with Garth? Garth plays the Opry, Alan plays the Opry. Garth stops afterwards to chat with fans, Alan jumps in his tourbus to go to the next city where he won't acknowledge the fans again. What does it hurt to hang around for one more hour? He's already there! His family is not affected in that instance. And why is Alan the "better" family man when he still tours away from home all year?

Sorry bud, I don't think that it's too much to ask to sign an autograph for the fans that support you all year. Call me greedy, or spoiled by Garth, but that's just my opinion. Is Garth the exception, or should he be the rule that the others go by?

Garth1
07-13-2001, 05:43 PM
I think Alan should decide if he wants to meet with fans, sign autographs, ...
He doesn't have to do this if he don't want to. It's a free world, ain't it ??
I agree with Brian 200 % !!!

Paul. :)

Pilgrim
07-13-2001, 06:24 PM
Thank you Paul:D

Jim:)

The reason that AJ is getting trashed here, at least for me, is that last month he was ready to give a young fan an autograph, saw the Garth hat, then totally refused! And you think that is the mark of a good family man, to dash a young kid's hopes?
You heard a RUMOUR! Didn't you?? You didn't actually see it yourself, right??
Now what do you think about rumours about Garth??;)

What does this have to do with Garth? Garth plays the Opry, Alan plays the Opry. Garth stops afterwards to chat with fans, Alan jumps in his tourbus to go to the next city where he won't acknowledge the fans again. What does it hurt to hang around for one more hour? He's already there! His family is not affected in that instance. And why is Alan the "better" family man when he still tours away from home all year?
So what does it hurt NOT to hang around for one more hour???
Look at what it brought Garth. You can't deny the facts. It's either too much time with the fans (ridiculous extra shows combined with spending time with fans after different other stuff) or the subject we are not allowed to talk about that trashed his marriage.
He has no "family" anymore because he probably feel he has to be there for the fans.
And he is right. I am sure people here would get a wee bit peeved with him if he suddenly started concentrating more about what he should do, the music and the family.

Sorry bud, I don't think that it's too much to ask to sign an autograph for the fans that support you all year. Call me greedy, or spoiled by Garth, but that's just my opinion. Is Garth the exception, or should he be the rule that the others go by?
So this is why you are a fan of him???:rolleyes:
You are a fan, not because you like his music, but because you want to collect as many moments as possible?? Is that it??
Why in the world should Garth sign ANYTHING for ANYONE here on PG?????
As far as I am concerned the tributer book was made because we feel like we OWE him and not the other way around!
Apparently I was also wrong there.

So when it all boils down to that I have been trashed many times for saying he should finish his tour, but you guys are no better because you can't live without your moments huuh??

MT4GB
07-13-2001, 07:10 PM
Excuse me but I need to sat something here! I remember Garth being trashed when he decided to take time off after his daughters were born! I thought that was wonderful! I remember when one of Alan Jackson's daughters were born the day after he was at some party to celebrate his "success" instead of being with his wife and new daughter! I know not all men can afford to take a long time off to spend time with his wife and new child but I say good for Garth for doing it! I have been put down myself for the way I have dealt with my husband's illness so in a round about way I know what Garth is going through! Garth is trying his best to deal with his mom's death and being there for his daughters! I have been the one taking care of my husband outside of the dialysis unit at the hospital! I have been told how I am suppose to act and to hold in my feelings for the sake of Gary's family! We should not be bashing each other and Garth! He is trying to do his best just like the rest of us try to our best! People should not judge another person when they have not been in the same situation! I admit I have not seen Garth in concert or have met him but I support and understand his reasons for wanting to be there for his daughters. If you do not respect his rights to do what he wants to do then do not judge him!

smitten
07-13-2001, 07:54 PM
I agree with Brian,

It struck me as I read the Tribute Book, that Garth is not capable of holding a balance between his career or his family.

The old addage - "I think he dost protest too much" holds sway when you hear him saying that he doesn't want his girls to think that he gave up his other love, music, for them. He is punishing himself for the breakdown of his marriage and his family, and this is the greatest sacrifice he can offer up.

Let's face it - great he wants to be with the girls - but he can't be there 24/7 - it isn't possible given that he doesn't live with them, and besides who want someone with them 24/7 - my kids sure don't.

My two cents worth
Even though we dont have pennies here LOL - our smallest currency denomination is 5c LOL

Annette

no1cowgirl
07-13-2001, 10:38 PM
Look at what it brought Garth. You can't deny the facts.

One fact that I can't deny is how well-loved Garth is. And how much his fans appreciate him because HE appreciates US!

-------------

Yes, it is AJ's choice to sign autographs. Every person has the right to make their own choices...but it think it's terrible that he treats his fans like that. The issue with the child sounds like it's NOT just an isolated incident. Other people have stated that they have heard stories about how he has shunned fans and other artists.

Ya know, some people don't even want autographs. I know people who have met Garth who have not asked for an autograph because they just want the honor of meeting him. Nothing more.

I just don't think it's right. If AJ does appreciate where he's come from--he certainly doesn't show it in his actions.

-------

Lowell-
It IS a part of the job. :) I agree with you completely. Being in this entertainment business--there are HUGE sacrifices you make. :( It's hard. But you know what? Acting for you is what music is for me--it consumes you, and it is you...it defines who you are--and it's SO hard to deny that. How can you deny something that's such a big part of you??? Anyways--I just want to let you know I understand.

Krista

loreli
07-13-2001, 11:12 PM
It IS Garths worst tendency to not have any balance :( He has to find it sometime..maybe he's just not ready.

Brian you are right in the respect that Garth DID take away from his family to spend hours signing autographs..all most people are saying is it was HIS CHOICE and its what HE IS..his personality. He has a right to make that choice, as does Alan Jackson. If Alan doesnt want anything to do with his fans he should retire, not tour and not do concerts. That makes sense to me.

Another thing:

"As far as I am concerned the tribute book was made because we feel like we OWE him and not the other way around!
Apparently I was also wrong there."

You were NOT wrong. The book was made because Nelly especially felt we as fans owed Garth something back..for everything hes given, everthing hes sacrificed. Its not much but it was her way of saying..you've touched many lives in a very special way..and we thank you. That's why ALL the left over money is going to his charity. I think you will all be very surprised at how much that will be. DUE to Nelly's negeotiating. This book has a very high price, and I dont mean the price of the book. It wasn't all fun. IT DAMN HARD WORK!! Especially for Nelly. It was made withe BEST INTENTIONS possible. I'll kick anyones butt who tries to say otherwise.

Lori

nelty
07-13-2001, 11:31 PM
Brian :o

I'm offended...

You want to say something about the tribute book, you say it to me.

I never said that we made the book cause we OWED him. We just want to THANK him. There's nothing wrong with thanking someone without having to owe it to them.

Lori,

You are too kind.;) I didn't do much of negotiating, I just add up the numbers.:)

Nelly

Pilgrim
07-14-2001, 06:45 AM
Krista:)

One fact that I can't deny is how well-loved Garth is. And how much his fans appreciate him because HE appreciates US!
He most likely appreciate the fans because he is afraid they would act to him like we see people do in this thread about AJ:) No more no less. I am sure he would be happy if he had the guts to say he would stop signing for the fans because it take up too much time.

Lori:)

Brian you are right in the respect that Garth DID take away from his family to spend hours signing autographs..all most people are saying is it was HIS CHOICE and its what HE IS..his personality. He has a right to make that choice, as does Alan Jackson. If Alan doesnt want anything to do with his fans he should retire, not tour and not do concerts. That makes sense to me.
So it basically boils down to greediness?? If the artist don't want to sign for the fans he should retire. The fans are always right:rolleyes:
Garth fans sure are greedy:o

You were NOT wrong. The book was made because Nelly especially felt we as fans owed Garth something back..for everything hes given, everthing hes sacrificed. Its not much but it was her way of saying..you've touched many lives in a very special way..and we thank you. That's why ALL the left over money is going to his charity. I think you will all be very surprised at how much that will be. DUE to Nelly's negeotiating. This book has a very high price, and I dont mean the price of the book. It wasn't all fun. IT DAMN HARD WORK!! Especially for Nelly. It was made withe BEST INTENTIONS possible. I'll kick anyones butt who tries to say otherwise.
Thank you for proving me right. I HAVE seen on here the tribute book being mentioned because we OWED him.
The book is brilliant, and I am not trashing that in any way AT ALL:D

Nelly:)
No need to be offended:) The book IS DAMN EXCELLENT!! It was not about the book. Just that I have seen here that it has been referred to becayse we owed Garth something.
So I mentioned it because Jim isn't happy with albums and tours, he want everything:o And he seems to think every fan think that way:rolleyes:

Brian

AgainstTheGrain
07-14-2001, 07:21 AM
ok lets not just point fingers at just one artist.. what about the increasing number of country stars who have decided that not spending time with fans is irrelavent nowadays.. i recall when i first got in country learning about fan fair and always remembering MOST OF THE bigger names showing up...and now look...how many big stars are there????? not many... there are a few.. you can tell who really cares about their fans.. hell the biggest country star ever did a 23 hour marathon without goin to the bathroom :cool: im not knocking any particular artists as i would not want anyone knocking anyone i like.. but look at who talks about how they love their fans yet dont do anything about it and look who tries to be at fan fair every year;)

does that make any sense????????

oh btw.. since this is about artists and fans.. someone called me at work and told me how he got to talk to trisha for ten minutes at meet and greet... um.... im now scared and nervous..lol.i was jsut nervous before..lol

loreli
07-14-2001, 09:48 AM
Brian,

I think we've talked about this before :confused: I agree with you that Garth HAS given too much of himself. :p

I think maybe the point is if an artist doesn't take care of his or her fans he wont have them for very long. It IS the fans who buy the music that allows him to do concerts, make more records etc. ;) Not that he should devote his whole LIFE to them. You have to give a little. Be in the MIDDLE, not give everything and not give nothing. ;) That should make sense to most artists dont ya think?

Lori

nelty
07-14-2001, 10:18 AM
Brian,

Thanks YOU... I guess, if the book was not fine, I'll be the first to hear about it. I'm glad you are happy with the book.

The entire idea of the book was to Thank him.

You have to understand that some people do think they DO owe it to Garth for what he had done for them. Directly, Indirectly... physically or mentally...

Nelly

MT4GB
07-14-2001, 11:42 AM
This kind of reminds me of how my in-laws have been acting since they found out about Gary's illness! They have treated the hospital, the doctor, the social worker and the dialysis unit like crap! Instead of blaming them for what happen they should be grateful because these people are helping keep Gary alive! They have been here since day one after making the diagnoses! In a way Brian you remind me of them! Instead of being grateful for what Garth has given us you seem to what to put him down! Please do not blame him or his fans for his family problems instead why do you try to be there for him and give him your support and understanding! I bet if it was the other way around he would not treat you like crap and will try to be there for you! Like I said in a round about way I know what Garth is going through! I know what it is like to be blame for everything and try to be there for everyone that needs you but also having someone use for the scapegoat! Instead of bad mouthing and finger pointing lets try to get along and be there for one another and for Garth!

phillyfan77
07-14-2001, 01:09 PM
Geez Brian, you sure have a way of putting words in our mouths! LOL I don't know where to start!

First of all, the incident with AJ and the young fan has been verified over on the Vine as a FACT by someone that was there. NOT A RUMOR. That's what prompted this thread in the first place. How it turned into Garth bashing only you can answer.

You are a fan, not because you like his music, but because you want to collect as many moments as possible??

Did I say that? One example of twisting our words to suit your obvious distain for Garth. You don't know anything about me or the other fans here on PG.

He most likely appreciate the fans because he is afraid they would act to him like we see people do in this thread about AJ

If you believe that, then, well, it's clear you still don't know what Garth is all about. Another example of putting words in his mouth to "prove" your arguement. LOL Nice try.

We cannot dispute your claims about Garth's touring has affected his family life, that's old news. What that has to do with AJ not signing an autograph for one particular fan is beyond me. He had the pen in his hand ready to sign and didn't. How does not signing that one autograph affect his family life? You always find ways to bring up your old, tired complaints about Garth.

I agree that NO ARTIST HAS TO SIGN AUTOGRAPHS. I AGREE! GOT IT? NO ARTIST HAS TO SIGN AUTOGRAPHS. However, I will continue to be a fan of those artists that go the extra mile to show their appreciation for the fans, like Trisha, Jodee, Garth, Mark Wills, Phil Vassar, and others. That's all I'm saying on this thread. If Garth decided to never appear in public again, that would be his choice and I would be fine with that, as long as he is happy. Bottom line. No autographs, no moments behind the Opry. That would be fine with me. We would still love him for the music and memories that he has provided us with.

Debate that.

(Isn't this fun? LOL)

honky
07-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Hmmmmmm.... I have heard a number of not-so-good comments about him. In fact, someone just told me that Alan didn't even sign autographs at Fan Fair. I thought to myself, "why would he not do it since Fan Fair is supposed to be a fan-celebrity interaction event"... oh well..

Then a couple years ago he made some comments about Garth :( So.. I don't' really give a *s* about his music anyway.... not that he's got very nice stuff... some are ok.. but most of them are quite the same.

That's my take on this case.

Tommy

Pilgrim
07-14-2001, 02:09 PM
Lori

I think maybe the point is if an artist doesn't take care of his or her fans he wont have them for very long. It IS the fans who buy the music that allows him to do concerts, make more records etc. Not that he should devote his whole LIFE to them. You have to give a little. Be in the MIDDLE, not give everything and not give nothing. That should make sense to most artists dont ya think?
Why would an artist take care of the fans?? That is not what it is all about. It is all about the artist being happy with himself and what he is doing. bruce does sign for the fans as well, but definitely not much. And his fans seem to be happy with that.
he still have MANY from back when he started. I don't think many artists could afford to deliberately "ruin/stop" their own success like Bruce did when he didn't want to continue the run he was on after BITU. Instead he released TOL that was totally different from BITu and it got even "worse" when he released "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" that was an "country" album. Fans was chased away, but he didn't care as he was happy with what he was doing.
So NO artist should feel like they have to give autographs in order to stay on the top.

Nelly
Very cool:cool: I totally get what you mean:)

MT4GB
I am not "putting him down". But people on here seem to look at everything in a black and white perspective.
I think it is totally cool to blame him and us for his problems since that is more or less what he has signaled himself by stopping tours. He wouldn't do that unless he felt it was a problem.

Jim,

Geez Brian, you sure have a way of putting words in our mouths! LOL I don't know where to start!
Nope! I just "quote" you;) Or the way you make it sound.

First of all, the incident with AJ and the young fan has been verified over on the Vine as a FACT by someone that was there. NOT A RUMOR. That's what prompted this thread in the first place. How it turned into Garth bashing only you can answer.
Still only a rumor. Unless you saw it for yourself it is second hand info, and thereby a rumor.
Exactly with every things else said here either by you, me or whoever it is who post second hand info.

It turned onto the topic of Garth because there is a HUGE double standard here because if you are not like Garth people seem to think the artist is sh*t or atleast not as good a person.

Did I say that? One example of twisting our words to suit your obvious distain for Garth. You don't know anything about me or the other fans here on PG.
Yup you did. You said Sorry bud, I don't think that it's too much to ask to sign an autograph for the fans that support you all year. which make you sound like a sad little boy if he wouldn't do it:p
And it DEFINITELY put pressure on whatever artist that would be said about.
What is your boss told you to work some extra hours every day because he felt you already got enough money?? I am sure you wouldn't like that.

If you believe that, then, well, it's clear you still don't know what Garth is all about. Another example of putting words in his mouth to "prove" your arguement. LOL Nice try.
Garth is smarter than you may think. He know EXACTLY that many fans would think of him that way if he stopped signing autographs. You forget the whole picture again. PGers may not be angry at him, but then again we are only around 100 (I think) posting people here, and even if it was ALL of us there is still an estimated 10 million fans out there.

Look at how pissed he got when a reporter called the CG album a fiasco. Well the reporter was right. It was a NEW GARTH album which means totally new Garth music, and it sold only 2 million. Compared to the rest of his albums (except the x-mas ones) it was not even a fiasco, but in Garth standards a total fiasco.
Look he lost 8 million fans on that deal.

We cannot dispute your claims about Garth's touring has affected his family life, that's old news. What that has to do with AJ not signing an autograph for one particular fan is beyond me. He had the pen in his hand ready to sign and didn't. How does not signing that one autograph affect his family life? You always find ways to bring up your old, tired complaints about Garth.
Easy enough. AJ was trashed because people heard things. Go to an anti-Garth site on the net and you will get stories about how ugly Garth can be to fans as well.
Now AJ has the guts to stay away from the fans or refuse to sign things, and he get the flak for it.

I agree that NO ARTIST HAS TO SIGN AUTOGRAPHS. I AGREE! GOT IT? NO ARTIST HAS TO SIGN AUTOGRAPHS.
Cool. Finally;)

However, I will continue to be a fan of those artists that go the extra mile to show their appreciation for the fans, like Trisha, Jodee, Garth, Mark Wills, Phil Vassar, and others. That's all I'm saying on this thread.
No problem in that:) You would be dumb if you didn't like an artist who does something extra for the fans. The problem is when the fans expect the artist to do that for tham. That is kinda the problem Garth has now. Oh and AJ it seems.

Bottom line. No autographs, no moments behind the Opry. That would be fine with me. We would still love him for the music and memories that he has provided us with.
Then we agree:D

Now would people here on PG urge him to stop that??? They all say they love him, so it shouldn't really be a problem if we told him not to sign autographs anymore and that he should use the time with his family instead as that is more valuable for him than hanging around with fans.
Somehow I don't think many PGers could live without Garth moments:o

AgainstTheGrain
07-14-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Pilgrim

Why would an artist take care of the fans?? That is not what it is all about. It is all about the artist being happy with himself and what he is doing. bruce does sign for the fans as well, but definitely not much. And his fans seem to be happy with that.
he still have MANY from back when he started. I don't think many artists could afford to deliberately "ruin/stop" their own success like Bruce did when he didn't want to continue the run he was on after BITU. Instead he released TOL that was totally different from BITu and it got even "worse" when he released "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" that was an "country" album. Fans was chased away, but he didn't care as he was happy with what he was doing

-------------------------------

of course his fans are ok with that as not many pop stars actually sign autographs and since that is the norm .. no one questions it

and i have heard some cool janet jackson stories about how if someone is following her tourbus she will pull over and talk to the fans following her :cool:

-------------------------------

Garth is smarter than you may think. He know EXACTLY that many fans would think of him that way if he stopped signing autographs. You forget the whole picture again. PGers may not be angry at him, but then again we are only around 100 (I think) posting people here, and even if it was ALL of us there is still an estimated 10 million fans out there.

-------------------------------------

the fans wouldnt think any different of him i dont think.. when he stopped his fan club because he BLEW UP.. no one probably even gave it a second though.. just know that he does not have to do anything .. and people who says that they love the fans should show it somehow.. ya know .. there are a couple of country stars .. that have never had a meet and greet.. they did a duet and toured together this summer with a few other people ;) well one did but i know he dont sign autographs and just has a Q & A session:rolleyes:

-----------------------------

Look at how pissed he got when a reporter called the CG album a fiasco. Well the reporter was right. It was a NEW GARTH album which means totally new Garth music, and it sold only 2 million. Compared to the rest of his albums (except the x-mas ones) it was not even a fiasco, but in Garth standards a total fiasco.
Look he lost 8 million fans on that deal.

-----------------------------------

i dont think he lost 8 million fans... its just that they still dont get it.. its just that people want to hear things the way they want to him them and since garth was singing non country songs.. they were afraid or something ..lol.. btw... its one of his best cds :)

Brian:) [/B]

no1cowgirl
07-14-2001, 03:54 PM

Don't even touch on that. That's a whole 'nother story. That is completely a business issue, and it has NOTHING to do with what we're talkin about. To understand what's going on there--you have to be highly involved in the music business. There's a lot of different things behind that. There are also different standards when an artist is as big as Garth is. Obviously, you don't understand that.

So NO artist should feel like they have to give autographs in order to stay on the top.

Hey....Brian...guess what! If you and I didn't go out and buy the albums that Garth, Bruce, Alan, etc. have put out--there is NO WAY that they would be who they are today!!!!!!! Therefore, Garth gives back to the fans for what we have given him. With Garth and his fans, it is a give-and-take relationship. And that's the way it should be--and that's the way you earn RESPECT and APPRECIATION from your fans.

You complain about him messing up his family life, but yet you contradict yourself and say that you wish he would "Finish" his European tour. How the heck can Garth be at home with his girls if he's in Europe doing a tour?

BOTTOM LINE:

Garth has a choice to sign autographs. He does. And you CANNOT say that he does it for publicity or whatever because YOU ARE NOT GARTH, and you do not not know what goes on in his head. Neither do I--so I'm not going to say either way.

AJ has a choice to sign autographs. He does, but only when he feels like it...and only when the fan isn't wearing a Garth hat...and when there's other stupid circumstances such as this. What a wonderful guy! Let me applaud him for snubbing his fans who have supported him through spending their HARD-EARNED MONEY on his albums, merchandise, tickets, fan club, etc. Boy, I wanna be like that when I grow up!!!!!

Krista

AgainstTheGrain
07-14-2001, 04:02 PM
i must have missed something ... alan didnt give a kid an autogrpah beacuse he was wearing a garth hat???? um....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i have alot of hats but only wear my gb world tour hat.. does that mean i wont get an autograph either ???????

um.. hello ..... lemme think for a second... garth became huge in 1990 and is pretty much responsible for where country is today in terms of populatiry .. and so for anyone who came out around when he did or after that should be thanking him for their career ;)

also .. i can picture this in my mind.. theres an award show..and alan just won an award and while walking up to accept he passes by garth and pats him on the back.. i cant remember which awards show.. ill have to look ....but why would he have done that?? probably because he knows that gb is responsible for alan being a star..

MAYBE.. alan was having a bad day but thats still no excuse

phillyfan77
07-14-2001, 05:43 PM
Why would an artist take care of the fans?? That is not what it is all about.

Huh? :eek: Says you and who else? Every concert you go to, every commercial you see on TV, every AD you see in Country Weekly, every interview that you hear... it's all about promoting the artist... to make him/her known to you so that you will go out and buy the latest CD. Take Fan Fair for example. I'd guess that 95% of the artists that are there go there to say "I'm gonna perform for you, I'm gonna sign autographs, I'm gonna shake your hand and have a photo taken with you the Fan! Why? So that you will buy the new CD that I have displayed behind me and help support the lifestyle that I have become accustomed to. The mansion and the Lexus. Thank you Mr. Fan for buying my CD!" That is what the music industry is all about! (Unless your a fan of Joe Blow singing his music at the local Folk Festival.) We're talking about the biggest country stars in the World here, and how they got there.

Still only a rumor. Unless you saw it for yourself it is second hand info, and thereby a rumor.

I heard that a few years ago some men travelled to the moon and back, but I wasn't there to see it, so is it still a rumor? :rolleyes: Please, don't insult us like that.

It turned onto the topic of Garth because there is a HUGE double standard here because if you are not like Garth people seem to think the artist is sh*t or atleast not as good a person.

I think AJ is sh*t because of the autograph incident. And you are defending him why?

What is your boss told you to work some extra hours every day because he felt you already got enough money?? I am sure you wouldn't like that.

Okay, let's go here... Let's say you work for XYZ Company. You are great at selling widgets for the Company bringing it millions of dollars. Your boss is rich because of you. You love your job and your boss, but wouldn't you expect your boss to one day say Thanks and show his appreciation by giving you a raise? Or are you supposed to be happy with making your boss rich, that is thanks enough. Your boss doesn't have to thank you for your support by giving you a raise. (Unless you are in a union, but that's another story!) Catch my drift? (I know it's not the best example, but hey, I tried!)

I'm sad how this thread turned out. Sorry to the PGers that are upset at this. It just makes me mad that an artist that just won many fan-voted awards can treat his fans the way that he does. And then there are those that defend him as an excuse to attack Garth. :rolleyes:

Pilgrim
07-14-2001, 06:59 PM
Russ,

i dont think he lost 8 million fans... its just that they still dont get it.. its just that people want to hear things the way they want to him them and since garth was singing non country songs.. they were afraid or something ..lol.. btw... its one of his best cds
He lost 8 million people. Not because they don't get it but because they think it is crap music. Look at how many who have said that. You have heard a lot of people saying that.
Personally I don't understand them as it is a brilliant CD.:D

Krista,

Don't even touch on that. That's a whole 'nother story. That is completely a business issue, and it has NOTHING to do with what we're talkin about. To understand what's going on there--you have to be highly involved in the music business. There's a lot of different things behind that. There are also different standards when an artist is as big as Garth is. Obviously, you don't understand that.
*LMAO* A business issue??:D
Well in a way you are right. MASSIVE promotion, more than he could ask for. And the album totally flopped meassured to Garth standards for new albums.
WOW Boy:eek: He is not the first one that has happened to, and certainly not the last.
It flopped only because the fans didn't like the music, and you know that as well as me.
So you don't have to be highly involved in the music business to understand what happened there.

Hey....Brian...guess what! If you and I didn't go out and buy the albums that Garth, Bruce, Alan, etc. have put out--there is NO WAY that they would be who they are today!!!!!!! Therefore, Garth gives back to the fans for what we have given him. With Garth and his fans, it is a give-and-take relationship. And that's the way it should be--and that's the way you earn RESPECT and APPRECIATION from your fans.
True. But concerts and the albums should be enough to give back to us what we have given them.
Lets not debate the respect issue because obviously Garth doesn't respect his fans enough to keep his mouth shut about projects.

You complain about him messing up his family life, but yet you contradict yourself and say that you wish he would "Finish" his European tour. How the heck can Garth be at home with his girls if he's in Europe doing a tour?
I don't recall that I said in this thread I wanted him to Europe:rolleyes:
But now you mention it. He could have taken the family with him. Other artists have done that without problems.

Garth has a choice to sign autographs. He does. And you CANNOT say that he does it for publicity or whatever because YOU ARE NOT GARTH, and you do not not know what goes on in his head. Neither do I--so I'm not going to say either way.
very very good point;) I didn't mean that he did it for publicity though. I am sorry if you understood it that way.

AJ has a choice to sign autographs. He does, but only when he feels like it...and only when the fan isn't wearing a Garth hat...and when there's other stupid circumstances such as this. What a wonderful guy! Let me applaud him for snubbing his fans who have supported him through spending their HARD-EARNED MONEY on his albums, merchandise, tickets, fan club, etc. Boy, I wanna be like that when I grow up!!!!!
So there is more examples of this Garth hat issue with AJ??? Or was it only this one??

Jim,

Huh? Says you and who else? Every concert you go to, every commercial you see on TV, every AD you see in Country Weekly, every interview that you hear... it's all about promoting the artist... to make him/her known to you so that you will go out and buy the latest CD.
MANY have said that. What I am debating here is NOT the concerts or commercials. The artists need that, but he sure don't need to run out and sign autographs.
It's sad that we the fans have pushed the artist THAT far:( Look at BSB, now one of them is on drugs, and it is most likely because of the immense pressure the fans put on them.

Take Fan Fair for example
That's a country music thing for the "not so big" artists to keep their fans. CM is dying and they have to give it CPR via events like this all the time. Otherwise the fans would go rock or pop.
They already do so what's the big deal anyway??
Obviously this "taking care of fans" is a country thing only. People would run away if they didn't do it.
I am sure if Garth REALLY REALLY loved this signing for the fans he would dop more FF's.

I heard that a few years ago some men travelled to the moon and back, but I wasn't there to see it, so is it still a rumor? Please, don't insult us like that.
So you believe EVERYTHING that is posted here on PG or am I mistaken??

I think AJ is sh*t because of the autograph incident. And you are defending him why?
Someone has to do it. Is that a problem?? *LOL* You make it sound like I am a criminal.

Okay, let's go here... Let's say you work for XYZ Company. You are great at selling widgets for the Company bringing it millions of dollars. Your boss is rich because of you. You love your job and your boss, but wouldn't you expect your boss to one day say Thanks and show his appreciation by giving you a raise? Or are you supposed to be happy with making your boss rich, that is thanks enough. Your boss doesn't have to thank you for your support by giving you a raise. (Unless you are in a union, but that's another story!) Catch my drift? (I know it's not the best example, but hey, I tried!)
We are in unions here in DK. We surely don't lick the ass of the boss. We fight him *LOL*
I would NEVER expect a Danish boss to just give you a raise just for the fun of it or because you have served the firm weell.

I'm sad how this thread turned out. Sorry to the PGers that are upset at this. It just makes me mad that an artist that just won many fan-voted awards can treat his fans the way that he does. And then there are those that defend him as an excuse to attack Garth.
Oh I totally forgot that. Damn those who don't agree 100% in what Garth is doing.:rolleyes:

Brian

Lowell Miller
07-14-2001, 07:15 PM
Thank you Krista :D :D I know you understand. :D

You always give back to the people who put you on top....always. It really pisses me off...because I haven't seen my family and friends in so long...But I made this choice, nobody else make it but me. If I wanted a family life I would have stayed home and got married. I do have a little something to do with entertainment. I do feel like I know a little about it. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------
"And concerts and records is not enough?? Are we really THAT greedy so we think the artists should take spend time on their fans beside the time they spend on making albums, preparing concerts, doing promotion etc.???? " Quote
-----------------------------------------------------------
See I'm looking at this from a different point of view than you. The greedy one would be the artiest to think he wouldn't have to give anything back. Because it's the fans how put them on top...it's the fans give them the fuel they need in order to live...so to speak. And your true fans are always there for you. How can you deny them the saticfaction of a hand shake or a smile.... Filmmakers make movies for the fans....because they want to please them, at least the good ones anyway....And recording starts make music for the fans because they want to please them. Why else do it if you don't want to please your fans. Why should fans be expected to buy records from an artest who doesn't care? You know what? They wouldn't buy it...maybe that's why there is such a huge gap between Alan's fans and Garths? Hmmmmmmm? Maybe?

---------------------------------------------------------
"Look what it brought Garth to do it that way. A ruined marriage." Another Quote. :P
---------------------------------------------------------
You can say that this ruined his marriage....But my god, everybody I see around me is getting divorced. :( And most never lasted as long as Garth. :( It's sad but true...And it is a lot of stress on the marriage. But I really think Sandy understands that this is in Garths heart and soul....I really do. But you can't deny the stress that being a star of this quality would put on a marriage. How many times have you heard stories about the children of stars growning up without knowing their parents? It happens all the time...I don't think that will happen with Garth and his kids. But it is this business....and you know it going into it....you really do.

-------------------------------------------------------
"No it's not. It's part of the game with the press, but definitely not with fans. They like the press SHOULD be satisfied with albums and tours.
Apparently there are many greedy fans around here
And to think I have been trashed for wanting Garth to finish his tour, sheeesh." One more quote......;)
-------------------------------------------------------
Again..I see this from a different point of view....Yes, the fans should be satisfied with what they are given...but they do deserve respect.....I think the artiest should be satisfied with what "they" give back to the fans....and any "star" of quality will give back their heart and soul to the fans who have given them so much. I don't know how that fact can be disputed. I stand firm on this...this is a very touchy subject with me...I've worked hard for what I have...and no, I can't compare it to the stars...but I'm signed to one of the biggest agencies that only a handful of people are signed to...I'm on TV and in magazines. I don't talk about something I've done because I don't feel comfortable doing it.....I'm scared to death somebody will think I'm vain...when I hate that...*lol But I wouldn't have it if I was home with my family and friends....Point Blank...I would not have it. It's a choice I made..and if I ever (God forbid) get famous, and I don't care if that happens or not? I would give and give and give back. And that would be what I would want to do, and that would be the thing to do. Right Krista? *lol

Brian, you gotta love ya though...you fight a good fight.
;)

littlebit
07-14-2001, 07:53 PM
i've lived without plenty of Garth moments. But it doesn't change how i feel about Garth or his music.

i asked him for an autograph the day i was lucky enough to meet him. He told me couldn't, he told me why. i still hope one day to get his autograph. But i aint gonna go to his house and wait at his gate, cos i happen to believe he and his family deserves a right to privacy. i'm not gonna run up on him if i happened to be lucky enough to see him in a resturant.

if he's at the tonite show or a public venue like that, i might try. he knows i didn't give up and i won't ever give up. But i respect him and will not crowd him like i've seen other's do. (besides the fact, that i hold him in awe cos HE IS REAL)

i stopped listening to McCartney, becos he didn't treat his band members in Wings all that great. Not becos of a change in his music or the Beatles breakup, but becos he was not very real to begin with. i saw that with my own eyes. And after that interview on tv recently, "Slim aint changed a bit!"

Jackson and Strait have been on my **** list since they decided they knew what is country and what aint. i remember the look on his and Vince Gills face when they gave Garth an award once. Body language and what's in a person's eyes gave them away. And it was clear they didn't think Garth deserved it as he went up there. Only becos he got there quicker than they did.

Well, if it is true, i'll keep wearing my 4X beaver hat and ya know what Alan?

dude?

don't want YOUR autograph anyway! :p

so go dial www.lostanotherfanduetoattitude.com

and Alan, darlin, sweetheart, if you don't like that then dial 1-800-CHANGE YOURS!

:rolleyes:

Pilgrim
07-14-2001, 08:14 PM
*hehehe* Lowell;) Atleast we can agree to disagree;):p:p

I am used to people not agreeing much with me on here;) It is amazing actually:o

When I visit Bruce sites I see them kinda much more hmmmm realistic I think the word could be:o

phillyfan77
07-14-2001, 08:56 PM
*sigh* :rolleyes:

Lowell, you Da Man! I had doubts that I may be wrong, but we know better! LOL ;)

Brian, we'll also agree to disagree, though I'm not sure we understand what we're disagreeing about. You never directly answer my questions, so I can't debate ya anymore. LOL But that's okay, I guess. I can only bang my head against the wall for so long. :D See ya in another thread!

Lowell Miller
07-14-2001, 09:37 PM
Cool Jim...:D :D

No, Brian I would never get mad because we disagree. :D :D But just think of a Teacher. What if after class that teacher no longer cared about her/his students. Why would she/he? Class is over isn't it? So should she/he no longer care or worry or be concerned about her/his students just because class is over? :D I'm being Politically correct with the he/she. :D ;)

*LOL *HeeHee* Let me get the last word in Brian... ;) :p :p

no1cowgirl
07-14-2001, 10:15 PM
Right Krista? *lol*

Right Lowell! :)

The thing that I know--is that I answer my fan mail from people and I talk to people when they approach me about my music because I appreciate the fact that they support what I'm doing. I appreciate the fact that I know someone else understands or "gets" what I'm doing. and when there's a connection like that, you feel like everything you've done--all the crap you've been through to get where you are--even if you're in a position like me (obviously I'm not that big). You appreciate the fact that they appreciate you...and that's what I see Garth doing and AJ not.

*L* I just plain disagree.

And that's all I've gotta say.

Krista

gbcrazy
07-14-2001, 11:32 PM
Okay sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but then again maybe not since I seemed to dodge alot of hits here.

First off to Jims defense this is not a rumor. I am one ex-fan that AJ refused to sign for. Heres my story:

At Fan FAir 2000 the last year of Arista records we had backstage passes to a meet and greet with Alan. When his show was over we went back and there was about 20 people there. We were the last in line. He signed and took pics with everyone then got to us. There was about 5 of us. He took the paper out of the first persons hand (ME)! and asked me who it was to. I said Terry he looked at my shirt and down the line at the others wearing GB gear and handed me the paper back and said and I quote "Go find GArth for your autograph"

That was it he handed me my book back and he left.

Then at the awards that year I was sitting directly in front of AJ and Denise and during commercials all the fans were hollering for the stars and everyone of them would wave or smile and even stand up and turn around so the ones in back could see them. AJ would not even when the fans were chanting.

So take it as you please but thats the story.

After all this I have had alot of changes in my life and have been in places where AJ is present. Business and personal settings and I have never much cared for him. He is about the same. I had the wonderful honor of being around him one time and he asked me why I seemed to not like him ;) That was my opportunity and when I told him the story I just smiled and told him that maybe if he was more like Garth and cared for his fans as GArth did then maybe he would be as successful.

So with all this said I can guarantee you I didn't send one vote his way for his awards.

Terry

fuzzwuzz
07-15-2001, 12:17 AM
No wonder if Alan gets pissed at Garth fans when he can't even attempt to ever live up to the higher expectations they place on him! Sounds like he knew along he wasn't really wanted. And then we turn around and trash his music! Yikes!

We should be thanking God above as the true giver of the music. ALL of it!!! He's the one who deserves a round of applause, yet no one asks for His autograph! When we put down the singer we place ourselves as at risk by trying to be it's judge.

I'm a new fan who now loves Alan's music for what it really is. GOOD COUNTRY MUSIC!!! True. It may be Garth's 'fault' I'm into Alan now too. But at least I finally learned. Alan gets the credit for that. Not Garth. The music finally won me. And once I'm won, I ain't leavin' any time soon!!

no1cowgirl
07-15-2001, 12:44 AM
Terry-
Thanks a lot for that insight. :) What is your profession (if you don't mind me asking?)

Krista

Yukongirls
07-15-2001, 01:33 AM
Well this is another Garth bashing from Brian. :p

Every opportunity you get right Brian. :p

Anyways speaking of Alan Jackson. When we were in Fort Worth seeing Tyler and the band guys. We where talking to Dave G. and we were talking about other artist. He was saying he new some of the artist before they where big. And that he was almost going to be in Alan Jackson's band but got Garth's call first. He said he was glad he went to Garth because Alan doesn't treat his band very well. He said that when Alan and Denice (sp??)where going threw all that marriage problems and after they started getting better he cut all of his band guys pay so he could make more money. And that cut hurt them finacially.

So that is when we stopped being Alan Jackson fans. (I don't even think we were ever fans really) We wont buy any other AJ album ever.

So AJ doesn't treat his fans good or his own
people. :rolleyes:

Leanne & Michelle

Wendi5000
07-15-2001, 01:41 AM
:eek:

Pilgrim
07-15-2001, 10:25 AM
Cool Jim:D
See you in another thread;)

Lowell
I don't think the teachers should havew anything to do with the students outside school. The parents should take care of that. And of course the teachers when it had to do with school.
They could also be asked for advice if necessary:)

Krista
We also agree to disagree?;)

Terry,
What did AJ say to you after you told him why you didn't like him anymore?? Just curious:)

Dale,
Very cool. Yup it is good country music:D

Leanne & Michelle,
Nope it's not Garth bashing. Why do people on here think it is bashing when someone disagree with what he is doing??
Basically I was just saying he should not spend the time signing for the fans but be with his family so I don't think it is bashing;):p

Lowell Miller
07-15-2001, 02:11 PM
So teachers should not care about their students after that bell rings?...I suppose your right. Why should they care? They put in their time. It's a good thing they don't go that extra mile after school. ;) Just a analogy here...I think? If I had help after school I would have know that. ;) :p

You know? Nothing against Alan Jackson, although he sounds like a crappy person....I just never cared for his music. :eek: www.putthatinyourpipeandsmokeit.com (kidding)--->that's fun Terry. :)

AgainstTheGrain
07-15-2001, 04:53 PM
hi:)

MT4GB
07-15-2001, 09:29 PM
Brian, I do respect your opinion on this subject! We may not agree on everything but we do have the right to state how we feel!
I am trying my best to listen to what the dialysis unit social worker told me-stay away from the in-laws because they are the one with the problems not you! I feel this way about Alan Jackson-I do not like his attitude or his music so I will stay away from him and his cds! I also admit I do not like Tim McGraw or Kenny Chensey-sp? after the horse incident last year! Actually I rather watch a couple of horses in a field then watch Tim or Kenny! Tim and Kenny remind of what comes out of the back end of horses-hehehehe!

fuzzwuzz
07-15-2001, 11:53 PM
The only crap I see is what's being dished out against those who make music I love. There is a difference between stating an opinion and slandering others.

Wendi5000
07-16-2001, 01:16 AM
Slander is saying things that are not true about someone. Libel is publishing things that are not true about someone. Stating opinions about how you feel about someone is neither by definition :p.

Lowell Miller
07-16-2001, 01:19 AM
Hey Russ :)

Pilgrim
07-16-2001, 06:35 AM
That's okay MY4GB:)

I also kinda agree with you on Tim and Kenny;)

no1cowgirl
07-16-2001, 10:53 PM
Wendi-
Someone's been reading up on her Press Law. *L*
You took the words right from my mouth. :)

Krista

fuzzwuzz
07-16-2001, 11:52 PM
When we say things about another's character we also bear the burden of proof. We have a right to speak of the good we see in others and then let the truth speak for itself. Otherwise, the kind thing to do is to forever remain silent lest we also be so 'exposed' by others. We have a choice everytime over slander, gossip, libel, opinion, ...will we let love win, or won't we? Without the love to go with it, 'truth' sucks!!!

Wendi5000
07-17-2001, 12:34 AM
Krista ~ I'm a broadcast journalism major... of course I've been reading up on press law ;)

fuzzwuzz ~ You have every right to think someone else's opinion is crap, but keep in mind that they have just as much right to have their opinion :).

no1cowgirl
07-17-2001, 12:39 AM
Wendi-
Awesome!! :) I'm majoring in Journalism. :) (Newspaper/Magazine). Good luck in Broadcast--it's a hard feild. :) I've thought about going into Broadcast. :)

Krista

fuzzwuzz
07-17-2001, 12:57 AM
If this thread is about journalism I'd like to see some GOOD examples of how it is used for the good of our world please. Or is that too much to expect these days?

Wendi5000
07-17-2001, 01:04 AM
This thread's not about journalism. The thread's about Alan Jackson and his relationship with his fans. So, let's take this discussion elsewhere if we want to continue it, out of respect for those who are trying to stay on topic, ok? :)

My PM & Email is available, or we can use the open forum :).

Pilgrim
07-17-2001, 06:51 AM
Hmm journalism:) Interesting:)

Palle is attending the Danish school of journalism:)
he has never before been so busy in life:eek: Absolutely no time for PG anymore because of homework from when he comes home until he goes to bed:(

I have been thinking about attending the pressphotograph department on the school as I LOVE taking pictures and they are DAMN good there.
They always have photographers among the best:)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
07-17-2001, 08:32 PM
I have decided to take this discussion to email, straight to Alan Jackson himself. Thanks to all here who inspired me. I feel much better about this now. Maybe you all should let him know how you feel too, in private. I think there is a way to mail him from his site.
I've already decided, I'm gonna make sure he knows how great his music is and that I'm sticking around now that I finally see the light about him and his music.

kristen166
07-17-2001, 09:06 PM
I still am Alan's fan. I don't think he is a jerk. I have no proof of him being a jerk that I can truly hold to as the truth. :)

The guy has been in music a very long time, it would seem if he was such an A-hole his career would of fallen a long time ago.:) If he has been treating his fans badly for the amount years he has been in the business they would be gone. Atleast I would assume.:)

Unless I see him treat somebody in an unfair manner or myself in a jerky way then I might change my opinion on him, but until then I still have a lot of respect for him as an artist.:)

no1cowgirl
07-17-2001, 10:52 PM
The guy has been in music a very long time, it would seem if he was such an A-hole his career would of fallen a long time ago. If he has been treating his fans badly for the amount years he has been in the business they would be gone.

Unfortunately the opposite is true. There are other artists in all genres of music who are very very famous, and are very very rude to their fans.

Krista

fuzzwuzz
07-18-2001, 12:08 AM
I did it! I emailed Alan at alanjackson.com at the address under the fanclub page. I told him I feel and see the love in his music and that I don't think he deserves the bashing. Of course, I didn't go into what kind, but I sure feel better now!

And thanks Kristen for making it known you are still a fan. I was beginning to feel the odd one out!

Chris Gaines
07-18-2001, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Wendi5000
Slander is saying things that are not true about someone. Libel is publishing things that are not true about someone. Stating opinions about how you feel about someone is neither by definition :p. well Wendi, that's very very vaige...

Slander and Libel line can be crossed with "opinions" as well.. it really depends on how it's said, and if the person publishing it "knows it's true or not" is also an important aspect of it.

Like say you publish an "opinion" that you know would deflame an artist and you know for a fact that the "opinion" is very false.. then yes.. that is libel.

:)
Jason

Lowell Miller
07-18-2001, 12:26 PM
Me personally if your an Alan fan great...but I believe the people here at PG and their experiences with Alan. I really don't think they would lie. Plus I've never been a fan of his music. But if they guy doesn't like GB, I don't want to listen to his music. Because this is PG...not PA...PG...and that's just how we are going to feel here. ;) We all know how he feels...I've known that for a while. I don't like it...and I don't want to listen to his music. But I don't care if everybody in here loves the man...I won't listen to his stuff. ;)

fuzzwuzz
07-19-2001, 12:24 AM
Lowell, I'm not saying anyone lied about Alan. I'm saying it's not fair to compare him to Garth and majorly trash the guys music or image because he's had some conflicts with Garth fans. Gossip is gossip, whether it is true or false is besides the point. I'm trying to make a bad situation here better without throwing any more fuel on the fire myself. Not an easy thing to do for any of us. I wouldn't want to be responsible for someone else judging Alan's music falsely or negatively because of something I shared about him. Granted, damage was already done, but now it's spread to a whole lot of others when it should have been dealt with between the parties involved. Now everyone seems to be coming up with more bad things to say and now that I am a fan I have decided to not let it affect my love for Alan or his music. In fact, my respect for him has grown with what he has to put up with. I will not let what others say about people take away their right to being given the benefit of the doubt like Garth has asked us to extend to him as well. Everyone deserves another chance. Alan is no exception. Let's not forget the measure we use to dish out to others is the same we will receive for our labors. As Garth fans or Alan fans, we can do better.

fuzzwuzz
07-19-2001, 12:29 AM
On a positive note, here's the response I received from Alan's fanclub. It may be a standard letter but at least I am assured Alan will get my message.

Thank you for your email! I will forward your thoughts along to ALAN. I
know he will appreciate hearing from you.

Alan's current single & video - When Somebody Loves You - are moving up the
charts! Be sure to call and request it and listen for it on your local
radio station! The new single is the title track Alan's new album available
now!

Alan's had a busy spring and summer so far! He just wrapped up touring with
his buddy George Strait. After taking a break, Alan and the Strayhorns will
be back out on the road in mid-July! Make sure you check out Alan's tour
schedule on his website to see if he's coming to a city near you! Remember
to check it often as tour dates are normally confirmed and announced about
4-6 weeks prior to the actual date

Fan Fair 2001 is now behind us but what a week Alan had! Beginning on
Wednesday night, ALANıs supporters spoke loud and clear as they awarded the
him six trophies during the TNN & CMT, Country Weekly Music Awards‹including
Male Artist of the Year, Album of the Year,Video of the Year and with George
Strait - Vocal Event of the Year, Single of the Year and Song of the Year.

The excitement lasted the rest of the week as well: from Thursdayıs Fan Club
party at the historic Ryman Auditorium, to Alanıs being presented with an
Opry Member Award at the Grand Ole Opry Saturday night, and all the way
through his performance during Sundayıs showcase at Adelphia Coliseum.
Alanıs fan club booth, highlighted by memorabilia, music, and even his ı55
T-Bird, was even voted the number one booth by the thousands in attendance.

Don't forget to check out www.alanjackson.com for everything ALAN!

Again, thank you for your support and devotion to ALAN! He appreciates it
more than you'll ever know!

Talk to you soon,
Cindy Hart
Alan Jackson Fan Club
PO Box 121945
Nashville, TN 37212
phone - 615-321-5221
Fax - 615-321-2112
www.alanjackson.com

Lowell Miller
07-19-2001, 01:01 AM
{{{Dale}}} I know you would never say anybody lied. I do understand what you are saying. :D That was sweet, and he should be given the benefit of the doubt. :D :D

Chris Gaines
07-19-2001, 11:28 AM
hmm Dale,

that letter says nothing about what this thread is about.. it looks just like "Advertising for Alan's Album and single" abd Corporate words to make ya feel good about their "Product" and as a corporation always would.. never discuses the issue, ignores it.. and gives ya a speech about something totally irrelivant, so much so ya are happy with the answer cause ya forgot why ya mailed them.

I say we all go dressed up in Garth world tour memorbilia and goto AJ's management, and swing by his home in Nashville too.. I think he'd get a kick outta it :p

Also on the AJ front.. they took that 3.9 Million dollar home off the market last week.

Jason

Pilgrim
07-19-2001, 01:00 PM
I say we all go dressed up in Garth world tour memorbilia and goto AJ's management, and swing by his home in Nashville too.. I think he'd get a kick outta it
You know me:) I'm in:D

Brian;)

no1cowgirl
07-19-2001, 01:10 PM
that letter says nothing about what this thread is about.. it looks just like "Advertising for Alan's Album and single" abd Corporate words to make ya feel good about their "Product" and as a corporation always would.. never discuses the issue, ignores it.. and gives ya a speech about something totally irrelivant, so much so ya are happy with the answer cause ya forgot why ya mailed them.

My thoughts exactly, Jason. The whole song-and-dance. I'm pretty sure it's an automated response, also...considering that Alan probably gets thousands of emails from around the world everyday.

fuzzwuzz-
I don't see Alan's music here being attacked as much as his character. I know there was one comment made about his music, but the rest is the way he chooses to treat his fans. I understand that the man is human and that everyone makes un-smart choices and stuff, but he's blatantly treating his fans rudely. That makes me mad. You just don't turn your back on the people who got you where you are today. Put yourself in the shoes of the person who was shunned by Alan. If you went to meet Alan, and I can tell you're a huge fan :) (there's absolutely nothing wrong with loving his music because that's your opinion)--and you had a Garth shirt on. How would you feel if Alan snubbed you like that? :o I know I would be upset, mad, angry, and confused. That's just me, though.

Krista

kristen166
07-19-2001, 02:07 PM
I have seen bad things posted about Garth. I have seen post where people complain about him. I could easily read all them and assume that they are right and Garth is whatever is they are saying he is.:) But I don't because I really don't know personally. I wasn't there to get the whole story and my perspective on things. I am not saying any of you are lying, Alan could be rude to his fans, but really I do not know if he is or isn't. Another thing is my judgement may be totally different from yalls. My thoughts on what is rude and what isn't may vary.:) I don't think because he might not sign autographs makes him out to be a very bad guy. Nobody never twisted my arm and made me go buy his music, I did it because I like it and enjoy listening to it. So I don't see where he is obligated to give every single one of his fans a autograph or whatver. The reason why he made it as a singer was because of his music, not because of his autographing capabilities.:)

As for the other stuff, I am not going to pay much attention to it because the only way for me to know somebody and how they are personally is to be around them, not listen to what other people say about them.:)

no1cowgirl
07-19-2001, 03:54 PM
So I don't see where he is obligated to give every single one of his fans a autograph or whatver.

I understand what you mean...but I also disagree. It wasn't that Alan decided "okay, this is the last autograph...no more after so-and-so person in line". It was the fact that he was, in my opinion, very rude, childish, and unprofessional, and said "I'm not going to sign this because you are a Garth fan". I cannot see how anyone could justify that to be alright. No one can argue that that wasn't a discriminatory act. Although much less severe than racial discrimination or sexual, it still was...and I just can't see how he could do that to a FAN of his.

Krista

Garth1
07-19-2001, 04:04 PM
I just put on a cd from Alan and guess what ...
He may be a jerk, but I don't care. His music doesn't sound worse to me now. I still think he's a great artist !

Paul. :)

XIXMaverickXIX
07-19-2001, 04:56 PM
OK, well I'll throw in my two cents.
In my experiances there are 3 basic types of artists.
1)The type that LIVE and THRIVE on attention on and off the stage.(IE Garth) THey love getting the attention, and when they do without it its kind alike a hunger from what I have seen. They need the adrenaline rush of being out there.
2)The type that will get up and preform, but want to lead their own lives. OK so you say, well they have a special talent and I went out and bought all the stuff and signed up and this and that. Well 2 things. First, is there a written garuntee that you get an autograph and picture if you join the fan club? I don't really think there is. Second, and most important of all, haven't these guys already given you something? If the music didnt touch you wouldn't have bough it, and if you onloy bought one cd and quite cause you didn't like it and THEN complain, you should just shut your mouth cause obviously no matter WHAT the guy does you won't like it. But seriously, he is under NO obligation to go out of his way to make you feel special when he has already given a piece of himslef to you. SO grow up.
3) These are the get in and get outs. They come in get a few hits and realize they don't like the publicity and get out, rather than hang around and get blasted by people for not spending every waking moment of their time trying to please the world. In my opinion the smart types, they can lead a nice quite life without being cheered or booed and can walk down the street without getting mobbed. Now would you want to lead a life otherwise??? I thought so.

Wendi5000
07-19-2001, 05:15 PM
The bottom line is, you can't make someone else like or not like a singer. If I saw a singer doing something I thought was unprofessional, I might lose respect for them. But just reading things that other people say that singer did is not going to change my mind about him until I see it for myself. At the same time, if someone else has lost respect for a singer because of something they saw the singer do, I am not going to try to tell them they are wrong for what they think. Seems to me it is a personal preference as to who you like/don't like, right you guys? :D

kristen166
07-19-2001, 05:18 PM
Well like I said I wasn't there to see what happened. So I am not going to judge him over that.:)

I don't know what the big deal is over this. If you think AJ is a jerk fine, if others don't want to that should be ok. I am not going to discuss this anymore because I have other better things to do.:) If the guy is a jerk, shame on him, I don't care if he is or not. I am just saying I am not going to judge what he is unless I see him personally or something. If you saw him, good, you have your proof, you know what he is. You don't have to buy his albums or anything or go to his shows.:) I am not saying anybody is lying, I am just not agreeing or disagreeing. I am simply stating that I will respect him as an artist until I personally feel he is not worth anything.:)

Like him or hate him, it's your choice. It is not that big of a deal really.:)

gbcrazy
07-19-2001, 11:09 PM
First off let me clear the air on a few things about my post.

1st off- I won tickets backstage for a meet and greet there were about 20 people in line. We were the last 5 in line. Alan signed for every person till he got to us. He did not say guys sorry I just don't have time I have to run, thanks for coming out. No he didn't He took the book out of my hand and had the pen to the paper then looked at me asked me who it was to and then "VERY CLEARLY" looked at my shirt then down at my friends and handed the paper back and said "GO Find GArth for your autograph"???????????????? Not that I wouldn't mind Garths autograph but I was really wanting to get alans autograph. Considering I was a big Fan and liked him also.

2nd off- Yes I was very upset but later when I became friends with some people and got to see the inside of the business I gave alan the benefit of the doubt. Okay maybe he was having a bad day, I wrote it off. But then when I met him a some business settings, he wouldn't even aknowledge some fans who seen him as he walked in. Then when I seen him at the wedding He asked me and I told him about the day. He said he felt it was very rude and disrespectful for someone to wear another artist t-shirt to thier concert????????????????????? Okay well my response to that was I didn't ask to come back there I won it. Second I was at FAN FAIR for goodness sakes HELLO!!!!!!!!!

Now with all that being said let me say this. I really like Denise she is a wonderful lady. I give her all my respect. I do not respect anyone who is in the position ALan is in who does not respect his fans. Regardless of what they are wearing. He would not be in the position to do this if not for all of "US" who has bought his CD's.

I am not saying anything regarding his Music. He does great. I just personally will not contribute anymore to his bank account if he cannot respect his FAns.

On his behalf I will say, I have met alot of people who are Alan Fans and who really like him and have met him. Kudoos to them. I hope they have the time of thier life.

As far as I am concerned I have alot of things I have heard and that I know that also taints my opinion of Alan that I will not share because I don't feel its appropriate. So my opinion is my opinion and I have not asked anyone to stop being a Alan Fan because of what happened to me.

Terry:)

fuzzwuzz
07-19-2001, 11:12 PM
Kristen, liking or loving others IS a big deal! Yet everyone seems to think it has nothing to do with the music!!

And Jason, this thread is about calling Alan Jackson a jerk. Does anyone wanna see how fast you would yank a new topic entitled Garth Brooks is a jerk?

And Krista, if all those 'fans' who went to see Alan were wearing Garth shirts why would they do that to Alan? I think it goes both ways.

Maverick, I think there are also three kinds of fans.

1. The faithful and true. They are happy with whatever they get or don't get

2. The unfaithful. When the going gets tough, "goodbye, it was nice listening for awhile. Besides, I never really cared for ya anyway"

3. "once a Garth fan ONLY a Garth fan. So watch your step or I'm taking all my friends with me!"

Or how about this topic Jason? Garth Brooks fans are jerks?!?

You know I wouldn't do that, but what if it was true?! And who says it ain't?

I am on topic when I say "Alan Jackson is NOT a jerk." I could start another thread if you have any more problems with that. But I would rather be allowed to treat the guy nice around Garth fans. But it would seem many here don't want to even consider that because of something in the past.
This topic is very clearly about us thinking we have the right to judge others by what others say. Somewhere along the way I hope this changes for the better. That something good can come out of all our anger.

Lowell Miller
07-20-2001, 01:54 AM
Fuzz I don't think anybody is angry. :D But you do understand Garth is a hero to most people here. Garth is going to get more support than Alan. For Alan to supposedly refuse a autograph because somebody is wearing a Garth shirt(or hat)...or any other shirt.... Well, that's just mean.. Not as a star as a person that's mean. I've been to a lot of concerts and tee shirts form other artists are the norm. And yes your a Alan fan and that is great. But the response here is really to be expected sweetheart. :D I don't think anybody here wants you to lose somebody you look up to. Me? If I looked up to Alan I would avoid this thread. And just keep the music...because that is what's important. But you feel you need to defend him..and that's great too. :) But people here are going to support Garth and if they feel he has been slammed by Alan...well, the responses have been civil considering what they could have been. :p I don't think this is a matter of fans wanting to much from an artiest...It's a matter of fans getting the respect they deserve from an artiest. And I'm not even thinking about Alan anymore I'm just thinking in general. I'm not a big fan but maybe these things happened during a bad period in his life. I would hope that's not the way he really is...if he is like that at all. Maybe we should respect a fellow PGer and slow down on this topic a bit....But who am I to tell you guys what to do. :p

MT4GB
07-20-2001, 12:05 PM
Once again I am going to put my two cents in! This in a round about way reminds me of the first time I met my husband's doctor! The doctor was acting like a major pain in the butt and I really did not like his attitude one bit! But after a while I got to know him and the rest of the dialysis unit team and how much they care for Gary and I-they treat me with respect, understanding and support just like they do with Gary. Maybe this is how I feel about Alan Jackson! I admit that right now my only favorite male country artist is Garth! I have not met Alan or seen him in concert! Maybe he was having a bad day-just like Gary's doctor may have been having a bad day! Or maybe someone said to Alan-why are you not a big star like Garth! I know that Alan was going through a hard time because of his marriage problems! I do respect my fellow garthnutts who do like Alan or any other male country artist! I do not understand why people should not have the choice of liking Garth and Alan. Why do certain people only have to like certain music or artists? Okay that is my opinion!
Nancy

Chris Gaines
07-20-2001, 12:16 PM
Nancy..

"Bad Days" don't last years. And Alan has done this over the years.. not just once or twice.

As for his marriage problems, I never heard any. But even so, that don't mean you disrespect your fans.

Jason

no1cowgirl
07-20-2001, 03:33 PM
*L* Oh, Jason....you musta missed those months in "Country Music News 101". Alan went through a lot of marriage crap...and almost got a divorce. It was a HUGE thing. Back in 1999, I think. Him and Denise finally got back together, though.

Krista

Wendi5000
07-21-2001, 01:45 AM
Yep, this makes us look real mature;). We're arguing over whether or not other people should like/respect an artist:eek:. Uhm, isn't it a personal decision:confused:? If you have your reasons to respect him, then so be it, and if you have your reasons for not, then so be it as well:).

wmcinnis
07-21-2001, 08:53 AM
You know when I saw this post, I just had to read about it, just for the fact that one of my closest friends is a huge Alan Jackson fan. And as for me, I have every C.D. of Alan's because I think he has a very unique country voice and I'm never been dissappointed with his music:) However, I've always been curious about his personality. What I've seen of him on T.V. and articles etc..he always seemed to me like kind of shy or withdrawn, not a big people person. Not a great personality trait to have in this business but I didn't think too much of it. I will say though after reading this post it has tainted my thoughts of him somewhat. I would have been devestated, if I'd of been in Terry's shoes:eek: When Alan responded to Terry saying that it was rude to wear another artists shirt to his concert, well, I really don't think he would have declined the autograph to someone wearing a George Strait shirt, or George Jones or Merle Haggard or Hank Williams shirt. I think you get my point:rolleyes:
Anyway I told my friend about this post and she was shocked, then stated, "You know the more I read about Garth, I think I'm getting to like him better anyway":)
These artists, and I'm not just talking about Alan here have to remember that the fans are what matters alot in this business and some fans just want the music and others need to know the artist behind the music to be a fan.:)
I know myself that I've always been a fan of Garth's music but he's allowed me to be a bigger fan by getting to know the person behind the music also:)
-Susan-

Cheryl
07-21-2001, 01:28 PM
I know myself that I've always been a fan of Garth's music but he's allowed me to be a bigger fan by getting to know the person behind the music also

Exactly my thoughts too. I love Garth's music, but I am a bigger fan of HIM. The music brought me here, the man himself is why I stayed. The are other artist who's music I like, but it ends there. Garth is quite special, indeed.

As for AJ....well, let's just say he wont ever find me in anybody else's T-shirt, hat, whatever, standing in HIS line. LOL...

fuzzwuzz
07-22-2001, 02:10 AM
I think Garth would want us to love Alan as a person just like you or I, by extending him the benefit of the doubt we all hope others would give us even when we don't deserve it.

I see the love in Alan's eyes when he sings. I feel it in his songs. Now, to feel it here among fans of both him and Garth would be grand. Maybe I expect too much, but I do think it is what Garth would want. Garth likes EVERYBODY. Yet, his fans make exceptions? I don't get that! I'm sorry!! Call immature!!!

Wendi5000
07-22-2001, 12:22 PM
Kristen and I both stated that we don't agree or disagree with this thread. We can see both sides of it, and without an personal experience or real interest in Alan Jackson, we don't agree with either "side".

Kristen already left the thread because her words were taken out of context and used for the purpose of continuing this silly argument.

I am now leaving this thread as well, because my words have been taken out of context and used for the purpose of continuing this silly argument.

I said I neither agree nor disagree with either side, so I see no reason to be flamed. I also see no reason for anyone to attack or flame anyone else. It's a difference of opinion, key word being opinion.

Personally, I feel this has gone on quite long enough and wish that the moderators would take a look at it. Either way, I'm done here.

No hard feelings, I'll catch you all in another thread :).

Darrell
08-05-2001, 12:43 AM
I have to agree with one of the posts above that he does seem standoffish. I remember all the stories of the marriage problems. I think he was seeing a back up singer of his or something like that..