PDA

View Full Version : Question about lyrics to Night Rider's Lament

DixieChick4GB
05-01-2001, 01:14 PM
What do these lyrics mean?

"Why do they rope (ride) for short pay?" Does that mean they don't get paid much?

"I read up the last of my letter, and I tore off the stamp for Black Jim." Is Black Jim a person who collects stamps?:) :D

Thank you from someone who obviously is not a cowgirl.:D

Elaine

boppityboo
05-01-2001, 01:41 PM
Hey Elaine, I ain't no cowgirl either, but I would venture to say that your interpretations are correct. :) Good job. :)

Ellie :)

Chris Gaines
05-01-2001, 04:42 PM
Cowboys don't get paid what they are "worth" that is why they ride for short pay.

Black Jim is an expression known basically like someone "poor." He torn the stamp off for black Jim so that Jim could use the stamp later to mail something else out using that same stamp.

Hope that helps :)

Jason

jstensig
05-01-2001, 05:26 PM
I just recieved this in my e-mail. It's from a man called John Katzel. He has not yet registered at PG, but asked me to post this:

"Short pay in any situation means you won't get paid until the work is done. The cowboys drove the herd for weeks and months, but they didn't get paid until the cattle were sold. Hence, until the work was done. This was why the "cowtowns" of Dodge City and Abilene and such were so rip-roarin' wild. The cowboys suddenly had a lot of money and there were plenty of cardsharps and loose women to relieve them of it."

Jakob... and John Katzel:)

Chris Gaines
05-01-2001, 05:30 PM
Thanks Jakob (and John)..

John ya should register :)

Jason

jstensig
05-01-2001, 05:44 PM
Yes, I just old him via e-mail as well:)

Jakob

DixieChick4GB
05-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Hey, thanks Ellie, Jason, Jakob and John. You are veritable fountains of information and I appreciate it.

John, you sound like a guy who needs to register. We need you!:D

Elaine