PDA

View Full Version : Chris LeDoux tells USA Today about Garth's offer....

Cheryl
04-24-2001, 05:27 PM
I know this is old news that we all already know, but it was in the Tennessean today, so I figured I'd pass it along again. :)

www.tennessean.com

Garth offered part of his liver to LeDoux

Country cowboy singer Chris LeDoux tells USA Today that Garth Brooks offered part of his liver after LeDoux learned he'd need a new liver.

Garth called Chris after a potentially fatal diagnosis of primary sclerosing cholangitis, which, among other things, destroys the liver.

Garth's liver eventually was ruled out because it is too small. Medical folks found a donor liver shortly thereafter.

Garth asked Chris to keep his offer quiet, but LeDoux clearly didn't.

''I just think the world needs know what kind of guy Garth Brooks really is.''

Garth's only comment in the story: ''It's good for all of us that Chris is back.''

kristen166
04-24-2001, 05:46 PM
That is neat.

How do they measure the size of somebody's liver.

I figure Garth would have a big one, he is a big kinda person. Or atleast average size liver. :)

hugeGBnutt
04-24-2001, 05:57 PM
very very cool of Mr.G!:D

p.s. ya i thought the same thing as kristen166 *shrug* apparently not:rolleyes:

-Ari-

Vanessa
04-24-2001, 06:10 PM
Thanks for sharing! :) Very :cool: :)

Vanessa :)

Irelandlive
04-24-2001, 06:18 PM
Cheryl :)

As a new fan of Chris thanks for sharing this news item. It sure says a lot about him(Chris) for Garth to have made such an offer.

Jacqui :)

Cheryl
04-24-2001, 06:54 PM
Here is the actual article from http://www.usatoday.com/life/2001-04-23-garth-brooks.htm that the Tennessean quoted from:

04/23/2001 - Updated 07:48 AM ET

Brooks offered a part of himself

By Brian Mansfield, Special for USA TODAY

Garth Brooks has always had a reputation as a guy who'd do anything for a friend. Nobody knows that better than Chris LeDoux.

Last fall, when LeDoux needed a new liver, Brooks offered part of his own.

"I was blown away," says LeDoux, 52, who was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis last summer. "I wouldn't do that for a friend. I'd pray for them, but, holy cow, for him to offer a piece of himself like that. Even if he wasn't able to do it, for him to go through everything he went through just to do this, wow, I'm amazed."

It wasn't the first time Brooks had offered his fellow country singer assistance. A former rodeo champion, LeDoux had made several independent albums when Brooks name-checked him on an early single. Capitol Records soon signed LeDoux, and Brooks backed him on the 1992 hit Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy. When Brooks learned of his friend's condition in late September, he called LeDoux's manager, T.K. Kimbrell.

"He said, 'I'm your man. I want to give Chris part of my liver,' " Kimbrell recalls. "I tried every way in the world to talk him out of it. No matter what I said, Garth never wavered."

Brooks, who shares LeDoux's blood type, began compatibility testing in Tulsa, then went to Nebraska Health System in Omaha, where LeDoux had been receiving treatment. Doctors there eventually ruled Brooks out as a donor because, according to Kimbrell, his liver was too small. "It completely devastated him that Chris wasn't going to get the help he needed," Kimbrell says.

Because of a malignancy in his bile duct, LeDoux was then placed high on the recipient list, and doctors found a suitable liver within days. He received his transplant Oct. 7.

Debra Sudan, who performed LeDoux's transplant, says the newness of the procedure and the accompanying risks make friend-to-friend liver transplants extremely rare. "You have to cut this highly vascular organ into two pieces without affecting the blood supply," she says. "Especially with adults, living-donor transplants have only been performed in any great numbers over the last 18 months to two years."

Brooks asked LeDoux to keep his offer secret, but LeDoux refused.

"He doesn't want to flaunt this," LeDoux says. "I just think the world needs to know what kind of guy he really is."

Brooks would only say: "It's good for all of us that Chris is back."

LeDoux plans to return to the road June 10 in San Jose, Calif. his first performance since September. He doesn't expect his condition to dampen the energy of his concerts, noted for their pyrotechnics and mechanical bull riding.

"My youngest son, he's rodeoing in high school," LeDoux says. "He's got a bucking machine over in the shop. I got on it the other day, just to see if I'd be able to handle it, and I told him to keep turning it up. So, yeah, I think I'll be fine."

kristen166
04-24-2001, 07:16 PM
Would that have been dangerous, like life threatening, the surgery for Garth? :)

Paula
04-24-2001, 08:24 PM
How do they measure the size of somebody's liver.

I figure Garth would have a big one, he is a big kinda person. Or at least average size liver.I don't know how they measure the size of somebody's liver, but I figure his liver may be small to make room for his big heart.

Yes, I know those two organs are nowhere near each other:p...I was speaking figuratively.

Paula

Pilgrim
04-24-2001, 08:33 PM
VERY COOL:):):)

Brian:D

no1cowgirl
04-24-2001, 08:43 PM
Paula-
My thoughts exactly.
Big Heart...Small Liver. :)

Krista

honky
04-24-2001, 09:16 PM
VERY COOL :D

Nice person!!

Tommy

Garthfan92
04-24-2001, 10:14 PM
"Brooks asked LeDoux to keep his offer secret, but LeDoux refused"

I'm glad Chris did make sure we knew. He's right, the world does need to know what a wonderful person Garth really is!!!

Lisa

BLL
04-24-2001, 10:18 PM
Paula- actually the heart and liver share the chest cavity with the lungs and esophagus. Your liver lies slightly below the right shoulder blade, with the bottom lobe protected by the last rib. Body size has no bearing on organ size; organ size is predicated on the genetic frame one inherits. Whilst Garth is tall and heavily muscled his overall body frame is small; look at how long and slender his hands and feet are.

Garth would have undergone some rather intrusive and uncomfortable testing to determine the liver's size, as that area of the body has too much going on to rely upon ultrasound alone. He probably had to have a radioactive graphing of some sort as that's pretty much the norm now.

The surgery, had he been a match, would have involved an incision from spine to close to the breastbone (sternum), cutting through the trapezius and latissimus dorsi muscles in the back. His ribs would have been cracked and spread to give the surgeons room to work. The liver would have been carefully resected, tricky work due the vascular concentration in each of the 4 lobes. He would have a fairly long and painful recovery(at least 6-8 weeks), during which time he'd have limited use of his right arm until the ribs and muscles healed and he'd have to have physical therapy to regain the strength in those muscles. The surgery is in many ways comparable to open heart surgery in terms of severity and recovery time. Yes, Garth could have died during such a surgery.

This is a man willing to undergo major surgery, and to give up picking up his babies, or his guitar just to help a friend. Saying nothing of the fact he's right handed. And he didn't want Chris to say anything.... Goodness, I wish for all of us on this board to have a friend like that.

CheyenneWindRoper
04-24-2001, 10:26 PM
Can we even fathom what love Garth has for his fellow man?

Now honestly, really think about this & consider how many of us would undergo three days of uncomfortable testing for someone else, let alone extensive, very painful, elective MAJOR surgery, that requires a long time of healing for a friend? I do know there are some, but honestly, (even though I would like to think I would jump at the chance) I would really have to give it some major soul searching! I would like to think, knowing I could save someone elses life, that I would do it. Sure, I'd be scared to death, but I pray I could be that kind of friend!

WOW! What a guy! Of course, we knew that, didn't we? ;)

God Bless Garth Brooks & Chris LeDoux :D:D:D

Mary Liz

splitzer
04-25-2001, 01:55 AM
Well put, Mary Liz. :)

God Bless them both!

Garth Always,
Dani

GRTH FAN
04-25-2001, 02:35 AM
Yep! Two Legends In Their Time!! God Bless Both Of Them!
Donna :)

Paula
04-25-2001, 09:21 PM
Your liver lies slightly below the right shoulder bladeI guess I didn't pay attention to biology:o...I always thought the liver was somewhere near the stomach area. Thanks for describing the whole procedure...makes Garth's offer all the more awesome.:D

Paula

BLL
04-25-2001, 10:02 PM
Paula-

Thanks!!!

I usually played 'dots' during biology in school!!!!:):)

Wouldn't ya know I ended working for surgeons for 22 years!!!!! Life is what happens whilst you're making other plans:rolleyes: !

It does reaaaallly show how unselfish and giving Garth truly is, doesn't it?

kristen166
04-25-2001, 10:18 PM
I was like that in school.

I hated Science and history. Then in my last year of highschool I began to really find both subjects very interesting. Now I love them. I just bought a Physics book.

I always wanted to be a doctor when I was little despite not liking science, but I am not a very smart person. I would do more harm than good in that field.:(

Garthfan92
04-25-2001, 10:23 PM
I hadn't realized just how invasive the surgery would be. I can really understand why Chris felt the need to let people know Garth was willing to do this for him. I'd do the same no matter how many times he said he didn't want to make a big deal over it. His generosity and loyalty to his friends is overwhelming and amazing to me!!! God Bless Garth and Chris!!!

Lisa

countyfair_85
04-26-2001, 02:50 AM
Garth ALWAYS amazes me with his love for others! ;)
What a friend!

-Diane