PDA

View Full Version : Can you think of any singers who write..

fuzzwuzz
04-17-2001, 01:04 AM
...about old girl/boyfriends/relationships and REAL people they know?

Look what I found Brian! Remember what we have been recently talking about? ;) In a book I just got, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stone Files(I'll send this to ya if I haven't already when I am done reading it)
"The stuff I write about is what I live with," he told Rolling Stone in 1974. "The stories are all around me. I just put 'em down. They're all true. Even the names."I wonder if he still uses the real names? I know 'Pilgrim' is in there, but I'm sure he must have changed mine to protect the 'innocent'! Me! The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle! Lol!

Surely there are some interesting stories out there in song that are true. Heard of any?
Brian, what did you find when you went on your search for me about Bruce? Anything that stood out?

Pilgrim
04-17-2001, 01:50 PM
That is VERY interresting Dale :):)

I couldn't find more info about it when I searched :(
The only I know of is that The River was more or less about one of his sisters:)
And that ALL the locations (towns, street names, buildings etc.) he use in his songs does excist, or has excisted.

I don't have the book you talk about:o infact I didn't even know there was such a book:o
I would love to read it though:)

But what you quoted sure make it even more interesting to study his lyrics:)

BTW, I got my DVD's today:D They are great!!!!!!!!
I like "Better Days" where he play with Crystal and Tommy from the CG album:)

Brian

cybersadie
04-17-2001, 05:17 PM
Richard Marx writes mostly about his wife and sons. Except for "Angelia," which he wrote just because he liked the name of a stewardess and "Hazard."

splitzer
04-18-2001, 04:07 AM
The Bacon Brothers frequently write from their own experiences. Anyone familiar with their music - I know, I know, none of you are - will know that you can kind of tell the stories are real.

I dunno any others off the top of my head, except the obvious Garth references.

Garth Always,
Danielle

sergeant
04-18-2001, 04:14 AM
I LOVE the Bacon Brothers. They are incredibly awesome! i went to one of their shows recently and they told the stories behind alot of their songs. Go Danielle!

Leslie:cool:

splitzer
04-18-2001, 04:17 AM
Cool :):)

Like "Don't Lose Me Boy" and "Brown Eyes" and "Grey-Green Eyes" and "Old Guitars"... LOL... so many!

You have excellent taste. ;)

Garth Always,
Dani

fuzzwuzz
04-18-2001, 10:01 PM
I don't know the Bacon Brothers. I do enjoy Richard Marx. Anybody care to share any of the interesting lyrics from some of these songs that may be about real people or situations?

Brian, I'm running into more neat Bruce quotes in this book. Also a longer version of the above quote adds
...Even the names, Big Balls Billy, Weak-kneed Willie, all of 'em.

I'm a lifetime musician..I'm going to be playing music forever..when I started in music, I thought, 'my job is pretty simple. My job is I search for the human things in myself, and I turn them into notes and words, and then in some fashion, I help people hold on to their own humanity'--if I'm doing my job right.

I believe that the life of a rock & roll band will last as long as you look down into the audience and can see yourself, and your audience looks up at you and can see themselves--and as long as those reflections are human, realistic ones.

For the first time, Springsteen gave an indication that his priorities were shifting. In concert, he went from shouting "I'm just a prisoner of rock & roll" to "I'm just a prisoner of love...I guess I used to think that rock could save you. I don't believe it can anymore. It can do alot. It's certainly done alot for me...but as you get older, you realize that it is not enough...the world is nothing but complex...and if you do not learn to interpret it's complexities, you're going to be on the river without a paddle."

It's difficult...it gets harder as it goes along. I guess it's because you got to fight your way through more and more of the bull****. You have to go a little farther than you went the last time. Go a little deeper down into yourself. That's hard to do, because you gotta face emotions and stuff. I don't know--it's a bit scary...I don't know how important the settings are in the first place. It's the idea behind the settings. It could be New Jersey, it could be California, it could be Alaska. The images are the coloring, not necessarily the picture. I can float anywhere--uptown, downtown, anywhere. I want to do everything, I want to see everything> I want to go everywhere> I know what kind of situation it is. Inside, I got everything straight.
Wow! That's some cool insights on songwriting! And that's only gleanings up to 1976! And there is 300 more pages to go! I'll keep posting more as I come across them, ok?

Pilgrim
04-19-2001, 07:34 PM
WOW!! That is definitely a cool quote:D:D:D Very cool Dale:)

Thanks a lot for posting and sharing this:):)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
04-23-2001, 01:42 AM
Ok. I'm still reading. Here's a few more.
(about the lawsuit with ex-manager)"Appel's interest in this action is strictly financial...my interest is my career, which up until now holds the promise of my being able to significantly contribute to, and possibly influence, a generation of music. No amount of money could compensate me if I were to lose this opportunity."

One of his best new songs is "The Promise," which remains unreleased. I ask why.
"Because too many people were interpreting it to be about the lawsuit. I wrote it before there was a lawsuit. ..I don't write songs about lawsuits."

A mutual friend told me that Springsteen had said that the songs on Darkness on the Edge of Town are about "people who are going from nowhere to nowhere.".."Yeah, that's what I always thought. That's why alot of the action always takes place around cars. It's like everybody's always in transit. There's no settling down, no fixed action. You pick up the action, and that at some point--psst!--the camera pans away, and whatever happened, that's what happened. The songs I write, they don't have particular beginnings and they don't have endings. The camera focuses in and then out."

"Factory--that's like everybody's old man or something"...I mention there are are a couple of songs about fathers on Darkness on the Edge of Town. Springsteen looks thoughtful.
"Yeah, there are. I wrote 3 songs that had to do with that, and one didn't get on. And that might have been the best one, but it just didn't fit. It's a song called 'Independence Day.'"

Many of the characters in the songs on Bruce Springsteen's new album appear to be so trapped in a state of desparation so intense that they must either break through into something better(or at least into something ambiguous) or break down into madness, murder, or worse...
"My songs are all action songs. They're action, you know. All of my songs are about people at that moment when they've got to do something, just do something, do anything. There's no halfway in most of the songs because I don't approach what I do that way. There's just no room for compromise. I think, for most musicians, it has to be like life or death or else it's not worth it...

The stuff I always felt closest to was the small-town kinda stuff, because that's where I live--I don't live in New York. So I wrote 'Racing in the Street,' that's like home. And 'Darkness on the Edge of Town.' 'The Promise' was too. That's home stuff, you know."I have always loved Darkness on the Edge of Town as the first Boss album I truly became addicted to. Tunnel of Love is now a close second.
I like what Bruce says about the music being as serious as life or death. Where it gets into real action.

Brian, can you tell us more about some of these songs Bruce brought up? And can you post the lyrics to the ones with Billy and Willie in them? Hopefully we will come up with more names used in songs as well. Are there many that you can recall?

More friends then he ever knew he had invade his little green house a half block from the one that has his yellow Chevy with the brown flames on the hood parked out front. When he hangs out in clubs or walks down the beach hand in hand with his girlfriend, Karen Darvin, all sorts of people who pretty much like himself stop and talk. It's a world he's raised to universality in his songs, but it's real, and one hopes he can function outside of it.

Pilgrim
04-23-2001, 08:07 AM
I goofed above when I said it was "Better Days". I meant "Leap Of Faith":o

Here is the first song "The Promise":) It is released now.:)

THE PROMISE

Johnny works in a factory and Billy works downtown
Terry works in a rock and roll band
Lookin' for that million-dollar sound
I got a little job down in Darlington
But some nights I don't go
Some nights I go to the drive-in, or some nights I stay home
I followed that dream just like those guys do up on the screen
And I drive a Challenger down Route 9 through the dead ends and all the bad scenes
And when the promise was broken, I cashed in a few of my dream

Well now I built that Challenger by myself
But I needed money and so I sold it
I lived a secret I should'a kept to myself
But I got drunk one night and I told it
All my life I fought this fight
The fight that no man can never win
Every day it just gets harder to live
This dream I'm believing in
Thunder Road, oh baby you were so right
Thunder Road there's something dyin' on the highway tonight

I won big once and I hit the coast
But somehow I paid the big cost
Inside I felt like I was carryin' the broken spirits
Of all the other ones who lost
When the promise is broken you go on living
But it steals something from down in your soul
Like when the truth is spoken and it don't make no difference
Something in your heart goes cold
I followed that dream through the southwestern flats
That dead ends in two-bit bars
And when the promise was broken I was far away from home
Sleepin' in the back seat of a borrowed car
Thunder Road, for the lost lovers and all the fixed games
Thunder Road, for the tires rushing by in the rain
Thunder Road, Billy and me we'd always say
Thunder Road, we were gonna take it all and throw it all away

There are 17 songs where the names Billy appears:o I think the song he think about is "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)";)

ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT)

Spread out now Rosie doctor come cut loose her mama's reins
You know playin' blind man's bluff is a little baby's game
You pick up Little Dynamite I'm gonna pick up Little Gun
And together we're gonna go out tonight and make that highway run
You don't have to call me lieutenant Rosie and I don't want to be your son
The only lover I'm ever gonna need's your soft sweet little girl's tongue and

Rosie you're the one
Dynamite's in the belfry playin' with the bats
Little Gun's downtown in front of Woolworth's tryin' out his attitude on all the cats
Papa's on the corner waitin' for the bus
Mama she's home in the window waitin' up for us
She'll be there in that chair when they wrestle her upstairs `cause you know we ain't gonna come
I ain't here for business, I'm only here for fun

Rosalita jump a little lighter, senorita come sit by my fire
I just want to be your lover ain't no liar, Rosalita you're my stone desire

Jack the Rabbit and Weak Knees Willie you know they're gonna be there
Ah sloppy Sue and Big Bones Billie they'll be comin' up for air
We're gonna play some pool skip some school act real cool
Stay out all night it's gonna feel alright
Rosie come out tonight, Rosie come out tonight
Windows are for cheaters chimneys for the poor
Closets are for hangers winners use the door

Rosalita jump a little...

Now I know your mama she don't like me `cause I play in a rock and roll band
And I know your daddy he don't dig me but he never did understand
Papa lowered the boom he locked you in your room
I'm comin' to lend a hand
I'm comin' to liberate you confiscate you I want to be your man
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
But now you're sad your mama's mad
And your papa says he knows that I don't have any money
Tell him this is last chance to get his daughter in a fine romance
Because a record company Rosie just gave me a big advance

My tires were slashed and I almost crashed but the Lord had mercy
My machine she's a dud out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Hold on tight stay up all night `cause Rosie I'm comin' on strong
By the time we meet the morning light I will hold you in my arms
I know a pretty little place in Southern California down San Diego way
There's a little cafe where they play guitars all night and day
You can hear them in the back room strummin'
So hold tight baby `cause don't you know daddy's comin'

Rosalita jump a little...

Hmmm I will try and find out about the songs:) I can say now that he use TONS of names in his songs ALL the time:o

Thanks for sharing that quote:)

Brian

Lowell Miller
04-23-2001, 10:28 PM
Rick Ferrell writes all his music...He wrote Tim's Something like that about our hometown fair. Skipping rocks on the Ohio River by the tracks...With that girl in the mini skirt. It's all true. He ever seen her again at Mardi Gras. Most of his songs come from true life experiences ....Mostly our family.:rolleyes:
Yep, you guys are going to get sick of me talking about him.....;)

fuzzwuzz
04-23-2001, 11:41 PM
On the contrary Lowell. You've got my interest way up. Talking about who? I love that song of Tim's! Tell us all about it, how it was written. Is this Rick Tim's songwriter? How is your family involved? Tell us more!! We want to get what's real out of the songs in any way we can.

Brian, that's so cool to see those lyrics of 'familiar' Boss tunes. I remember Route 9 alright. Besides down by the beach it was the place to take your date driving up and down that road. I'm really enjoying reading and quoting from this book. It brings back so much of the Jersey shore for me. The good stuff, ya know?

Here's something I read about Thunder Road today. Interesting to me is Bruce keeps on carrying things like this into other songs, like the one posted above. Thunder Road is a song but it's also real to him in his experience:
"Last summer, I went driving out in the desert near Reno--we just flew to Phoenix and rented a car and drove around. And in the desert we came upon a house that this old Indian had built of stuff scavenged from the desert. And on this house there was a sign: THIS IS THE LAND OF PEACE, LOVE, JUSTICE, AND NO MERCY. And at the bottom of the sign there was an arrow pointing down this old dirt road. And it said: THUNDER ROAD."I'd be willing to bet Thunder Road might not be such a bad trip if it had some mercy instead of none.
Hey Brian? Indulge us with the lyrics to that one? You don't mind do ya? Not a big Boss fan like you right? After all, if it's not about the songs then why be a fan? Hope you are enjoying this as much as I am. :)

KuntryLuvinGurl
04-23-2001, 11:50 PM
I know that Brad Paisley wrote "Another You" about an ex-girlfriend. David Kersh did that song.

Lowell Miller
04-24-2001, 03:28 PM
Talking about Ricky....he has a new CD coming out..I'm proud. :) He has written songs for Tim, Martina Mcbride, Montgomery Gentry, Earl Thomas Conley etc. Something Like That took place in the Scioto County Fair in Portsmouth, Ohio...We grew up on the Ohio River...that's where they skipped rocks. ;) He met her at the fair, he was in high school...they go along. ;) A lot of his songs are about our family...My Mom and his Dad are brother and sister. We have a wild family *lol When I first moved here I had little money he said I will write a song called Broke in Brooklyn. lol I don't know if that one ever got finished. ;)

Pilgrim
04-24-2001, 08:47 PM
COOOOOOLLLL Dale:D:D:D:D

Of course you get "Thunder Road":):) I Love the stuff you post:)

THUNDER ROAD

The screen door slams
Mary's dress waves
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again
I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside
darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinking
That maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me

You can hide `neath your covers
And study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers
Throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vain
For a savior to rise from these streets
Well now I'm no hero
That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl
Is beneath this dirty hood
With a chance to make it good somehow
Hey what else can we do now
Except roll down the window
And let the wind blow back your hair
Well the night's busting open
These two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back
Heaven's waiting on down the tracks
Oh oh come take my hand
Riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh oh Thunder Road, oh Thunder Road
oh Thunder Road
Lying out there like a killer in the sun
Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run
Oh Thunder Road, sit tight take hold
Thunder Road

Well I got this guitar
And I learned how to make it talk
And my car's out back
If you're ready to take that long walk
>From your front porch to my front seat
The door's open but the ride it ain't free
And I know you're lonely
For words that I ain't spoken
But tonight we'll be free
All the promises'll be broken
There were ghosts in the eyes
Of all the boys you sent away
They haunt this dusty beach road
In the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets

They scream your name at night in the street
Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet
And in the lonely cool before dawn
You hear their engines roaring on
But when you get to the porch they're gone
On the wind, so Mary climb in
It's a town full of losers
And I'm pulling out of here to win.

Hey Lowell:eek: He look like you:eek:

Brian

fuzzwuzz
04-24-2001, 10:00 PM
Lowell! More! Tell us more about Rick's songs and the people in them! What's it like having family involved in music and in the songs? Are you in some too? Have you written some yourself?
Here's the lyrics to the one we've been talking about.
Something Like That
Rick Ferrell~Keith Follese

It was Labor Day weekend I was seventeen
I bought a Coke and some gasoline
And I drove out to the county fair
When I saw her for the first time
She was standing there in the ticket line
And it all started right then and there
Oh, a sailer's sky made a perfect sunset
And that's the day I'll never forget

I had a barbeque stain on my white tee shirt
She was killing me in that miniskirt
Skippin' rocks on the river by the railroad tracks
She had a suntan line and red lipstick
I worked so hard for that first kiss
And a heart don't forget something like that

Well it was five years later on a southbound plane
I was headed down to New Orleans
To meet some friends of mine for Mardi Gras
When I heard a voice from the past
Comin' from a few rows back
And when I looked, I couldn't believe just what I saw
She said I bet you don't remember me
And I said only every other memory

I had a barbeque stain on my white tee shirt
You were killing me in that miniskirt
Skippin' rocks on the river by the railroad tracks
You had a suntan line and red lipstick
And a heart don't forget something like that

Like an old photograph
Time can make a feeling fade
But the memory of a first love
Never fades away

I had a barbecue stain on my white tee shirt
She was killing me in that miniskirt
Skippiní rocks on the river by the railroad tracks
She had a sun tan line and red lipstick
A heart donít forget, no a heart donít forget
I said a heart donít forget something like that
Oh, not something like that

fuzzwuzz
04-24-2001, 11:04 PM
Brian, isn't it interesting how Bruce is forever looking forward to that promised land?

Did you know Bob Seger came out and did an oncore of 'Thunder Road' with Bruce at the Ann Harbor, Michigan concert Oct. 3, 1980? I wonder if it's on CD? Neat how Seger seems to sing about the thunder alot in his songs too, huh? And Garth also?

I see here too Bruce's former girlfriend was rock photographer Lynn Goldsmith. Hear of her? They had a big fight on his birthday at New York's Madison Square Garden when she broke her promise not to photograph him at the show. She was distracting him. He
stormed out into the audience, grabbed her by her arms, wrenched her to her feet, dragged her up on stage and shouted "This is my ex-girlfriend!" Then he flung her toward the wings, where she was brusquely hustled away. After the show, a clutch of roadies and subalterns could be heard shouting "macho Boss!" Several women standing backstage with their musician boyfriends were shocked.
Goldsmith was intensely humiliated by the experience, but declined further comment. For Springsteen though, it was just one of those things. "It was my birthday..and we were having a great time. She was doing something she said she wouldn't do. I tried to handle it in other ways, but she avoided them. So I had to do it myself."

Did you know "Born To Run" was once considered as New Jersey's theme song? I wonder if it ever succeeded getting voted in? It was the song that got this Jersey shore girl hooked on the Boss for sure.

Here's a funny story about Bruce looking for God! He tells this story in the midst of the song 'Growin' Up' at concerts. ;)
It began with a description of his family, house and home, and his perennial battles with his father. "Finally," he says, "my father said to me, 'Bruce, it's time to get serious with your life. This guitar thing is ok as a hobby, but you need something to fall back on. You should be a lawyer.'--which I coulda used later in my career. He says, 'Lawyers, they run the world.' But I didn't think they did--I still don't.
"My mother, she's more sensitive. She thinks I should be an author and write books. But I wanted to play guitar. So my mother, she's very Italian, she says, 'This is a big thing, you should go see the priest.' So I went to the rectory and knocked on the door. 'Hi Father Ray, I'm Mr. Springsteen's son. I got this problem. My father thinks I should be a lawyer, and my mother, she wants me to be an author. But I got this guitar.'
"Father Ray says, 'This is too big a deal for me. You gotta talk to God,' who I didn't know too well at the time. 'Tell him about the lawyer and the author,' he says, but don't say nothin' about that guitar.'
"Well, I didn't know how to find God, so I went to Clarence's house. He says, 'No sweat. He's just outside of town.' So we drive outside of town, way out on this little dark road.
"I said, 'Clarence, are you sure you know where we are going?' He said, 'Sure I just took a guy out there the other day.' So we come to this little house out in the woods. There's music blasting out and a little hole in the door. I say, 'Clarence sent me.' and they let me in. And there's God behind the drums. On the bass drum it says: G-O-D. So I said, 'God, I got this problem. My father wants me to be a lawyer and my mother wants me to be an author. But they just don't understand--I got this guitar.'
"God says, 'What they don't understand is that there was supposed to be an Eleventh Commandment. Actually, it's Moses' fault. He was so scared after 10, he said this is enough, and went down the mountain. You shoulda seen it--great show, the burning bush, thunder, lightning. You see, what those guys didn't understand was that there was an Eleventh Commandment. And all it said was: LET IT ROCK!"

Now that's a cool story! I can almost see and hear that thunder-mountain consumed by that good ol' rock'n roll! ;)

Brian? Indulge us again with the lyrics? To 'Growin' Up' that this story refers to?

fuzzwuzz
04-24-2001, 11:11 PM
Emily, I love Brad Paisley! I never heard 'Another You.' Could you share the lyrics?

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
04-24-2001, 11:40 PM
Hey Lowell!:D I have caught Rick's video "The Girl's Got it Goin' On" at least four times on CMT, and my kids are getting sick of me singing it around the house lol. I really love this tune:) My oldest daughter just loves the song "Somethin' Like That" too! So when is Rick's new CD coming out? I will definitely get it:)

CC

KuntryLuvinGurl
04-24-2001, 11:52 PM
Fuzzwuzz-That's awesome that you like Brad! He's one of my favorites. Here's the lyrics to "Another You".

Another You
(Brad Paisley)

Yesterday morning, just before noon
I passed a girl wearing your old perfume
And I stopped and stared
I could almost see you standing there
Don't get me wrong - I'm almost over you
But now and then I like to go walking through
Some of our old times
Even though I realize

I'll have another chance
I'll find another girl
I'll see another day
And I'll build another world
I'll start another life just like you told me to
And I'll find another love
But there will never be another you

Night after night I go back through the years
I sit on this porch as the sun disappears
Like we did back then
I remind myself once again

That I'll have another chance
I'll find another girl
I'll see another day
I'll build another world
I'll start another life
Just like you told me to
And I'll find another love
But there'll never be another you

Well I guess I should thank you for showing me how love should feel
I know what I'm gonna look for cuz I felt it when you held me

And I'll have another chance
I'll find another girl
I'll see another day
And I'll build another world
I'll start another life just like you told me to
I'll find another love
But there'll never be another you
Another you

I love that song! I wish Brad would do it himself sometime.
:-)Emily

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
04-24-2001, 11:56 PM
Lowell...does Rick have a web site, and is that
song on his upcoming CD? thanks!

Dale and Brian...thanks for posting the lyrics to these
excellent Bruce Songs, and Dale for the Brad Paisley Song. :D

CC

Lowell Miller
04-25-2001, 03:43 AM
Dale :D I'll post more about it tomorrow....I'm getting sleepy. I've been talking about him for so long I'm just glad something is coming out...Every time we have a reunion my uncles and Ricky get the guitars out Mom sings they all sing. Music has always been a big part of my family. I have wrote a couple songs. I don't think they are very good...I write alot of poems and short stories. I never show them to anybody...it makes me to nervous. :eek: :D Cool CC! Yep that song will be on the cd. They are getting his site up now. :D I think the CD isn't coming out until July. :mad: But Dreamworks is doing something different they are releasing another song called A Different Point of View in June. Brian :p Ricky can sing but I got all the looks. :p ;)

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
04-25-2001, 09:41 AM
OOPS! I meant thanks Emily for the Brad Paisley song lyrics :)

Lowell...cool...I hope you will post about his site when it is up,Also... July is OK. I'll get his CD for my birthday:)and I'll be keeping an eye out for that other song in June :) Thanks!

CC

Pilgrim
04-25-2001, 08:10 PM
Hey!! Thanks for posting all those quotes Dale:D They are all GREAT:)

I didn't know about Bob Seger:o But I do know that bruce when he was in Copenhagen in 1980 got up on stage to perform a couple of songs with a Danish band called Malurt;)
They played a slow version of "Hungry Heart". The funny part is that the security guy didn't know Bruce so he almost beat the crap out of him when he tried to get into the show *LOL*
In 1988 he played with street musucian John Magnusson on "strÝget" in Copenhagen, and it was all captured on video tape:)
They played "I'm On Fire"/"Dancing In The Dark" and "The River". Just like that in the middle of the day in the most populated street of Copenhagen:)

I did hear about "Born To Run". I think even when it is not the state anthem, I think it IS unofficially, that's what I hear and see around on the net anyway:)

Here is "Growin' Up"

GROWIN' UP

I stood stone-like at midnight suspended in my masquerade
I combed my hair till it was just right and commanded the night brigade
I was open to pain and crossed by the rain and I walked on a crooked crutch
I strolled all alone through a fallout zone and came out with my soul untouched
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Sit down" I stood up.
Ooh-ooh growin' up

The flag of piracy flew from my mast, my sails were set wing to wing
I had a jukebox graduate for first mate, she couldn't sail but she sure could sing,
I pushed B-52 and bombed `em with the blues with my gear set stubborn on standing
I broke all the rules, strafed my old high school, never once gave thought to landing,
I hid in the clouded wrath of the crowd but when they said "Come down" I threw up
Ooh-ooh growin' up

I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere and you know it's really hard to hold your breath.
I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared, I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress
Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth but I got me a nice little place in the stars
And I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car
I hid in the mother breast of the crowd but when they said "Pull down" I pulled up
Ooh-ooh growin' up. Ooh-ooh growin' up

I have "stolen" Cosmic Kid and use that as my name in different chat programmes:o Just Cozmic Kid *LOL*

Brian

fuzzwuzz
04-25-2001, 10:28 PM
Thanks for posting that Brian. I forgot cozmic kid was in that song. Love those stories about Bruce in Coppenhagen. Have I ever heard a slow version of Hungry Heart? Have you seen the video with the street musician?

As I've been posting from this Rolling Stone book I'm often reminded of Chris Gaines where he seems to relate to Bruce as a rebel, at home with his parents, with women, and with his/their songwriting and the stories he/they weave around their songs from real life. I seem to recall Garth saying Chris' career is based on Bruce's, and that Garth's concerts are based on Bruce's. Interesting when you look at it.

Lowell, I'm tired too. I'll post more good stuff later. Mostly about Brian's fave album The River. Thanks for sharing about your family. Indulge us all you can. I've missed out on your past postings so you'll have to catch me up if you are willing. I don't have time to read alot of the threads at PG. Barely have time to post on this one. But we are having fun I think.

Pilgrim
04-26-2001, 08:21 PM
Hmmm I don't know if you have heard the slow version of "Hungry Heart".
I DO know that he has A LOT of versions of different songs:)
I have seen the video with the street singer:D:D I don't have it thoug, but know where to get it;)

Take these songs for "Darkness On The Edge Of Town":)

Adam Raised a Cain

Badlands
Take 23

Candy's Room
Take 42

Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Take 28

Factory
Take 28

The Promised Land
Take 5

Prove It All Night
Take 49

Racing In The Street
Take 46

Something in The Night
Take 42

Streets Of Fire
Take 28

WOW!!! So a song has been recorded 49 times:eek: Incredible:)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
04-26-2001, 11:04 PM
Brian, I am so touched by Bruce's caring for the individual, whether as a fan or just someone in need. You are gonna love this book. Rolling Stone was a firm believer in the Boss's music before almost Bruce himself, so they had lots of press on him. It's where I read about him back then.

Here's just one example, his commitment to the Vietnam vets.

"Big businessmen and political leaders failed to rally behind us," said Vietnam veteran Bobby Muller, speaking to 15,000 remarkably attentive rock fans on Aug. 20th at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. "And now it ultimately turns out to be a symbol of our generation--rock & roll--that brings us together...this is the first step in ending the silence that has surrounded Vietnam."and then backstage:"we tried everything..people don't like to think about the Vietnam vets, because everything about the war was negative. We shouldn't have been fighting, we lost..but Bruce has publicly aligned himself with the lepers of our society and taken us out of the shadows."
Bruce's speech following introducing Muller at the benefit concert:"It's like when you're walking down a street at night, and out of the corner of your eye you see someone getting hurt in a dark alley", he said slowly,"But you keep walking on because you think it don't have nothing to do with you and you just want to get home. Vietnam turned this whole country into that dark street, and unless we can walk down those dark alleys and look into the eyes of those men and women, we're never gonna get home."

And there are lots of stories of him speaking nicely of giving himself to the fans.

I'll get back to the songs next post. Kinda tired tonight.

Pilgrim
04-27-2001, 07:48 PM
That quote is AWESOME:D:D:D

it kinda reminds me about the video of "War" with the dad and his son watching the war on TV at the beginning, and at the end his son has left to go to war:eek:
Sad how many lifes and families the politicians screwed back then because they had to kill what they were afraid of:(

Brian:)

fuzzwuzz
04-28-2001, 12:37 PM
PG was down last night and I have to get to work, but here's a little snippet about a few songs on Nebraska. I don't mean for this thread to be all Bruce, so if anyone wants to keep sharing about the songs written by and for other artists, indulge us please!

"State Trooper", about two brothers with different ideas about law and order, "Johnny 99", about an unemployed man who goes on a killing rampage: and "Nebraska:, said to be about mass murderer Charlie Starkwater, whose deeds were depicted in the film Badlands. The album's final track, "Reason to Believe," offers a ray of hope amid all this sadness: "At the end of every hard-earned day/ People find reason to believe."
I'm not that familiar with this album. Would you say Rolling Stone was right about the meaning of the above songs?

Pilgrim
04-28-2001, 08:00 PM
Dale:)

I know "Highway Patrolman" (not State Trooper) was made into a movie by Sean Penn:)
It's called "Indian Runner". You should have the excellent video DVD's;)
That's the one about the two brothers;)

"Nebraska" IS based on the movie Badlands with Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek. That movie again is based on Charles Starkweathers killing spree in Nebraska and Wyoming in the 50's:)
Actually USA's first "mass murdered":eek:

"Johnny 99" is about a man making a robbery becaudse the bank is holding his mortgage.
He was drunk coming home from looking after a job, and shot a night clerk (I think)
All triggered because they closed down a Ford aotuplant in Mahwah.
Must have been in the 70's or early 80's, please correct me if I am wrong:)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
04-29-2001, 12:23 AM
Yes, I remember seeing that video of the song about the two brothers. So, are these movies any good? Are they all based on real life then?

Pilgrim
04-29-2001, 01:42 PM
I am not sure "Highway Patrolman"/"Indian Runner" is based on real life.

But "Nebraska"/"Badlands" is definitely based on the Charles Starkweather/Caril Fugate killing trip in 1958.

http://va.crimelibrary.com/starkweather/starkmain.htm

http://web0.cmsu.edu/CJ/charles.htm

NEBRASKA

I saw her standin' on her front lawn just twirlin' her baton
Me and her went for a ride sir and ten innocent people died

From the town of Lincoln Nebraska with a sawed off .410 on my lap
Through to the badlands of Wyoming I killed everything in my path

I can't say that I'm sorry for the things that we done
At least for a little while sir me and her we had us some fun

The jury brought in a guilty verdict and the judge he sentenced me to death
Midnight in a prison storeroom with leather straps across my chest

Sheriff when the man pulls that switch sir and snaps my poor head back
You make sure my pretty baby is sittin' right there on my lap

They declared me unfit to live said into that great void my soul'd be hurled
They wanted to know why I did what I did
Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world

Brian

fuzzwuzz
04-30-2001, 01:34 AM
Oh wow. Does that bring it a little too close to home? I mean, didn't Garth say his songs are about real life too? I found it hard to read all of the stuff at those links that the songs only can begin to touch on. But hey. Welcome to the real world. It ain't a pretty picture. Thanks Bruce for getting me to look at this like you've been trying to tell me all these years. And thanks Brian for posting them.

Here's another example in that book of how serious Bruce takes his profession. This one is gonna remind us hopefully of another singer we all know and love...

Accuse Sprinsteen of being a "star" and he'll flick his hand like he's just been splashed with pigeon ****. He is eager to point out that he has the better deal in the meeting place between fan and star.
"I think the one feeling that's most unique to this job, the best part of the whole thing, is meeting someone like this guy I met the other night who had been on a bus 10 hours. He's 21 years old, and he just grabs hold of me. We're in a room crowded with people. He's cryin', and he doesn't care. He says, 'It's my birthday', and I ask, 'How old are you?' He says, 'I'm 21, and this is the most important thing in my life.' And you know they're not kidding when they say it, because you look in their faces and they're so full of emotion.
"You meet somebody, and it's like an open well. In ten minutes I'll know more about him than his mother and father do, and maybe his best friend. All the things it usually takes for people to know each other just go away, because there's this feeling that it's so fleeting. They tell you the thing that's most important to them right away. It's a sobering thing, because you know that somewhere you did something that meant something to them. It's just a real raw, emotional thing; it's like the cleanest thing you ever felt. You have a communication, a feeling, and I don't know, you just gotta love the guy. If you don't, there's something the matter with you.
"And it ain't some starry-eyed thing, and it ain't some Hollywood thing, and it ain't some celebrity thing. This guy, he loves you, and what's more, he knows you in a certain way. That's the thing that makes me strong. I get strong when I meet somebody like that."
After reading that aren't you at least a little tempted to meet the Boss Brian? Bruce has a way of looking at us as not just another face in the crowd. It comes through in his songwriting too. We are in there somewhere with him. I was truly touched by his attitude toward his fans. He obviously has a kinship with them he cherishes. Must be the reason he writes and sings. Thanks Bruce!

Yet, his life at home tends toward more quiet activities, like staying up all night watching late movies, often with his California-based actress girlfriend, Joyce Heiser.

Is she in any songs? Also it is suggested Bruce was influenced by John Ford westerns during the period of Born to Run and Darkness on the Edge of Town and Jon Landau's entrance into his music. Know anything about these movies or the girl?

Pilgrim
04-30-2001, 07:10 PM
Those were some damn cool quotes Dale:D:D

I am still not really tempted to meet him though:o

Thanks for posting those quotes:)

I am not sure if there is a song about Joyse, but I am confident that her name isn't mentioned in any song;)
I have to flip through the books to see if I can find any songs about her:)
I have never heard about the John Ford part before:o
I may have to ask the real professionals on this;)

Brian:D

fuzzwuzz
04-30-2001, 11:00 PM
Well maybe you don't but now I sure do! Lol!
But Brian, I thought you were the professional here? Who ya talkin' about? I think I'll go check those emails I saved you had sent me from Bruce's forum when you asked them about him writing songs about girlfriends. There were a few names mentioned there I think. If I find anything I'll paste it here, ok?

I sure am enjoying what I am learning about Bruce and his music just by sharing things I have read and heard. I hope others here will keep it up with other artists as well.
Lowell, where's your posts about Rick Ferrel's songs so I can go read and catch up to all the cool things I'm sure I've missed.

Pilgrim
05-01-2001, 08:30 PM
*LOL* Dale:)

I am not the expert in bruce;) I have said before I am a fan of the music, and not really the personal life of any artist:)
There are of course some things that I pay attention to:)

You are very welcome to post the quotes here:)
I may still have them as well:)

fuzzwuzz
05-02-2001, 01:40 AM
Here's some of those comments.

I think on the Thundercrack boot, he mentions something about Thundercrack being about his girlfriend? I could be wrong...and I'd like to think Rosie is a real :]

He dedicated "You Mean So Much to Me" to some old girlfriend...old boot. On GL, I do believe. Goldsmith claims Point Blank is for her...I have my doubts. I also have my theories about I'm on Fire but that's just my theory. J

Maria Espinosa from "In Freehold" maybe?

Of course they are about old girlfriends!!! What better way to get chicks than to use their names in songs!!??? listen to the different incarnations of Thunder Road...he uses no less than four different girls names. And don't tell me he was trying them out for sound...." Angelina's dress waves"? Bruce was lookin for love.....

I thought I read somewhere that Be True was written to Goldsmith, but Point Blank (Sherry Darling's post) might be the song. Who knows...but I doubt a past girlfriend would want to be the subject of either.

On the Thundercrack boot, Bruce dedicates Thundercrack to his girlfriend's sister. Hm.

CozmicKid: Supposedly 'Drive All Night' was written for Joyce Hyser, one of Bruce's girlfriends who refused to marry him--HUH?!?!?!?!?

So Joyce refused him? Who's this Goldsmith? Have we mentioned her here yet? I read that whole thread you sent me from the topic you posted for me. Thanks for embarrassing yourself for me Brian! What a good guy! Can you find the link so I can go read it all? Maybe some of us will want to respond to it from here? Unless you'd rather not. That's ok too. Or post some things from it you found interesting or applies?

Maybe this is just a woman thing, but sometimes the songs kinda make you wonder who Bruce is singing to. To me often times of course! ;)

I'll post tidbits about The River tomorrow.

Lowell Miller
05-02-2001, 01:00 PM
Hmmmm Dale, I'm trying to think of what I can tell? :eek:
Hmmmmm, let me think....

Pilgrim
05-02-2001, 07:41 PM
I have to loook iin one of the books for Goldsmith:)
I can't remember everything:o *LOL*

fuzzwuzz
05-02-2001, 11:42 PM
Think harder guys! I'm too tired to.:(

Lowell Miller
05-03-2001, 02:58 AM
I shouldn't post so late...it's to hard to type....afj;fkj:o sleep......:o

fuzzwuzz
05-03-2001, 11:21 PM
Ok ok! Let's see what I can come up with about songs to The River. Here's some cool thoughts from Rolling Stone's review on the album:

What makes the River really special is Bruce Springsteen's epic exploration of the second acts of American lives. Because he realizes that most of our todays are the tragicomic sum of a scattered series of yesterdays that had once hoped to become better tomorrow's, he can fuse past and present, desire and destiny, laughter and longing, and have death or glory emerge as more than just another story. By ultilizing the vast cast of characters he's already established on the earlier LP's--and by putting a spin on the time span--Springsteen forces his heroes and heroines into seeing themselves at different and crucial periods in their lives. The connections are infinite(and some would say, repetitious).

When an artist ties these kinds of knots around several compositions, it's impressive. But when he also uses jump-cut juxtapositions of mood(the one between "I Wanna Marry You" and "The River" is particularly stunning) and more than a few characters in completely contrasting situations, it's downright brilliant. One labyrinthine example: the randy rocker of "Ramrod", who sings: "Hey, little dolly won't you say that you will/ Meet me tonight up on top of the hill/ Well just a few miles cross the county line/ There's a cute little chapel nestled down in the pines" like he no longer believes a word of it but has to keep pushing anyway or he'll die, is probably the same guy who went racing in the street with his buddy, Sonny, and later sang, in "Darkness on the Edge of Town": "I lost my money and I lost my wife/ Them things don't seem to matter much to me now/ Tonight I'll be on that hill 'cause I can't stop..." He could easily be the reformed husband in "Drive All Night," too(there's an "on the edge of town reference).

Though they're separated by eight songs, "Drive All Night' is linked with "I Wanna Marry You" by a set of "my girl" refrains that don't appear on the lyric sheet. Yet the shy, naive narrator of "I Wanna Marry You"(who sweetly and secretly yearns for someone's estranged wife, whom he watches on the street everyday) clearly isn't the fortunate protagonist of "Drive All Night." That man wins his wife back. As the reunited couple get ready for bed, they hear a crowd of kids partying in the street. "Fallen angels" and "calling strangers", the husband says. "Let them go...do their dances of the dead/...There's machines and there's fire waiting on the edge of town/ They're out there for hire but baby they can't hurt us now." What he's saying, I'm sure, is that those kids are who we were, but we've survived and this is who we are. (Check Darkness on the Edge of Town's "Racing in the Street" and "Streets of Fire" for the "angels"-"strangers"-"fire" imagery, and Born to Run's title track for "suicide machines.")
Wow. That's alot to take in on the scenario's Bruce is spinning on the relationship's between the character's in the songs, and I tried to emphasize them whether nameless or not, because they are what gives the lyric's life. And the lessons of life they have learned that invite us to too.
Brian, if you can please post the lyrics to the songs compared here. There's much more good stuff about The River, but this is enough for now. More later when I can. Hopefully quotes from Bruce as well.

Pilgrim
05-04-2001, 10:25 AM
That is definitely cool Dale:D:D:D

I will be back later with the lyrics for a couple of ongs:) It will be a loooooooong post now *LOL*:D

Be right back;)

Brian

Pilgrim
05-04-2001, 07:54 PM
The first one:)

I WANNA MARRY YOU

I see you walking, baby, down the street
Pushing that baby carriage at your feet
I see the lonely ribbon in your hair
Tell me I am the man for whom you put it there

You never smile girl, you never speak
You just walk on by, darlin' week after week
Raising two kids alone in this mixed up world
Must be a lonely life for a working girl

(Chorus)
Little girl, I wanna marry you
Oh yeah, little girl, I wanna marry you
Yes I do
Little girl, I wanna marry you

Now honey, I don't wanna clip your wings
But a time comes when two people should think of these things
Having a home and a family
Facing up to their responsibilities
They say in the end true love prevails
But in the end true love can't be no fairytale
To say I'll make your dreams come true would be wrong
But maybe, darlin', I could help them along

(Chorus)

My daddy said right before he died
That true, true love was just a lie
He went to his grave a broken heart
An unfulfilled life, makes a man hard

Oh, darlin'
There's something happy and there's something sad
'Bout wanting somebody, oh so bad,
I wear my love darlin', without shame
I'd be proud if you would wear my name

The second one:)

THE RIVER

I come from down in the valley
where mister when you're young
They bring you up to do like your daddy done
Me and Mary we met in high school
when she was just seventeen
We'd ride out of that valley down to where the fields were green

We'd go down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we'd ride

Then I got Mary pregnant
and man that was all she wrote
And for my nineteenth birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat
We went down to the courthouse
and the judge put it all to rest
No wedding day smiles no walk down the aisle
No flowers no wedding dress

That night we went down to the river
And into the river we'd dive
Oh down to the river we did ride

I got a job working construction for the Johnstown Company
But lately there ain't been much work on account of the economy
Now all them things that seemed so important
Well mister they vanished right into the air
Now I just act like I don't remember
Mary acts like she don't care

But I remember us riding in my brother's car
Her body tan and wet down at the reservoir
At night on them banks I'd lie awake
And pull her close just to feel each breath she'd take
Now those memories come back to haunt me
they haunt me like a curse
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse
that sends me down to the river
though I know the river is dry
That sends me down to the river tonight
Down to the river
my baby and I
Oh down to the river we ride

The third one:) I LOVE that song:D

RAMROD

Hey, little dolly with the blue jeans on
I wanna ramrod with you honey, till half-past dawn
Let your hair down sugar and pick up this beat
Come on and meet me tonight down on Bluebird Street
I've been working all week, I'm up to my neck in hock
Come Saturday night I let my ramrod rock

She's a hot stepping hemi with a four on the floor
She's a roadrunner engine in a '32 Ford
Late at night when I'm dead on the line
I swear I think of your pretty face when I let her unwind
Well look over yonder see them city lights
Come on little dolly 'n' go ramroddin' tonight

Come on, come on, come on little baby
Come on, come on let's shake it tonight
Come on, come, come on little sugar
Dance with your daddy and we'll go ramroddin' tonight

Hey, little dolly won't you say you will
Meet me tonight up on top of the hill
Well just a few miles cross the county line
There's a cute little chapel nestled down in the pines
Say you'll be mine little girl I'll put my foot to the floor
Give me the word now sugar, we'll go ramroddin' forever more

Fourth song:)

DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN

They're still racing out at the Trestles
But that blood it never burned in her veins
Now I hear she's got a house up in Fairview
And a style she's trying to maintain
Well if she wants to see me
You can tell her that I'm easily found
Tell her there's a spot out `neath Abram's Bridge
And tell her there's a darkness on the edge of town

Everybody's got a secret Sonny
Something that they just can't face
Some folks spend their whole lives trying to keep it
They carry it with them every step that they take
Till some day they just cut it loose
Cut it loose or let it drag `em down
Where no one asks any questions
Or looks too long in your face
In the darkness on the edge of town

Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow
I lost my money and I lost my wife
Them things don't seem to matter much to me now
Tonight I'll be on that hill `cause I can't stop
I'll be on that hill with everything I got
Lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
For wanting things that can only be found
In the darkness on the edge of town

Fifth song:)

DRIVE ALL NIGHT

When I lost you honey sometimes I think I lost my guts too
And I wish God would send me a word
send me something I'm afraid to lose
Lying in the heat of the night like prisoners all our lives
I get shivers down my spine and all I wanna do is hold you tight

(Chorus)
I swear I'll drive all night just to buy you some shoes
And to taste your tender charms
And I just wanna sleep tonight again in your arms

Tonight there's fallen angels and they're waiting for us down in the street
Tonight there's calling strangers,
hear them crying in defeat.
Let them go, let them go, let them go,
do their dances of the dead (let'em go right ahead)
You just dry your eyes girl, and c'mon c'mon
c'mon let's go to bed, baby, baby, baby

(Chorus)

There's machines and there's fire waiting on the edge of town
They're out there for hire but baby they can't hurt us now
Cause you've got, you've got, you've got,
you've got my love, you've got my love
Through the wind, through the rain, the snow, the wind, the rain
You've got, you've got my, my love
heart and soul

Sixth song:)

STREETS OF FIRE

When the night's quiet and you don't care anymore,
And your eyes are tired and there's
someone at your door
And you realize you wanna let go
And the weak lies and the cold walls you embrace
Eat at your insides and leave you face to face with
Streets of fire

I'm wandering, a loser down these tracks
I'm dying, but girl I can't go back
'Cause in the darkness I hear somebody call my name
And when you realize how they tricked you this time
And it's all lies but I'm strung out on the wire
In these streets of fire

I live now, only with strangers
I talk to only strangers
I walk with angels that have no place
Streets of fire

Seventh song:)

RACING IN THE STREET

I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a 396
Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor
She's waiting tonight down in the parking lot
Outside the Seven-Eleven store
Me and my partner Sonny built her straight out of scratch
And he rides with me from town to town
We only run for the money got no strings attached
We shut `em up and then we shut `em down

Tonight, tonight the strip's just right
I wanna blow `em off in my first heat
Summer's here and the time is right
For goin' racin' in the street

We take all the action we can meet
And we cover all the northeast state
When the strip shuts down we run `em in the street
From the fire roads to the interstate
Some guys they just give up living
And start dying little by little, piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
And go racin' in the street

Tonight, tonight the strip's just right
I wanna blow `em all out of their seats
Calling out around the world, we're going racin' in the street

I met her on the strip three years ago
In a Camaro with this dude from L.A.
I blew that Camaro off my back and drove that little girl away
But now there's wrinkles around my baby's eyes
And she cries herself to sleep at night
When I come home the house is dark
She sighs "Baby did you make it all right"
She sits on the porch of her daddy's house
But all her pretty dreams are torn
She stares off alone into the night
With the eyes of one who hates for just being born
For all the shut down strangers and hot rod angels
Rumbling through this promised land
Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea
And wash these sins off our hands

Tonight tonight the highway's bright
Out of our way mister you best keep
`Cause summer's here and the time is right
For goin' racin' in the street

Eight song:)

BORN TO RUN

In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected
and steppin' out over the line
Baby this town rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
`Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend
I want to guard your dreams and visions
Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims
and strap your hands across my engines
Together we could break this trap
We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back
Will you walk with me out on the wire
`Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider
But I gotta find out how it feels
I want to know if love is wild
girl I want to know if love is real

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard
The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors
And the boys try to look so hard
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist
I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets tonight
In an everlasting kiss

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight
but there's no place left to hide
Together Wendy we'll live with the sadness
I'll love you with all the madness in my soul
Someday girl I don't know when
we're gonna get to that place
Where we really want to go
and we'll walk in the sun
But till then tramps like us
baby we were born to run

ENJOY EVERYONE:D

Brian

fuzzwuzz
05-04-2001, 10:41 PM
Yeah, Because tramps like us, baby we were born to run!!
Play 'em again Brian!;)

Pilgrim
05-07-2001, 11:58 AM
Dale!!:D You will LOVE this:D:D

SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT

Crazy Janey and her mission man were back in the alley tradin' hands
`long came Wild Billy with his friend G-man all duded up for Saturday night
Well Billy slammed on his coaster brakes and said anybody wanna go on up to Greasy Lake
It's about a mile down on the dark side of route eighty-eight
I got a bottle of rose so let's try it
We'll pick up Hazy Davy and Killer Joe and I'll take you all out to where the gypsy angels go
They're built like light
and they dance like spirits in the night (all night) in the night (all night)
Oh, you don't know what they can do to you
Spirits in the night (all night), in the night (all night)
Stand right up now and let it shoot through you

Well now Wild young Billy was a crazy cat and he shook some dust out of his coonskin cap.
He said, "Trust some of this it'll show you where you're at, or at least it'll help you really feel it"
By the time we made it up to Greasy Lake I had my head out the window and Janey's fingers were in the cake
I think I really dug her `cause I was too loose to fake
I said, "I'm hurt." She said, "Honey let me heal it".
And we danced all night to a soul fairy band
and she kissed me just right like only a lonely angel can
She felt so nice, just as soft as a spirit in the night (all night)
In the night (all night). Janey don't know what she do to you
Like a spirit in the night (all night), in the night (all night)
Stand right up and let her shoot through me.

Now the night was bright and the stars threw light on Billy and Davy
dancin' in the moonlight
They were down near the water in a stone mud fight
Killer Joe gone passed out on the lawn
Well now Hazy Davy got really hurt, he ran into the lake in just his socks and a shirt
Me and Crazy Janey was makin' love in the dirt singin' our birthday songs
Janey said it was time to go
So we closed our eyes and said goodbye to gypsy angel row, felt so right
Together we moved like spirits in the night, all night
Baby don't know what they can do to you
Spirits in the night, all night
Stand right up and let it shoot right through you

Now go visit his website;)

Just click here:) www.hazydavy.com

Brian:D:D

fuzzwuzz
05-07-2001, 10:48 PM
My name is David J. Mieras. You probably don't know who I am or recognize the name, but you may have heard of me. A long time ago, my friend Bruce Springsteen wrote a song titled
"Spirit in the Night" and the nickname Bruce
gave me was Hazy Davy.

In Nineteen seventy I shared my first attempt @ writing with my favorite girlfriends in Neptune High School. The topics were few, but the stories many. Surfing and music dominated the content. I joke that my Dutch heritage gave me the presence of mind to record legendary events that few people experienced. That first story was titled, "Walkin' the Boards!"(coming soon)

Fong Ghoul, I hate television! Why do I habitually click this stupid ass remote every night before fallin' asleep? Wait, what's this about? Hey, it's Bruce Springsteen my old friend from Asbury talkin' bout the past. Wait a minute, did he just say what I thought he said? Damn, I find somethin' for once that connects, only to catch the tail end. Was this a hilarious joke minus the punchline?
That October night in Nineteen Ninety Eight, David would not sleep a wink. His mind processed a wealth of historical knowledge. He reacted like a desert fish coming to life when a decades long drought finally hits the brakes. One thing he did catch during the VH-1 Legends Series was the phrase, "The Fastest Guitar on the Jersey Shore." His mind raced through flashback after flashback, of a time and era which filled their life completely. He knew immediately that the words Bruce spoke triggered his life long ambition to tell some stories. Yeah, the guy who wrote songs about Hazy Davy, their friends, some place called Greasy Lake, and spirits in the night. Growin' up with Bruce, now that's one tough act to follow.

Good job Brian! Of course my thought was "yeah right. The guy's pretending." After looking at it I don't think so. I wonder if this means we will be getting some cool stories about Bruce from his old friends. He also mentioned someone named Lance that will be featured. Who's that? I wonder why we don't hear things like this from any of Garth's old friends or family? But who would believe them if they did? Or maybe they just want to be left alone, ya know?

Pilgrim
05-08-2001, 07:36 PM
Dale:)

I think they try to walk the line;) There are FRIENDS and "Friends":)
the last one are those who "confirm" gossip about stars, and feed the press, and I think most Garth's and Bruce's friends try to avoid that:)
"Hazy Davy" has been writing for Greasy Lake for quite a while now I think, so he should be THE Hazy Davy:)

fuzzwuzz
05-08-2001, 11:29 PM
Cool! Ahh..what's Greasy Lake?

Pilgrim
05-09-2001, 07:52 PM
A Danish owned Bruce page on the net:)

www.greasylake.org

fuzzwuzz
05-09-2001, 10:00 PM
Brian, this is very, very interesting! First off, loved the slogan that flashes at ya: "THE POWER, THE PROMISE, THE MAJESTY, THE MYSTERY, THE MINISTY, OF ROCK 'N' ROLL, GREASY LAKE. I read some of the Greasy Lake Chronicles and was intrigued that the lake is in Ocean County where I am from, and that the 'characters' mentioned in it are all in the above song, Spirit in the Night. Between this info and the book I'm sharing from, looks like this will be a long thread indeed. I'll keep up with it as much as I can. I get my hands into so much at once I can't keep up with myself.
! Lol! But this is cool! Also, do you know why this site is Danish and not American, seeing as it features guys from Jersey who know Bruce? I see Hazy Davy says he is Dutch heritage. It's cool it is Danish, for your sake. Again, good work Brian! Thanks!

fuzzwuzz
05-16-2001, 01:06 AM
I'll just keep posting stuff I come across. Here's more from Bruce about the relationship between man and woman..

...(Joyce) Heiser, to whom Springsteen frequently dedicates "Drive All Night," has been subjected to backstage scrutiny this time around because one theme that takes up a lot of room on The River is marriage and relationships--the ties that bind. "That's the hardest thing for me to talk about. I don't know. I'm in the dark as far as that stuff goes. It took me five albums to even write about it. People want to get involved, not because of social pressure, not because of the romantic movies they grew up on. It's something more basic than that, it's very physical and it presents itself. It's just the way men and women are.
" My mother and father, They've got a very deep love because they know and understand each other in a very realistic way. Whatever form relationships take is up to the people involved, I guess. But on the album the characters are wrestling with those questions--the guy in 'Stolen Car,' the guy in 'Wreck on the Highway', 'Drive All Night,' the guy in 'Sherry Darling,' even. It is a puzzle and a question, it's hard to separate it from the tradition, very hard to separate it from the impressions that are created in you as you grow older. That's why I wanted 'I Wanna Marry You' and 'The River' together, 'cause they're similar songs, similar feelings.
"Evevybody seems to hunger for that relationship, and you never seem happy without it. I guess that's good enough reason right there. It just got to a point where all of a sudden these songs about things of that nature started coming out. I think you do tend to think about that particular thing around thirty. But even up till then, when I was writing all the earlier songs, 'Born to Run' and stuff, they never seemed right without the girl. It was just part of wherever that person was going, that guy was going. It wasn't gonna be any good without her."

Pilgrim
05-16-2001, 07:40 PM
That is a great quote Dale:D:D

I read some of the Greasy Lake Chronicles and was intrigued that the lake is in Ocean County where I am from, and that the 'characters' mentioned in it are all in the above song, Spirit in the Night.
That is great:) I think the majority if not all of the names and places
in his songs are real:D That's why he is the BEST:D

! Lol! But this is cool! Also, do you know why this site is Danish and not American, seeing as it features guys from Jersey who know Bruce? I see Hazy Davy says he is Dutch heritage. It's cool it is Danish, for your sake.
I have no idea about that:o But I do know that the owner Karsten and the co-owner have a bootleg of every single show (probably 98% of them) Bruce have ever played. And that is many of them on tape, video or CD:)
They have A LOT of Bruce stuff, and I would bet that any of the ones here on PG who have attended a show and remember which one, could get a copy of that show:)

fuzzwuzz
05-16-2001, 10:33 PM
oh wow. But how would Bruce feel about his old friends HE made famous(sort of), selling or burning bootlegs of his shows? I thought it was good they were honoring their old friend online. Maybe they just want the attention of his fans at Bruce's expense?
By the way, the lady I work with whose brother met Bruce hung out with him some at The Stone Pony. I don't know this guy but I'll ask her to get more info, if any of value.

Pilgrim
05-17-2001, 07:01 AM
Oh it was not his old friends:) More the owners of Greasy Lake:)
They also took it off Greasy Lake:)
Bruce's old friends has nothing to do with it:)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
05-27-2001, 12:19 AM
Ok. I can't let this thread just die even if I have lost track of where I left off, but going back to the book on Bruce I keep coming across his comments that seem so Garth in how he wants to express real humaness in his songs and the feeling of being connected to real people through them. An emphasis on the heart. Lots of good insights galore about living through the songs. Ever since I learned about this realness through Chris and Garth I'm amazed how this carries over to so much of the music and entertainment industry as a whole. But some, like Bruce, seem to have a good handle on this already as he's been dreaming and living the dream since childhood..

"I want to find out what you can do with a rock & roll band...I'm trying to apply the original idea of our band, which was that the possibilities are vast. I first started to play because I wanted to do something good--I wanted to be proud of myself, to feel good about myself. And I found the guitar, and that gave it to me; it gave me my sense of purpose and a sense of pride in myself. And that is the gift of life. It was my lifeboat, my lifeline--my line back into people. It was my connection to the rest of the human race, you know?
Before that, it was a strange existence. I was a big daydreamer when I was in grammar school. Kids used to tease me, call me 'dreamer.' It's something that got worse as I got older, I think. Until I realized that I felt like I was dying, for some reason, and I really didn't know why. I think that's a feeling a lot of people have. And so now I go out onstage and I feel like there's people dying out there, there's people really hurt--you know because you feel the same thing. And this is your chance to do something about it. So when I go onstage at night, I feel like there's something at stake, that it has some meaning. It's not just another night.
When I sit down and write, I try to write something that feels real to me. Like, what does it feel like to be thirty-five or something right now, at this point and time, living in America? It's not much more conscious than that. I generally try to write songs that are about real life, not fantasy material. I try to reflect people's lives back to them in some fashion. And if the show is real good, your life should flash before your eyes in some way--the show's long enough, that's for sure! I think on a night when you're really good, you can come and hopefully you can see your relationships with your parents, brothers, sisters, your town, your country, your friends, everything--sexual, political, the whole social thing. It should be a combination of a circus, a political thing and a spiritual event. And hopefully you'll come and your life will flash before your eyes. That's kind of what I'm out there trying to do, you know?..
..I never look out at my crowd and see a bunch of faces..It's never happened. Any night I've ever been onstage, I see people--individual people in individual seats out there. That's why, before the show, we go out and we check the sound in every section of the room. Because there's some guy sittin' back here, and he's got a girl with him, and, you know, it's like, this is their seat. And what you hope for is that the same thing goes the other way--that when they look up at you, they just don't see some person with a guitar..
..I know this is idealistic...but part of the idea our band had from the beginning was that you did not have to lose your connection to the people you write for. I don't believe that fame or success means that you lose that connection, and I don't believe that makin' more money means you lose it. Because that's not where the essense of what you are lies. That's not what separates people. What separates people are things that are in their heart. So I can not just ever surrender to that idea. Because I know that before I started playing, I was alone. And one of the reasons I picked up the guitar was that I wanted to be part of something. And I practiced and I studied and I worked real hard to do that, and I ain't about to give it up now."
You know how Bruce talks about our lives flashing before our eyes? The music does that for me now, even without a concert. Like a 3d soundtrack to the story of my life. Kinda neat how the music opens the whole world up to you through artists like Garth and Bruce. Must be all this emphasis on things of the heart. The spiritual. That desire to connect to the people.
It's been said Garth patterned his concerts and Chris Gaines career after Bruce's. Yet, as similar as their purpose in the music goes, Garth does seem to be going a different direction at this point. More back to his roots before money and fame. But I guess that would be another topic entirely. There's more good quotes to come like the above.