PDA

View Full Version : DVD - The Live Album - Double Sided Disk

Garthoholic
08-10-1998, 02:25 PM
Well everyone, I finally think I have figured out how the Live Album will be if it is going to be released on the DVD format.<p>I have a DVD-ROM player and it plays movies.. I've been researching it, and I think that the CD Disk is going to have 2 sides (Double Sided)..<p>I think one side will be the Video and Audio mixed for the DVD format.. And the other side will be CD audio for the regular CD player format.. Although I could be wrong. Or their could be two seperate disks.. Im not sure.. But I think these are the only real 2 options that the Live Album could even be done w/ for the DVD format. <p>Oh well... I guess we all are going to have to wait and find out. :)<p>Well, hope I learned you something today.<p>DavidN

mom25
08-10-1998, 02:59 PM
I think your right but now we all have to go out and buy DVD players before November. Oh well, Christmas in November this year.N

Garthoholic
08-10-1998, 03:24 PM
Yep.. Some DVD players can be Real expensive. And the other thing is that these companies are always coming out with something better. I just got me a PC-DVD Drive for under $200.00.. It plays movies real great.. And you can hook it up to the T.V. to play Movies also. <p>This is probably the cheapest route to DVD.<p>Although, The Live Album will still be Great for anyone without a DVD player. So I guess nothing has really changed... Except New Features.. :)<p>DavidN

Garthoholic
08-10-1998, 03:25 PM
Yep.. Some DVD players can be Real expensive. And the other thing is that these companies are always coming out with something better. I just got me a PC-DVD Drive for under $200.00.. It plays movies real great.. And you can hook it up to the T.V. to play Movies also. <p>This is probably the cheapest route to DVD.<p>Although, The Live Album will still be Great for anyone without a DVD player. So I guess nothing has really changed... Except New Features.. :)<p>DavidN

turtle
08-11-1998, 05:05 AM
that's really odd. I had heard not too long ago that the live album had been bumped from DVD to two normal CD's in order to keep costs down. I might be wrong about this, but that is the latest I had heard. Does anybody know for sure if it's strictly a DVD release, a double disc release, or a combination of the two?N

dj
08-11-1998, 05:45 AM
I heard on a radio interveiw in Salt Lake that it would be something that can be played on both cd players and dvd players. Garth said you don't have to have a dvd player to listen to it.N

turtle
08-11-1998, 10:32 AM
Thats interesting. Not trying to get technical, but CD players can't read DVD encoded discs. But DVD players can read normal CD's (at least second generation DVD's can). That would mean to make it playable on both systems, it would have to be DVD encoded on one side, and normal CD encoded on the other, and I'm pretty sure that can't be done (not completely positive though). If anybody else knows of any other ideas about how this could work, or sees an error in my thinking, please respond.N

ILoveGarth
08-11-1998, 11:15 AM
Here's what I know about DVD. There are DVD-Audio discs, DVD Video Discs and Legacy discs. The DVD-Audio discs will not be playable on a lot of DVD players, thus the DVD-Audio players which are trying to replace the CD player. They can be played on regular CD players, but without DVD quality. The DVD-Video discs have to be played on a DVD player. And the legacy discs have two layers, one that will play in existing CD players, plus a high-density layer for DVD-Audio players. So, if he says you don't need a DVD player for his new album, then my guess would be that it's a legacy disc. But these discs are far more expensive than CD's, so I would just as soon have it be a regular CD. As far as I know, there is no DVD format that has the capability of Audio/Video that can be played on a CD player for just the Audio. Well, I hope this helps, but I guess all we can do is wait and see.<p>God Bless!<br>Chris N

Garthoholic
08-11-1998, 11:41 AM
Yeah... I guess were are just going to have to wait and find out. <p>But I did just get a DVD-ROM Kit, and i've noticed that a lot of the cd's are double sided. One side is for the Wide Screen Version and the other for Standard.<p>Anyway, If Garth does go with DVD, then I thought that the CD could be made so that one side (Side A) Could be used for the all of the DVD players.. And Side B could be used for all of the CD Players.. So either way... you can't lose... <p>I also know of some great links for information about DVD..<p>http://www.dvdresource.com<p>and http://www.digitalbits.com<p>Hope this helps. :)N

kconnor
08-11-1998, 12:24 PM
I heard that the Live Album is going to be a double cd because they were having problems manufacturing them.N

Shannon Greer
08-12-1998, 04:17 AM
I just wanted to throw my two cents here about DVD and the live album. Well, the DVD audio standard had not been set my the advising bord that had been apointed to set the industury standards for DVD. Well I really should say the standard had not been voted apon and inplemented and likely will not untill early next year. DVD technology is cutting edge, so standards must be set, in which they have for the video side of DVD. It is very true that DVD audio is likely to replace conventional CD format, that is if DVD is here to stay... don't forget Europe has been using something called mini-disk<br>for years that is only a little over two inches (smaller than a regular cd disk.)<br>Some think this is the technology of the future. This is why I don't think we will see a live album on DVD in the fall, there are just too many questions left unanwsered about the DVD format. Don't forget with common telavision sets we cannot take full advantage of DVD anyway, DVD technology was created with the idea of HDTV (high defination tv) in the near future. So if you are thinking of buying a DVD player get one for the computer, unless your willing to pay the HUGE pricetag of a new HDTV set.<p>That's it for now!<br>bye bye :) N

gblady
08-12-1998, 04:46 PM
At the Seattle concerts I attended, GB said that the technology of the DVD was not perfected yet, and that the live album would be 2 CD's and that was why he had to do more recording. N