PDA

View Full Version : Me and Garth in OK

driftinawaywgb
03-20-2001, 02:22 AM
This is my first post. I've been visiting for quite some time, but recently had my first personal encounter with Garth and had to share. Most of my friends and family are not country music or Garth Brooks fans, so I wanted to go where my experience would be appreciated :)

I live outside of Knoxville,TN and travel to Nashville on business quite often, but my first meeting with Garth was totally by accident in Oklahoma! I ran into him at a gas station of all places! We were both filling up! I was watching the numbers go round trying to get up the courage to speek to him. I was sure he'd finish before I'd get my nerve. And he was puting the gas cap back on when I finally spoke!

It was short and sweet, since he had a friend and one of his girls with him. There may have been more than one, but I only saw the one that popped her head out the window to say, "Daddy, come on" :)

I told him what a huge fan I was and thanked him for all the great music and shows over the years. He was very sweet and thanked ME; for what I'll never know. I told him that I was sorry he'd had such a tough time lately and he assured me that he was doing fine and enjoying spending time with his kids and like on cue, the little head popped out urging him to go. I said he should go, but he continued to talk for another 5 or 10 minutes. I now see what everyone here has talked about. He totally made me feel like he was as interested in me as I was in him, asking about where I was from, what I did, about my family. He is a very generous man, regardless of his musical talent. I will remember my few minutes with him always. And my favorite part of my visit: when he kneeled down to tie the lace on my boot! He is a daddy through and through! :)

Thanks for letting me share,
Andie

annette
03-20-2001, 02:26 AM
Very cool Andie!

annette

AZamy77
03-20-2001, 04:37 AM
That's so cool, Andie! As if it weren't cool enough that you got to talk to him....you got to see that he is so real! Pumping gas! No limo driver for him! How sweet of him to tie your boot! :) And yes, we do appreciate hearing how you met him!

Thanks for sharing your moment in Oklahoma with us! :)

This reminds me of a lady who is a toll booth worker in OK. I have a Garth license plate, and when I got up to the window she asked me about it, then proceeded to tell me how she met him a couple weeks earlier at that very toll booth! She said he was going through to pay the toll and was really sweet signing something for her! And to think he could have one of those Speedpasses! LOL! All I know, is if you have a Speedpass, you don't have to stop for the toll booth!

Amy :)

Driftin2GB
03-20-2001, 07:59 AM
Andie,
That kinda thing happens alot around here. I am happy for you that you got to meet him out and about like that. To me he seems alot more relaxed in a normal enviroment than in a professonal one.

Sam

Vanessa
03-20-2001, 03:02 PM
Lucky you!!! :) :) Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

Vanessa :)

CheyenneWindRoper
03-20-2001, 03:08 PM
Oh Andie, I loved hearing about your GarthMoment!:)

He tied your boot? ;) Very cool!:cool: That gave me goose, er, uh, I mean GarthBumps! What a sweet and endearing man. I wish everybody could meet him. This world would be a better place! :):):)

Thanks so much for sharing. I do hope you'll stick around and post more with us!:D

:)
Mary Liz

driftinawaywgb
03-20-2001, 03:59 PM
You are all so right about meeting him in that environment. I'm so glad that I met him that way. My only regret: I didn't have the nerve to ask for a Garth hug :( I've read about them here many times, but somehow making him hug me at a gas station seemed "over the line" :) Well, maybe next time. I did get a two handed handshake, where he kind of rubbed and warmed my freezing cold hands :) Mary Liz: he did tie my boot. Probably because I had a brace on my leg at the time and he knew it would be a challenge for me to do it myself :) And Amy: I'm sorry to inform those toll booth workers in OK, but I think he does have a speedpass now. At least the vehicle he was in that day had one I think. I didn't look that closely, but he had something that looked like it. Oh, well, glad she got her moment. Thanks for the warm welcome to the forums.
Andie

gtbjunkie
03-20-2001, 08:57 PM
Andie welcome to PG! Very cool way to meet Garth. I hope when I finally get to meet him it is in such a great way. That was so sweet of him to tie your boot, always compassionate thats GARTH! :)
Nadine

Lonesome Dove
03-20-2001, 09:06 PM
Oh, he is such a sweet, sweet, man!! Just goes to show you why we all sing his praises here at PG. He is so real. Just like one of us, only nicer. Please return often and let us know if you happen to run into Garth again!!

hugeGBnutt
03-20-2001, 09:43 PM
what a cool guy Garth is!:D ...thanks for sharing your story!:)

Monica Lockhart
03-20-2001, 09:48 PM
and Welcome to PG!

What a wonderful Memory you will have of you first meeting with the G-Man!

CheyenneWindRoper
03-20-2001, 10:08 PM
Poor toll booth collectors :( No more Garth stops!

That was so cool, Andie! I was not questioning that he'd bend down and tie your boot lace. Not at all. What I meant by that was, that he never ceases to amaze me with the little gestures he does out of kindness for his fellow man!

Don't worry kiddo, the time will surely come, and you will get that GarthHugg.:) It was sweet of you to not ask when his little girl(s) were there! (I am ignoring that you were probably nervous about asking! teehee ;)) The two handed handshake was great too...sounds like it warmed your heart as well as your hands!

:)
Mary Liz

Crackers
03-22-2001, 01:45 AM
WOW!!! How cool was that?!?!? If you've been reading the forums very long, you know that there is no detail too small and insignificant for us. Like: what was he driving? what was he wearing? etc., etc., etc.?

Anything else that you remember, don't hesitate to tell us. What a fun and exciting experience! LUCKY YOU!!!

NJ4GARTH
03-22-2001, 02:01 AM
Hey Andie,

ConGARTHulations on your meeting Garth. He is something else isn't he. ;)

honky
03-22-2001, 05:39 AM
WOW!! VERY INTERESTING GB MOMENT!! :D

Thanks for sharing!!

Tommy

~~Garth tied your shoe...~~ :eek:

Gemo
03-22-2001, 02:11 PM
Wow Andie, that was a great story to share with us. He seems to have touched so many lives in some manner, shape or form. I know he did mine and that was such an outward gesture of love and compassion for him to notice your shoe was even untied and to tie it for you. He is such an example to the rest of the world that it is the little things that make all the difference in the world. Even if he was not some big entertainer he would come across as the same man that he is...loving and compassionate and always putting someone else before himself. That is true humility and also that is true love. To always give that somebody else that esteem and to show that sort of love one must love themselves first because how can we give it away if we do not love ourselves first. He is not selfseeking but looking out for the highest good in all. That is such a wonderful and truly humble characteristic of such a well known but not conceited man. You can tell that the love of God lives within him as he is like no other or anybody that I have met anyway...ha,ha. To give of oneself is the greatest gift of all and he does it in his purest form. Sounds like I am beginning to like the guy...ha, ha. :-)

driftinawaywgb
03-22-2001, 02:13 PM
Crackers: hmm details? Well, he was wearing jeans, boots and a black sweatshirt (I think it had a sporting team on it)and that ever present Chris hat. And as far as what he was driving, it was a green SUV...I won't say exactly what it was, just in case there are any crazy people in Oklahoma that might chase down every one they see. :) Oh, he also had kind of goofy sunglasses on. Actually, they're pretty popular with sports guys, I just don't care for them. :) I was glad when he took them off to talk to me. That's all the I remember. I was kinda nervous.

boppityboo
03-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Wow Andie, what a great way to meet Garth. Totally unplanned, and spontaneous. :) How cool is it that you go to fill up at the local gas station and run into your favorite celebrity. :):) When you mentioned his daughter telling him to hurry up, I had to laugh. It sounds just like ME and my kids when my husband stops to talk to someone and takes forever. lol He seems to know EVERYONE in town. Especially at gas stations, well seein as he is in the gas/convenience store business, I'm not suprised. lol Thanks for sharing that wonderful moment with great detail.

Gemo, thanks also for sharing your Garthmoment. What a thrill that must have been. To know Garth just as another celebrity before you meet him and to become a great fan after spending some time with him. Oh... how we all envy you... but at the same time are happy for you, and wouldn't begrudge you your moment. :) If Garth could talk to everyone on this Earth for a few minutes, imagine what the world would be like :)

Have a Garthriffic weekend,
Ellie :)

Gemo
03-30-2001, 06:13 PM
Thank you Ellie for your comments. Imagine what the world would be like if just once a day everybody had a "garth moment" and reached a hand out to a neighbor with a kind word or just a smile. :-) We really could change this world we live in but it takes each of us to do our part no matter how small. It is the small things that show that love abides within us. And love is not love until you give it away.

That meeting you had with Garth, Andie was not just a chance meeting. I really hope and pray you do get to see Garth again and you get yourself one of those nice big hugs...and who knows, maybe his collar may have to be fixed on his jacket. :-)
Hope you enjoy your visits and hope to hear from you again. :-)

Pam

Wendi5000
04-02-2001, 09:39 PM
cool :)

MelMalovesGB4eva
04-02-2001, 10:46 PM
Lucky you.:)
Very cool.:cool: