PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Garth's childhood

fuzzwuzz
01-30-2001, 03:28 PM
Vanessa, I think you got me into the 'question' mode here, so let's see if I can get some interesting replies as you tend to get! By the way. I apologise that I have been misspelling your name for months now. I finally caught myself. Sorry...
<br>
<br>Now to the questions...
<br>
<br>Does anyone know if Garth lived in Oklahoma his whole childhood or places he may have visited as he was growing up? Summer retreats?
<br> It seems to me in all the bios I've read about him the focus is always on his Nashville years and not much before that. Surely he has family out of state, especially concidering his Mom was married twice? And what about Grandparents? Does he have any still alive? I've never heard of any.
<br> Just curious. Because it hit me the man has a real life behind the scenes just like we all do. Not that it's any of our business. But Garth is like family to us. His family is like our family.
<br> I was also wondering the earliest he ever started singing and writing songs. Was it with his Mom at a young age? What about his early teen years?
<br>
<br> If anybody knows something we don't I'd sure appreciate it if you let us in on it. As long as it's nothing Garth would prefer to keep to himself.
<br> Otherwise, please...indulge us with your exportese(is THAT a real word?)/knowledge or lack of...N

Vanessa
01-30-2001, 03:34 PM
LOL!! It's okay fuzzwuzz!! :) I'm sorry but I can't answert any of these questions for you :( Maybe someone else can help you!! hehehe :)
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

kristen166
01-30-2001, 03:52 PM
I think he lived all his youth in Oklahoma because I never read or heard him say of anyplace other than Oklahoma when he refers to his hometown and stuff. Then he moved to Nashville. Being he is well compensated he could have many homes around the U.S or World and just not let many people know about them. He seems to frequent California but I am not sure if he has a house there.
<br>
<br>I read somewhere that he has a brother that lives in Missouri and his sister lives in Washington state, however, I am not totally sure that info is correct.:)<P>(This message has been edited by kristen166)N

Chris Gaines
01-30-2001, 04:07 PM
Does anyone know if Garth lived in Oklahoma his whole childhood or places he may have visited as he was growing up? Summer retreats?
<br>It seems to me in all the bios I've read about him the focus is always on his Nashville years and not much before that. Surely he has family out of state, especially concidering his Mom was married twice?
<br>
<br>***Garth has always lived in the Tulsa, Yukon area in Oklahoma. :)
<br>
<br>And what about Grandparents? Does he have any still alive? I've never heard of any.
<br>
<br>***I doubt any Grandparents are still alive since his dad is pretty old now.. they could be.. but he had never mentioned them.
<br>
<br>Just curious. Because it hit me the man has a real life behind the scenes just like we all do. Not that it's any of our business. But Garth is like family to us. His family is like our family.
<br>I was also wondering the earliest he ever started singing and writing songs. Was it with his Mom at a young age?
<br>
<br>***Garth was a "Family clown as a kid, always trying to attract attention and did anything he could to get that attention. The earliest I've heard of him writing songs was in College. He did get a guitar as a teen (I believe) and learned to play it by ear, all by himself. :)
<br>
<br>What about his early teen years?
<br>
<br>***Read above :)
<br>
<br>That's what I think is correct, but others can correct me if I'm wrong please :)
<br>JasonN

garthsgirl1
01-30-2001, 05:42 PM
Hey Jason...
<br>
<br>I just love reading your responses!!! You are an overflowing river of information. I "used" to think that I knew a lot about Da Man... but every time I read your responses I learn more and more. KEEP IT UP!!
<br>
<br>Tracey<P>(This message has been edited by garthsgirl1)N

Snow
01-30-2001, 06:16 PM
Hey Jason... there is that cute story about how his mom and dad took them to Yukon at night to try and hide where they were moving. I can't remember the details... like where they were moving from... too late at night. I bet since I jogged your memory, you'll remember. ;)N

garthfamily
01-30-2001, 07:06 PM
okay this comes from a neat book I found at a half price bookstore the other day
<br>
<br>The Garth Brooks Scrapbook by Lee Randall
<br>
<br>Born Feb 7 1962 Tulsa OK
<br> Named Troyal after dad and grandfather Garth after great great grandfather (civil war general)
<br>Age 4 moved to Yukon
<br>age two interupted funny night to capture everyones attention
<br>first public performance in 4th grade played a fig newton
<br>Played Rock and Roll in highschool
<br>1st song wrote was called Blue Rose
<br>started 1st band at 17 called the Nyle
<br>
<br>hope that helps
<br>
<br>Sharon
<br>N

majmom
01-31-2001, 06:23 AM
Sharon-
<br>
<br>I've been looking for that book-it's out of print. I don't suppose your bookstore has another one?
<br>
<br>thanks,
<br>
<br>KerryN

boppityboo
01-31-2001, 11:28 AM
Hey Dale, this book I have talks all about Garth growing up. It's called" One of Kind, Workin' On a Full House". In another thread, Hawk told about a high school pic of Garth in a football helmet. I put that pic up for all to see along with along with more pix from his high school days. If ya want, I will scan some of the text to read yourself on Garth's formative years. This book is from 1992 and like the 'Garth Brooks Scrapbook' is out of print. I've never seen it anywhere and only seen it once on ebay.
<br>
<br>The link for the above mentioned photos is :
<br>http://pages.sprint.ca/EGarthSite/photosII.html
<br>
<br>On that page, I will put up the text as soon as I can.
<br>
<br>Have a Garthriffic day,
<br>Ellie :)N

Paula
01-31-2001, 01:33 PM
I have that scrapbook as well. When I was in Nashville a couple of years ago, there were several copies in the Ernest Tubb Record Shop near Opryland. I was surprised to see them there since it is out of print.
<br>
<br>I was also successful about a year ago in finding One of a Kind, which I had been trying to locate for a long time. I ended up getting two copies because I had ordered it online from two different places and they both found a copy for me. I got one copy through Borders, who used Harvard Booksearch to locate a copy, and the other copy came from Barnes & Noble.
<br>
<br>PaulaN

fuzzwuzz
01-31-2001, 04:04 PM
You know what? I think I have that book around the house somewhere. Got it from ebay last year. I'll check.
<br> But Ellie, in the meantime some text would be swell. N

fuzzwuzz
01-31-2001, 05:07 PM
By the way Ellie, those pictures of Garth as a teen are so cute!N

garthfamily
02-01-2001, 04:57 AM
ANyone in the Seattle area with a scanner? There's a couple little kid pictures of Garth as well as high school pictures in this book if you want to get together sometime email me
<br>
<br>
<br>Rldairy@aol.comN

boppityboo
02-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Hey Dale, and everyone else. :) Dale was asking questions about Garth's childhood, and I said I would post some text out of 'One of a Kind, Working On A Full House.' I have it up. Also I put up a page of about 18 pictures of Garth from 1992-1994 from some of my magazine collection. :) Go check them out, if ya want. Here are the urls:
<br>
<br>http://pages.sprint.ca/EGarthSite/photosII.html
<br>
<br>http://pages.sprint.ca/EGarthSite/photosIII.html
<br>
<br>Enjoy!
<br>
<br>Have a Garthriffic day,
<br>Ellie :)N

JoAnn L.
02-03-2001, 05:54 AM
(I was also wondering the earliest he ever started singing and writing songs. Was it with his Mom at a young age? )
<br>
<br>I read in the Scrap Book that his first musical instrument was a used Gibson guitar with only (3) strings. He was (16). He & a kid across the street tried to teach each other, after a few days the kid quit but Garth kept going. He was a self taught guitar player never took lessons, didn't read music....not sure if he does now?? He also had a banjo that got him interested in Blue Grass where he formed a BG band. His Mom taught him to sing, how to use breath control and enunciation as a child.
<br>
<br>(Does anyone know if Garth lived in Oklahoma his whole childhood or places he may have visited as he was growing up? Summer retreats? )
<br>
<br>As far as history is written he was born in Tulsa, moved to Yukon at age (4). If I understand what I read correctly, (GB SB page #10, paragraph #7 Country Music Reporter alledged???)...there was a time the family lived in Hollywood, CA. when Colleen was in the business...but when her career hit a dead end, Garth's Dad shipped the clan back to OK. permanently. Not sure if Garth had been born yet...because it sounds like when Kelly & Garth were born she gave up her career to raise a family.
<br>
<br>Sounds as if he went through all his formative education in Yukon, then moved to Stillwater to attend OSU.
<br>
<br>I also remember reading about the family going on vacations...but can't remember where those places were? Some theme parks, lakes etc.??? I'll have to do more reading.
<br>
<br>JoAnnN

Hawk7lte
02-03-2001, 05:58 AM
Well worth the read Ellie - thanks for going to the efforts to post it and provide the link.
<br>
<br>:)
<br>HawkN