PDA

View Full Version : Question about Garth's Opry Membership

DixieChick4GB
01-25-2001, 02:42 PM
When you become a member, you're supposed to perform at least a certain number of times a year, is that right? How many times? Does Garth perform the required amount of times? Do the other "big names" perform that many times? Can they kick you out if you don't fulfill your commitment? How many times has Garth performed? Does he get in the line-up enough in advance for people to know he's coming? Just wondering because I don't know that much about it.
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>
<br>ElaineN

meli
01-25-2001, 07:24 PM
I can't answer all your questions but...
<br>
<br>Technically yes, Garth could have his membership revoked if he doesn't perform a minimum number of times a year (I think now it's 12 times a year). The point, though, is that it is doubtful they would do such a thing. For one reason, the GOO sees how much money they make when Garth does perform and how many people either come to the Opry just to hear Garth sing or, better yet, how many fans come to the Opry for the first time.
<br>
<br>Another reason they would be reluctant to remove Garth would be the open respect he has for the older, senior members of the Opry, and some of them would be willing to champion his cause if someone made the move to kick him out. Plus Garth speaks probably more reverently about the Grand Ole Opry and its purpose in Country Music than just about anyone, which gives the GOO an excellent PR man.
<br>
<br>As for your question about other members who don't comply with the rules: I think it's fairly commonplace, and the reason they get away with it is due to their status as stars in Country music. Reba doesn't appear 12 times a year, and I don't think Dolly does, either. When Loretta Lynn showed up in October for the 75th anniversary show, I think that may have been the first time in a couple of years that she appeared.
<br>
<br>Hope that answers part of your question.
<br>
<br>MeliN

PJ
01-26-2001, 03:50 AM
I think the Opry realizes that current stars are on tour a lot and allow them to be out promoting country music around the world instead of worrying about making it back home for the minimum number of dates. Also remember that each show counts as a performance so a member is credited for 4 performances if they play all shows in one weekend.N

DixieChick4GB
01-26-2001, 10:00 AM
Thank you guys. You're the best. :)N

writegerl
01-26-2001, 10:04 AM
I see why they wouldn't kick anyone out and all, but I don't think it is entirely fair that "big names" don't play by the rules.
<br>
<br>MHO
<br>:)
<br>CrystalN

meli
01-26-2001, 08:50 PM
Crystal--the rules were set up back in the days when an appearance and membership on the Grand Ole Opry would make or break your career, and I think the rules have been kept around more out of tradition than anything else. And of course back then the primary source of hearing about the new stars in Country was the radio.
<br>
<br>Nowadays with cable channels, satellites, etc., it's not as necessary for a Country artist to be on the GOO or obtain membership. It's a nice feather in the hat, but not necessary for a good career anymore. I think the GOO understands that too and doesn't crack the whip on some of the rules because they know the artists can always go somewhere else.N